MAC Studio Fix Fluid SPF 15

Filtered by eye Color : Blue

3.5

Doesn't live up to the hype. Goes patchy, oxidises and rubs off easily. Looks Cakey and the lack of pump on the bottle annoys me. I hate wasting make up so I'll consider using the bottle on nights out in the dark where it only needs to last a few hours and nobody can see me close up.
I used a good primer and setting powder so I don't know why it was so terrible on my skin.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I like to keep this in my stash but it wouldn't be my 'go-to' choice.

The product itself comes in quite elegant packaging, nice glass bottle but with a pump sold separate. In fact, I had bought this online only to realise I needed the pump so I had to go to the MAC store anyway and fork out €5 for a piece of plastic. Ridiculous really considering I paid €32 for this. One could argue that you don't 'need' the pump, but trust me.. it gets messy without it.

On the plus side, the coverage is good: it gives medium, buildable coverage, which I find perfectly suitable for most days, and it’s also fairly matte, so it helps combat my oily areas. As a very pale person, I picked up NW10 which was a decent enough colour match, if not a little bit too pink toned.

As for the negatives, there is a couple that comes to mind. First and foremost is that Studio Fix is not very forgiving when it comes to dry patches on my skin which isn't ideal because I have combination skin prone to dehydration. And secondly, the formula is not as blendable as it markets itself to be. There's also a slightly chemical smell, but that doesn't bother me too much.

Final thoughts wise, although I do like it, it’s not quite ‘Holy Grail’ material for me. Once I’ve used it up, I’ll probably try something else. I wouldn’t rule out going back to it in future, though, if only because it’s one of the few foundations out there that actually is pale enough for my skin.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

If you like a full coverage flawless foundation you will LOVE Mac Studio Fix Fluid.
I have an oily T-zone, mild breakouts and this foundation lasts all day for me. I do notice it lasts longer when paired with my Mac Primer. This is basically a high end (better) version of Revlon Colorstay. So if you like that, you will love this. I wish the pump came with this foundation, but it's such a minor setback to how much I love this product. I will repurchase over and over =)

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

God knows I've tried with this foundation. The Estée Lauder ones keep me matte all day. This one is literally like adding oil to my face by the hour. I use a matte primer, then the foundation, then bake with a loose powder, THEN add studio fix powder and it still ends up a horrific oily mess by 11am. Truly awful and certainly not for oily skin. I'll stick to my trusty Lauder, should of know better.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

For reference: I am N15 with mostly dry but slightly combination skin - oily around immediate nose and slightly on forehead/chin. I am 33 years old with acne-prone skin around the chin/jawline which I treat with a prescription anti-acne product. Despite my acne-prone area, my foundations of preference tend to be dewy/glowy since the moisture helps to prevent fine lines/aging, and I can always target specific oil-prone areas with powder if need be. This foundation is cited as being non-acnegenic on MAC's website and did not cause extra acne for me while I used it.

To compare, my foundation go-to has been the dewy finish of L'oreal True Match Lumi in W1-2. I had thought I wanted something with more opaque coverage so I decided to try MAC Studio Fix Fluid Foundation. I deducted lippies for packaging because a pump should be included with the bottle for hygiene's sake rather than forcing clients to pay extra.

My application method is a layer of SPF moisturizer, followed by blending with the Real Techniques beauty sponge. I finished with MAC Pro Longer concealer and Laura Mercier translucent finishing powder. I touch up throughout the day with powder on nose approximately 3-4 times.

The foundation is advertised on the website as being oil-controlling and leaving a mattified effect. I think this foundation delivers what it promises on the website. The finish was *fairly* nice, it wasn't particularly awe-inspiring ("she has perfect skin!") but it wasn't as chalky as L'Oreal's classic True Match foundation ("she's definitely wearing foundation").

Ironically, even with my slightly oily T-zone, this foundation is too drying for me. I noticed that it was making the fine lines on my forehead become more pronounced because of its drying effect, and because it settled into those lines.

I have tried adding oil to this foundation to dilute/increase moisture. I have also tried not powdering my forehead. I have never had to do that before. Using both tactics, this foundation was still too drying for me.

I would recommend this product for someone whose face produces a lot more oil than mine, and who is looking for better quality than drugstore but not as expensive as comparable mattifying higher-end foundations from Marc Jacobs, Laura Mercier, Hourglass etc. Although the finish you get with those products would probably be more "skin" like.

I ended up going to MAC to try on some foundations even though my go to is the Matchmaster. I tried the studio fix and looked at it through one of the small handheld mirrors and thought it looked okay so I ended up purchasing it. When I ended up putting it on at home and looked at it in my big mirror at home it looked awful and there was absolutely no coverage at all. When I went to go return it I was telling the woman why I didn't like it and I was wearing it at the time and she said she didn't even know I was wearing foundation so I guess that's saying something. I will definitely be going back to my Matchmaster.

I’m 46 and have very red, sensitive, acne-prone skin with an extremely oily t-zone and large pores – yet dry patches around chin and mouth. I have raised acne scars and many red scar spots. I’ve used MAC Studio Fix Fluid NC35 for many years. It’s a bit too yellow for me, but I chose it intentionally to balance out the red. I decided to sample different foundations to see what I might be missing….

I’m still not convinced MAC is the holy grail, but after testing four others, I came back to MAC, like running back to a lover after realizing you made a big mistake.

NOTE: Due to super oily skin, I mixed all foundations with Laura Mercier Secret Finish Mattifying Gel. I prefer to mix rather than apply in separate layers. It makes the foundation lighter and easier to work with. This sacrifices some coverage, but I’d rather have a more natural look.

I wore each of these four, mixed with clear mattifying gel and applied with a foundation brush, for an entire day over one week. I didn’t take off points for mismatching color, as that can be fixed.

Estee Lauder Double Wear – Desert Beige: PROS: Very full coverage and the longest lasting oil control. Stays put – won’t come off on your gym towel when you sweat. A little goes a long way. Extensive color selection. CONS: Even mixed with gel, it was nearly too much. Direct application would certainly look fake. It pooled into patches near the end of the day. It’s fairly dry and settles into large pores, magnifying them. If you like a super-heavy made-up look that won’t budge, this is for you.

Hourglass Immaculate Liquid Powder Foundation – Shell: PROS: The coverage was medium and looked natural. It kept oil at bay as well as MAC or a bit better. It didn’t separate or pool into patches. Overall, I thought it was fairly decent. CONS: Shell was a bit too pinkish for me. Not sure I could create a match even if I mixed two colors due to the very limited color selection. I liked this better than ELDW, but it wasn't special.

NARS All Day Luminous Weightless Foundation – Santa Fe. PROS: Good coverage that tones down redness well. CONS: It sucks. Thin, watery consistency makes it VERY difficult to apply, even when mixed with gel and using a foundation brush. It dries quickly and sticks to dry patches. It pooled into more patchy areas after long wear. Oil control was average. I don’t have the time or desire to buy a stipling brush and painstakingly spend 40 minutes managing this mess into a smooth, even coat. PASS!

Estee Lauder Double Wear Light - #3: PROS: Of all, this was my best color match. It provides good coverage but is not as heavy and cakey as Double Wear. Oil control is good, but not as good as DW. CONS: Like DW, it still has a tendency to settle in, and magnify, large pores or other problem areas. And although it’s more natural looking than DW, I still felt it looked obvious. Very small color selection. But a decent foundation, if you can find a color match. I just got lucky with #3.

MAC Studio Fix Fluid - NC35: Friday, I put on my old standard to compare it to the rest. Maybe I’m clinging to the past, but I have a newfound appreciation for it! PROS: It has a velvety creaminess that makes it easy to apply and spread before it sets. Unlike the others, it really seems to make the surface of my damaged skin appear smoother. It does not settle in, and magnify, large pores, wrinkles or dry patches. It provides good coverage and covers redness well. It doesn’t pool or form patchy areas after long wear. CONS: Medium coverage, which I like, but not ideal if you want full. The pump doesn’t come with it. It doesn’t hold the record for oil control, and it comes off easily if you wipe your face. But I’m willing to pay these costs for the glowing, natural, smoothed-over look that none of the others delivered.

After cheating with four others, I’m back to my current love: MAC.

I feel like people either love or hate this foundation. Personally, I am really enjoying it. It's very smoothing and it glides onto my skin really nicely (for reference I pair it with a la base Lancome primer). It's also a high coverage foundation, which I appreciate because it means I don't have to add much concealer afterwards! It also stays put all day (however I do use a UD setting spray so maybe that plays a part in it). As for the whole oxidizing problem a lot of people talk about, I haven't found that personally.
I also like this foundation because it does give a glow but it's not too greasy and tacky like some glowy foundations, which is good because my skin does get oily throughout the day.
All in all, I really like it and would recommend for all skin types really!
The worst part about this product has to be the packaging, an absolute nightmare to get it out with no pump due to the thick consistency, other that, all good!

I always find myself coming back to this foundation.
So far, I'd have to say it's a favourite :)
Unfortunately it did take some trial and error to find my shade though.
Another downside is that it does transfer quite a bit but I've been testing out some finishing sprays so hopefully I find something to settle that issue.
This foundation has brilliant coverage which I love. It also lasts quite a long time DOUBLE LOVE!
I'd definitely repurchase :)

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

Had high hopes for this foundation, especially since it is MAC and I love a lot of their stuff. But this foundation just didn't cut it for me. The coverage isn't great, I found I had to use more concealer than I did with my usual Revlon Colorstay. Also the girls at MAC counters tend to not do great at color matching, so I ended up receiving the wrong shade :(