MAC Studio Fix Fluid SPF 15

3.5

This is my second bottle after I ran out of the last one a year ago. I bought but never finished about 5 foundations in the meantime and I just had to get back to this one. Great foundation, it does what is says and has an impressive colour range. NC15 matches my skin colour beautifully. I do have to moisturise my skin very well and I need a primer to keep the foundation in place, but after setting it with a powder, this foundation isn't going anywhere. A tip received from a beauty blogger is to use a tiny bit of translucent powder on top of the primer, underneath the foundations. It works wonders and keeps my skin matte for a good 12 hours. I use a wet beauty blender so the foundation is a little less thick on my skin and it blends wonderfully.

Though I read some of you saying that it causes break outs, it's not what I experienced. I have a very oily T zone with huge pores that tend to clog, but I haven't encountered a pimple other than on the usual spots. Because of the foundation's thickness, it does need proper cleaning after using it (which is why I use cleaning wipes, miccelar water AND washing it afterwards).

1 lippy less because you have to buy the pump separately. That's about the only ridiculous thing about this MAC foundation.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This product gave me the worst cystic breakout. I am in my twenties and had gotten my skin under control for years. This made me feel like a teenager again in a bad way. It also itched my skin so there must be ingredients in here I am allergic to. I read that it is the talc, which is in a lot of MAC products and makes sense because nothing from MAC ever worked out for me. If you have sensitive skin, beware.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I first bought this foundation after talking with a MAC beauty consultant and this is the foundation she recommended for my wants/needs: full coverage, concerns with oily skin. It does give full coverage and it cover imperfections well. It also lasts for me about 4-5 hours before becoming shiny, but it eventually it always does and before the end of the day. It does not oxidize, but it does move and separate on me even with a silicone primer (maybe I'm doing something wrong). It's a good choice for people with imperfections or who need more coverage for other reasons. But, there are so many other choices out that I like better, even DS brands. I did give it 4 lippies because it does what it says, for the most part.

Pros: Color selection, full coverage, has SPF, though only 15, leaves a nice flat, but not dry matte finish

Cons: Scent, doesn't stay matte very long on my oily skin even with a powder setting and primer, doesn't come with a pump - you have to purchase that separately

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Amazing Foundation for oily skin!! But i would not buy it again beacuase of the animal testing.

This foundation is really full coverage and has a range of shades to suit your skin. Keeps my face shine-free all day and doesn't move. It might be a bit drying so I wouldn't recommend it to very dry skin types, unless you intensely moisturise your face before application. Only down side is that it seeps into my smile lines, apart from that coverage, wear and colour is spot on. Love it

For the longest time Mac didn't have a foundation light enough for my skin. I stopped at a Mac Counter about a month ago for some lipstick, and saw a foundation on their shelf that looked really similar to the foundation I normally wear. I asked to try it on, and it matched perfectly! It was NC10. Normally I don't like matte foundations, but I do tend to get a bit oily during the summer so I decided to give this foundation a go. It was on sale too!

Now I am someone who has pretty clear skin, except for redness and the occasional closed comedone. I never get active breakouts, and I have yet to find a product that causes me to break out. Holy crap, this foundation. I look like I'm going through puberty again. I have tons of pimples all over my face, which I now have to figure out quickly how to get rid of them because my wedding is in a month.

I also hate the smell of this foundation, it smells like chemicals! It's also really cakey and caused my skin to look dull and aged.

I will never purchase this foundation again!

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Neutral

I was SO excited to reunite with my beloved Studio Fix, which had been a trusty makeup companion for years. MAC Studio Fix was my HG for a decade, until I had children and didn't have the time to drive out far to go to the MAC store (no MAC close by). Recently I have started ordering MAC online (yay) and was excited to try my trusty Studio Fix.

They must have reformulated this in the meantime. When I excitedly put the foundation on my face, I COULD NOT even blend it! IT DRIED INSTANTLY on my face! It was thick and heavy and set almost immediately. It was SO bizarre! I can absolutely see why other comments here say to mix it with oil or moisturizer - it does not blend well at all! I NEVER experienced this in the times I used it in years past. My skin is naturally oily, but I moisturize well and properly - so my skin was not parched when I tried it on.

I had to wash my face entirely, and waste my application - and use a different make up. However, I am not closing the door on this makeup just yet.

I suspect because it's such a powerful, heavy foundation that it requires EXTREMELY moisturized skin beforehand. Almost, apply it before your moisturizer is completely dry. I might forgo primer when I try it again, as that has to set and dry. I'll give this one more shot before deciding it is no longer any good.

Also, NC 30 which was my all-year color, was significantly darker and less green/yellow based than years before. My olive skin had a sad day indeed.

The fragrance was indeed strong too, but nothing unmanageable in my opinion.

Certainly a disappointing reunion with my previous HG!

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I really like this foundation. I mix with a small amount of Weleda almond oil and gives a beautiful finish as can feel it can look a bit flat without, works great on my oily skin even with the oil added and got lots of compliments on how good my skin looked.
But I am nc35 and my first few bottles were great with a yellow undertone but the last bottle I bought is very orange and unwearable! Bought previously from Debenhams and the orange bottle directly from the mac website so definitely not fakes. Really not sure what happened but disappointed. Not sure I would buy again due to this.

ACNE:
I read lots of reviews saying that this foundation would break me out especially because I have acne-prone skin and it gets easily irritated. I am on my 4th day of using it and my acne is just the same as it always was if not better (but that is because I am using the body shop tea tree oil line which has cleared me a lot). Another plus to this foundation is that there is SPF15 and SPF is supposed to be great when protecting acne and avoiding scarring. I put this on around 6am and take it off around 12 hours later and remains good all day. YOU MUST REMOVE FOUNDATION PROPERLY OR YOU WILL BREAK OUT. I remove with a cetaphil wipe and then wash my face, use a toner, moisturize, and then put tea tree oil treatment on after.

PACKAGING:
The glass bottle is inconvenient for traveling and you need to pay separately for the foundation pump. It is also pretty pricey but works well so I can overlook that.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I like to keep this in my stash but it wouldn't be my 'go-to' choice.

The product itself comes in quite elegant packaging, nice glass bottle but with a pump sold separate. In fact, I had bought this online only to realise I needed the pump so I had to go to the MAC store anyway and fork out €5 for a piece of plastic. Ridiculous really considering I paid €32 for this. One could argue that you don't 'need' the pump, but trust me.. it gets messy without it.

On the plus side, the coverage is good: it gives medium, buildable coverage, which I find perfectly suitable for most days, and it’s also fairly matte, so it helps combat my oily areas. As a very pale person, I picked up NW10 which was a decent enough colour match, if not a little bit too pink toned.

As for the negatives, there is a couple that comes to mind. First and foremost is that Studio Fix is not very forgiving when it comes to dry patches on my skin which isn't ideal because I have combination skin prone to dehydration. And secondly, the formula is not as blendable as it markets itself to be. There's also a slightly chemical smell, but that doesn't bother me too much.

Final thoughts wise, although I do like it, it’s not quite ‘Holy Grail’ material for me. Once I’ve used it up, I’ll probably try something else. I wouldn’t rule out going back to it in future, though, if only because it’s one of the few foundations out there that actually is pale enough for my skin.