MAC Studio Fix Fluid SPF 15

Filtered by hair type : Straight age: 36-43

3.5

First of all, I have a love and hate relationship with this product. However, with the proper skin prep and letting all your moisturizer and primer set properly (moisturizer = 15 mins, primer = 5 mins) the finish that you will get from this foundation is amazing. It will give you a demi matte almost satin finish.

If you have a slightly oily t-zone and normal everywhere else then this foundation was made for you. People complain about how cakey this foundation is and I say you have to apply the product in small sections and always start with 1 pump.

Application method: Beauty Blender
Primer: Too Faced Primed and Poreless
Setting Powder: Rimmel Stay Matte (just in the centre)
Setting Spray: Skindinivia Finishing Spray (oil control)

The most beautiful finish ever! Definitely will repurchase!

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

DESCRIPTION OF ME ~ Light yellowy/olive complexion with a tendency to get redness on my cheeks and around my nose. MAC C2ish/NC20. Large pores, oily and prone to blackheads and occasional acne. Mid-thirties, some sun damage, (melasma) and fine creases on my forehead.

GENERAL DESCRIPTION~ "A modern foundation that combines a natural matte finish and medium, buildable coverage with broad spectrum UVA/UVB SPF 15 protection. Applies, builds and blends easily and evenly. Comfortable and long-wearing, helps minimize the appearance of pores and imperfections, giving skin a smoother, more flawless look and finish." From the site and well, I can't argue with that one bit. It does all those things!

PACKAGING~ Glass bottle, screw top, general pain unless you buy the pump which is essential and makes using this a breeze!

CONSISTENCY/TEXTURE~ Creamy, thick liquid foundation.

APPLICATION~ Pretty blendable actually. It's not a hard foundation to work with at all. I use it over a silicone primer.

FINISH~ The finish is matte but not cakey. I use powder because I like a refined-no-pore look but really, it doesn't need a whole lot of powder. Over a primer this will look natural. On lightly moisturized skin or no primer type base this might not look at well. It's a pro product to some extent and not meant to be used just out of the bottle. I use 1 pump, so, it really is a base. I'm not using this for total coverage or anything, that's what concealer is for. So, if you were to use more than 1 pump you might indeed end up with a bit of cake.

COVERAGE~ With one pump and if I use my fingers I get a naturalish medium coverage and a stippling brush (I'm currently using an ELF!) and 1.5-2 pumps and layer it can get pretty close to full. Not quite like an emollient foundation might but that's what concealer is for!

STAYING POWER~ With a good dusting of finishing powder it lasts all day without fail all day on my oily, dark pored skin.

SCENT~ It still smells like alcohol tbh and that's fine by me. It fades after it dries so not an issue.

COLOUR~ Ok, this is where MAC gets dicey or rather, other reviewers. I actually do NOT find MAC foundations "orange" like so many people seem to. You have the wrong shade if you do. NC is yellow based and being that our skin (dare I say ALL skin) is yellow to varying degrees, this is perfect and very well thought out makeup. Just got to a lighter shade than you think you might need! I find myself having to go darker in drugstore brands because it's only the dark shades that aren't darn pink. :| Also, it's not "oxidizing" you are using the wrong shade!! And, if NC15 "oxidizes" it's because MAC's lightest colour is not light enough for some people. So, that said, NC20 is perfect for me.

OTHER NOTES~ To those saying it breaks you out, it is unfortunate. As far as I can tell any thick foundation like this might have the tendency to. So, it's not the foundation it's your skin, ladies. If I stopped wearing makeup I'm pretty sure I would never breakout. It's not going to happen (for me) I adore makeup so I live with the occasional breakout and I do not blame my makeup. Even if I used something rich and oily like MAC's full coverage (grease pot basically) I would not BLAME the makeup. That stuff is not intended for every day use, it's occlusive to a large degree, of course it's going to break me out! I still break out once in awhile and I don't think this foundation has anything to do with it other than that's the nature of makeup.

OVERALL~ I've used this foundation exclusively for over 2 years now and repurchased many times I adore it. If you are oily and want a long lasting foundation and love yellowy shades, this is a wonderful option. I have just ordered Estee Lauder's Double Wear on a whim because I think I'm in the mood to play around. I have 3 backups of this foundation though and have no intention of trading or getting rid of them.

Thank you Seclusae2 giving me permission to use your great reviewing format.

INGREDIENTS~ ACTIVE INGREDIENT: Octinoxate 2.50% Other: Water/Aqua/Eau, Cyclopentasiloxane, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Butylene Glycol, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Dimethicone, Magnesium Sulfate, Silica, Dimethicone/PEG-10/15 Crosspolymer, Laminaria Saccharina Extract, Algae Extract, Tocopheryl Acetate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Lethicin, Hydrogenated Lethicin, Xanthan Gum, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Methoxy Amodimethicone/Silsesquioxane Copolymer, Laureth-7, PEG/PPG-18/18 Dimethicone, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Propylene Carbonate, BHT, Chloroxylenol, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben [+/- Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Chromium Oxide Greens (CI 77288)]

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I have normal to oily skin and this foundation is perfect for me!...It's oil-free, which is wonderful, because it won't contribute to my face breaking out. It has a great texture, not too heavy, but just enough coverage. I also use the "MAC Studio Finish Concealer spf 35" in conjunction with this foundation, and I love it! :)

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I reviewed this a couple of years ago, cant remember why i stopped using it but in retrospect its the only one that works for me. Mac sff is not for everyone. It has to be respected & used with care. Get the color right, apply it carefully and it can look stunning. Get it the color wrong, apply heavily and you will look like a bad drag queen.

Cons:
. oxidises
. transfers (only slightly)
. smells very industrial
. doesnt come with a pump
. contains silicone which can block pores
. some blotting mabe required
. can look greasy if worn for a prolonged period (10+ hrs)

Pros:
. phenomenal coverage
. stays in place
. smooths skins appearance
. doesnt accentuate fine lines
. easy to blend
. conditions skin
. oil free
. photographs well
. doesnt fade, go patchy or cake

I use a standard brush to apply, a primer and only blot when absolutely necessary. Having tried NC42, 37, 35 & 30, Im an NC30 and use NC37 when im tanned.. I find NC37 is more golden and a better color than NC35. I think my foundation search is over:)

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

I LOVE this foundation!! The first MAC mua used the mineralize liquid on me but I wasnt happy with the coverage so another mua at another MAC store told me I should be using this instead. It covers much better for me and stays on pretty well throughout the day.

.....Edit...I had been noticing flaking and bumps on the sides of my face and on my forehead. I stopped using this foundation and the problem went away. I tried it again a few weeks later and the same bumps and flakeys came back. Since I have totally stopped using this the problems have never reoccurred so I can't give a good review on this now :(. Too bad because it was the best lasting foundation I'd used

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Loved the way this foundation looked on my skin, loved the coverage and the color match was great...BUT, it broke me out after 2 days of wearing it. Nothing negative to say about it other than it just didn't work with my skin type.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I am a novice MAC foundation user, but after 1 day I have found my holy grail foundation after 2 years of trying every foundation under the sun from cheap to overpriced. Let me explain: I am 42 years young who was blessed with great even toned skin until 2 years ago when I developed melasma patches on my forehead, sides of both cheeks and a dreaded shadowy "moustache". The worst was the patch in the centre of my forehead which was large and obvious. My previous HG foundation ELDW Fresco (which I wore for 10 happy yrs) no longer covered my blotchy skin tone and obvious melasma. After 40 my skin tone also changed and became dull and the ELDW seemed to make my skin appear mask-like and even duller.

Since then I have been through a foundation journey costing a small fortune and delivering disappointing results. I tried Chanel (Perfection Lumier), Dior (Forever, Diorskin), Clarins (Everlasting), EL (Futurist), Revlon (Colorstay), Elle Bache, Vichy Dermablend, Lancome (Teint Idole 24hr) and others.

I have struggled to find a full coverage foundation that did not look mask-like and did not settle in the fine lines around my eyes and the horizontal lines above my brows.
Yesterday, I visited a MAC store and was advised to try the studio fix foundation in NC 20 and concealer . I was so delighted with the full flawless, but natural looking finish that I aborted my usual practice of taking a sample home before buying and took the plunge and bought the foundation. I was anxious that once I got home, I would suffer buyer's remorse when I applied the foundation myself in natural light.
I was thrilled this morning when I applied the foundation with the Mac mineral finish powder in medium over the top which I also purchased and achieved the same flawless, full coverage, but still natural looking finish the make up artist achieved. I could have cried to see my melasma patches completely disappear for the first time in 2 years without looking like I had a mask on. I was blown away when checking in the mirror after 6 hrs wear and very hot humid weather to see my make-up had not separated, oxidised or slid in my lines as all my other foundations did. I am so happy and at the price of $49 in Oz so much more reasonable than the other high end foundations that did not deliver for the price paid. Love love and will be loving MAC products. Will be repurchasing and adding to MAC products in the near future. Took one lippie off for the absence of a pump (sold separately).

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Nothing amazing, in my opinion. My makeup artist cousin used this for my engagement party celebration. She used NW20, which was a decent match for me.

Personally I think it was too heavy for my liking. I do not have to cover up acne scars, am not prone to break-outs & I don't have hyper pigmentation.

I am reddish on my cheeks & it covered up that well. But so did other more lightweight foundations.

Within a couple hours I was shiny and my foundation looked cakey.

A foundation has to be amazing for me, or I just never use it/buy it again.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Once I'm done with my bottle, I'm kissing this goodbye. I've used this on-and-off for years and think sticking with it was more out of habit and the MAC hype than the results it gives. When I objectively look at what it does for me -- not enough coverage, makes me break out on my chin -- I don't know why I had separation anxiety from this foundation as it's not "all that" if you know what I mean. Try another foundation besides this one b/c it's no better than some of the drugstore brands I dabble in. Not worth the price.

PROS: Good coverage (almost too good). Good shade choices.

CONS: Too thick and pasty for me. Doesn't come in a pump, so those who don't like to contaminate the makeup with their fingers won't like that aspect. Ended up oxidizing a little orange on me.

ALTERNATES: A cheaper dupe for this is Revlon's Colorstay Foundation, but it doesn't last on the skin quite as long. For something more matte and much cheaper: I used to always go back to my L'oreal Visible Lift Serum foundation, but....I've recently found something that is the best thing for my wrinkles I've EVER tried, Make Up For Ever - Ultra HD Invisible Cover Stick Foundation.

REMOVAL TIPS: If you are prone to clogging, you may want to remove this with a cleansing oil before using your regular cleanser.

APPLICATION TIPS: If you're concerned about this settling in pores, you can pat L'oreal's Magic Perfecting Base into pores first (and make sure to let it "set" for a minute, at least).