MAC Studio Fix Fluid SPF 15

Filtered by hair type : Straight

3.4

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I like to keep this in my stash but it wouldn't be my 'go-to' choice.

The product itself comes in quite elegant packaging, nice glass bottle but with a pump sold separate. In fact, I had bought this online only to realise I needed the pump so I had to go to the MAC store anyway and fork out €5 for a piece of plastic. Ridiculous really considering I paid €32 for this. One could argue that you don't 'need' the pump, but trust me.. it gets messy without it.

On the plus side, the coverage is good: it gives medium, buildable coverage, which I find perfectly suitable for most days, and it’s also fairly matte, so it helps combat my oily areas. As a very pale person, I picked up NW10 which was a decent enough colour match, if not a little bit too pink toned.

As for the negatives, there is a couple that comes to mind. First and foremost is that Studio Fix is not very forgiving when it comes to dry patches on my skin which isn't ideal because I have combination skin prone to dehydration. And secondly, the formula is not as blendable as it markets itself to be. There's also a slightly chemical smell, but that doesn't bother me too much.

Final thoughts wise, although I do like it, it’s not quite ‘Holy Grail’ material for me. Once I’ve used it up, I’ll probably try something else. I wouldn’t rule out going back to it in future, though, if only because it’s one of the few foundations out there that actually is pale enough for my skin.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

For reference: I am N15 with mostly dry but slightly combination skin - oily around immediate nose and slightly on forehead/chin. I am 33 years old with acne-prone skin around the chin/jawline which I treat with a prescription anti-acne product. Despite my acne-prone area, my foundations of preference tend to be dewy/glowy since the moisture helps to prevent fine lines/aging, and I can always target specific oil-prone areas with powder if need be. This foundation is cited as being non-acnegenic on MAC's website and did not cause extra acne for me while I used it.

To compare, my foundation go-to has been the dewy finish of L'oreal True Match Lumi in W1-2. I had thought I wanted something with more opaque coverage so I decided to try MAC Studio Fix Fluid Foundation. I deducted lippies for packaging because a pump should be included with the bottle for hygiene's sake rather than forcing clients to pay extra.

My application method is a layer of SPF moisturizer, followed by blending with the Real Techniques beauty sponge. I finished with MAC Pro Longer concealer and Laura Mercier translucent finishing powder. I touch up throughout the day with powder on nose approximately 3-4 times.

The foundation is advertised on the website as being oil-controlling and leaving a mattified effect. I think this foundation delivers what it promises on the website. The finish was *fairly* nice, it wasn't particularly awe-inspiring ("she has perfect skin!") but it wasn't as chalky as L'Oreal's classic True Match foundation ("she's definitely wearing foundation").

Ironically, even with my slightly oily T-zone, this foundation is too drying for me. I noticed that it was making the fine lines on my forehead become more pronounced because of its drying effect, and because it settled into those lines.

I have tried adding oil to this foundation to dilute/increase moisture. I have also tried not powdering my forehead. I have never had to do that before. Using both tactics, this foundation was still too drying for me.

I would recommend this product for someone whose face produces a lot more oil than mine, and who is looking for better quality than drugstore but not as expensive as comparable mattifying higher-end foundations from Marc Jacobs, Laura Mercier, Hourglass etc. Although the finish you get with those products would probably be more "skin" like.

I ended up going to MAC to try on some foundations even though my go to is the Matchmaster. I tried the studio fix and looked at it through one of the small handheld mirrors and thought it looked okay so I ended up purchasing it. When I ended up putting it on at home and looked at it in my big mirror at home it looked awful and there was absolutely no coverage at all. When I went to go return it I was telling the woman why I didn't like it and I was wearing it at the time and she said she didn't even know I was wearing foundation so I guess that's saying something. I will definitely be going back to my Matchmaster.

I feel like people either love or hate this foundation. Personally, I am really enjoying it. It's very smoothing and it glides onto my skin really nicely (for reference I pair it with a la base Lancome primer). It's also a high coverage foundation, which I appreciate because it means I don't have to add much concealer afterwards! It also stays put all day (however I do use a UD setting spray so maybe that plays a part in it). As for the whole oxidizing problem a lot of people talk about, I haven't found that personally.
I also like this foundation because it does give a glow but it's not too greasy and tacky like some glowy foundations, which is good because my skin does get oily throughout the day.
All in all, I really like it and would recommend for all skin types really!
The worst part about this product has to be the packaging, an absolute nightmare to get it out with no pump due to the thick consistency, other that, all good!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Oh my lord this foundation. No. just no. Luckily I just got a sample of NC 25 my tried and true color and put it on before going to see the Warriors play in Oakland. Anyways I put it on and it was completely ORANGE. It looked awful. Maybe it had oxidized while on display. I dunno but the finish looked heavy and it was orange. Ugh so ugly. I'll stick to my water weight or Mac mineralize when using a Mac foundation.

Hi guys,

So I've bought this a couple of times in the past but still fee the same problems -

*Transfers really bad
*Feels greasy - does not feel oil free at all
*Looks very orange - shades NC37 and NC40
*Medium coverage - will still need concealer for acne scars/blemishes
*Rubbish for hot climates or even those odd sunny days - just wears off

The only bonus is that it retails at £22 - cheaper than other brands at Selfridges but is it even worth the price...NO!

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

Had high hopes for this foundation, especially since it is MAC and I love a lot of their stuff. But this foundation just didn't cut it for me. The coverage isn't great, I found I had to use more concealer than I did with my usual Revlon Colorstay. Also the girls at MAC counters tend to not do great at color matching, so I ended up receiving the wrong shade :(

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

First, put a fucking pump in it MAC! Don't make me buy one separately. 🙄 Secondly, I love this foundation! I'm in NW15 and it is perfectly matched to me. The smell is iffy, very sunscreen like, but the coverage is great and I always gets a flawless finish.

I appreciate the fact MAC offers so many different shades. It is medium-full coverage foundation.

First thing I noticed is the smell. It smells like wet paint. And it is quite strong.... Well I thought I would be patient and tolerate the smell if it wears well. But the foundation oxidizes after 3 hours or so and turns orangey. This is sad!!

Ahhh, the color matched so well at first, but does not last all day. The smell lasted for hours.

I will not buy again.

I love the colourrange this foundation comes in. NW10 matches my skincolour perfectly. It tends to look cakey when you apply too much, a little goes a long way. I only use one small pump and blend it with a BeautyBlender. I really like how it looks right after aplication.

But...
I don't like how it wears throughout the day. My skin isn't super oily, but after a few hours this foundation starts to move around on my T-Zone and my red areas start peeking through. I tried lots of different product to prime&set, but nothing seems to work. The smell is awfull aswell (like paint), but that's not the biggest issue I have with this founfation. I just really hate how messy it makes my skin look throughout the day.