MAC Studio Fix Fluid SPF 15

Filtered by skin tone : Fair-Medium

3.5

ACNE:
I read lots of reviews saying that this foundation would break me out especially because I have acne-prone skin and it gets easily irritated. I am on my 4th day of using it and my acne is just the same as it always was if not better (but that is because I am using the body shop tea tree oil line which has cleared me a lot). Another plus to this foundation is that there is SPF15 and SPF is supposed to be great when protecting acne and avoiding scarring. I put this on around 6am and take it off around 12 hours later and remains good all day. YOU MUST REMOVE FOUNDATION PROPERLY OR YOU WILL BREAK OUT. I remove with a cetaphil wipe and then wash my face, use a toner, moisturize, and then put tea tree oil treatment on after.

PACKAGING:
The glass bottle is inconvenient for traveling and you need to pay separately for the foundation pump. It is also pretty pricey but works well so I can overlook that.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

God knows I've tried with this foundation. The Estée Lauder ones keep me matte all day. This one is literally like adding oil to my face by the hour. I use a matte primer, then the foundation, then bake with a loose powder, THEN add studio fix powder and it still ends up a horrific oily mess by 11am. Truly awful and certainly not for oily skin. I'll stick to my trusty Lauder, should of know better.

I used this years ago and I liked the finish . It's very concentrated so start off with a bit. I like that it gives that perfected look. If I were to try it again I'd like to see if they have a more neutral shade NC is too yellow NW is ok on me.

This foundation stays on my skin no more than 3 hours and i don't have oily skin.it feels very heavy on the skin.

LOVE IT .....TRIED EVERYTHING LOVE IT ..MAC IS TRIED AND TRUE BEAUTY

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

This was my favourite foundation for a couple of years but only after trying ELDW did I realise how bad this product is. I have oily skin and this foundation barely lasted until lunchtime, I found it easy to blend but would look incredibly orange. If you have oily skin like I do and want a long lasting, mattifying foundation, I wouldn't waste your money on this.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I was recommended this product by my Mac representative, as I was looking for something with full coverage and designed for oily skin. Straight after application it looks incredible, it has a gorgeous nice matte glow, however I found this foundation to last around two hours before it started to shine and bring oil to the surface. After a whole day the foundation was all but non existent. My skin broke out so bad after around two days use, everywhere that I had applied the product.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

I love that i finally found my perfect colour match in this foundation. Always hated looking yellowy or face too dark for my body in pictures and this foundation has helped me with that. It would be better if you didn't have to buy the pump with it, (not that i was unhappy to buy the pump in itself) and then know you can't put the lid on over the pump. Because of travel i was scared to leave the pump head on even when it was turned to the off side in a travel bag but it is not nearly as convenient without the pump when applying makeup. Maybe a smaller or more accessible pump could be made to suit the lid or vice versa. Regardless of this, amazing colour range, dermatologist approved and non comedogenic. I can quite comfortably wear it on accutane treatment (for my oily skin) as long as i apply a moisturiser and primer first.

I’m 46 and have very red, sensitive, acne-prone skin with an extremely oily t-zone and large pores – yet dry patches around chin and mouth. I have raised acne scars and many red scar spots. I’ve used MAC Studio Fix Fluid NC35 for many years. It’s a bit too yellow for me, but I chose it intentionally to balance out the red. I decided to sample different foundations to see what I might be missing….

I’m still not convinced MAC is the holy grail, but after testing four others, I came back to MAC, like running back to a lover after realizing you made a big mistake.

NOTE: Due to super oily skin, I mixed all foundations with Laura Mercier Secret Finish Mattifying Gel. I prefer to mix rather than apply in separate layers. It makes the foundation lighter and easier to work with. This sacrifices some coverage, but I’d rather have a more natural look.

I wore each of these four, mixed with clear mattifying gel and applied with a foundation brush, for an entire day over one week. I didn’t take off points for mismatching color, as that can be fixed.

Estee Lauder Double Wear – Desert Beige: PROS: Very full coverage and the longest lasting oil control. Stays put – won’t come off on your gym towel when you sweat. A little goes a long way. Extensive color selection. CONS: Even mixed with gel, it was nearly too much. Direct application would certainly look fake. It pooled into patches near the end of the day. It’s fairly dry and settles into large pores, magnifying them. If you like a super-heavy made-up look that won’t budge, this is for you.

Hourglass Immaculate Liquid Powder Foundation – Shell: PROS: The coverage was medium and looked natural. It kept oil at bay as well as MAC or a bit better. It didn’t separate or pool into patches. Overall, I thought it was fairly decent. CONS: Shell was a bit too pinkish for me. Not sure I could create a match even if I mixed two colors due to the very limited color selection. I liked this better than ELDW, but it wasn't special.

NARS All Day Luminous Weightless Foundation – Santa Fe. PROS: Good coverage that tones down redness well. CONS: It sucks. Thin, watery consistency makes it VERY difficult to apply, even when mixed with gel and using a foundation brush. It dries quickly and sticks to dry patches. It pooled into more patchy areas after long wear. Oil control was average. I don’t have the time or desire to buy a stipling brush and painstakingly spend 40 minutes managing this mess into a smooth, even coat. PASS!

Estee Lauder Double Wear Light - #3: PROS: Of all, this was my best color match. It provides good coverage but is not as heavy and cakey as Double Wear. Oil control is good, but not as good as DW. CONS: Like DW, it still has a tendency to settle in, and magnify, large pores or other problem areas. And although it’s more natural looking than DW, I still felt it looked obvious. Very small color selection. But a decent foundation, if you can find a color match. I just got lucky with #3.

MAC Studio Fix Fluid - NC35: Friday, I put on my old standard to compare it to the rest. Maybe I’m clinging to the past, but I have a newfound appreciation for it! PROS: It has a velvety creaminess that makes it easy to apply and spread before it sets. Unlike the others, it really seems to make the surface of my damaged skin appear smoother. It does not settle in, and magnify, large pores, wrinkles or dry patches. It provides good coverage and covers redness well. It doesn’t pool or form patchy areas after long wear. CONS: Medium coverage, which I like, but not ideal if you want full. The pump doesn’t come with it. It doesn’t hold the record for oil control, and it comes off easily if you wipe your face. But I’m willing to pay these costs for the glowing, natural, smoothed-over look that none of the others delivered.

After cheating with four others, I’m back to my current love: MAC.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Oh my lord this foundation. No. just no. Luckily I just got a sample of NC 25 my tried and true color and put it on before going to see the Warriors play in Oakland. Anyways I put it on and it was completely ORANGE. It looked awful. Maybe it had oxidized while on display. I dunno but the finish looked heavy and it was orange. Ugh so ugly. I'll stick to my water weight or Mac mineralize when using a Mac foundation.