MAC Studio Fix Fluid SPF 15

Filtered by skin type : Acne-prone age: 56 & Over

4.5

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

This seems to be a product that can't be described objectively: everyone who uses it has a different experience. My own has been positive--once I learned how to use the stuff.

I bought it because I was curious about the color-matching system that so many people swear by. I turned out to be an NW20--cool-toned and fair/medium. (Not every MAC sales associate agreed, though--one insisted I was NW15.) The MUA who sold me the makeup didn't take much time to explain how to apply it, and as a result I stopped using it for a while.

I am used to thick foundations, because for much of my life I had chronic cystic acne and a red, uneven complexion. So when I first began using this, I laid it on rather generously, even though I'd also bought the brush recommended by the MUA (the 190, a flat, paintbrush-type thing). The result was that I used too much and the liquid looked very yellow on me. I thought that was intentional--an attempt to counteract the redness of my skin--but I didn't like it, so after a while I stopped using it. I took a look at the 187 brush, which applies foundation much more lightly, but it didn't suit me.

Okay, long story short: I finally learned how to use the makeup, and that is to apply it sparingly but evenly. What I do is lightly dip the 190 brush into the bottle (even when the makeup is running low, a shake or two will bring some to the top of the bottle) and spread it over my face thinly. The liquid offers so much coverage and pigmentation that a thin layer is all you need--and anything more will look clownish.

I shouldn't have had to discover this on my own. The MAC sales associates should have told me. But I've found them to be an extremely inconsistent lot--some are good, many are ignorant and lazy. But that's another subject.

This makeup lasts all day for me, from ~7:00 am to 9:00 or 10:00 at night. My oily t-zone does need to be blotted (I like MAC's Blotting Powder in Medium), but blotting it does not remove any of the makeup.

I do think that MAC should make this available in more shades, especially those at the fair end of the spectrum. The lightest "cool" shade that they sell is NW15, and my own NW20 is just one step darker than that. That's unusual in my experience--with most other foundations there are many shades lighter than the one I use.

But, if you can find a shade that suits you, you like medium to heavy coverage, and you learn how to use it, I think you'll be happy.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

PRODUCT: Studio Fix Fluid From MAC

COLOR: NC 30

COST: $ 25.00

DISCRIPTION: Yellow based liquid foundation

COVERAGE: Full coverage

SMELL: Nice smell that I love. When you smell this smell you know your smelling MAC. Lovely smell!

CONTAINER: A glass bottle. It's not easy to apply this with a foundation brush.

WOULD I BUY AGAIN: Yes but it's expensive. Gives full coverage and covers acne well. Worth the price.