MAC Studio Fix Fluid SPF 15

Filtered by skin type : Acne-prone

3.4

Always lasts the whole day on me whether I wear powder or not, some people hate the smell but weirdly enough I like it. Doesn't break me out, amazing coverage :)

In a few words, this foundation does not stay put, does not always dry matte, gets greasy, gets cakey, fades, and also it broke me out.
So this was my first ever high-end foundation, and when I first got it about a couple years ago, I was excited. I would actually use it pretty often (I did not reach for it everyday, I didnt want to waste my expensive product for school), and I used to love it. At this point I have to mention that I have oily skin, especially on my nose and the area around it, some random dry patches, a lot of acne scars and also occasional breakouts, as well as a couple permanent pimples and large pores on my nose. My skin is, in general, pretty bad, so I loved this foundation for the coverage it offered. However, after my break from foundations for the sake of (lightweight, effortless and quick makeup), I actually feel like I must have been blind to like this foundation. First of all, it says it has a matte finish, but it never actually dries down on my skin, unless I set it with powder. Second, it says it stays matte and controls oil, but just a few hours after putting it on it gets greasy, cakey and it fades away, resulting in my acne scars becoming visible. Also it creases under my eyes. Last but certainly not least, the worst of all the cons: it broke me out. I finally managed to make my skin look good and vanish my pimples literally today, no joke, I woke up and my skin looked pretty good. No pimples, no dry patches... And then I had a special event this afternoon and I decided to treat myself and wear my expensive foundation. I WISH I had gone with my 3€ essence concealer! When I got home and removed my disaster of a foundation, I could see a bunch o white bumps and some red pimples that didnt exist before. This is not the first time something similar happens, so I figured it is because of the foundation.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

After wearing this foundation for almost a year, sporadically, I finally threw it out. This was my very first non-drugstore foundation and it was totally not right for me.

The MAC SA recommended this even though I had dry skin because I wanted a fuller-coverage foundation. This made my face actually burn when I applied it and dried my skin out so bad my face and any acne spots would hurt during the day. I have since NEVER had any issue with any other drugstore or high-end foundations before or since. There is something in this that is just bad for sensitive and dry skins.

Once I got this on my face, I found it cakey when applied with a brush and patchy with a sponge. It let a lot of my redness show through in patches and I don't have that much redness. With a sponge, I also find when it's applied with a sponge, it sticks to the sponge and quickly creates this weird dry, sticky, hard shell on it that makes it almost impossible to blend the rest of it in.

The final nail in the coffin for me is the packaging. This has been around for however long and it's the only MAC foundation without a pump. For how much this costs, it should at least have a way of dispensing it that isn't pouring it out onto your hand.

HARD pass. I literally have no idea how some people are able to use and love it.

This foundation is really full coverage and has a range of shades to suit your skin. Keeps my face shine-free all day and doesn't move. It might be a bit drying so I wouldn't recommend it to very dry skin types, unless you intensely moisturise your face before application. Only down side is that it seeps into my smile lines, apart from that coverage, wear and colour is spot on. Love it

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I have the colour NC10 and it pale but not yellow enough for me. The foundation gives medium to full coverage and lasts a long time. It lasts a long time but it does get oily.

I ended up going to MAC to try on some foundations even though my go to is the Matchmaster. I tried the studio fix and looked at it through one of the small handheld mirrors and thought it looked okay so I ended up purchasing it. When I ended up putting it on at home and looked at it in my big mirror at home it looked awful and there was absolutely no coverage at all. When I went to go return it I was telling the woman why I didn't like it and I was wearing it at the time and she said she didn't even know I was wearing foundation so I guess that's saying something. I will definitely be going back to my Matchmaster.

I’m 46 and have very red, sensitive, acne-prone skin with an extremely oily t-zone and large pores – yet dry patches around chin and mouth. I have raised acne scars and many red scar spots. I’ve used MAC Studio Fix Fluid NC35 for many years. It’s a bit too yellow for me, but I chose it intentionally to balance out the red. I decided to sample different foundations to see what I might be missing….

I’m still not convinced MAC is the holy grail, but after testing four others, I came back to MAC, like running back to a lover after realizing you made a big mistake.

NOTE: Due to super oily skin, I mixed all foundations with Laura Mercier Secret Finish Mattifying Gel. I prefer to mix rather than apply in separate layers. It makes the foundation lighter and easier to work with. This sacrifices some coverage, but I’d rather have a more natural look.

I wore each of these four, mixed with clear mattifying gel and applied with a foundation brush, for an entire day over one week. I didn’t take off points for mismatching color, as that can be fixed.

Estee Lauder Double Wear – Desert Beige: PROS: Very full coverage and the longest lasting oil control. Stays put – won’t come off on your gym towel when you sweat. A little goes a long way. Extensive color selection. CONS: Even mixed with gel, it was nearly too much. Direct application would certainly look fake. It pooled into patches near the end of the day. It’s fairly dry and settles into large pores, magnifying them. If you like a super-heavy made-up look that won’t budge, this is for you.

Hourglass Immaculate Liquid Powder Foundation – Shell: PROS: The coverage was medium and looked natural. It kept oil at bay as well as MAC or a bit better. It didn’t separate or pool into patches. Overall, I thought it was fairly decent. CONS: Shell was a bit too pinkish for me. Not sure I could create a match even if I mixed two colors due to the very limited color selection. I liked this better than ELDW, but it wasn't special.

NARS All Day Luminous Weightless Foundation – Santa Fe. PROS: Good coverage that tones down redness well. CONS: It sucks. Thin, watery consistency makes it VERY difficult to apply, even when mixed with gel and using a foundation brush. It dries quickly and sticks to dry patches. It pooled into more patchy areas after long wear. Oil control was average. I don’t have the time or desire to buy a stipling brush and painstakingly spend 40 minutes managing this mess into a smooth, even coat. PASS!

Estee Lauder Double Wear Light - #3: PROS: Of all, this was my best color match. It provides good coverage but is not as heavy and cakey as Double Wear. Oil control is good, but not as good as DW. CONS: Like DW, it still has a tendency to settle in, and magnify, large pores or other problem areas. And although it’s more natural looking than DW, I still felt it looked obvious. Very small color selection. But a decent foundation, if you can find a color match. I just got lucky with #3.

MAC Studio Fix Fluid - NC35: Friday, I put on my old standard to compare it to the rest. Maybe I’m clinging to the past, but I have a newfound appreciation for it! PROS: It has a velvety creaminess that makes it easy to apply and spread before it sets. Unlike the others, it really seems to make the surface of my damaged skin appear smoother. It does not settle in, and magnify, large pores, wrinkles or dry patches. It provides good coverage and covers redness well. It doesn’t pool or form patchy areas after long wear. CONS: Medium coverage, which I like, but not ideal if you want full. The pump doesn’t come with it. It doesn’t hold the record for oil control, and it comes off easily if you wipe your face. But I’m willing to pay these costs for the glowing, natural, smoothed-over look that none of the others delivered.

After cheating with four others, I’m back to my current love: MAC.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I have oily, acne-prone skin.

I was initially mis-matched by a MAC store worker with the shade NC15 but soon realised that I was an NW10 due to my pink undertone.

I must say I did not like this foundation at ALL. It literally smells like paint. The application was smooth and easy to work with but it took forever to set. The finish is not quite matte like it says on the packaging, it is more semi-matte.

It looked really good on my skin at first but only after TWO HOURS my oil seeped through and I looked VERY CAKEY, it simply looked horrible.

While there is the option of a pump, you have to purchase it separately, which is completely ridiculous and insane, it should have just come with it to begin with. I am also not a fan of the glass bottle either, nor any glass packaging for that matter unless it is a perfume.

So to sum it all up, it is expensive, has a chemical/paint smell, takes forever to set, not completely matte but semi-matte, cakes on me after two hours and has terrible packaging.

I tried this foundation on several occasions and I ended up throwing it in the bin. I would advise people to stay away from this product if you are oily/acne-prone as well as accident-prone like me.

Very disappointing.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

First of all i would like to say that mac was the first range of products i used when i just got into non-drugstore makeup. Tbh i have tried macs different foundations, specially the matchmaster. I wouldn't say the studio fix fluid is anything special. I didn't hate this product but i won't buy it again. It is better than other drug store foundations, but some drugstore foundations work just as well. I found that this broke me out, as most mac products, and it wore off real quick in the day. Not worth the price in the long run though.

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

This product clogged my pores and broke me out a lot if I used it too many times in a row.