MAC Studio Fix Fluid SPF 15

Filtered by skin type : Acne-prone

3.4

This foundation is really full coverage and has a range of shades to suit your skin. Keeps my face shine-free all day and doesn't move. It might be a bit drying so I wouldn't recommend it to very dry skin types, unless you intensely moisturise your face before application. Only down side is that it seeps into my smile lines, apart from that coverage, wear and colour is spot on. Love it

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I have the colour NC10 and it pale but not yellow enough for me. The foundation gives medium to full coverage and lasts a long time. It lasts a long time but it does get oily.

I ended up going to MAC to try on some foundations even though my go to is the Matchmaster. I tried the studio fix and looked at it through one of the small handheld mirrors and thought it looked okay so I ended up purchasing it. When I ended up putting it on at home and looked at it in my big mirror at home it looked awful and there was absolutely no coverage at all. When I went to go return it I was telling the woman why I didn't like it and I was wearing it at the time and she said she didn't even know I was wearing foundation so I guess that's saying something. I will definitely be going back to my Matchmaster.

I’m 46 and have very red, sensitive, acne-prone skin with an extremely oily t-zone and large pores – yet dry patches around chin and mouth. I have raised acne scars and many red scar spots. I’ve used MAC Studio Fix Fluid NC35 for many years. It’s a bit too yellow for me, but I chose it intentionally to balance out the red. I decided to sample different foundations to see what I might be missing….

I’m still not convinced MAC is the holy grail, but after testing four others, I came back to MAC, like running back to a lover after realizing you made a big mistake.

NOTE: Due to super oily skin, I mixed all foundations with Laura Mercier Secret Finish Mattifying Gel. I prefer to mix rather than apply in separate layers. It makes the foundation lighter and easier to work with. This sacrifices some coverage, but I’d rather have a more natural look.

I wore each of these four, mixed with clear mattifying gel and applied with a foundation brush, for an entire day over one week. I didn’t take off points for mismatching color, as that can be fixed.

Estee Lauder Double Wear – Desert Beige: PROS: Very full coverage and the longest lasting oil control. Stays put – won’t come off on your gym towel when you sweat. A little goes a long way. Extensive color selection. CONS: Even mixed with gel, it was nearly too much. Direct application would certainly look fake. It pooled into patches near the end of the day. It’s fairly dry and settles into large pores, magnifying them. If you like a super-heavy made-up look that won’t budge, this is for you.

Hourglass Immaculate Liquid Powder Foundation – Shell: PROS: The coverage was medium and looked natural. It kept oil at bay as well as MAC or a bit better. It didn’t separate or pool into patches. Overall, I thought it was fairly decent. CONS: Shell was a bit too pinkish for me. Not sure I could create a match even if I mixed two colors due to the very limited color selection. I liked this better than ELDW, but it wasn't special.

NARS All Day Luminous Weightless Foundation – Santa Fe. PROS: Good coverage that tones down redness well. CONS: It sucks. Thin, watery consistency makes it VERY difficult to apply, even when mixed with gel and using a foundation brush. It dries quickly and sticks to dry patches. It pooled into more patchy areas after long wear. Oil control was average. I don’t have the time or desire to buy a stipling brush and painstakingly spend 40 minutes managing this mess into a smooth, even coat. PASS!

Estee Lauder Double Wear Light - #3: PROS: Of all, this was my best color match. It provides good coverage but is not as heavy and cakey as Double Wear. Oil control is good, but not as good as DW. CONS: Like DW, it still has a tendency to settle in, and magnify, large pores or other problem areas. And although it’s more natural looking than DW, I still felt it looked obvious. Very small color selection. But a decent foundation, if you can find a color match. I just got lucky with #3.

MAC Studio Fix Fluid - NC35: Friday, I put on my old standard to compare it to the rest. Maybe I’m clinging to the past, but I have a newfound appreciation for it! PROS: It has a velvety creaminess that makes it easy to apply and spread before it sets. Unlike the others, it really seems to make the surface of my damaged skin appear smoother. It does not settle in, and magnify, large pores, wrinkles or dry patches. It provides good coverage and covers redness well. It doesn’t pool or form patchy areas after long wear. CONS: Medium coverage, which I like, but not ideal if you want full. The pump doesn’t come with it. It doesn’t hold the record for oil control, and it comes off easily if you wipe your face. But I’m willing to pay these costs for the glowing, natural, smoothed-over look that none of the others delivered.

After cheating with four others, I’m back to my current love: MAC.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I have oily, acne-prone skin.

I was initially mis-matched by a MAC store worker with the shade NC15 but soon realised that I was an NW10 due to my pink undertone.

I must say I did not like this foundation at ALL. It literally smells like paint. The application was smooth and easy to work with but it took forever to set. The finish is not quite matte like it says on the packaging, it is more semi-matte.

It looked really good on my skin at first but only after TWO HOURS my oil seeped through and I looked VERY CAKEY, it simply looked horrible.

While there is the option of a pump, you have to purchase it separately, which is completely ridiculous and insane, it should have just come with it to begin with. I am also not a fan of the glass bottle either, nor any glass packaging for that matter unless it is a perfume.

So to sum it all up, it is expensive, has a chemical/paint smell, takes forever to set, not completely matte but semi-matte, cakes on me after two hours and has terrible packaging.

I tried this foundation on several occasions and I ended up throwing it in the bin. I would advise people to stay away from this product if you are oily/acne-prone as well as accident-prone like me.

Very disappointing.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

First of all i would like to say that mac was the first range of products i used when i just got into non-drugstore makeup. Tbh i have tried macs different foundations, specially the matchmaster. I wouldn't say the studio fix fluid is anything special. I didn't hate this product but i won't buy it again. It is better than other drug store foundations, but some drugstore foundations work just as well. I found that this broke me out, as most mac products, and it wore off real quick in the day. Not worth the price in the long run though.

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

This product clogged my pores and broke me out a lot if I used it too many times in a row.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

First, put a fucking pump in it MAC! Don't make me buy one separately. 🙄 Secondly, I love this foundation! I'm in NW15 and it is perfectly matched to me. The smell is iffy, very sunscreen like, but the coverage is great and I always gets a flawless finish.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

My skin type is combination to dry which is extremely acne prone. I tried this foundation given that mac foundation color matches my skin tone very nicely. Unlike most of the foundation mac warm tones are yellow enough. I'm in the shade nc42. First of all packaging, it does not have any pump. Given the price $27 this is unacceptable.This foundation is very blendable. When first applied it looked really nice on my skin. But only after 3-4 hours my was extremely oily. Given that my skin is not oily, this foundation is breaking down in 3 to 4 hours, I cannot imagine how horrible it will be on the oily skin girls. I cannot imagine wearing it day long. I tried with a primer and still the same result. It didn't break out skin in first usage but consecutive two days of usage (3-4 hours each day) gave me two pimples. If you are planning to try it, I'll recommend trying the sample from mac store first before buying the full bottle.

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine

I really like this foundation and would definitely repurchase if my current runs out....which won't be for a while since I have a few other foundations I am currently using.

I think this is reasonably priced, at (I think) £22.00 in the UK and for the amount you get too, is worth the price. I also think there's a variety of colour options which is always quite good as you can either go a shade lighter or darker depending on season. This has been my go to foundation for the longest time and contrary to most reviews, have not broken out at all due to using this. I apply this foundation using Real Techniques buffing brush or the Elf studio powder brush and it glides on like a dream. I get full coverage from just one coat of this but that's probably also due to using a corrector and concealer underneath which cover most of my acne scars. My foundation tends to last all day and doesn't oxidise......but could also be as a result of setting sprays! I'm an NW45 in this for reference and my skin is combination that is prone to acne!

Overall, I would repurchase!