MAC Studio Fix Fluid SPF 15

Filtered by skin type : Normal

3.8

This foundation is unusual and I am not quite sure where to start with it. Originally MAC was recommended to me by a friend who is a makeup artist due to their undertones and broader shade range for persons who have warmer/ darker skin tones. At the time I was going to buy EL Double Wear but thought I'd give MAC a go as their shade range, and the claims of their foundations performance was good.
I was matched with NC40 and it is a pretty good match for my skin tone (better than EL DW Honey Bronze, which is yellower), that I was impressed with as its very difficult for me to find foundations to match my skin (I have neutral/warm and yellow/golden undertone). I have good skin with no wrinkles, minimal lines and no pores however I do have some scarring acne. I have normal/sensitive skin that is prone to dryness at times so I definitely did not want anything full matte. Despite being advertised as a 'Matte' foundation, I don't think this is unless you put powder on top of it. It is a more semi matte/ satin finish (which I prefer).
The biggest disappointment for me with this foundation is coverage. Its advertised as medium- full coverage, but is really medium coverage, if you use a fair bit of it I would say full medium at best. Personally I prefer full coverage because I don't see the point in wearing makeup unless it covers everything. I do apply this foundation with a brush so perhaps applying with a sponge (which I am planning on trying) will be different. I've only used primer with this foundation once but have not noticed a big difference whether you use one or not (I should note I am planning on buying a silicone primer and trying it so I'll post an update) It doesn't do a bad job of covering my scars, it covers my lighter ones quite well, but the darker scars not so much- it definitely doesn't conceal them. At $50AUD a bottle, I kind of feel it should.
The second disappointment for me with this foundation is its lasting power. I find that for the first few hours of wear, it looks amazing and photographs beautifully. However around the 4hr mark, its like it starts to soak into the skin a bit more and slowly begins to wear off. It also is not transfer proof, as you may have guessed (not terribly transferable like most Revlon foundations but is transferable nonetheless). Usually after the sixth hour of having this on, half of it has worn off and I have to re-apply. I haven't used a setting spray with this but I kind of think you shouldn't have to. Its 2017, if you want to charge high end prices for foundation, make sure you can make a product that actually does the things you claim. Makeup has come a long way and I am beginning to feel a lot of the higher end foundation brands are not delivering the foundation quality they are capable of producing and are sort of just half-assing it. Again, for the price and MAC's reputation, I expect better.
I find this foundation does oxidise a little, but doesn't make a difference on my skin.
I am on the fence about whether to re-purchase this or just keep hunting for a better one which can deliver on what it claims. I feel like if MAC made a few improvements to this foundation it would be my HG for sure. I have made a list of pros and cons below so its easier for others to make a decision on this foundation as well.

Pros:
-Formula is nice and creamy (I am used to using crème foundations and this is lighter than what I am used to, but I love the consistency)
-Great color range for warmer/darker skinned people
-Photographs beautifully
-Does not look cakey (on me, anyway)
-Easy to blend in
-Minimal Oxidization
-Semi-Matte Finish

Cons:
-Full Medium coverage at best. I feel as if you put a lot of this on to try to get full coverage, then it may look cakey
-Not long lasting. Starts wearing off around the 4hr mark, you will need to touch up around 5-6hr mark.
-Transfers. Not terribly but still, it transfers.
-Expensive

On a final note I want to say if people were in the same boat as me and tossing up between EL Double Wear and this one, I would say certainly get samples and try both out. MAC foundations are more golden in the warmer tones whereas EL foundations are more yellow. I found Honey Bronze (my shade in EL) is fine when only a thin layer is applied but once I put more product on, its too yellow on me and does look cakey/dry/chalky(possibly because I have normal skin, not oily skin). EL DW is also proper matte, whereas this foundation is semi matte.

I'm on the fence about this foundation..it has a painty smell to it when applying but it doesn't linger and it's rather thick. What I like about it is, it doesn't oxidize, not cakey (at least on me) and it lasts all day so I don't have to worry about it fading or coming off. I bought the NC 10 and I'm afraid it's too light, maybe if I repurchase I will try a slightly darker shade and be more satisfied.

I love this foundation. It's a perfect match on my skin. No breakouts, no oxidizing. I deliver out of a hot truck all day, and my skin feels soft and silky at the end of the day. I know this one is a hit or miss for people, definitely a hit for me. I'll be 57 next month, and have fairly normal (albeit slightly wrinkly) skin.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Love this product, when I use it at night and I know I'll be out for hours I use the product as it is. During day time wear I moisturize my face with rose gold elixir and it lightens my complexion and skin texture. It is heavy makeup so deep removal once it's not needed is a must. If you don't clean it properly you might get irritation, but that's almost all makeup products. I go workout and sweat and I still have my face perfectly covered.

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium

I have repurchased this product several times. It was my go-to foundation until I found more affordable drug store brands which perform just as good if not better. I still like it a lot but for now I have found other ones that I like more. It definitely applies well and NC45 matches me perfectly however I don't like the fact that it has no pump and I also don't really like that it has SPF seeing as though I wear it not just at day but also at night. I still recommend it for purchase if one is looking for a MAC foundation.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

I love this foundation. I wear the shade NC15 and it's a great match for my skin. I got colour matched by one of the artists at the counter, and I would definitely recommend getting matched the first time you buy this product. Studio Fix has a full coverage that doesn't look cakey at all. One layer provides excellent coverage in my opinion. I like to apply with my fingers, using approximately one and a half pumps and it covers my whole face perfectly. It has a matte finish and makes my skin look flawless. This foundation is transfer-proof and lasts all day. It does not fade or separate throughout the day and it does not make my skin oily. My skin is normal-dry and it doesn't dry out or irritate my skin at all. However, this foundation is not hydrating, nor does it claim to be. This foundation would most suitable for normal-oily skin, those with extremely dry skin may wish to try a more hydrating formula. I really like this foundation, it gives a flawless effect to the skin. It really is a classic. If you need a MAC foundation and have never used the brand before, this one is a great one to start off with. A+

Great Buildable coverage, I love the texture but sadly it does not go well with my skin it breaks me out horribly. :(

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

So Mac was my first "high end" foundation, back when I was 20 or so, and I was very underwhelmed. I was under the impression that "nc" meant "natural cool" and so I was quite displeased with the dark orange that "nc15" gave me. For years I went around telling people how much I hated Mac, and how badly it oxidizes and how their colors aren't light enough. Finally, my coworker (who also works as a MU at Mac) told me that "nc" basically means "not cool," and "nw" means "not warm." Way to be confusing, Mac! So upon her advice, I ordered "nw10" from the website and oh... My gosh. The perfect, starkly pale pink-toned full coverage foundation I always wanted (and needed, to match my neck) does exist! This did not turn orange, and I have NO PORES with this stuff. I've been using lorac's Np1 for years, and I loved everything about it except for the sheer-medium coverage. I like my skin to look really even and smooth (don't we all) and because I have facial redness, nothing ever quite covered and matched at the same time. Plus, at the end of the day, my LORAC foundation gave me major shine around the nose, and cracking around the mouth, but with Mac, my foundation looks as flawless now, as it did when I put it on 12 hours ago. I'm so happy, now. I believe in Mac again!

Hair: Blond, Other, Coarse

Felt very heavy on my face all day..made my face look oily..did not like it

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

This is definitely among my favourite foundations. I'm in the shade NC 35 in the summer and NC 30 in the winter.

Pros:
- Great colour range
- Long lasting
- Medium build-able coverage
- Suits mature skin (my mother loves it)

Cons:
- A bit pricey
- Tends to oxidise (nothing that can't be fixed with some powder)
- No pump (a separate one could be bought)

I moisturise, put on primer and wait for it to set. Then, I apply this foundation with a foundation brush and tap it into my skin. I apply my Pro Long-wear concealer and set everything with MAC's sheer pressed powder. Then, I apply MAC's hydrating mist on top which takes about a minute to dry. It gives me the most gorgeous, luminous look ever. On my third bottle currently.