MAC Studio Fix Fluid SPF 15

Filtered by skin tone : Fair

3.4

In a few words, this foundation does not stay put, does not always dry matte, gets greasy, gets cakey, fades, and also it broke me out.
So this was my first ever high-end foundation, and when I first got it about a couple years ago, I was excited. I would actually use it pretty often (I did not reach for it everyday, I didnt want to waste my expensive product for school), and I used to love it. At this point I have to mention that I have oily skin, especially on my nose and the area around it, some random dry patches, a lot of acne scars and also occasional breakouts, as well as a couple permanent pimples and large pores on my nose. My skin is, in general, pretty bad, so I loved this foundation for the coverage it offered. However, after my break from foundations for the sake of (lightweight, effortless and quick makeup), I actually feel like I must have been blind to like this foundation. First of all, it says it has a matte finish, but it never actually dries down on my skin, unless I set it with powder. Second, it says it stays matte and controls oil, but just a few hours after putting it on it gets greasy, cakey and it fades away, resulting in my acne scars becoming visible. Also it creases under my eyes. Last but certainly not least, the worst of all the cons: it broke me out. I finally managed to make my skin look good and vanish my pimples literally today, no joke, I woke up and my skin looked pretty good. No pimples, no dry patches... And then I had a special event this afternoon and I decided to treat myself and wear my expensive foundation. I WISH I had gone with my 3€ essence concealer! When I got home and removed my disaster of a foundation, I could see a bunch o white bumps and some red pimples that didnt exist before. This is not the first time something similar happens, so I figured it is because of the foundation.

This is my second bottle after I ran out of the last one a year ago. I bought but never finished about 5 foundations in the meantime and I just had to get back to this one. Great foundation, it does what is says and has an impressive colour range. NC15 matches my skin colour beautifully. I do have to moisturise my skin very well and I need a primer to keep the foundation in place, but after setting it with a powder, this foundation isn't going anywhere. A tip received from a beauty blogger is to use a tiny bit of translucent powder on top of the primer, underneath the foundations. It works wonders and keeps my skin matte for a good 12 hours. I use a wet beauty blender so the foundation is a little less thick on my skin and it blends wonderfully.

Though I read some of you saying that it causes break outs, it's not what I experienced. I have a very oily T zone with huge pores that tend to clog, but I haven't encountered a pimple other than on the usual spots. Because of the foundation's thickness, it does need proper cleaning after using it (which is why I use cleaning wipes, miccelar water AND washing it afterwards).

1 lippy less because you have to buy the pump separately. That's about the only ridiculous thing about this MAC foundation.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Amazing Foundation for oily skin!! But i would not buy it again beacuase of the animal testing.

This foundation is really full coverage and has a range of shades to suit your skin. Keeps my face shine-free all day and doesn't move. It might be a bit drying so I wouldn't recommend it to very dry skin types, unless you intensely moisturise your face before application. Only down side is that it seeps into my smile lines, apart from that coverage, wear and colour is spot on. Love it

For the longest time Mac didn't have a foundation light enough for my skin. I stopped at a Mac Counter about a month ago for some lipstick, and saw a foundation on their shelf that looked really similar to the foundation I normally wear. I asked to try it on, and it matched perfectly! It was NC10. Normally I don't like matte foundations, but I do tend to get a bit oily during the summer so I decided to give this foundation a go. It was on sale too!

Now I am someone who has pretty clear skin, except for redness and the occasional closed comedone. I never get active breakouts, and I have yet to find a product that causes me to break out. Holy crap, this foundation. I look like I'm going through puberty again. I have tons of pimples all over my face, which I now have to figure out quickly how to get rid of them because my wedding is in a month.

I also hate the smell of this foundation, it smells like chemicals! It's also really cakey and caused my skin to look dull and aged.

I will never purchase this foundation again!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I like to keep this in my stash but it wouldn't be my 'go-to' choice.

The product itself comes in quite elegant packaging, nice glass bottle but with a pump sold separate. In fact, I had bought this online only to realise I needed the pump so I had to go to the MAC store anyway and fork out €5 for a piece of plastic. Ridiculous really considering I paid €32 for this. One could argue that you don't 'need' the pump, but trust me.. it gets messy without it.

On the plus side, the coverage is good: it gives medium, buildable coverage, which I find perfectly suitable for most days, and it’s also fairly matte, so it helps combat my oily areas. As a very pale person, I picked up NW10 which was a decent enough colour match, if not a little bit too pink toned.

As for the negatives, there is a couple that comes to mind. First and foremost is that Studio Fix is not very forgiving when it comes to dry patches on my skin which isn't ideal because I have combination skin prone to dehydration. And secondly, the formula is not as blendable as it markets itself to be. There's also a slightly chemical smell, but that doesn't bother me too much.

Final thoughts wise, although I do like it, it’s not quite ‘Holy Grail’ material for me. Once I’ve used it up, I’ll probably try something else. I wouldn’t rule out going back to it in future, though, if only because it’s one of the few foundations out there that actually is pale enough for my skin.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

If you like a full coverage flawless foundation you will LOVE Mac Studio Fix Fluid.
I have an oily T-zone, mild breakouts and this foundation lasts all day for me. I do notice it lasts longer when paired with my Mac Primer. This is basically a high end (better) version of Revlon Colorstay. So if you like that, you will love this. I wish the pump came with this foundation, but it's such a minor setback to how much I love this product. I will repurchase over and over =)

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I have the colour NC10 and it pale but not yellow enough for me. The foundation gives medium to full coverage and lasts a long time. It lasts a long time but it does get oily.

I really love the consistency of this foundation and the way it feels on my skin. It has great coverage and builds up well. I really like it as it is one of the few foundations that won't break me out. However, I find it extremely hard to match a MAC foundation to my skin. They are all either too yellow or too pink for my skin and I find it very frustrating.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

For reference: I am N15 with mostly dry but slightly combination skin - oily around immediate nose and slightly on forehead/chin. I am 33 years old with acne-prone skin around the chin/jawline which I treat with a prescription anti-acne product. Despite my acne-prone area, my foundations of preference tend to be dewy/glowy since the moisture helps to prevent fine lines/aging, and I can always target specific oil-prone areas with powder if need be. This foundation is cited as being non-acnegenic on MAC's website and did not cause extra acne for me while I used it.

To compare, my foundation go-to has been the dewy finish of L'oreal True Match Lumi in W1-2. I had thought I wanted something with more opaque coverage so I decided to try MAC Studio Fix Fluid Foundation. I deducted lippies for packaging because a pump should be included with the bottle for hygiene's sake rather than forcing clients to pay extra.

My application method is a layer of SPF moisturizer, followed by blending with the Real Techniques beauty sponge. I finished with MAC Pro Longer concealer and Laura Mercier translucent finishing powder. I touch up throughout the day with powder on nose approximately 3-4 times.

The foundation is advertised on the website as being oil-controlling and leaving a mattified effect. I think this foundation delivers what it promises on the website. The finish was *fairly* nice, it wasn't particularly awe-inspiring ("she has perfect skin!") but it wasn't as chalky as L'Oreal's classic True Match foundation ("she's definitely wearing foundation").

Ironically, even with my slightly oily T-zone, this foundation is too drying for me. I noticed that it was making the fine lines on my forehead become more pronounced because of its drying effect, and because it settled into those lines.

I have tried adding oil to this foundation to dilute/increase moisture. I have also tried not powdering my forehead. I have never had to do that before. Using both tactics, this foundation was still too drying for me.

I would recommend this product for someone whose face produces a lot more oil than mine, and who is looking for better quality than drugstore but not as expensive as comparable mattifying higher-end foundations from Marc Jacobs, Laura Mercier, Hourglass etc. Although the finish you get with those products would probably be more "skin" like.