MAC Studio Fix Fluid SPF 15

Filtered by skin tone : Other

3.4

This foundation is unusual and I am not quite sure where to start with it. Originally MAC was recommended to me by a friend who is a makeup artist due to their undertones and broader shade range for persons who have warmer/ darker skin tones. At the time I was going to buy EL Double Wear but thought I'd give MAC a go as their shade range, and the claims of their foundations performance was good.
I was matched with NC40 and it is a pretty good match for my skin tone (better than EL DW Honey Bronze, which is yellower), that I was impressed with as its very difficult for me to find foundations to match my skin (I have neutral/warm and yellow/golden undertone). I have good skin with no wrinkles, minimal lines and no pores however I do have some scarring acne. I have normal/sensitive skin that is prone to dryness at times so I definitely did not want anything full matte. Despite being advertised as a 'Matte' foundation, I don't think this is unless you put powder on top of it. It is a more semi matte/ satin finish (which I prefer).
The biggest disappointment for me with this foundation is coverage. Its advertised as medium- full coverage, but is really medium coverage, if you use a fair bit of it I would say full medium at best. Personally I prefer full coverage because I don't see the point in wearing makeup unless it covers everything. I do apply this foundation with a brush so perhaps applying with a sponge (which I am planning on trying) will be different. I've only used primer with this foundation once but have not noticed a big difference whether you use one or not (I should note I am planning on buying a silicone primer and trying it so I'll post an update) It doesn't do a bad job of covering my scars, it covers my lighter ones quite well, but the darker scars not so much- it definitely doesn't conceal them. At $50AUD a bottle, I kind of feel it should.
The second disappointment for me with this foundation is its lasting power. I find that for the first few hours of wear, it looks amazing and photographs beautifully. However around the 4hr mark, its like it starts to soak into the skin a bit more and slowly begins to wear off. It also is not transfer proof, as you may have guessed (not terribly transferable like most Revlon foundations but is transferable nonetheless). Usually after the sixth hour of having this on, half of it has worn off and I have to re-apply. I haven't used a setting spray with this but I kind of think you shouldn't have to. Its 2017, if you want to charge high end prices for foundation, make sure you can make a product that actually does the things you claim. Makeup has come a long way and I am beginning to feel a lot of the higher end foundation brands are not delivering the foundation quality they are capable of producing and are sort of just half-assing it. Again, for the price and MAC's reputation, I expect better.
I find this foundation does oxidise a little, but doesn't make a difference on my skin.
I am on the fence about whether to re-purchase this or just keep hunting for a better one which can deliver on what it claims. I feel like if MAC made a few improvements to this foundation it would be my HG for sure. I have made a list of pros and cons below so its easier for others to make a decision on this foundation as well.

Pros:
-Formula is nice and creamy (I am used to using crème foundations and this is lighter than what I am used to, but I love the consistency)
-Great color range for warmer/darker skinned people
-Photographs beautifully
-Does not look cakey (on me, anyway)
-Easy to blend in
-Minimal Oxidization
-Semi-Matte Finish

Cons:
-Full Medium coverage at best. I feel as if you put a lot of this on to try to get full coverage, then it may look cakey
-Not long lasting. Starts wearing off around the 4hr mark, you will need to touch up around 5-6hr mark.
-Transfers. Not terribly but still, it transfers.
-Expensive

On a final note I want to say if people were in the same boat as me and tossing up between EL Double Wear and this one, I would say certainly get samples and try both out. MAC foundations are more golden in the warmer tones whereas EL foundations are more yellow. I found Honey Bronze (my shade in EL) is fine when only a thin layer is applied but once I put more product on, its too yellow on me and does look cakey/dry/chalky(possibly because I have normal skin, not oily skin). EL DW is also proper matte, whereas this foundation is semi matte.

Skin: Sensitive, Other, Not Sure

Possibly one of the worst foundations I've ever used. Coverage was way too light and did a terrible job at evening out skin tone, the smell was HORRID (smelt like bad chemicals) with the scent lingering all day. and the bottle design was not functional at all. It was such a struggle to get foundation out - either a lot would come out all at once, or none would come out at all. Definitely not worth the high price tag. Never again!

Love the feel of this foundation, not too thick and it doesn't run down your face. I also like how it gives you a tint of bronze color allowing me to use less bronzer powdeer.

Sooo i usuallly use the Mac face & body foundation, it's very natural looking. I do LOVE it but I wanted something with more coverage. So I bought the studio fix fluid in NC45. This foundation is a medium coverage with a matte finish. I personally love a dewy look so I just spray it with mineralize spray. It stays on for eveeer and it's definately worth the money. It has a weird smell to it but you won't smell it when applied. I wouldn't really use it as a daytime foundation. If you have oily or combination skin it's perfect!

For a while ive always thought that MAC foundation is very heavy and cakey until I tried it. For reference I am NC 20 (perfect match for me), Asian, and have combination/oily skin. I used this everyday to work since august 2014 and it holds well for about 8 - 9 hours with a primer (hourglass mineral veil primer). Surprisingly, I don't have to blot during midday as I usually do which is super good but that may be due to primer + moisturisers I use. Also, this foundation depends what type of brush you use. I find it works best with my tom ford cream foundation brush as it blends the foundation nicely and don't get that cakey heavy look. this may be my HG foundation! will def repurchase :)

Eh. This foundation is just so average to me. It covers okay, but I feel greasier than I do with others. & I feel like my pores are somewhat obvious. I'm just not impressed. In fact, I would rather wear almost every other foundation that I currently own. & it isn't dirt cheap either. In fact, writing this review has helped me come to my senses, & I think I shall return it...

This is the best foundation for a night out where you want to look flawless in photos. I used to use MUFE hd instead because it doesnt contain SPF, and i was skeptical of the fix fluid since it does contain SPF. I am an nc35 and in flash photography I didnt get a white cast over my face! It creates a medium- more towards full coverage that perfects your complexion. I would recommend purchasing a pump.

Great product just wish there was a little more per in the bottle!

Be-careful with the bottles push down top, for some reason the push down gets stuck and can release the foundation, could have just been a lemon.

When asked if I would buy this product again, I wish I could select maybe. I am seriously considering giving this product a second chance, as I think most of the problems I had with it the first time I tried it were due to an incorrect color-match, & my previous skin care routine. The shade I was matched with looked perfect in the Mac store, but when I tried it at home, it was awful. I'm no amateur when it comes to foundations either. It oxidized horribly & looked like an orange mask on my skin. It was so dark & orange. I also was having severe breakouts shortly after I began using it, but as I said above that could have been from my old skincare routine. What I did like was how thick & buildable this foundation was. If it were in the right shade & didn't oxidize horribly, it would do an excellent job of covering up my skin flaws. I think I'm going to give this another chance, but I'm going to color match myself this time.

I have used this foundation so many times and always go back to it! Application is key apply to much and it will look terrible! I find it best if you apply a small dot to each cheek and on your forehead and gently blend with fingers! Let it dry and add more to areas that need more! I use Mac matte primer under neath and think u absolutely need to prime before this foundation! I have very oily skin and sometimes this will oxidize by the end if the day! But if you apply right prime and powder it will look flawless!