MAC Studio Fix Fluid SPF 15

3.5

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium

I have repurchased this product several times. It was my go-to foundation until I found more affordable drug store brands which perform just as good if not better. I still like it a lot but for now I have found other ones that I like more. It definitely applies well and NC45 matches me perfectly however I don't like the fact that it has no pump and I also don't really like that it has SPF seeing as though I wear it not just at day but also at night. I still recommend it for purchase if one is looking for a MAC foundation.

I ended up going to MAC to try on some foundations even though my go to is the Matchmaster. I tried the studio fix and looked at it through one of the small handheld mirrors and thought it looked okay so I ended up purchasing it. When I ended up putting it on at home and looked at it in my big mirror at home it looked awful and there was absolutely no coverage at all. When I went to go return it I was telling the woman why I didn't like it and I was wearing it at the time and she said she didn't even know I was wearing foundation so I guess that's saying something. I will definitely be going back to my Matchmaster.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I bought this foundation in the shade NC42. I have a south Asian skin tone and combination skin. I have uneven skin tone and acne scars as well as dark circles. I like to have a foundation that I can put on in 5 min before work without having to spend too much time on it. I'm udually in a rush with the school run etc.

I'm happy to say I found this really easy to wear and the colour matched my skin perfectly. The warm under tones made me glow. I always have trouble finding the correct shade but MAC never let's me down. I have also had MAC studio Sculpt and MAC Matchmaster in No5. I felt studio sculpt made me shiny and match master would only work well when I had a perfect base and took time.

This foundation was not drying and blended really well. It's buildable coverage. It gives a pretty smooth finish. The only thing I didn't really like is that it didn't have a pump, so I felt that more product was released than what was needed so it was wasted. I did buy a separate pump so it wasn't too bad after that.

Overall a a good buy!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

I love that i finally found my perfect colour match in this foundation. Always hated looking yellowy or face too dark for my body in pictures and this foundation has helped me with that. It would be better if you didn't have to buy the pump with it, (not that i was unhappy to buy the pump in itself) and then know you can't put the lid on over the pump. Because of travel i was scared to leave the pump head on even when it was turned to the off side in a travel bag but it is not nearly as convenient without the pump when applying makeup. Maybe a smaller or more accessible pump could be made to suit the lid or vice versa. Regardless of this, amazing colour range, dermatologist approved and non comedogenic. I can quite comfortably wear it on accutane treatment (for my oily skin) as long as i apply a moisturiser and primer first.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

I'm a fan of this foundation. I have this in the shade NC45, and I never have purchased the pump that is sold separately for this because I honestly can't be bothered. I apply this with a beauty blender, and it provides me with medium coverage. I tend to mix it with L'Oreal's True Match (Creme Cafe) foundation so I can get a better colour match. After application, my skin looks immaculate. I may have to go in afterwards with concealer to cover my acne scarring, but it's very little. My only issue with this is, if I don't use a good primer with this, my T-Zone gets hella shiny after a few hours. However, I've been using this since I was 17, and it has always been one of my top choices.

I’m 46 and have very red, sensitive, acne-prone skin with an extremely oily t-zone and large pores – yet dry patches around chin and mouth. I have raised acne scars and many red scar spots. I’ve used MAC Studio Fix Fluid NC35 for many years. It’s a bit too yellow for me, but I chose it intentionally to balance out the red. I decided to sample different foundations to see what I might be missing….

I’m still not convinced MAC is the holy grail, but after testing four others, I came back to MAC, like running back to a lover after realizing you made a big mistake.

NOTE: Due to super oily skin, I mixed all foundations with Laura Mercier Secret Finish Mattifying Gel. I prefer to mix rather than apply in separate layers. It makes the foundation lighter and easier to work with. This sacrifices some coverage, but I’d rather have a more natural look.

I wore each of these four, mixed with clear mattifying gel and applied with a foundation brush, for an entire day over one week. I didn’t take off points for mismatching color, as that can be fixed.

Estee Lauder Double Wear – Desert Beige: PROS: Very full coverage and the longest lasting oil control. Stays put – won’t come off on your gym towel when you sweat. A little goes a long way. Extensive color selection. CONS: Even mixed with gel, it was nearly too much. Direct application would certainly look fake. It pooled into patches near the end of the day. It’s fairly dry and settles into large pores, magnifying them. If you like a super-heavy made-up look that won’t budge, this is for you.

Hourglass Immaculate Liquid Powder Foundation – Shell: PROS: The coverage was medium and looked natural. It kept oil at bay as well as MAC or a bit better. It didn’t separate or pool into patches. Overall, I thought it was fairly decent. CONS: Shell was a bit too pinkish for me. Not sure I could create a match even if I mixed two colors due to the very limited color selection. I liked this better than ELDW, but it wasn't special.

NARS All Day Luminous Weightless Foundation – Santa Fe. PROS: Good coverage that tones down redness well. CONS: It sucks. Thin, watery consistency makes it VERY difficult to apply, even when mixed with gel and using a foundation brush. It dries quickly and sticks to dry patches. It pooled into more patchy areas after long wear. Oil control was average. I don’t have the time or desire to buy a stipling brush and painstakingly spend 40 minutes managing this mess into a smooth, even coat. PASS!

Estee Lauder Double Wear Light - #3: PROS: Of all, this was my best color match. It provides good coverage but is not as heavy and cakey as Double Wear. Oil control is good, but not as good as DW. CONS: Like DW, it still has a tendency to settle in, and magnify, large pores or other problem areas. And although it’s more natural looking than DW, I still felt it looked obvious. Very small color selection. But a decent foundation, if you can find a color match. I just got lucky with #3.

MAC Studio Fix Fluid - NC35: Friday, I put on my old standard to compare it to the rest. Maybe I’m clinging to the past, but I have a newfound appreciation for it! PROS: It has a velvety creaminess that makes it easy to apply and spread before it sets. Unlike the others, it really seems to make the surface of my damaged skin appear smoother. It does not settle in, and magnify, large pores, wrinkles or dry patches. It provides good coverage and covers redness well. It doesn’t pool or form patchy areas after long wear. CONS: Medium coverage, which I like, but not ideal if you want full. The pump doesn’t come with it. It doesn’t hold the record for oil control, and it comes off easily if you wipe your face. But I’m willing to pay these costs for the glowing, natural, smoothed-over look that none of the others delivered.

After cheating with four others, I’m back to my current love: MAC.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

For the price, this is not something I will purchase again. I have combo skin and my T zone is super super oily at the end of the day with this foundation, in a way that hasn't been much of an issue with other products. I also don't find it lasts very long. If this was a drug store brand that cost $10 then maybe I would but its $30 in canada.

I find other drug store products to work just as well if not better than this therefore, I don't want to spend $30 on something if I can get better quality for much cheaper.

I feel like people either love or hate this foundation. Personally, I am really enjoying it. It's very smoothing and it glides onto my skin really nicely (for reference I pair it with a la base Lancome primer). It's also a high coverage foundation, which I appreciate because it means I don't have to add much concealer afterwards! It also stays put all day (however I do use a UD setting spray so maybe that plays a part in it). As for the whole oxidizing problem a lot of people talk about, I haven't found that personally.
I also like this foundation because it does give a glow but it's not too greasy and tacky like some glowy foundations, which is good because my skin does get oily throughout the day.
All in all, I really like it and would recommend for all skin types really!
The worst part about this product has to be the packaging, an absolute nightmare to get it out with no pump due to the thick consistency, other that, all good!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Oh my lord this foundation. No. just no. Luckily I just got a sample of NC 25 my tried and true color and put it on before going to see the Warriors play in Oakland. Anyways I put it on and it was completely ORANGE. It looked awful. Maybe it had oxidized while on display. I dunno but the finish looked heavy and it was orange. Ugh so ugly. I'll stick to my water weight or Mac mineralize when using a Mac foundation.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

This has been my go to foundation for 10+ years.. I have tried out/on several other brands but I always end up going back to Mac studiofix.

Perfect shade selection for my medium Tan complexion with yellow undertones (NC42-44), love the texture and it's matte velvety finish on my oily/combination skin, provides good coverage while still looking natural. Doesnt break me out.

Apply a primer and/or strobe cream underneath, apply the foundation with a brush, and top it off with my favorite powder MAC studiofix powder in NC 44,5 and my skin looks flawless.

If you have a similar skintone to mine and are still looking for the perfect shade of BB Cream do check out the Clarins Bb skin perfecting cream spf 25 in shade 03 dark. Finally found my match.