MAC Studio Fix Fluid SPF 15

Filtered by age: 36-43

3.6

I have a word for this foundation. The reason why many women are not able to find their perfect match for their skin tones/colours, despite that MAC is producing millions of colours and offering 'better' selection than most other cosmetic brands, is quite simple: they are creating colours based upon dogma and preconception of women's skin, not on down-to-earth research on real women.
For example, many Occidental or Caucasian women find the NC range too yellow, and NW too deep red. And in fact this is also the case for Oriental women. According to certain research conducted upon the skin undertones and colours of Japanese women, the result show that many fair-skinned women do NOT have yellow tones, NOR red, but neutral or beige tones.
So I guess I am not the only one who feel when I put the NC15 on I look like one of the characters of Simpsons - despite that the colour itself is a reasonable match, it turns the skin yellow, especially in pictures and if this is a deliberate result expected by the leading catwalk makeup artist cosmetic brand then I have to say that its not my cup of tea.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Okay, Ive been wearing it for 4 months now and I have to admit, I had to work out how to get the perfect application. I made the mistake of a first-timer and applied it the way I would have my other foundations which are sheerer. Does not work!
Since I really dont see the necessity in spending a fortune for MACs brushes I figured out how to look flawless and natural by using my fingers.
First off: exfoliate your skin regularily. This foundation might show any dry spots easily.
Before applying put on a really good moisturizer and let it sink into your skin for 10 minutes. THEN use the Prep/Prime from MAC! It does make a difference: youll need a lot less of the fluid because it just glides on effortlessly and doesnt get into your pores at all(one of my problems). Let the P&P dry for about five minutes>>>important! I know this seems like a lot of preparation when youre in a hurry in the morning, but what I do is just brush my teeth/fix my hair/get dressed in the meantime...
THEN use your middle/ indexfinger and really take as little an amount as possible, almost to where you cant see the fluid on your finger. Tap this into your skin and repeat until you have the coverage you want. This stuff is highly pigmented, so you definitely do not need as much as you would normally. You only need extremely little!
I experimented with this stuff and finally found a way to get that "no-make-up-look" and still get sufficient coverage for my redness and blotchiness. And voila! It works. You cant see the coverage at all and I still have flawless - but natural looking skin!
If you apply this the way you would a regular foundation, be aware that you will look VERY made up.
Nonetheless, I love it. Its expensive, yeah...but you need so little, that in the end youre actually paying a lot less.
Be sure to get a very translucent/colorless and fine loose powder to set it. The powder makes a huge difference, too. Even if you carefully
apply your foundation, the wrong powder will destroy that natural looking skin.
The only thing I dont really like about it is the bottle...there really should be a pump! I dont like sticking my finger into the bottle-breedingground for bacteria...no matter how clean you are.

4 months later: Im not breaking out at all, I just notice that now in the hot weather I get oily quite quickly.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I love this foundation! I've tried several MAC foundations in the past, but most of them still got shiny in my t-zone even with a primer but this takes the cake for my normal/combo skin. It looks natural matte, not flat, and stays that way better than most any other foundation I've tried. I top it off with a dusting of Blot Loose (or Pro Set ~ they're almost identical) and I'm good to go with less touchups or blotting than before.
Colour matching can be a little bit of a hassle, but worth the time to get a good match. I've been matched as a C3 with Studio Fix powder and in Hyper Real the NC300 works well (though I do find it just a bit too 'shiny') but in Studio Fix Fluid I ended up with NC37. NC30 actually looked darker and a bit more 'olive' and NC35 has a nearly imperceptible stronger yellow tone than the NC37 (which has what looks to me a hair more peachy than yellow tone than NC35, but *very* subtle!!) Even the MA agreed the NC30 looked darker than NC37. The store has great window lighting btw... It seems to be a great match and in natural lighting looks the right shade. I might even try the NC30 in the summer (or try a sample).
I'm really pleased also at how natural this looks, particularly after a light buffing. I've read the the #116 works well to apply and it does! I've also buffed with a kabuki after applying and it's awesome but even without a brush, the finish is beautiful.
Wow, I've been knocked out of my rut! I didn't expect to love this so much but I do! Thanks MAC!!

This foundation is absolutely fantastic, but it takes a little work to get it right. You must practice good skin care to get the most out of it! Exfoliating makes any foundation look better and since this is med-full coverage, it's a must! Primer can help with any textural issues you may have. The application is important too; if you try it several ways, you'll find something you like. I use the Beauty Blender (damp) for natural coverage, or the Sigma F82 for more coverage. I think the reason this breaks a lot of people out is that they aren't removing it properly! Treat this like a long-wearing product and remove it with a cleansing oil or balm FIRST before you use your regular face wash. Otherwise, you're probably leaving makeup behind every night. Like I said, it takes work, but if you practice good skin care and the right application techniques, this foundation can look amazing.

I am 39 yo, am Asian, combo skin, pink undertone. I tried a sample of this product at the MAC Nordstrom. I returned my Dior Capture Total and went straight to the MAC section because one of my coworkers only uses MAC. The SA was very nice and gave me a makeover with the MAC products. She told me I was an NC20. After she was done, and I looked in the mirror, I was agape with horror as I looked like a madeup doll. I told her it felt like a mask. The SA told me I would get used to the feeling and it would become more natural feeling. I had just used Dior Capture, see my review, and it felt like a second skin but this product did not. She gave me two samples, one for NC20 and NC25 and I bought some brushes, concealer, and highlighter. It was over $250! The most I have ever spent on makeup and I hadn't even bought the foundation.
The small amount of foundation she gave me lasted about two weeks. I still have some left over that is unused.
PROS:
A little goes a long way, I swear that whole bottle would last me six months. The foundation is very thick so I only put a pea sized amount on face with either the stippling brush or concealer brush.
Even though I bought concealer, I didn't need it. This stuff hides everything, it is full coverage.
Easy to put on and you can take your time, does not dry out quickly. I used a stippling brush, foundation brush, and my fingers and it all looked great.
For me, it lasted a long time, over 12 hours. I have graduate school after work so sometimes I have 14 hour days and it still looked great at the end of the say without having to refresh my makeup.
CONS:
It felt like a mask and I felt I had makeup on. Perhaps if I hadn't just used Dior, this would have been normal to me, but because I had the natural no makeup feel with Dior, this was really unacceptable.
Make me breakout. I have several pimples that continue today on my chin from this product. I also used the Mac primer and sunscreen too and maybe the combo was too much for my skin.
The color just didn't look natural or match my skin. My neck is pale while my face has uneven tones of pale color and tan color. I tried both the NC20 and NC25 and liked neither color. It could be because the color does not melt into the skin but sits atop the skin.
I looked like one of those porcelain chinese dolls! Arggh! I hate it when Asian women have foundation that is too white so they can have the coveted porcelain skin even though it is not their natural skin tone. Then their necks are tan and it doesn't match their face.
Yes, I got alot of compliments from coworkers and others who said I looked "great". But I don't look like myself. I know what I look like and this was a "doll" version of me. That is not what I want in a foundation. I want to look like myself but with a better complexion, not a fake Barbie doll lookalike! Arghh, gross.
This foundations appears to really polarize people, either you love it or hate it.
I don't have much experience with makeup but I did not like it. For me, foundation should feel natural, like a second skin. It should also be good for your skin too and not cause more blemishes.
My advice: get a sample and try it first before you spend your good hard earned money on this stuff.

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

This is one of my favourite foundations, and THE only full-coverage foundation I have ever liked because I have dry skin and anything else is too cakey.
This is silky smooth but covers well.
And I have a sort of neutral olive skin so I can either wear nc or nw. (Nc40 or nw25).
Mac is the best for olive skin colors.

It just has a silky flawless finish and it is honestly the ONLY full-coverage foundation I will wear. (Others are too cakey).
At times if I want a more dewy look I will mix it with mineralize liquid or strobe cream
And I apply it either with beauty blender sponge or the 190 or 196 mac brush.
This is a classic and I loved it from the moment I tried it on. However it should come with a pump rather than me having to buy one for it!

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

DESCRIPTION OF ME ~ Light yellowy/olive complexion with a tendency to get redness on my cheeks and around my nose. MAC C2ish/NC20. Large pores, oily and prone to blackheads and occasional acne. Mid-thirties, some sun damage, (melasma) and fine creases on my forehead.

GENERAL DESCRIPTION~ "A modern foundation that combines a natural matte finish and medium, buildable coverage with broad spectrum UVA/UVB SPF 15 protection. Applies, builds and blends easily and evenly. Comfortable and long-wearing, helps minimize the appearance of pores and imperfections, giving skin a smoother, more flawless look and finish." From the site and well, I can't argue with that one bit. It does all those things!

PACKAGING~ Glass bottle, screw top, general pain unless you buy the pump which is essential and makes using this a breeze!

CONSISTENCY/TEXTURE~ Creamy, thick liquid foundation.

APPLICATION~ Pretty blendable actually. It's not a hard foundation to work with at all. I use it over a silicone primer.

FINISH~ The finish is matte but not cakey. I use powder because I like a refined-no-pore look but really, it doesn't need a whole lot of powder. Over a primer this will look natural. On lightly moisturized skin or no primer type base this might not look at well. It's a pro product to some extent and not meant to be used just out of the bottle. I use 1 pump, so, it really is a base. I'm not using this for total coverage or anything, that's what concealer is for. So, if you were to use more than 1 pump you might indeed end up with a bit of cake.

COVERAGE~ With one pump and if I use my fingers I get a naturalish medium coverage and a stippling brush (I'm currently using an ELF!) and 1.5-2 pumps and layer it can get pretty close to full. Not quite like an emollient foundation might but that's what concealer is for!

STAYING POWER~ With a good dusting of finishing powder it lasts all day without fail all day on my oily, dark pored skin.

SCENT~ It still smells like alcohol tbh and that's fine by me. It fades after it dries so not an issue.

COLOUR~ Ok, this is where MAC gets dicey or rather, other reviewers. I actually do NOT find MAC foundations "orange" like so many people seem to. You have the wrong shade if you do. NC is yellow based and being that our skin (dare I say ALL skin) is yellow to varying degrees, this is perfect and very well thought out makeup. Just got to a lighter shade than you think you might need! I find myself having to go darker in drugstore brands because it's only the dark shades that aren't darn pink. :| Also, it's not "oxidizing" you are using the wrong shade!! And, if NC15 "oxidizes" it's because MAC's lightest colour is not light enough for some people. So, that said, NC20 is perfect for me.

OTHER NOTES~ To those saying it breaks you out, it is unfortunate. As far as I can tell any thick foundation like this might have the tendency to. So, it's not the foundation it's your skin, ladies. If I stopped wearing makeup I'm pretty sure I would never breakout. It's not going to happen (for me) I adore makeup so I live with the occasional breakout and I do not blame my makeup. Even if I used something rich and oily like MAC's full coverage (grease pot basically) I would not BLAME the makeup. That stuff is not intended for every day use, it's occlusive to a large degree, of course it's going to break me out! I still break out once in awhile and I don't think this foundation has anything to do with it other than that's the nature of makeup.

OVERALL~ I've used this foundation exclusively for over 2 years now and repurchased many times I adore it. If you are oily and want a long lasting foundation and love yellowy shades, this is a wonderful option. I have just ordered Estee Lauder's Double Wear on a whim because I think I'm in the mood to play around. I have 3 backups of this foundation though and have no intention of trading or getting rid of them.

Thank you Seclusae2 giving me permission to use your great reviewing format.

INGREDIENTS~ ACTIVE INGREDIENT: Octinoxate 2.50% Other: Water/Aqua/Eau, Cyclopentasiloxane, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Butylene Glycol, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Dimethicone, Magnesium Sulfate, Silica, Dimethicone/PEG-10/15 Crosspolymer, Laminaria Saccharina Extract, Algae Extract, Tocopheryl Acetate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Lethicin, Hydrogenated Lethicin, Xanthan Gum, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Methoxy Amodimethicone/Silsesquioxane Copolymer, Laureth-7, PEG/PPG-18/18 Dimethicone, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Propylene Carbonate, BHT, Chloroxylenol, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben [+/- Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Chromium Oxide Greens (CI 77288)]

Skin: Oily, Tan, Cool

Hair: Red, Curly, Other

I know I'll be unpopular with this one but sometimes, the truth does hurt.
Recently during free shipping I tried MAC s/f powder and fluid foundations for the first time. So sure I'd love it despite the warning reviews, I ordered 2 powders and 2 fluids.
The verdict: Not cheap. Does not last 2 full hours without oxidizing horribly. We're talking HOT hot loud orange mess. Then the fading to dull orange (only brightened by the oil slick underneath) and shifting texture. The matte finish does not hold oil for even a minimal amt of time and melts into oblivion unless you constantly babysit your face with a mirror and blot and repowder all dang day. Before I'm out of the garage, I had to blot. I work a real job, I'm busy and don't have time to fool with makeup all day. Like the s/f powder, this fluid mess also broke me out in a fierce way. At these prices, I expected much better treatment from Mr. MAC.
I've the same full, matte coverage - but True and Lasting as advertised - in drugstore brands at a fraction of the cost.

Not convinced MAC is not the $h!#? See my review on s/f powder and give me another shot.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

My all time HG is Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk which is the most amazing foundation I've ever tried. But there are times in the summer when I need something more matte and Studiofix works fairly well. I'm NC15 and this foundation is a great match.

I use it with a MAC skunk brush which helps keep in from getting cakey. It's not as natural looking as the GA LS, but it's a little heavier coverage to neutralize my rosacea redness and the finish stays looking fresher for longer without even using powder. It does sometimes oxidize a bit darker which the GA Luminous Silk never does.

Nice, would be even better if it came with a pump because it's ridiculous to have to buy one.

I also have super sensitive dry skin and this has never caused a problem.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I used to love MAC and now think they are losing their way a little- I have to admit, I felt 'pressurized' into buying this foundation which I absolutely detest now, within 5 days! In any case- here is what I found with the product:
1: it is so matte- if you are over 30, don't buy it- it will make you look 60!
2: it is very heavy. So this is not for the working woman- you will feel like something has been painted on. Plus, because it is heavy, it can't be healthy for aging skin at all- I can actually feel my face painted on (and I don't use too much make up because I work in a conservative office in the city)
3: it feels cloggy: since it it so heavy, my skin feels a bit 'chocked' (do you know what I mean? I think girls with oily/ combination skin do!)
4: it looks like 'makeup': so girls at work have actually asked me 'why I'm dressing up and trying so hard' (so embarrassing! :( )
Funny thing is, since I am combination skin, I was told this was give a matte look- but whilst it might be matte- it is heavy, bad for oily areas and is aging me.
Look I get it now- I think this is for parties, not everyday wear, and certainly not appropriate for work-day-running-around-life.
Help! If someone knows of a foundation that can make my skin look fresh and 'young' -please let me know. Thank you.