MAC Studio Fix Fluid SPF 15

3.5

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm

Yoooooo, I said a ess eff eff eff ess pee eff fifteen
Gurrl, don't act like you don't know what I mean
It's MAC Studio Fix Fluid Foundation
Who would've thought, it's god's creation

Buffed this on my ugly face
At first I swear there was no trace
Of all the acne and scars
Ooo this is way better than Nars
Love the yellow undertone
Which in other foundies can't be shown
Face was nice and matte
Too bad this can't dissolve fat
But wait a minute

Chorus (3x): Wait a minute

Whoa wut the fak
Wow MAC, you actually suck
What's that I see in the mirror five hours later
Holy hell it's every crater
And besides magnifying each pore
In the five hours that I wore
I built up enough oil and grease
For KFC to cook an 8-piece
Plus it smells bad
Like car paint a tad

If you're gonna cost almost thirty dollars
Please don't rub off on my shirt collars
That's thirty dollars I could've spent
Towards paying this month's rent

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

I know there is a lot of confusion on the colourings of MAC products so i emailed MAC and asked. Here is their reply before i get onto the reveiw:

MAC foundations, concealers and powders are coded as follows:

NC Neutral Cool (yellow based) 80% yellow tone 20% pink tone

NW Neutral Warm (pink based) 80% pink tone 20% yellow tone

C Cool (yellow based) 100% yellow tone

N Warm (pink based) 100% pink tone

To help you roughly determine your undertones: Pink (NW) undertones would tend to burn in extensive sunlight. Yellow (NC) undertones would usually tan easily.

The higher the number, the darker the product shades. This should help you determine your undertones and which shade to use. 15 Lightest, 55 darkest. As the number gets higher the shade gets darker.

The warm vs. cool issue can be confusing. We use an Artist's colour wheel to assist us in determining undertones. It places yellow undertones into the cool category and pink undertones into the warm category. NC (neutral cool) is neutral beige with golden undertones. NW (neutral warm) is neutral beige with pink undertones. N (neutral) is a blend of pink and yellow undertones and C (cool) shades have olive yellow undertones.

To determine what your undertones are, take a look at the underside of your forearm. If your vein looks more blue, then you most likely have pinkish undertones (our NW category). If your vein looks more greenish, then you have more yellow or golden undertones (our NC category).

Also try this trick: pull your hair back from your face and drape a true white cloth around your neck. White needs to be the only colour that is next to your face. The white cloth will reflect the true undertone of your skin. Look at your skin in natural daylight to determine if your skin is more golden or more rosy. Colours from clothes can cast shadows on the face that can make it difficult to determine your undertone.

SO the review!
This is definitely the best foundation i've ever used. I got it in NC20 just at a lucky guess (bought it before id emailed MAC) and it is spot on. The yellow tones evens out my skin, there isnt any red in sight once ive used it, just a perfect canvas :) wooo.
It goes on evenly and smoothly with a foundation brush, even without primer and it does not feel heavy. It has lovely matt finish but also a subtle glow which gives you depth and shape to your face.
Only thing is, the packaging. Throw in a pump for free MAC!! When using a high market product you do not expect to have to buy a pump to go with it. But i dont have one and i dont say it completely necessary, would make life alot easier if it was there though :)
No breakouts with this foundation either!
All gooood!

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

Attn: Women with oil, acne prone skin...READ ME.

I rarely write reviews, but I have to speak on this.

I am a black woman in my late twenties who's always struggled with acne since I was 12. I was overjoyed when my mother allowed me to wear makeup and finally began wearing it on a fairly regular basis when I was 16.

I was introduced to MAC in 2004 and I've worn it Studio Fix in about every form since then. It offered great coverage for my terribly uneven skin. I also loved the new compliments beign showered on me as well. lol...The problem with having acne is the constant desire to cover up the scars and hyperpigmentation caused by breakouts. It was like a never ending cycle of breakouts and cover ups. I'd noticed that my skin has gotten worse in every way over the past 5-6 years, but always attributed it to hard luck and bad genes.

I finally decided to read some reviews on MAC SFF (wearing it for the last 2 years on a daily basis to cover up my disastrous, uneven skin). I ran into some GREAT reviews for the product, but also saw some not so great reviews about it. Users discussed the appearance of black heads and whiteheads on the day of or immediately after wearing SFF.

I didn't want to believe that my beloved MAC could possibly be wreaking havoc on my skin. It was my HG Foundation! It was like being told that my best friend was the one who's been spreading rumors about me. I mean, every best friend has flaws (oxidation, easily transfers, fades after a couple of hours of wear), but you deal with it because she's your bestie. You refuse to believe that she's really an enemy. LOL...you don't want to believe it....SOOOOO, I continued to use my MAC! Finally after counting no fewer than 8 eruptions during December 2009 on my face, including two large, painful nodules, I decided I had to truly figure out if MAC was really a frenemy!

I did some research on the internet and was on the search for another foundation. I'd had bad experiences with mineral makeup (ashy, gray looking on my skin tone), but read in article after article that it was a good option. I finally decided on a product line about two months ago. I purchased a mineral foundation and wore it for a week and a half. I experienced no breakouts. I was shocked. I really was. And it washed off SO easily (something MAC SFF doesn't do). I switched to MAC SFF for a few days to test my skin's reaction--Breakout CITY.

In all fairness, I think liquid foundation with medium to full coverage in general, is horrible for women with oily, acne prone skin. I did the same thing with MUFE HD the week before last, wearing it for 4 consecutive days, only to breakout with 4-5 new little treasures. I'm still dealing with two that refuse to go away. Other than that, I'm back to my mineral foundation and all is well in the world. My next step is to find a derm who will prescribe me prescription grade fade cream/gel.

Final thoughts:
The worst part about being addicted/loyal to this product, or any medium to full coverage liquid foundation, is that you could, as I did for years, ignore the idea that it's tearing your skin up.

If you've had a great results with this product, good for you! The makeup is beautiful and the foundation selection is huge. If you are an oily, acne prone girl, who doesn't have problems with this product, again, GREAT! Just saying, if your skin has grown worse, and you KNOW it's grown worse, look into mineral foundation or no foundation at all....It's not worth the emotional baggage that comes along with having jacked up skin, not even for ONE day....

Love.

I've had mixed feelings about this product for a long time now. I'd say since it came out, actually. I've always tried to make it work for me, but it always ended up looking cakey, or thick. But I always went back to it now and then and tried to make it work because I could always sense it's potential. I knew if I could just find the right combo of products/brushes etc to use with it, that I would most likely love the results. Well, I think I've finally done it! These are my tricks for making SFF look beautiful.
1) Make sure you use a good moisturizer. If your skin is at all dry, I doubt SFF will look good. I recently switched to heavier moisturizer because of the winter weather, and I think this has a made a big difference in the way SFF looks on my skin.
2) Invest in some Fix+ and the 187 brush!
3) Don't use too much product. You really only need the smallest amount of this stuff.
My application method is as follows : Moisturize. Let your moisturizer soak in a bit. Apply a primer. Use your 187 to pick up a small amount of SFF. Lightly stipple it where you want it ( I do one half of my face at a time because I find it sets quickly). Then spritz your 187 with fix+ and buff away! I love the result of applying it this way. Then i take a big powder and brush and apply a tiny amount of MSF natural powder to set it. Again, only use a little!! Then I apply my blush/bronzer/highlight and spritz my whole face again with fix+ again to set the make up and take away any powdery look I have going on at that time. It looks natural, and glows, and evens out my skintone better then any other foundation. I think my biggest mistakes before were using too much product and not applying with the 187 (so therefore not stippling and buffing). I tried using the 190 and it went on way too thick for my liking. Lastly, buffng with fix+ gives me a result unike any other.
Sorry if I rambled, but hopefully this helps someone who has been trying to get SFF to work for them too!

IF YOU WEAR GLASSES (like I do) PLEASE READ MY REVIEW!:

My glasses have that "glare protection" coating on them, and this makeup can EAT AWAY at that coating.

I started noticing the bottom edges of my lenses looking like they were scratched, so I brought them into my local eyeglass store, and the woman told me that the glare protection coating was starting to come off. She said that certain chemicals in foundations and powders can cause this.

I had to replace both my lenses, and immediately stopped using Studio Fix Fluid, and guess what? Problem solved.

I wasn't a fan of this foundation anyway, because no matter what method I used to apply it (I even had the girl at the MAC store apply it for me, to teach me how) it always looks thick and cakey. And when I applied too little, it didn't look like I was wearing anything at all.

MAC will always be highly overrated.

I’m 46 and have very red, sensitive, acne-prone skin with an extremely oily t-zone and large pores – yet dry patches around chin and mouth. I have raised acne scars and many red scar spots. I’ve used MAC Studio Fix Fluid NC35 for many years. It’s a bit too yellow for me, but I chose it intentionally to balance out the red. I decided to sample different foundations to see what I might be missing….

I’m still not convinced MAC is the holy grail, but after testing four others, I came back to MAC, like running back to a lover after realizing you made a big mistake.

NOTE: Due to super oily skin, I mixed all foundations with Laura Mercier Secret Finish Mattifying Gel. I prefer to mix rather than apply in separate layers. It makes the foundation lighter and easier to work with. This sacrifices some coverage, but I’d rather have a more natural look.

I wore each of these four, mixed with clear mattifying gel and applied with a foundation brush, for an entire day over one week. I didn’t take off points for mismatching color, as that can be fixed.

Estee Lauder Double Wear – Desert Beige: PROS: Very full coverage and the longest lasting oil control. Stays put – won’t come off on your gym towel when you sweat. A little goes a long way. Extensive color selection. CONS: Even mixed with gel, it was nearly too much. Direct application would certainly look fake. It pooled into patches near the end of the day. It’s fairly dry and settles into large pores, magnifying them. If you like a super-heavy made-up look that won’t budge, this is for you.

Hourglass Immaculate Liquid Powder Foundation – Shell: PROS: The coverage was medium and looked natural. It kept oil at bay as well as MAC or a bit better. It didn’t separate or pool into patches. Overall, I thought it was fairly decent. CONS: Shell was a bit too pinkish for me. Not sure I could create a match even if I mixed two colors due to the very limited color selection. I liked this better than ELDW, but it wasn't special.

NARS All Day Luminous Weightless Foundation – Santa Fe. PROS: Good coverage that tones down redness well. CONS: It sucks. Thin, watery consistency makes it VERY difficult to apply, even when mixed with gel and using a foundation brush. It dries quickly and sticks to dry patches. It pooled into more patchy areas after long wear. Oil control was average. I don’t have the time or desire to buy a stipling brush and painstakingly spend 40 minutes managing this mess into a smooth, even coat. PASS!

Estee Lauder Double Wear Light - #3: PROS: Of all, this was my best color match. It provides good coverage but is not as heavy and cakey as Double Wear. Oil control is good, but not as good as DW. CONS: Like DW, it still has a tendency to settle in, and magnify, large pores or other problem areas. And although it’s more natural looking than DW, I still felt it looked obvious. Very small color selection. But a decent foundation, if you can find a color match. I just got lucky with #3.

MAC Studio Fix Fluid - NC35: Friday, I put on my old standard to compare it to the rest. Maybe I’m clinging to the past, but I have a newfound appreciation for it! PROS: It has a velvety creaminess that makes it easy to apply and spread before it sets. Unlike the others, it really seems to make the surface of my damaged skin appear smoother. It does not settle in, and magnify, large pores, wrinkles or dry patches. It provides good coverage and covers redness well. It doesn’t pool or form patchy areas after long wear. CONS: Medium coverage, which I like, but not ideal if you want full. The pump doesn’t come with it. It doesn’t hold the record for oil control, and it comes off easily if you wipe your face. But I’m willing to pay these costs for the glowing, natural, smoothed-over look that none of the others delivered.

After cheating with four others, I’m back to my current love: MAC.

I have a word for this foundation. The reason why many women are not able to find their perfect match for their skin tones/colours, despite that MAC is producing millions of colours and offering 'better' selection than most other cosmetic brands, is quite simple: they are creating colours based upon dogma and preconception of women's skin, not on down-to-earth research on real women.
For example, many Occidental or Caucasian women find the NC range too yellow, and NW too deep red. And in fact this is also the case for Oriental women. According to certain research conducted upon the skin undertones and colours of Japanese women, the result show that many fair-skinned women do NOT have yellow tones, NOR red, but neutral or beige tones.
So I guess I am not the only one who feel when I put the NC15 on I look like one of the characters of Simpsons - despite that the colour itself is a reasonable match, it turns the skin yellow, especially in pictures and if this is a deliberate result expected by the leading catwalk makeup artist cosmetic brand then I have to say that its not my cup of tea.

I've been wearing this foundation for years (since 2008). I was doing just great with it and I used to wear it everyday. No breakouts, no irritation, just perfection. One day I decided to venture out to find a "better" and "more lightweight/natural" foundation. I tried a bunch---Dior Forever, ELDW, Chanel Pro & Mat Lumiere, Clarins Everlasting, Clinique, BB Natural Finish, and the list goes on. Boy oh boy did I wreak havoc on my skin with all of these! You're either going to have a love or hate relationship with this foundation. Either it is going to completely ruin your skin or it is going to not do anything at all to it and actually make it better. Fortunately, I fall into the latter category. Thinking for a while that I was breaking out from this foundation, I rest assured that it was trying all the other foundations that made my skin terrible. This is GREAT for my skin and I am acne-prone and have THE MOST SENSITIVE SKIN in the world!!! I feel like if anyone touches my face, I might just break-out, that's how bad it is.

The thing with this foundation is that even though it is very thick and paint-like, it is oil-free and does not contain the typical comedogenic ingredients that most other foundations do. I'm guessing it's probably b/c MAC was initially made only for make-up artists. It also covers beautifully---full coverage, but doesn't accentuate your dry spots like Chanel Teint Innocence and Chanel Mat Lumiere do. It dries to a powdery natural-matte finish and lasts all day. It doesn't really look "natural," I mean people will be able to tell you're wearing foundation, but it definitely makes your skin look absolutely flawless.

The trick to this foundation is to use a very light power on top. I use MAC Blot Powder to set the foundation. A lot of people use MAC's Sheer-Pressed or MAC's SkinFinish Natural. While those are incredibly beautiful powders, they're a bit heavy to wear on top of SFF and may cause that cakey white-trash effect that everyone tries to stay away from. And you're also going to feel as if your skin cannot breathe and is being suffocated with a heavy powder. The Blot Powder just sets it, and doesn't add any color or texture so your foundation just looks fresh all day. I've never had to re-blot the SFF as the Blot Powder is really effective upon its first application. I also apply this with Lancome's flat foundation brush, as that provides the heaviest and most flawless coverage.

Removal---I get rid of this foundation with Pond's Cold Cream. Then I wash my face with my BP Cleanser. This is a very tough foundation to remove as it has incredible lasting power. Make sure to get all of it off, otherwise you may have a zit or two in the morning. Of course, we cannot blame this on the foundation, only our laziness. =(

Guys, for those of us with sensitive skin who can tolerate this foundation wonderfully, my advice to you is to not venture out for something newer or better. They are sure to break you out and ruin your sensitive skin. Like I said, the reason my sensitive skin can tolerate SFF is due to a lack of typical comedogenic ingredients + the oil-free factor. Also note that just b/c a foundation is oil-free does NOT mean that it won't break you out. Ingredients like stearic acid and mystyric acid are sure to cause problems, but silicones in foundations are hit or miss.

Oh yeah and I have fair-medium skin and I wear NC20 b/c NC25 turns orange on me. I wear the Blot Powder in Medium-Dark since it runs light. Hope this helps. If you have any questions, email me. =)

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Okay, Ive been wearing it for 4 months now and I have to admit, I had to work out how to get the perfect application. I made the mistake of a first-timer and applied it the way I would have my other foundations which are sheerer. Does not work!
Since I really dont see the necessity in spending a fortune for MACs brushes I figured out how to look flawless and natural by using my fingers.
First off: exfoliate your skin regularily. This foundation might show any dry spots easily.
Before applying put on a really good moisturizer and let it sink into your skin for 10 minutes. THEN use the Prep/Prime from MAC! It does make a difference: youll need a lot less of the fluid because it just glides on effortlessly and doesnt get into your pores at all(one of my problems). Let the P&P dry for about five minutes>>>important! I know this seems like a lot of preparation when youre in a hurry in the morning, but what I do is just brush my teeth/fix my hair/get dressed in the meantime...
THEN use your middle/ indexfinger and really take as little an amount as possible, almost to where you cant see the fluid on your finger. Tap this into your skin and repeat until you have the coverage you want. This stuff is highly pigmented, so you definitely do not need as much as you would normally. You only need extremely little!
I experimented with this stuff and finally found a way to get that "no-make-up-look" and still get sufficient coverage for my redness and blotchiness. And voila! It works. You cant see the coverage at all and I still have flawless - but natural looking skin!
If you apply this the way you would a regular foundation, be aware that you will look VERY made up.
Nonetheless, I love it. Its expensive, yeah...but you need so little, that in the end youre actually paying a lot less.
Be sure to get a very translucent/colorless and fine loose powder to set it. The powder makes a huge difference, too. Even if you carefully
apply your foundation, the wrong powder will destroy that natural looking skin.
The only thing I dont really like about it is the bottle...there really should be a pump! I dont like sticking my finger into the bottle-breedingground for bacteria...no matter how clean you are.

4 months later: Im not breaking out at all, I just notice that now in the hot weather I get oily quite quickly.

Mac Studio Fix Fluid VS. Estee Lauder DW
Similarities:
-SCENT: both smell like home interior paint
-COLOR: ELDW in Sand is a very close match to MSFF in NC15. NC15 is slightly a smidge lighter
-strong yellow undertone! Great if you struggle to find drugstore foundations with enough yellow. Great for most Asian skintones like mine!
-PACKAGING: No pump on either. Both 1 fluid oz.

Differences:
-COVERAGE: both have the potential to be full coverage. ELDW is less buildable (can cake easily), but applies full coverage even while applying a minimal amount, is a little more watery, and dries quickly. MSFF is thicker in consistency, but dries slowly and applies sheerer than ELDW. The consistency of MSFF reminds me of Maybelline Superstay. MSFF is not a light coverage foundation though! It is definitely MEDIUM to Buildable full coverage!
-FINISH: ELDW is definitely a matte/porcelain finish. MSFF is slighlty more hydrating and is satin! When light hits the face, the surface is matte, but the skin underneath still has sheen. (MSFF is more natural in my opinion)
-PRICE: I paid $27 for MSFF. $38 for ELDW.
-STAYING POWER: ELDW lasts throughout 10hr days! Very long lasting, but less hydration. MSFF doesn't last as long. (I have oily skin in summer)

Verdict: ELDW is great for oily skin types, especially in summer! If you have dry patches, moisturize well, use a hydrating primer. ELDW is not forgiving when it comes to dry patches. MSFF for combination skin to normal skin. MSFF will look fine over mild dry skin, but bigger dry patches need to be moisturized well. MSFF doesn't last as long on oily skin either. MSFF is better for a more natural look and more forgiving of mild dryness.