MAC Cosmetics Studio Fix Fluid SPF 15

3.5

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Silver, Curly, Medium

I've tried many foundations, including Youngblood mineral powder complete with the Rice setting powder (my latest attempt at controlling my oily Tzone).

All foundations I've tried: Revlon Colorstay, Most BB Creams, Clinique, Youngblood Mineral Foundation with the Rice Setting Powder and HD powder, Bare Minerals, Inglot HD - I've spent so much money on Foundation, etc, etc... start to turn into an oil slick after 4 hours of wear. I hate getting oily and I always do, no matter what face cream I use.

Not this one! I apply a very small amount with my Inglot brush (no need to apply a lot) and set it with whatever setting powder I have at hand. It lasts a full 9 to 12 hours on my skin. Last week I was on the road all day, from one site visit to the next (I'm an interpreter and was accompanying a delegation), needless to say, I did not have time for touch ups and it was also the first time I tried Studiofix. This particular road trip also entailed getting on a fishing boat. And this particular visit lasted four days. A hectic four-day schedule and Studiofix performed beautifully.

Studiofix did not budge. I kid you not. After the 9-hour mark, my nose was the tiniest bit shiny, but oh so little. Nothing the Clinique Blot Powder couldn't fix.

I've found my HG foundation.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I bought this foundation because I thought it would provide excellent coverage and last well on my oily skin. Sadly, it did not deliver exactly as I expected.
Firstly, the coverage is good, I would call it a strong medium. Does not completely cover the brighter acne marks, but unifies the skin very well, with only minor need for pinpoint concealing.
It looks reasonably natural on the skin, considering the thicker texture and coverage, so that is a plus.

However, when it comes to the shades and lasting power, it really let me down.
Yes, there is a very wide range of shades, but the undertones are mostly very strong. The NCs and Cs are incredibly yellow, very hard to wear for anyone verging on the neutral spectrum and the NWs are far too pink for warmer neutral tones.
I am light-medium olive-neutral toned and struggled hard to find a match. I finally settled for N5, but that was still more yellow than I would have wanted.
And as far as lasting power goes, this is just sub-par. I was an oily mess only a few hours in, the foundation started to dissapear and break down much faster than Revlon Colorstay or Loreal Infallible Matte, both of which are cheaper than SF, but perform far better.
The packaging is abysmal as well. Making customers buy a pump because they refuse to include it with the packaging is just sleazy money grabbing.

I like a lot of MAC products, but SFF will not be getting my money again.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hated this foundation, I had very high expectations when it came to this one, but it didn’t work for me. After 3 hours the oil came through even with Mac Blot Powder. Application was a breeze, just wished it would have lasted more than 3 hours. Not for me.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

This is a good foundation, provided you have prepped your skin well before application. However, if you are oily skinned and live in a humid/tropical country this foundation may not be for you as the oil still manages to seep through. It's pretty good in winter. Am in the shade NC42 and I usually set the foundation with prep and prime setting powder.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I used to wear Double wear by Estee Lauder for decades. The last 2 years used Touche eclat ΒR50 from YSL and a month ago I had to buy a new one. A MAC store opened near by, and I was too lazy to drive, so I got a bottle of Studio Fix Fluid. I am super tanned swimming all year long, so got NW40. My skin is not a typical oily, occasionally I would say, and normal in winters. I also use an oily face cream I make on my own. Forgot to say I am an allergic person.
This product really kissed my face. Not oily finish, not a dry look, no allergies. It gave me a velvet satin flexible finish, stayed 12!! hours on my face in the heart of summer, full cover as I dont have super trouble with brown spots, only near my nose on cheeks, because of the suntan, but it covered them all. When I wear it, I feel my face very hydrated. Use a MAC sponge to apply, very easy steady and full cover with a touch of youth! I love it!!!I will definitely go on it again, its an adorable foundation. The only thing you have to see is to buy a pump. Its extra charge but you can use it for all your future foundations.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I tried NC15, NC20 and NC25 for MAC Studio Fix Fluid. The two latter ones are so orange and turn more so over time. The counter girl had brown skin but her foundation looked like umpa Loompa coverup. I gave it a second lippy because it matifies the skin. My skin looked pretty corpse like in this foundation. It makes
my face itchy. Thumbs down!!

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I received a sample of this, along with a few other good foundations that match my tone to try out. The pros: it goes on easily and dries to a matte velvety finish with a medium to light coverage. The cons: there is no pump which can end up turning messy, and it only lasts for 4 hours on me, 5 hours tops before turning cakey and oily. I'm able to remedy this by using a good primer first which gives me an extra couple of hours, but can't get it to extend for much longer than that. Part of that is due to the humidity where I live which reeks havoc with everything from skin to hair so I have to factor that in when making any criticism about the lasting power of a foundation...or anything for that matter!
Definitely suggest this for more normal skin types, I can't see this working well on dry or oily, only skin types in between that don't require heavy coverage.

Selena x

~ My HG list ~

(I've sampled 100s of skin, hair and m/u products over the last decade and a half, as I'm constantly trying out new stuff all the time - usually sample/trial sizes from e-bay, also plenty courtesy of a friend who works at Sephora. Thought it might be useful to share my top 10 must-have products, subject to change if and when I come across something more effective)

1. Hair Loss Treatment: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Hair Oil
2. Lip Balm: Jack Black - Intense Therapy
3. Pigmentation/Anti-Ageing: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Facial Treatment Serum
4. Cleanser: 'Aveda' - Purifying Gel Cleanser
5. Concealer: ‘Mac’ - Studio Finish Concealer
6. Lash Growth Serum: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Divinelash
7. Foundation/SPF: ‘Juice Beauty’ - Stem Cellular Repair (warm glow)
8. Face Scrub: ‘Sisley' - Botanical Gentle Buffing Cream
9. Moisturizer: ‘Antipodes' - Rejoice Light Day Cream
10. Hand Cream: 'Origins' - Make A Difference Rejuvenating Hand Treatment

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

I used this foundation about 4-5 times before tossing it! The only redeeming quality about this foundation is the amount of product you get for the price.

I had high hopes for this foundation as I've always heard of it being a staple as far as foundations go, but I was sorely disappointed. Unfortunately, this foundation settles into every fine line you may have and sits on top of the skin, rather than "melting" into it. It gives you a cakey look and others can definitely tell that you are wearing foundation!

I would much rather choose a foundation that gives a "my skin but better" look as opposed to a mask like look.

Would not repurchase and would not recommend. I hate that I even wasted my money on this product.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Best foundation I have ever used. Amazing coverage, lasts all day and makes your skin look flawless!

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I really love this, it's not thick and cakey, just enough coverage for someone who does not need the cakey look and feel...and does not break out my face..,