MAC Studio Fix Fluid SPF 15

Filtered by age: 56 & Over

4.2

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

I had read so many good things about Studio Fix Fluid here and on YT videos. I got my usual NC20 color which is perfect for me in Mineralize liquid foundation, C1-N2 in Face & Body. I had wanted to try the matte look that's been popular this season. NC20 in Studio Fix Fluid was too yellow and too dark for me, and the finished texture was extremely dry, accentuated every line around the eyes. It does cover blemishes. This formula would seem to work best on young, oily skin. If you do get it, consider going lighter and more neutral than you think you'd need. Test on face near hairline before purchasing -- don't try to get the color right by using just hand or jawline. I'll stick with Mineralize liquid and F&B.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is the first liquid foundation I have tried in a very long time. Due to rosacea issues, I normally wear a cream or pan makeup for the total coverage. Because my redness is now much decreased (I am 7 months into a good rosacea control routine) I wanted to lighten up a bit on the texture of my foundation. I was matched with NC20. The SA applied the product with a duo fiber MAC brush and several hours later, my daughter saw me and said it looked like I was wearing a yellow Kabuki mask. My first impluse was to rush back to the MAC store and return it. However, I decided to give it another try on my own. I am finding that the color blends really well if I use a light hand with it. It does cover and even out my skin tone and lasts until I take it off. I use my finger tips to spread it as I find that the brush lays down just too much product and the makeup sponge just eats it up. It goes on so smoothly and blends so well. I believe that is partly because of all the silicones in the foundation. So far, I have not had any irritation from leaving this on my face all day. I do not set with a powder as I want a slightly dewey look. I am not altogether sure that I have been matched with the right color. Maybe I am a NW although I have always avoided "pink" tones in foundation as I am a pale olive. I am still in the trying it out stage. I have only had the product for less than two weeks. By the way, I did buy the pump (ouch! $8). I think it makes it easier to dispense but more awkward to travel with the pump in place.

Gurl I be usin' this last year...and let me tell ya....my pores were big before I used it, but when I have this stuff on my face, my pores be poppin'. I was like MM MMM this is just no good. On the positive side, it gave me coverage like MMMM. Y'all couldn't see NONE of my breakouts and acne spots. So I guess on that level, it's a good thing to use.

I keep coming back to this foundation dispite having and loving a couple others (Boots & EL). Have found the best way for me to apply is to spray my makeup sponge with a little Fix+ to give the foundation some sheerness. It works brilliantly. Without a doubt my skin looks the best with SFF.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

This seems to be a product that can't be described objectively: everyone who uses it has a different experience. My own has been positive--once I learned how to use the stuff.

I bought it because I was curious about the color-matching system that so many people swear by. I turned out to be an NW20--cool-toned and fair/medium. (Not every MAC sales associate agreed, though--one insisted I was NW15.) The MUA who sold me the makeup didn't take much time to explain how to apply it, and as a result I stopped using it for a while.

I am used to thick foundations, because for much of my life I had chronic cystic acne and a red, uneven complexion. So when I first began using this, I laid it on rather generously, even though I'd also bought the brush recommended by the MUA (the 190, a flat, paintbrush-type thing). The result was that I used too much and the liquid looked very yellow on me. I thought that was intentional--an attempt to counteract the redness of my skin--but I didn't like it, so after a while I stopped using it. I took a look at the 187 brush, which applies foundation much more lightly, but it didn't suit me.

Okay, long story short: I finally learned how to use the makeup, and that is to apply it sparingly but evenly. What I do is lightly dip the 190 brush into the bottle (even when the makeup is running low, a shake or two will bring some to the top of the bottle) and spread it over my face thinly. The liquid offers so much coverage and pigmentation that a thin layer is all you need--and anything more will look clownish.

I shouldn't have had to discover this on my own. The MAC sales associates should have told me. But I've found them to be an extremely inconsistent lot--some are good, many are ignorant and lazy. But that's another subject.

This makeup lasts all day for me, from ~7:00 am to 9:00 or 10:00 at night. My oily t-zone does need to be blotted (I like MAC's Blotting Powder in Medium), but blotting it does not remove any of the makeup.

I do think that MAC should make this available in more shades, especially those at the fair end of the spectrum. The lightest "cool" shade that they sell is NW15, and my own NW20 is just one step darker than that. That's unusual in my experience--with most other foundations there are many shades lighter than the one I use.

But, if you can find a shade that suits you, you like medium to heavy coverage, and you learn how to use it, I think you'll be happy.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

PRODUCT: Studio Fix Fluid From MAC

COLOR: NC 30

COST: $ 25.00

DISCRIPTION: Yellow based liquid foundation

COVERAGE: Full coverage

SMELL: Nice smell that I love. When you smell this smell you know your smelling MAC. Lovely smell!

CONTAINER: A glass bottle. It's not easy to apply this with a foundation brush.

WOULD I BUY AGAIN: Yes but it's expensive. Gives full coverage and covers acne well. Worth the price.

I used this everyday for work a year ago. It was alright, not spectacular, but far better than other liquid foundation I've tried. Did not break me out and application was superb with the Lancome Foundation Brush. I don't use it much anymore because I use MMU, but I break it out once in awhile on special occassions when I need heavier coverage.

I really like this foundation. It glides on and gives you plenty of time to blend no matter what you use...brush, fingers, sponge. The coverage is flexible so that you can apply a little and still get nice coverage or go heavier for more coverage still without looking heavy. This product last all day and doesn't change color for me at all. It has a great natural finish.

I love this foundation so much. At first I was a tad weary of MAC after reading reviews of Studio fix breaking people out, but once I had tried it for a week, I saw that it was my HG. I found the best way to apply it is with the 187 brush, or one similar to it should work, I apply it on my hand then onto my face. I am in love.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

am debating whether to award this a 4 or 5 but have decided to give it the benefit of the doubt. first of all, re color. i got NC 25 at the suggestion of the MAC ma when i emailed them. i am a C3 in Studio Fix. the color is excellent and i'm very happy that i did not listen to the mas at the counter who thought i should get NW 20. but i stood my ground because w/o a little yellow the NW would turn ashy on me in a few hrs.
anyway, i like it quite a lot. am very pleased with the SPF 15. my main gripe is that it's a whole lot of trouble. apply with #190 fndtn brush, wait about 30 secs until it settles and then apply a bit more where i need extra coverage. then apply blot powder. and then ... ho hum ... wash the brush (or at least wipe it). all this is as opposed to Studio Fix where you apply, 1-2-3 and are set to go.
in short, i could see myself buying this again because of the SPF. i also don't see why MAC sells the pump separately. when i bought it, they were out of pumps and i must've wasted a lot of product until i did get the pump about 2 weeks later.
EDIT (6/26/06): i am deducting a l/s. this is too much to mess around with on hot summer days, plus which i am finding it too thick. in any case, the color is now too light but that is my fault, i bought it, i guess, when i was paler.