MAC Studio Fix Fluid SPF 15

Filtered by age: 25-29

3.5

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I love this foundation for the night, it made my skin look like doll skin plus it stays all night. But I find it to be bit drying for my normal to dry skin so I have to wear two moisturizes plus primer underneath. Also if I wear it during the day it tends to get too dry and it doesn't look natural which is the look I love during the day. At night it can't be seen cause there is less light. So I only use it when I need extra coverage and for special events. If you love high coverage foundation that lasts long time and your skin is normal to oily this stuff is perfect. Color range is really good, it fits my really fair skin perfectly. I am NC 15. It lasted me for 2 years(I used it once or twice a week) so I think price is totally decent. I would buy it again cause sometimes heavy make up is needed.

Pros:
Great coverage
Long wearing

Cons:
The colour range in the palest none really seemed to match me
Not great on dry skin at all

This foundation is unusual and I am not quite sure where to start with it. Originally MAC was recommended to me by a friend who is a makeup artist due to their undertones and broader shade range for persons who have warmer/ darker skin tones. At the time I was going to buy EL Double Wear but thought I'd give MAC a go as their shade range, and the claims of their foundations performance was good.
I was matched with NC40 and it is a pretty good match for my skin tone (better than EL DW Honey Bronze, which is yellower), that I was impressed with as its very difficult for me to find foundations to match my skin (I have neutral/warm and yellow/golden undertone). I have good skin with no wrinkles, minimal lines and no pores however I do have some scarring acne. I have normal/sensitive skin that is prone to dryness at times so I definitely did not want anything full matte. Despite being advertised as a 'Matte' foundation, I don't think this is unless you put powder on top of it. It is a more semi matte/ satin finish (which I prefer).
The biggest disappointment for me with this foundation is coverage. Its advertised as medium- full coverage, but is really medium coverage, if you use a fair bit of it I would say full medium at best. Personally I prefer full coverage because I don't see the point in wearing makeup unless it covers everything. I do apply this foundation with a brush so perhaps applying with a sponge (which I am planning on trying) will be different. I've only used primer with this foundation once but have not noticed a big difference whether you use one or not (I should note I am planning on buying a silicone primer and trying it so I'll post an update) It doesn't do a bad job of covering my scars, it covers my lighter ones quite well, but the darker scars not so much- it definitely doesn't conceal them. At $50AUD a bottle, I kind of feel it should.
The second disappointment for me with this foundation is its lasting power. I find that for the first few hours of wear, it looks amazing and photographs beautifully. However around the 4hr mark, its like it starts to soak into the skin a bit more and slowly begins to wear off. It also is not transfer proof, as you may have guessed (not terribly transferable like most Revlon foundations but is transferable nonetheless). Usually after the sixth hour of having this on, half of it has worn off and I have to re-apply. I haven't used a setting spray with this but I kind of think you shouldn't have to. Its 2017, if you want to charge high end prices for foundation, make sure you can make a product that actually does the things you claim. Makeup has come a long way and I am beginning to feel a lot of the higher end foundation brands are not delivering the foundation quality they are capable of producing and are sort of just half-assing it. Again, for the price and MAC's reputation, I expect better.
I find this foundation does oxidise a little, but doesn't make a difference on my skin.
I am on the fence about whether to re-purchase this or just keep hunting for a better one which can deliver on what it claims. I feel like if MAC made a few improvements to this foundation it would be my HG for sure. I have made a list of pros and cons below so its easier for others to make a decision on this foundation as well.

Pros:
-Formula is nice and creamy (I am used to using crème foundations and this is lighter than what I am used to, but I love the consistency)
-Great color range for warmer/darker skinned people
-Photographs beautifully
-Does not look cakey (on me, anyway)
-Easy to blend in
-Minimal Oxidization
-Semi-Matte Finish

Cons:
-Full Medium coverage at best. I feel as if you put a lot of this on to try to get full coverage, then it may look cakey
-Not long lasting. Starts wearing off around the 4hr mark, you will need to touch up around 5-6hr mark.
-Transfers. Not terribly but still, it transfers.
-Expensive

On a final note I want to say if people were in the same boat as me and tossing up between EL Double Wear and this one, I would say certainly get samples and try both out. MAC foundations are more golden in the warmer tones whereas EL foundations are more yellow. I found Honey Bronze (my shade in EL) is fine when only a thin layer is applied but once I put more product on, its too yellow on me and does look cakey/dry/chalky(possibly because I have normal skin, not oily skin). EL DW is also proper matte, whereas this foundation is semi matte.

Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm

This is my go to high coverage foundation when I want to look flawless. It photographs well and is long lasting. I don't like using this as an everyday foundation because I find it a bit heavy feeling. Blends well. I prefer using a stippling brush for that airbrush finish. I can't wear it for more than 2 days straight or I'll start to break out. I was matched to NC40.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I hate to give one lippie & negative review about this cult foundation & MAC as a brand. But this is what I experienced with them..so, here I go! :)

About MAC:
- They have the rudest sales assistant EVER! How they speak to you, body languages, unwillingness to show products, and they alwaysss play with testers, ignoring you (now MAC counter in our biggest mall is closing down. Yay?!)
- They will give you side eye look if: you wear minimal makeup (yes I was looking for a new foundie), your makeup over the top than theirs (I have my makeup done by MUA, I was waiting for the party to start so I decided to strolling into makeup counters for killing time. The MAC sales assistant is talking behind your back. I heard them (something about eyebrows too bushy too. Thin eyebrows are on fleek back then!))
- Tester always runs out, especially lipstick
- Sales assistant (in the counter I visited) lacking knowledge about MAC products
- Sales assistant gave me wrong color of this Studio Fix Foundation (she gave NC42! When in MUFE I am Y235, around medium light/medium)

I use this Studio Fix Fluid about 10years ago. For a mere 2months then I tossed it (I gave it to my granny's maid)

What's GOOD about Studio Fix Fluid:
- Coverage (It covers my acne marks perfectly. I don't need concealer)
- Finishes (It's not matte or overly dewy on my combo skin. Just a right satiny finish)
- As far as I remembered, there's no whitecast (sorry I vaguely remembered, but it looks decent in photo (no flashback) albeit a bit orangey face compared to my chest/body)
- Pretty glass bottle

What's BAD:
- Bad color match (screw you sales assistant) NC42 gave me orange face!! Dust it with light colored powder didn't help. It just made me looking like powdered mochi. Dammit!
- The velvet cap easily got dirty
- No pumps. Pumps is expensive too
- I breakout horribly. I have all types of acnes (according to my dermatologist). Papules, pustules, cysts, and some nodules covered all my face! They put Algae on the ingredients whichhh years later (from other products with Algae in it too) I know I have bad reaction to Algae. After dermatologist visit, I tossed this foundie to the maid.

With acnes covering my entire face, this foundation definitely is NOT FOR ME. I steer out from foundie for a while after my dermatologist visit. It took me 4years to clear my acne...and with those rude sales assistant just NOPE. Yes, I still buy their lipstick, but from a private online shop :)

One of my holy grail foundations! NC10 is a perfect shade and SFF doesn't oxidize, which is a miracle for my combo/oily and very pale skin. The coverage is a solid medium but can be built up to almost full. I mix this with a BB cream to get a more natural, lighter coverage. I set with a translucent powder and All Nighter Spray, and my makeup lasts a good 10-12 hours. I wish it came with a pump (I mean, really MAC?) but the small, no nonsense packaging is great for a small bathroom.

ETA: Turns out this foundation DOES make me break out. Guess it's no longer my holy grail...

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Love this product, when I use it at night and I know I'll be out for hours I use the product as it is. During day time wear I moisturize my face with rose gold elixir and it lightens my complexion and skin texture. It is heavy makeup so deep removal once it's not needed is a must. If you don't clean it properly you might get irritation, but that's almost all makeup products. I go workout and sweat and I still have my face perfectly covered.

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

👎
Ok girls, so my skin is combo, dehydrated and sensitive. And to make it short, I hated this. First, I don't think the colour blends well. I tried different shades and couldn't find one that looks natural. Nw20 was the closest (I'm neutral) but still looks like I'm heavily madeup even if I only use a drop of the stuff.

I didn't like it bc
- It's really thick
- Coverage is higher than I wanted (I prefer to go for medium coverage)
- I couldn't find a shade that looks natural on me
- BREAKS me out bad!!!!!! (And my skin isn't even acne prone). Whenever I use the next day I get huge whiteheads that take forever to go away.
- Not a fan of the smell

Having said this, I got it bc a friend of mine uses it and she's delighted. Her skin type is normal/dry and it hasn't broken her out and it looks really natural on her. So... idk what to say. But I'm passing this on to her bc my skin doesn't like it.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This product gave me the worst cystic breakout. I am in my twenties and had gotten my skin under control for years. This made me feel like a teenager again in a bad way. It also itched my skin so there must be ingredients in here I am allergic to. I read that it is the talc, which is in a lot of MAC products and makes sense because nothing from MAC ever worked out for me. If you have sensitive skin, beware.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

If you like a full coverage flawless foundation you will LOVE Mac Studio Fix Fluid.
I have an oily T-zone, mild breakouts and this foundation lasts all day for me. I do notice it lasts longer when paired with my Mac Primer. This is basically a high end (better) version of Revlon Colorstay. So if you like that, you will love this. I wish the pump came with this foundation, but it's such a minor setback to how much I love this product. I will repurchase over and over =)