Dermalogica PreCleanse

Dermalogica PreCleanse

Not tested on animals

Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Prunus Armeniaca (Apricot) Kernel Oil, PEG-40 Sorbitan Peroleate, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Cetyl Ethylhexanoate, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Oils Of: Borago Officinalis Seed, Aleurites Moluccana Seed, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Bran, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed, Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Peel, Lavandula Hybrida, Cymbopogon Schoenanthus, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange), Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender), Citrus Nobilis (Mandarin Orange) Peel; Solanum Lycopersicum (Tomato) Extract, Tocopheryl Acetate, Decyl Olive Esters, Tocopherol, Dicaprylyl Carbonate, Isopropylparaben, Isobutylparaben, Butylparaben, Citral, Limonene, Linalool.

on 12/9/2018 10:11:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I received a sample of this, which lasted me at least 3 weeks. This is an oil cleanser that you dissolve using water. To me, it feels just average: cleans decenty, but definitely not one of the beast things I've tried. I use waterproof makeup and thick sunscreen daily, so the cleansers I use need to be good. As with most oil cleansers, this needs to be followed up by a foaming ne (at least for me).

What really annoyed me about this is the very heavy essential oil-scent. It says "no artificial fragrance", but that doesn't matter - there's A LOT of fragrance in here. It's a mixture of citrus oils and lavender:

Citral, Limonene, Linalool, Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Peel Oil, Lavandula Hybrida Oil, Cymbopogon Schoenanthus Oil, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Oil, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Citrus Nobilis (Mandarin Orange) Peel Oil

... and I don't like that. There's WAY too much fragrance, to the point that it's stinging my eyes. For the very high price of this, there's no way I would ever purchase it myself. I appreciate no fragrance, or something very mild, is products that are supposed to be skin care.

Dermalogica's PreCleanse is their iconic precleanser make-up remover. It has been around for quite a few years now and is not only a staple but one of their best selling products.

Whilst it is indeed an excellent precleanser and makeup remover, the price and amount for what you receive is rather unjustified. There are now countless cleansing oils in the skin care market all of which that cost less and are just as effective if not better than dermalogica. I see no reason to pay the amount of money required for PreCleanse when there are now budget friendly more affordable options.

I would receive this as a gift absolutely and use it well up, but to go out of my way and pay full price for it. No no, It isn't worth the money. Unless ofcourse your a die hard Dermalogica fan.

I now only purchase budget friendly cleansing oils from the drugstore that remove makeup and precleanse just as well if not better than Dermalogica.

If you must purchase this product, do so on the many discounted skin care websites or buy it at salon size for better value. I would not recommend this anymore.

As for the product itself, the cleansing oil is a thin cleansing oil, there are a few cleansing oils out there that are quite thick. This cuts through the day's grime, oil, sunscreen and stale makeup efficiently on dry skin, emulsify with water to rinse cleanly with no oily residue. It does the job fairly well, it also wonderful to remove stains from clothes, to cleanse expensive natural haired makeup brushes and fine jewellery.

The bottle is convenient to use and is no available to purchase with a pump. Travel size options are also available.

I will simply not be repurchasing this based on the price alone. All the wonderful ingredients in this cleansing oil cannot do much, as the brief moment that is cleansing doesnt allow enough time for these wonderful ingredients to do their magic, this is a precleanser, nothing more.

on 8/23/2018 9:59:00 PM

Very good oil cleanser.

I used this when I started esthetician school and this makes a big difference for the rest of your skin care regimen. The scent is lavender and has a thin, fluid consistency. I feel it does get your skin clean and prepped for your cleanser.

This does get expensive even with a pro discount but I highly recommend to anyone that wears makeup and sunscreen everyday.

on 6/8/2018 7:52:00 AM

I've been using Dermalogica's precleanse (the version with a pump) for almost 6 months now and I am really happy with it. It is an excellent make-up remover and my skin (which is normally very sensitive) seems to like it - no breakouts or dry patches. It smells lovely (lavender oil) and is very easy to use.

The main reason why I gave it 4/5 for overall rating is that it seems to be slightly harsh if you use too much of it, especially around the eye area. It has caused some redness around my eyes, and I asked my therapist why this may be the case, and she said I'm probably using too much of it or rubbing too much, both of which was apparently the case because, since I've stopped doing so, my skin isn't red anymore.

As for price, I agree with some of the other reviews that it's not the cheapest product ever. However, it really lasts long! I've purchased my last bottle three months ago, and still have half of it despite using it on a daily basis. So, in case you decide to splurge on this, you'll see that a little goes a long way.

Overall, I am really happy with this product and I'm buying it again! :)

on 5/30/2018 2:29:00 PM

Decent/okay cleansing oil. But it's very expensive and not as good as other oil cleansers that are out there IMO. My favorites are DHC, Origins, and Boscia. MAC is good too.

Dermalogica's Precleanse cleansing oil does a thorough job and rinses off nicely. Leaves no residue behind. Those are the good things about it. This oil has a very strong botanical scent that I didn't like very much. It has a very runny, watery texture. Wasn't crazy about that either, I like my oils to be a little bit thicker. And this product made my eyes so blurry! That happens a lot (to me anyway) with oil cleansers, but the blurriness caused by this product was SEVERE.

IMO, this product is comparable to Neutrogena's Ultra Light Cleansing Oil. The Neutrogena is significantly cheaper though, and it's scented as well. But the eye-blurriness isn't an issue with that one. Honestly, I'd recommend the Neutrogena over the Dermalogica. Or if you're willing to spend more, the above-mentioned oil cleansers are all better too.

This wasn't a horrible product, but it's not something I would buy again.

on 5/5/2018 6:36:00 PM

It was amazing at removing makeup without drying out my skin, but I found it to be a tad irritating on my sensitive skin due to all the fragrant oils. If you don’t have sensitive skin then this is probably a great makeup remover!

on 4/14/2018 3:19:00 AM

I would highly recommend this oil cleaner despite its expensive price. It removes all my heavy makeup including around my eye area.

on 4/12/2018 7:40:00 AM

Not bad and feels nice to use but doesn't remove all makeup and eye makeup. I prefer to save my money and do a double cleanse with my dermal clay cleanser, once dry and then dampen to wash off. Then once on damp skin.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I was talked into buying this product at Ulta by a heavily made up sales associate who swore that one pump took off all of her makeup with no effort. She said she had been using it for years and that it was an all natural oil cleanser that was non-irritating with a natural scent. Could even be used on the eye area.

What BS. Irritated the hell out of my skin and my eyes swelled after using. My rosacea reacted. I do not recommend this if you have any kind of sensitive skin or eyes. It may have natural scents to it but they are not favorable to maintaining a healthy skin barrier.

on 1/28/2018 9:43:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I never write reviews, as I simply don't have the time to. This product however I feel does deserve a review. I've struggled with acne and extremely oily skin since I was a teenager. I'm writing this review in my late 30's. I feel as if i've tried everything, from store bought products, to spa grade products and medical grade products. I've gone through 7 dermatologists at this point. I've had severe cystic acne which now has finally gotten under control.

I'm of Asian background, eat healthy and exercise on a regular basis. I felt like I was doing everything I could to try to control my extremely sensitive, acne-prone skin. Sensitivity is due to the harshness of all the chemicals I've used on my skin throughout the past 20 or so years.

It wasn't until I started using a "Korean" method of a skincare routine that I finally got my acne and oiliness under control. Let me explain: what this means is I've adopted the Korean method of skincare, but that does't mean I always use Korean skin care products.

This is my night time routine:
1. Oil cleansing method: Dermalogica Precleanse - It's important to use this dry with no water at first. I can literally feel my pores unclogging as they feel like little grains of sand in my fingertips. I wear heavy makeup sometimes for work and nothing gets face makeup off like using the right oil on your face. I also use this on my eye makeup, which helps to loosen it up, but doesn't remove all of it (I also wear waterproof mascara).

2. Eye makeup remover: Clinique Take the day off for eyes/lips - While my face is still wet (this is important because not washing away off of the precleanse makes step #3 way easier) I use cotton pads saturated with my eye makeup remover to take away the last traces of eye makeup.

3. Foaming cleanser: Iope Whipping brightener - A little goes a long way with this stuff. With wet hands I get a quarter size amount of this product and lather it into a foam then rub it in circles all over my face. Then i use a wet washcloth and remove the product gently, always swiping up on my face.

4. Toner: Nivea sensitve skin toner - Super cheap and I just saturate another cotton pad and swipe onto the face.

5. Second toner: Mario Badescu - Rose toner (can't remember the exact name and I've run out) - Spray onto the face and pat in. This helps to add moisture.

6. Serum: Sulwhasoo First care activating serum - This is pricey, but so worth every penny. I use one pump all over my face.

7. Eye cream: Neutrogena Hyaluronic eye cream - Dot this around the eyes. Good for sensitive, contacts using eyes.

7. Face cream: Clarins Multi Active cream - Spread a dime size amount of this on the face.

8. (Sometimes in the winter) Thicker night cream: Sulwhasoo Ginseng cream - Crazy most expensive thing in my routine, but on days when my skin feels dehydrated, i layer this on top of my clarins cream and my skin in the morning is softer than a baby's butt!

I wanted to write all of this because I feel like Dermalogica's precleanse has done so much for me, and although I'm not fond of the price tag, I've been a returning customer because when used right, has helped to clear my skin.