Mineral Oil

Price: $

Price: $

100 Mineral Oil

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Mineral oil is a petrolatum type (petroleum jelly) oil and is carcinogenic. The cheapest cosmetics and lotions all have it usually. It is not good and a factor in tumor growth so I wanted to let you ladies know exactly what this is. Use at your own risk and if you don't believe me do some research on mineral oil on google. I do find it helps to soften my skin when it's in lotions but I don't want the cancer it causes.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

Once you understand that any oil traps moisture (water) in the skin and doesnt actually moisturize the skin in most cases, then you'll be friends with any oil!

That said, mineral oil is an excellent makeup remover and this is what i use primarily to oil cleanse my face. It's cheaper and more effective than the expensive stuff. Lipstick, foundation, mascara.... They dont stand a chance! Follow up with a mild cleaning soap and a moisturizing cream or lotion suitable for your skin type and skin magic will happen.

Ive found my skin is softer with less dry patches around my nose and on my cheeks, more balanced and I think because all traces of makeup are removed, it has actually helped with my occasional small breakouts.

It only costs about $2 in most pharmacies and lasts forever as you need so little. If you can get over the ludicrous fear we've been taught to have of mineral oil based products, then give it shot. Youve nothing to lose. Just remember to wash it off if you use it as a cleanser and only use it on damp skin if you want to use it to aid in improving the moisture levels in your skin.

To Read all 47 Reviews, Login or Join

on 1/30/2016 11:59:00 AM

Comforting, but broke me out in tiny little pimples & it did sting my eyes if not washed off.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

Removes all my makeup like a dream, which is all that I ask for. Works even on the toughest of waterproof mascaras. The process is a bit messy though, and I found that in order to get rid of the oily feeling I need to use a regular facial cleanser and a washcloth. The price is excellent compared to other makeup removers. I highly recommend.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

This review is for mineral oil as a makeup remover.

First off, I think it is worth mentioning that there are variations of mineral oil that can range from the thin liquid of baby oil to a thicker more viscous consistency similar to condensed milk. I don't know if they function differently or not, but I'm reviewing a more viscous cosmetic grade variant that I purchased from TKB Trading.

I've tried several oils for makeup removal (apricot kernel, grapeseed, almond, avocado, castor, argan, etc. and various mixes of them) and on my dehydrated-normal acne-prone skin it is easily the most effective. I use a small quarter sized amount to remove a full face by massaging the oil into my skin. I end up with a lot of makeup smeared unattractively across my face, which I follow up with a foaming cleanser to remove both the oil and the makeup.

Mineral oil's thickness makes it easiest to work with since it doesn't drip down onto my neck or clothing, and it has a somewhat more luxurious feel. I was admittedly hesitant about trying mineral oil since I'm acne-prone and it gets a bad reputation, but there has been no noticeable increase in acne. I do find double cleansing is sometimes a bit fussier than I would want so I am still looking at other makeup removal options in the future but I think this is a solid standby option.

Overall, mineral oil is an inexpensive and easy-to-use makeup remover for double cleansing.

on 6/13/2014 10:44:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

A while back I bought a large bottle of mineral oil, because I had this brilliant idea I was going to make my own cold cream. Needless to say the cold cream was a disaster! However, I had the good sense to hold on to the mineral oil, which I started using as an eye makeup remover. This is the 100% pure mineral oil you get in the laxative aisle at the drugstore. It's fragrance free, and a large 16 oz bottle only costs about $3.00 dollars.

Normally I use cold cream to remove my makeup, but if I'm just wearing eye makeup, I use this because it's a bit easier. What surprised me about the mineral oil is how thick it is. It's definately different from baby oil, which is thinner and is perfumed. This has no scent, and I like how the thicker product stays put and doesn't seep into your eyes.

It's easy to use. I just put a little bit on a cotton ball and gently dab it on my eyes. I also like to include my eyebrows even if I'm not wearing eyebrow pencil, because I feel like it really condtions your brows and eyelashes. Then I wash my face.

Another trick I do with the mineral oil is to use it under my eyes before washing my face. I got the idea from reading this terrific beauty book from the 1970's called "The Natural Way to Super Beauy" written by Mary Ann Crenshaw. Crenshaw is a big believer in the Erno Laszlo method and apparently knew the man himself. She outlines his method in the book and mentions how she puts a special oil under her eyes before washing with his special soap. So, I went online and found the oil she's talking about, which they still sell. Guess what the first ingredient is? That right, mineral oil. Except his version costs $45.00 dollars. I tried using the mineral oil under my eyes before washing, and it works great. It sort of protects the delicate eye area while you clean. The whole eye area feels fresh and soft when you're done washing. Mineral oil is such a great, inexpensive product to have on hand. For only a few dollars, you have very little to lose.

on 9/27/2013 12:59:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine

I use plain cheap mineral oil to remove make up, then I typically clean my face again with another cleanser.

It would be better to suspend this in water first but I dampen a cotton pad. Tthat is what most make up removers are - oil suspended in water with a few chemicals, so you pay $$$ for a tiny bit of oil in water keep that in mind when trying to spend less on make up

Any type oil would be fine, Argan, Olive, etc.

No need to pay $$$$$$ for a few drops of oil in water to remove your make up when you can get (gallons literally) by using another oil or mineral oil, just use water with it.

on 2/10/2013 7:43:00 AM

I have been using jojoba or almond oil for years to remove my makeup but recently decided to try mineral oil (not the baby oil) because i was on a budget and i really dont like it at all! It was not light like jojoba and seemed to strip my face instead of leaving moisture. I just hated the feeling on my skin and its so thick. And then after 3 days it broke me out. I guess it will sit there till i need it for other purposes. Definately will not repurchase.

on 10/3/2012 8:58:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I use drugstore brand mineral oil (found in the laxative section, yuk, but grab and go, no pun intended) and it is odorless (unlike baby oil) and colorless. 16 oz bottle. I love it for moisturizing my face, hair, skin plus it can be used as a makeup remover. Inexpensive. I do like baby oil but the scent bothers me sometimes, and I prefer products with no scent anyway. Plain old mineral oil is perfect for me! It comes in an opaque white bottle with a screw cap. I peeled the labels off so as I was using it for beauty things the word "laxative" wasn't glaring at me. Now, it's just my oil.

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

My skin has been quite temperamental lately. It's dehydrated/oily, sensitive and prone to clogging and now getting some break outs. Not fun. I noticed that some gals on the skincare board have had good luck with using mineral oil as a cleanser/moisturizer. I had some baby oil lying around and I thought I would give it a try. The first week I just cleansed with it, I would rub it on my face then remove it with a warm, wet baby wash cloth. My pores started to get very clogged so I thought that I would try using another cleanser to remove the baby oil, instead of just using the wash cloth. That didn't work well either. I then thought that maybe I was using the wrong kind of mineral oil. I ordered some cosmetic grade mineral oil from Garden of Wisdom. I tried using it a pre-cleanser, cleanser or moisturizer and it failed on all accounts.
My skin felt suffocated. like I was walking around with plastic wrap over my face. My pores became so clogged, it was horrible. At the same time my face was oily yet sooo dry. I should have patch tested this first, leason learned. I wish I could give this zero lippies!!!