Nature's Gate Biotin shampoo

3.6

Not tested on animals

on 6/22/2014 12:06:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I found this shampoo to be very strong. Although it's sulfate free, there are four other cleansing agents in it including: cocamidopropyl hydrozysultaine, sodium cocoyl isethionate, disodium cocoamphodiacetate, and lauryl glucoside. That explains why it lathers so well. Don't get me wrong. I'm not opposed to lathering shampoos. In fact, I prefer them. However, I've found that most sulfate shampoos are just as gentle if not gentler than some of these sulfate free shampoos. After using this, my hair felt very dry and tangled until I applied conditioner. (FYI: The matching conditioner is very good). I wouldn't recommend using this everyday, but it might work as the occasional clarifying shampoo.

This shampoo does have some good points. It contains two types of hydrolyzed protein to strengthen the hair. It also has a wonderful minty smell. As for the price, this cost me about $7.00 dollars for a 18 oz bottle. Personally, I get better results from Mane 'n Tail Shampoo, and it's only around $6.00 dollars for a 32 oz bottle. Although I'll use up what I have, I doubt I will repurchase this shampoo.

on 11/30/2013 1:24:00 PM

This stuff is really awful! I have fine hair that gets greasy quickly. Normally I have to wash my hair every day. At first I was faintly pleased to see that with this shampoo I could get away with washing every second or even third day, but as I worked my way through the bottle, my scalp became so dry, tight and uncomfortable that I started to dread the next wash, because even though my hair was lanky and needed to be cleaned, my scalp was like the sahara. Today, I had to slather coconut oil on my scalp to get some relief. This may be sulfate-free, but it contains some sort of corrosive detergent that rivals drain cleaner. And this is their nourishing range!

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Although this product dries out my hair, it really does work in terms of strengthening. My hair doesn't fall off so easily now. But my hair becomes quite dry so I fix that with a serum after my wash. Love the 'earthy' smell and I think it lathers quite well. Price is affordable for a sulfate-free shampoo too.

on 6/22/2011 5:39:00 AM

I am loving this shampoo. It smells minty and feels refreshing, foams and cleans very well without having to wash twice. I noticed that it adds a bit of volume too.

The only thing I don't like is that its is slightly tangling so a good conditioner is a must. The price is amazing and the amount you get is huge

I came across this shampoo in Whole Foods & it looked so appealing to me. I have problems with my hair due to allergies. This cleanses my hair well without drying, makes it some stronger, and it definitely feels healthier. I think anyone with oily, normal, or sensitive scalp would like this. Great buy and product!

on 10/4/2009 9:40:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I love this shampoo! I am switching from BWC Daily Benefits. Nature's Gate Biotin shampoo makes my fine, fragile hair look better, break less, it's cheaper than BWC, and I don't think it contains petrochemicals like BWC does.

I will need to finish my bottle before I am sure, but I think Nature's Gate Biotin shampoo is my HG shampoo!

on 2/19/2008 11:53:00 PM

A friend told me a few years back that she used to give biotin vitamins/pills to the horses that she raised because biotin is great for their manes - the same reason why biotin is supposed to be great for human hair, too! So when I saw this shampoo, and faced with all the hair in my shower drain, I had to pick it up for a try. The shampoo promises to be gentle, and I will say this: It is very gentle and makes my scalp a bit tingly when I use it. On the other hand, it is so gentle that I find myself having to use lots of it if my hair is a bit more dirty, as it is not meant to be a clarifying shampoo. Granted, I don't use it on a continual basis, since I rotate among several shampoos to prevent build-up, so I am not sure I see the difference it makes in my hair. Perhaps biotin works better when taken as a vitamin? I'm on the fence about this one, but seeing that it is somewhat pricey (if I recall correctly, $8-9 for a bottle) for the iffy results, I probably won't repurchase.