Eau Thermal Avene Cicalfate Restorative Skin Cream

4.4

Ingredients: Water (Aqua), Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum), Glycerin, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil, Zinc Oxide, Propylene Glycol, Polyglyceryl-2-Sesquiisostearate, PEG-22/Dodecyl Glycol Copolymer, Aluminum Sucrose, Octasulfate, Aluminum Stearate, Beeswax (Cera Alba), Copper Sulfate, Magnesium Stearate, Magnesium Sulfate, Microcrystalline Wax (Cera Microcristallina), Zinc Sulfate.

One of the cheapest products in Avene's skincare range, but one of the best - usually goes for around £7-£9 per tube.
It's a little heavy as a daily moisturiser, but when skin is irritated and flaking this stuff is amazing. The formula isn't anything radical - mineral oil, zinc and copper compounds as antibacterial agents, and micronised sucralfate, an older treatment for stomach ulcers. But this water-in-oil formula is moisturising while acting to speed up repair of the skin's natural barrier function - the suspension of sucralfate particles helps create a mild scaffolding-type layer to help wounded skin heal. When I've been over-zealous with retinoid or AHA/BHA treatments, this is the best thing to put on my skin while it heals. I also like using it when I've attacked any spots or blackheads - which I shouldn't do, I know - and it encourages faster re-epithelialisation so it's easier to cover with make-up.
It does look shiny on the face, but hasn't worsened or caused new acne breakouts on my skin. It's not ideal as a daily moisturiser as it is so heavy but is invaluable in soothing and softening irritated, broken skin. Works well overnight when used as a sealing, protecting final step in skincare.

The packaging is nothing spectacular, has the same white background and peach coloured Avene logo. However, the tube for this cream is actually made of metal foil, rather than plastic, with a screw-cap lid. This protects the cream inside, and makes it easier to get full use out of this cream as it can be coiled and compressed like a toothpaste tube to get every last scrap out.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

This cream is amazing at minimising and soothing redness/hot flushed skin, and irritation!

I was using Mirvaso gel to treat my rosacea but unfortunately, it did more harm than good and my skin was irritated and red and this completely soothed my skin

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

Sorry to contradict the other reviewers, but for me this cream did absolutely nothing - I has a small irritation on my chin and it did nothing for it, except drying the skin even more. I also tried to use it as a cuticle cream as a reviewer suggested, but also I didn't noticed any results. Too expensive for what it delivers.

THE BEST STUFF EVER! I suddenly got acne and started using this because I read all the amazing reviews. This took away the redness from the pimples and made them a lot less painful! It’s a little expensive but the price is so worth it! I was afraid that I was going to break out since the product is so thick but I haven’t! LOVE LOVE LOVE!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Plain white goop, and I mean that in the best way possible. This stuff is unscented, heavy on the mineral oil and there's nothing jazzy about it. I love the tube it comes in - like an old fashioned metal one, though it lacks the flip top cap I covet - and it's pretty easy to get the amount out that I want. It takes just a bit to spread; you have to let your body heat help it move it just a bit as it has an amount of body. If you use too much you get a temporary white cast and you can prance about pretending you have an old fashioned mask product on.

The first few weeks I used it, it didn't seem to be doing anything at all. I usually use it at night after my shower, so it locked in moisture nicely, but didn't do anything else. I started adding the Olay unscented something boost first, then topping with this and I'd get a nice glow. It's totally decent, I just don't plan on getting it again. But if you have severely dry skin, I think this might be very helpful.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I wanted to find a cream that would fade my acne scars and I found out about this one. The formulation was too heavy which clogged my pores and caused breakouts. I tried it more for a few days to let my skin get used to it but to no avail. Now, it just sits on the shelf along with my other unused beauty products.

I cannot really speak to it's skin healing claims ( redness burns etc). But I love this as a super thick face cream. It has a really nice heavy texture and no scent. This does not break me out and is super hydrating. I also really enjoy the cold cream which is kinda a lighter version of this.

As I have Rosacea I have had laser treatment every year or two for the past 20 years or so to keep it under control.
I always go the to the same practitioner- a very highly trained doctor who keeps up with the ltest developments, equipment and training. She has also become a friend.
Every treatment is pretty much the same. Some pain, a lot of redness which looks like sunburn but goes away in a day or so and a little light peeling in a couple of places. A gentle touch with skincare and makeup over the following week and all is well. There is always a follow up session in about 3 weeks to tidy up any little capillaries which need a touch up and the redness etc is repeated but for only a day or so.
Last time I had a treatment (2 and a half weeks ago now) during our usual catch up my friend and I shared some truly heartbreaking news and we were both very upset. I don't know if that was the reason things did not go the same way as usual this last time or whether with age my skin just doesn't bounce back like it did.
In short I had a very bad reaction to the treatment. My face was very swollen for about 3 days-I couldn't go out. The pain persisted for 3-4 days to the extent that I had to take pain relievers. The redness is still there but has broken up into spots and lumpy sections. I had 3 open sores which are nearly healed just now.
The purpose in recounting this story is that while I was crying with the pain and trying to figure out a way to relieve my poor tortured skin I came across an article on Avene products specifically formulated for post laser care.
I ordered my long suffering husband out of the house to the nearest retailer and he came back with Cicalfate Restorative Skin Cream. It turned out that wasn't the exact one formulated for laser treatments but that was what I got. As soon as I applied it ever so gently all over my throbbing red face it started to calm down. I kept applying it frequently and liberally over the next few days and the pain went away and things improved dramatically. Nothing else I had applied made the slightest bit of difference.
I am still using it on a couple of areas but sparingly. I do not anticipate that I will need it again until the next assault on my face either by laser or the elements (or some other ill advised experiment with a product from The Ordinary range).
It was extraordinarily inexpensive-under $20. So well worth purchasing.
I also tried their cleanser and moisturiser in their calming range and found them to be just average. Definitely calming but nothing wonderful. The cleanser particularly leaves a reside which I find unpleasant.
So if you are having or have had a laser skin procedure I would urge you to go to the Avene website and look up (properly-not hysterically and desperately like I did) their range specifically formulated for post laser care.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is a GREAT product and the only one I constantly repurchase. It might be my 15th tube or so- I always buy loads to make sure I have one with me wherever I am. My skin is oily and acne-prone, sometimes "stressed" and inflamed, when my hormonal balance is messed up. I can have clear skin for a while and then wake up covered in pimples. I always use this overnight when it happens, because it really repairs my skin. When I pick my skin (bad!), I clean my face and then apply this locally. It ensures my skin stays smooth and heals properly, and isn't stained with scars.

Whenever I have some dry spots due to treatments, or my nose feels sore and dry after I have a cold, or when I break out, I use this. I even use it as a mask when my skin feels dehydrated.

I broke out on my cheek yesterday, and it was a cystic, pretty painful pimple: I just used Cicalfate overnight, rubbed it in then applied more on top, and this morning it was flat and almost completely healed. I'm sure it will be gone by tomorrow. I can't live without this stuff. Of course don't apply it under makeup- it's VERY thick and greasy! I apply it before bedtime and during the day if I'm staying home. NOTHING beats it.

I kinda wish this came in a plastic tube though, because it can break and spill.

Skin: Very Dry, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Hair: Grey, Other, Other

I was offered a sample when this product 1st came out and had no desire to try until now. There was absolutely no irritation with this product. It is gentle but powerful! I really am happy

Popular Lotions / Creams