Avene Cicalfate Creme Restauratrice

4.4

Ingredients: Water (Aqua), Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum), Glycerin, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil, Zinc Oxide, Propylene Glycol, Polyglyceryl-2-Sesquiisostearate, PEG-22/Dodecyl Glycol Copolymer, Aluminum Sucrose, Octasulfate, Aluminum Stearate, Beeswax (Cera Alba), Copper Sulfate, Magnesium Stearate, Magnesium Sulfate, Microcrystalline Wax (Cera Microcristallina), Zinc Sulfate.

Great at quickly healing cuts & redness

must have !

I bought this cream to spot treat my eczema under my eyes and to treat my acne scars. So far it's helped tremendously healing the scars and helping the redness subside. However it doesn't do too much for the eczema. It decreases the swelling and the itchiness but doesn't do much to hydrate it, probably for the reason other people have mentioned below.

Conclusion:
If you are only looking to heal scars or help the redness go away, this will be your best friend. However, if you're looking for something more moisturizer to help with eczema, it will not help.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I love this product.
I mostly use it on my lips and it works perfectly.
It also helps a lot when I have dry patches.

But I think it is perfect for dry lips

My experience was very similar to the reviewer below me. I have very dry skin with patches of eczema, so I bought this when the patches on my face started growing in size and becoming more red and blotchy, hoping this would help with the skin barrier damage and in turn make it more able to hold in moisture. Or at least to reduce redness.

It's a very thick but not greasy (at least not for my dry skin) cream and doesn't spread that easily. It's not very moisturising so unless you have oily skin I'd suggest using it with a moisturiser.

The first two or three times I applied this, it had actually worked well. The redness was gone and my skin looked much healthier. However after that it just went downhill. Now this stings my dry patches and only minimally reduces redness. It hasn't helped with repairing the skin barrier either, and now my eczema actually looks even worse. I tried using this above and below my moisturiser, as well as with cetaphil but it didn't help at all.

I was only using it on my face though, I've just switched to using it on my body and I'll update soon on whether it works on my body.

UPDATE: I realised why this cream did not work for me and the reviewer below. I had completely forgotten that zinc oxide dries the skin, so it helps wet eczema but worsens dry eczema. If you have rashes from sweating and humidity, this (or just any cream with zinc oxide) will likely help you. If you have desert-dry skin, probably not.

Skin: Very Dry, Medium Brown, Warm

Before purchasing this cream:
I desperately wanted to love this cream. It sounded perfect for my very dry, eczema prone skin, has great ingredients, and has glowing reviews online and many recommendations. Many people with eczema/dermatitis have recommended this as a great treatment/moisturiser for their skin. I purchased this - not as a general all over facial moisturiser - but as an alternative to steroid creams for eczema patches/flare ups.

Product:
The tube is great, keeps the ingredients sanitary, though the metal tube may likely crack towards the end. The texture is creamy, quite thick, and it can leave a white tint on your skin, though if rubbed in properly it should disappear. It does feel moisturising on your skin.

My review:
I initially purchased it for a few facial/neck eczema patches, and upon application at night, it felt great - really soothing, moisturising and nourishing. I was optimistic and hoped for the best after applying on my eczema patches. Come morning, the eczema patches where I had applied it felt even drier with flakiness and white patches, though the redness/irritation/soreness was gone. I was extremely confused. As the redness had gone, maybe the dry/dead skin cells flaking off was my skin renewing itself? I wanted to carry on, and give it more time. I tried it continuously for a few nights, and though it did remove the redness and soreness, it did nothing for the dryness, and i could go as far to say it actually made the dryness worse. Complete paradox, I know. I have tried this multiple times, each time hoping that maybe i need to give it more time to do it's "repairing", or wanting to find the right application method. I have tried applying it under a moisturiser, hoping that whilst this does the repairing, the moisturiser on top will combat the dryness. But to no avail. I have tried so many ways in an attempt to coerce my skin into loving it, hoping i can join the exclusive fan club, yet my skin will not surrender! I finally have to admit defeat and acknowledge that my skin does not love it.

On the plus side though - I do find it great as a spot treatment though and it helps prevent scarring from spots and the like.

Conclusion
I feel bad giving this one star - I generally love Avene and they have fantastic customer service - but people need to know that a product may have great reviews, and will work for everyone and their mother, but it may not work for you. I will not tell others to stay away from this cream, or claim that it will do nothing for your skin because of my experience, rather, i will say try it, if it works for you great, but if it doesn't don't be too disheartened.
Also please note that i have only used this product for flare ups, as many people usually do - and hence this review is a reflection of that, and this is not a review on it's usage as a general everyday moisturiser.

Lastly, my skin never really gets on with hyped/positively reviewed products, (rosehip oil, vitamin c serum, hydraluron....) and prefers much quieter, lesser known products from well known brands (avene cold cream, la roche posay intense nutric, avene cold cream lip balm, green people cream cleanser)..but i'll save that rant/post for another review.
Update: thanks to the reviewer above who highlighted that zinc oxide - one of its main ingredients - is drying on the skin. If you are looking at this for eczema treatment may work if yours is of wet/weeping type. If its of the drier kind may not work, as in my case and reviewer above.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Normal/dry skin, on Tretinoin for anti-aging, no acne issues.
I absolutely love this cream. It's wonderful for itchy, stinging, inflamed, red, irritated skin. I use it after waxing, my home peels, cuts, or any type of burn. It's soothing, gentle, calming, never stings - even when applied to raw or broken skin. It completely cleared a pesky patch of dermatitis on my nostril within a couple days, working far better than the 12% zinc diaper cream I had been using. It also helped heal a burn on my nose from a disastrous experiment with pore strips.

It's slightly thick, but easy to spread, even on dry skin. Folks who think this is thick must've never tried Nivea or La Mer. I don't need to warm it, it rubs in easily, I just pat around the delicate eye area, as with anything I put there. (I've added a pic of it on my finger so people can see the consistency). It's unscented. It's water-based, absorbs quickly and doesn't leave a tacky or greasy feel. I like the fact that it has Zinc sulfate and oxide, Magnesium and copper. My skin responds well to those. I love that it's silicone free.

As an all-over face cream, it's great for certain things. But - it's not very moisturizing on its own. It's NOT meant to be a moisturizer.
It's meant to soothe irritated skin and help the skin's barrier. I apply it over a light layer of Argan/Rosehip oil blend in the p.m. a few times per week. It's great at sealing and preventing moisture loss. Perfect for those who can't tolerate a heavy, occlusive cream but still need help with their skin's barrier. I use it after a waxing/peels and it's perfect, it calms the redness, inflammation and itchiness that occurs. I've read that it can/should be used after in-office procedures/laser, etc, and I imagine it would perform there as well, though I haven't had any of those procedures.

£7.50 at Boots. Such a great price!

I have a combination skin and tend to have alot of weird, dry spots after taking a shower, mostly on my forehead. I started looking for a creme that's moisturizing but doesn't clog the pores. I tried this creme out just a few days ago and can allready tell the difference. My skin is softer and alot more hydrated!
I do recommend to use a small amount if you're like me and just need some hydration because a little goes a looooong way.
It does tend to sit on the skin quite long, even when applying after a shower when the pores are open. I'm currently using it in the summer and might have some discomfort with it in combination with the heat but i'll still try to use it.

I really love this for the winter. It saved my skin. My skin is sooo dry and flaky in the winter and I get red rashes on my neck because of the dryness especially from my acne treatments. After trying this for about a week, my skin had a beautiful texture. No more dryness! It has a thick consistency like cream cheese but if you warm it up in your fingers it helps with the application. It is a heavy cream that gives you a healthy glow and is best for those with drier skin. Wouldn't use in the summer though.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I love this product, total life saver with such reasonable price!
Started using this because my derm suggested as a post benzoyl peroxide (witch can dry or even burn my oily acne prone and sensitive skin) and it helped soothe the irritation...but then i started using it to help heal acne scars (post extraction) and it was magic...let alone the miraculous efect on scabs or dry patches.
Two months ago I was put on accurane and my skin changed completely, it became so dry i didnteven imagine. None of my hydrating creams would do (i used light formulas for oily skin). During the journey of finding the perfect hydrating cream, cicalfate saved my days. It doesnt clog the pores or cause acne, it leaves a baby soft feeling, scab and flake free.
I always have a tube on my cabinet and would suggest this to all skin types!