Avene Cicalfate Creme Restauratrice

4.4

Ingredients: Water (Aqua), Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum), Glycerin, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil, Zinc Oxide, Propylene Glycol, Polyglyceryl-2-Sesquiisostearate, PEG-22/Dodecyl Glycol Copolymer, Aluminum Sucrose, Octasulfate, Aluminum Stearate, Beeswax (Cera Alba), Copper Sulfate, Magnesium Stearate, Magnesium Sulfate, Microcrystalline Wax (Cera Microcristallina), Zinc Sulfate.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is a GREAT product and the only one I constantly repurchase. It might be my 15th tube or so- I always buy loads to make sure I have one with me wherever I am. My skin is oily and acne-prone, sometimes "stressed" and inflamed, when my hormonal balance is messed up. I can have clear skin for a while and then wake up covered in pimples. I always use this overnight when it happens, because it really repairs my skin. When I pick my skin (bad!), I clean my face and then apply this locally. It ensures my skin stays smooth and heals properly, and isn't stained with scars.

Whenever I have some dry spots due to treatments, or my nose feels sore and dry after I have a cold, or when I break out, I use this. I even use it as a mask when my skin feels dehydrated.

I broke out on my cheek yesterday, and it was a cystic, pretty painful pimple: I just used Cicalfate overnight, rubbed it in then applied more on top, and this morning it was flat and almost completely healed. I'm sure it will be gone by tomorrow. I can't live without this stuff. Of course don't apply it under makeup- it's VERY thick and greasy! I apply it before bedtime and during the day if I'm staying home. NOTHING beats it.

I kinda wish this came in a plastic tube though, because it can break and spill.

Skin: Very Dry, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Hair: Grey, Other, Other

I was offered a sample when this product 1st came out and had no desire to try until now. There was absolutely no irritation with this product. It is gentle but powerful! I really am happy

HG product! I start to panic a bit when I'm running low on this, so I have it sent automatically every 3 months. It's very rich, so I only use it at night, on damp skin, and I always mix it with a lighter lotion. If you try to rub it in straight like any other moisturizer, you're gonna have a bad time - it's too thick to spread evenly on dry skin.

This is the only thing I've tried so far that is guaranteed to keep my skin hydrated all day. I never get flakes anymore. It took me a long time to figure out that my skin was oily from dehydration! I also recommend this after you've done manual or chemical exfoliation.

Skin: Very Oily, Deep Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

Overall it does what it says on the package.

Pros:

Post waxing or hair removal cream, it really helps soothe inflamed/swollen/reddened skin.

Also works great for opened acne...any acne where you have picked off the head or any pus filled acne which has burst open, this cream works great to heal those fast.

Works great on sunburned, reddened skin.

Works great for post shave cuts and scrapes.

Cons:

Does not work on below the skin acne or any acne which has just come a head (unopened).

Kind of thick and waxy and forms a film with a slight white tint on my dark skin.

Can make an oily face more sweaty so best used at night.

Great at quickly healing cuts & redness

must have !

I bought this cream to spot treat my eczema under my eyes and to treat my acne scars. So far it's helped tremendously healing the scars and helping the redness subside. However it doesn't do too much for the eczema. It decreases the swelling and the itchiness but doesn't do much to hydrate it, probably for the reason other people have mentioned below.

Conclusion:
If you are only looking to heal scars or help the redness go away, this will be your best friend. However, if you're looking for something more moisturizer to help with eczema, it will not help.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I love this product.
I mostly use it on my lips and it works perfectly.
It also helps a lot when I have dry patches.

But I think it is perfect for dry lips

My experience was very similar to the reviewer below me. I have very dry skin with patches of eczema, so I bought this when the patches on my face started growing in size and becoming more red and blotchy, hoping this would help with the skin barrier damage and in turn make it more able to hold in moisture. Or at least to reduce redness.

It's a very thick but not greasy (at least not for my dry skin) cream and doesn't spread that easily. It's not very moisturising so unless you have oily skin I'd suggest using it with a moisturiser.

The first two or three times I applied this, it had actually worked well. The redness was gone and my skin looked much healthier. However after that it just went downhill. Now this stings my dry patches and only minimally reduces redness. It hasn't helped with repairing the skin barrier either, and now my eczema actually looks even worse. I tried using this above and below my moisturiser, as well as with cetaphil but it didn't help at all.

I was only using it on my face though, I've just switched to using it on my body and I'll update soon on whether it works on my body.

UPDATE: I realised why this cream did not work for me and the reviewer below. I had completely forgotten that zinc oxide dries the skin, so it helps wet eczema but worsens dry eczema. If you have rashes from sweating and humidity, this (or just any cream with zinc oxide) will likely help you. If you have desert-dry skin, probably not.

Skin: Very Dry, Medium Brown, Warm

Before purchasing this cream:
I desperately wanted to love this cream. It sounded perfect for my very dry, eczema prone skin, has great ingredients, and has glowing reviews online and many recommendations. Many people with eczema/dermatitis have recommended this as a great treatment/moisturiser for their skin. I purchased this - not as a general all over facial moisturiser - but as an alternative to steroid creams for eczema patches/flare ups.

Product:
The tube is great, keeps the ingredients sanitary, though the metal tube may likely crack towards the end. The texture is creamy, quite thick, and it can leave a white tint on your skin, though if rubbed in properly it should disappear. It does feel moisturising on your skin.

My review:
I initially purchased it for a few facial/neck eczema patches, and upon application at night, it felt great - really soothing, moisturising and nourishing. I was optimistic and hoped for the best after applying on my eczema patches. Come morning, the eczema patches where I had applied it felt even drier with flakiness and white patches, though the redness/irritation/soreness was gone. I was extremely confused. As the redness had gone, maybe the dry/dead skin cells flaking off was my skin renewing itself? I wanted to carry on, and give it more time. I tried it continuously for a few nights, and though it did remove the redness and soreness, it did nothing for the dryness, and i could go as far to say it actually made the dryness worse. Complete paradox, I know. I have tried this multiple times, each time hoping that maybe i need to give it more time to do it's "repairing", or wanting to find the right application method. I have tried applying it under a moisturiser, hoping that whilst this does the repairing, the moisturiser on top will combat the dryness. But to no avail. I have tried so many ways in an attempt to coerce my skin into loving it, hoping i can join the exclusive fan club, yet my skin will not surrender! I finally have to admit defeat and acknowledge that my skin does not love it.

On the plus side though - I do find it great as a spot treatment though and it helps prevent scarring from spots and the like.

Conclusion
I feel bad giving this one star - I generally love Avene and they have fantastic customer service - but people need to know that a product may have great reviews, and will work for everyone and their mother, but it may not work for you. I will not tell others to stay away from this cream, or claim that it will do nothing for your skin because of my experience, rather, i will say try it, if it works for you great, but if it doesn't don't be too disheartened.
Also please note that i have only used this product for flare ups, as many people usually do - and hence this review is a reflection of that, and this is not a review on it's usage as a general everyday moisturiser.

Lastly, my skin never really gets on with hyped/positively reviewed products, (rosehip oil, vitamin c serum, hydraluron....) and prefers much quieter, lesser known products from well known brands (avene cold cream, la roche posay intense nutric, avene cold cream lip balm, green people cream cleanser)..but i'll save that rant/post for another review.
Update: thanks to the reviewer above who highlighted that zinc oxide - one of its main ingredients - is drying on the skin. If you are looking at this for eczema treatment may work if yours is of wet/weeping type. If its of the drier kind may not work, as in my case and reviewer above.