Avene Cicalfate Creme Restauratrice

4.4

Ingredients: Water (Aqua), Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum), Glycerin, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil, Zinc Oxide, Propylene Glycol, Polyglyceryl-2-Sesquiisostearate, PEG-22/Dodecyl Glycol Copolymer, Aluminum Sucrose, Octasulfate, Aluminum Stearate, Beeswax (Cera Alba), Copper Sulfate, Magnesium Stearate, Magnesium Sulfate, Microcrystalline Wax (Cera Microcristallina), Zinc Sulfate.

As I have Rosacea I have had laser treatment every year or two for the past 20 years or so to keep it under control.
I always go the to the same practitioner- a very highly trained doctor who keeps up with the ltest developments, equipment and training. She has also become a friend.
Every treatment is pretty much the same. Some pain, a lot of redness which looks like sunburn but goes away in a day or so and a little light peeling in a couple of places. A gentle touch with skincare and makeup over the following week and all is well. There is always a follow up session in about 3 weeks to tidy up any little capillaries which need a touch up and the redness etc is repeated but for only a day or so.
Last time I had a treatment (2 and a half weeks ago now) during our usual catch up my friend and I shared some truly heartbreaking news and we were both very upset. I don't know if that was the reason things did not go the same way as usual this last time or whether with age my skin just doesn't bounce back like it did.
In short I had a very bad reaction to the treatment. My face was very swollen for about 3 days-I couldn't go out. The pain persisted for 3-4 days to the extent that I had to take pain relievers. The redness is still there but has broken up into spots and lumpy sections. I had 3 open sores which are nearly healed just now.
The purpose in recounting this story is that while I was crying with the pain and trying to figure out a way to relieve my poor tortured skin I came across an article on Avene products specifically formulated for post laser care.
I ordered my long suffering husband out of the house to the nearest retailer and he came back with Cicalfate Restorative Skin Cream. It turned out that wasn't the exact one formulated for laser treatments but that was what I got. As soon as I applied it ever so gently all over my throbbing red face it started to calm down. I kept applying it frequently and liberally over the next few days and the pain went away and things improved dramatically. Nothing else I had applied made the slightest bit of difference.
I am still using it on a couple of areas but sparingly. I do not anticipate that I will need it again until the next assault on my face either by laser or the elements (or some other ill advised experiment with a product from The Ordinary range).
It was extraordinarily inexpensive-under $20. So well worth purchasing.
I also tried their cleanser and moisturiser in their calming range and found them to be just average. Definitely calming but nothing wonderful. The cleanser particularly leaves a reside which I find unpleasant.
So if you are having or have had a laser skin procedure I would urge you to go to the Avene website and look up (properly-not hysterically and desperately like I did) their range specifically formulated for post laser care.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is a GREAT product and the only one I constantly repurchase. It might be my 15th tube or so- I always buy loads to make sure I have one with me wherever I am. My skin is oily and acne-prone, sometimes "stressed" and inflamed, when my hormonal balance is messed up. I can have clear skin for a while and then wake up covered in pimples. I always use this overnight when it happens, because it really repairs my skin. When I pick my skin (bad!), I clean my face and then apply this locally. It ensures my skin stays smooth and heals properly, and isn't stained with scars.

Whenever I have some dry spots due to treatments, or my nose feels sore and dry after I have a cold, or when I break out, I use this. I even use it as a mask when my skin feels dehydrated.

I broke out on my cheek yesterday, and it was a cystic, pretty painful pimple: I just used Cicalfate overnight, rubbed it in then applied more on top, and this morning it was flat and almost completely healed. I'm sure it will be gone by tomorrow. I can't live without this stuff. Of course don't apply it under makeup- it's VERY thick and greasy! I apply it before bedtime and during the day if I'm staying home. NOTHING beats it.

I kinda wish this came in a plastic tube though, because it can break and spill.

HG product! I start to panic a bit when I'm running low on this, so I have it sent automatically every 3 months. It's very rich, so I only use it at night, on damp skin, and I always mix it with a lighter lotion. If you try to rub it in straight like any other moisturizer, you're gonna have a bad time - it's too thick to spread evenly on dry skin.

This is the only thing I've tried so far that is guaranteed to keep my skin hydrated all day. I never get flakes anymore. It took me a long time to figure out that my skin was oily from dehydration! I also recommend this after you've done manual or chemical exfoliation.

Great at quickly healing cuts & redness

Skin: Very Oily, Deep Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

Overall it does what it says on the package.

Pros:

Post waxing or hair removal cream, it really helps soothe inflamed/swollen/reddened skin.

Also works great for opened acne...any acne where you have picked off the head or any pus filled acne which has burst open, this cream works great to heal those fast.

Works great on sunburned, reddened skin.

Works great for post shave cuts and scrapes.

Cons:

Does not work on below the skin acne or any acne which has just come a head (unopened).

Kind of thick and waxy and forms a film with a slight white tint on my dark skin.

Can make an oily face more sweaty so best used at night.

Skin: Very Dry, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Hair: Grey, Other, Other

I was offered a sample when this product 1st came out and had no desire to try until now. There was absolutely no irritation with this product. It is gentle but powerful! I really am happy

My experience was very similar to the reviewer below me. I have very dry skin with patches of eczema, so I bought this when the patches on my face started growing in size and becoming more red and blotchy, hoping this would help with the skin barrier damage and in turn make it more able to hold in moisture. Or at least to reduce redness.

It's a very thick but not greasy (at least not for my dry skin) cream and doesn't spread that easily. It's not very moisturising so unless you have oily skin I'd suggest using it with a moisturiser.

The first two or three times I applied this, it had actually worked well. The redness was gone and my skin looked much healthier. However after that it just went downhill. Now this stings my dry patches and only minimally reduces redness. It hasn't helped with repairing the skin barrier either, and now my eczema actually looks even worse. I tried using this above and below my moisturiser, as well as with cetaphil but it didn't help at all.

I was only using it on my face though, I've just switched to using it on my body and I'll update soon on whether it works on my body.

UPDATE: I realised why this cream did not work for me and the reviewer below. I had completely forgotten that zinc oxide dries the skin, so it helps wet eczema but worsens dry eczema. If you have rashes from sweating and humidity, this (or just any cream with zinc oxide) will likely help you. If you have desert-dry skin, probably not.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I love this product.
I mostly use it on my lips and it works perfectly.
It also helps a lot when I have dry patches.

But I think it is perfect for dry lips

I bought this cream to spot treat my eczema under my eyes and to treat my acne scars. So far it's helped tremendously healing the scars and helping the redness subside. However it doesn't do too much for the eczema. It decreases the swelling and the itchiness but doesn't do much to hydrate it, probably for the reason other people have mentioned below.

Conclusion:
If you are only looking to heal scars or help the redness go away, this will be your best friend. However, if you're looking for something more moisturizer to help with eczema, it will not help.

must have !