Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab Dee

No Image

Very intoxicating and deep. It's layered very well. Definitely androgynous. The leather, rosewood, tonka, and incense come out really nice. It's a mysterious scent. I like it! Dries to smell slightly powdery. Maybe that's the parchment in the description?
One of my favorites from BPAL.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I will admit, I got this because of the imagery it invoked of Rupert Giles or Wesley Wyndam-Price from Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Him, or any other intriguing, bookish and devilishly handsome man you can imagine... or maybe have the luck to personally know.

Imagery aside, the scent itself really is comforting, and sexy if you have a particular taste for it. I find it to a true blend of all the notes that are described: English leather, rosewood and tonka with a hint of incense, parchment and soft woods.

on 7/27/2010 8:15:00 PM

Ooooh...never a bad moment with this one! Loved from first whiff to final fade-out.

BPAL's description: John Dee: master of science, alchemy and magic, Hermetic philosopher in the schools of Rosicrucian Christian Mysticism and Platonic-Pythagorean doctrine, and Queen Elizabeth’s astrologer, advisor, cryptologist and spy. With Edward Kelly, he created a field of study and work in Angelic Evocation, and isolated the Angelic language: Enochian. His scent is soft English leather, rosewood and tonka with a hint of incense, parchment and soft woods.

My take:
I get mostly smooth cedar, with some root-beer-like sweetness (must be the tonka), and a bit of spicy smoke that is likely the incense. It's a soothing and subtle fragrance, but it's also strangely hot--as in sexy. (Must be the leather...) Androgynous, too--despite having that masculine description, I'd say man or woman (or angel) could wear this. *I* sure plan to.

on 3/6/2006 4:49:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Dee is supposedly a masculine scent, but I find the warm, deep, incensy blend to suit me just fine, and I'm no guy! :) Dee smells of wood, tonka bean, and elusive, mysterious incense. A comfortable, but not boring, scent. I wear it when I have lots of studying or work to do.

If you've ever sniffed Frapin 1270, Dee is his long lost cousin. They smell so similar to me, and I adore them both. Of course, BPALs version is much more affordable, and that's always exciting to me. Bravo, lab!!! Spices, and tonka, leather, and mystery is all what Dee's about.

Popular Fragrances