Bobbi Brown Buffing Grains For Face Adzuki Bean Powder

Filtered by skin type : Dry
Bobbi Brown Buffing Grains For Face Adzuki Bean Powder

3.7

Phaseolus angularis seed powder, hydrogenated soybean oil, jojoba esters, sodium lauryl sulfoacetate, sodium chloride, sodium sulfate, potassium sorbate, chlorphenesin

on 12/21/2013 1:40:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Like some other reviewers of this product, I also started out with a little sample packette of the Adzuki Buffing Grains. I have only used the product in combination with my facial cleanser, not on its own. I have used Kiehl's Extra Gentle cleanser, which is a milky, non foaming cleanser and added the grains, making a paste and softly exfoliated my face. The resulting paste is relatively smooth and I like the soft natural scent of the ground beans. It remotely reminds me of oats and I find this smell soothing. I did not find the particles sharp or rough. I have sensitive skin and I have experienced rosacea from time to time years ago and so I try to be gentle to my skin and avoid any irritation. On the other hand, obviously regular exfoliation is a necessary basis for my skin treatments that follow to have their maximum effect.
So far so good, I have used it for three weeks, once a week, and I have been experimenting a bit with the amount of grains I have used each time. I find that a dime size of the powdered grains poured into my palm and worked into a paste is sufficient to massage my whole face. Therefore, I agree with the reviewers who stated that they think that the price of one jar of this product is actually reasonable, given the fact that it should last for a year or longer. I also found that it takes a good amount of rinsing to remove any stray particles, but I didn't find this to be a real issue. My skin has been smooth after using the grains and I have not experienced any issues with redness or irritation. I have just today purchased a jar and will continue to use this product.

UPDATE 11/15: Incidentally I looked at the ingredients of this product and was surprised to see that the main ingredient is Polyethylene beads, not Adzuki beans. Multiple recent studies have shown how damaging these plastic beads are for the environment, so I took down my rating from 4 stars to 2 - this is still a pleasant exfoliant, but I will not repurchase.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I received a sample envelope in a swap. You only need a tiny amount of this when exfoliating each week. Prior to this I had an envelope of exfoliating sand grains from the skincare business I worked for which was absolutely perfect--the grains are fine enough so that they're not scratching the skin but have enough substance to gently exfoliate. The Bobbi Brown Buffing Grains would be fine just with the white sand grains. I think the larger brown pieces are why this product is too scratchy for the face on the skin. Use great caution when exfoliating--you don't want to scrub or rub your skin; the goal is to allow the cleanser/grains mixture glide over the skin. Scrub too hard and you might risk extra sensitivity.

EDIT: I don't know why I gave it a 3. I'm giving it a 2. Just used the Laura Mercier Face Polish and it's super gentle and will not scratch the skin.

on 9/19/2008 2:28:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

I just got a sample of this product and I love it!!! My face has never been so silky smooth! As stated on the package, you only need a VERY small amount so even though I've used it twice, I still have about 2 or 3 more uses left in the little envelope. So even though the full size is kind of expensive (i think its $40 USD), it must last for about a year or so. I will definately be buying this one in full size! Highly recommend this one!

on 3/28/2008 8:39:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I had 6 sample packets of this and I used them all.I rate this with 5 lipies but I m not buying this product again bc I have oily skin and I tend to like strongers more deep cleaning,clarifying formulas that unclogs pores so I can prevent blemishes.Otherwise this is a quite good scrub and the fact that comes in the form of loose powder allows you to use this scrub either with the regular way or you can add it in you cleanser for a soft gentle result.Comes in a glass bottle .Smoothes,removes dry surface patches,renews,leaves face soft, smooth and glowing.AGAIN NOT THE BEST SCRUB FOR OILY-ACNE PRONE SKINS.Meaning I didn t have problems with this scrub but It didn t help me either

I absolutely love this product! It's the best exfoliant I've ever used. It's great because I can add as little or as much as I want to my cleanser (Dior Rinse-Off Cleansing Foam), for my desired exfoliant effect. It really helps get off the dead skin, and the japanese adzuki bean powder helps increase skin cell turnover rate. The only thing I think Bobbi needs to improve on is the packaging quality. It's in a glass jar, which I'm always afraid I'm going to drop and break, and I don't like traveling with it. Also, I keep mine in the shower, but with the lid on as tight as I can get it. If any water seeps in, the grains become clumpy and it's harder to get the product out.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I got a sample of this product with an online order. It is an ok scrub product with no scent that I noticed, but might be too rough for someone with sensitive skin, and it seems like it would definitely irritate any blemishes. I mixed it with Cetaphil, and it did add a bit of exfoliating oomph to the Cetaphil, which was an interesting experiment that I enjoyed. I didn't have any difficulty in washing away all the grains when I was done exfoliating. You might be able to control the degree of exfoliation by adding more or less of the product. The only thing I really like about this is how you can add it to whatever cleanser you desire in whatever amount you desire. Otherwise, it seems like an overpriced waste of money. Surely you could find something similar to add to the cleanser of your choice that wouldn't come with a $40 price tag for .99oz of product. If I had shelled out that kind of money to try this product, I might be tempted to try harder to be really excited about it, just so I wouldn't feel like I wasted so much money. As it is, I'm lucky I got a sample, and I wouldn't purchase the full size product.

on 3/13/2007 9:34:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

While these grains are great at gentle exfoliation, I find them somewhat annoying to use. It took me forever to figure out that I should put the face wash in my hand FIRST before trying to put the grains in my hand (otherwise the grains fall out of your hand while you're opening the face wash, etc.). Also, the grains are difficult to wash completely off of your face and out of your hair. UPDATE: I found the best cleanser to use this with is Burt's Bee's Orange Essence Facial Cleanser. It's oil-based, so you get more exfoliating action, and the beads stay where you put them.

on 2/17/2007 11:13:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

The reason I decided to purchase this product is because I'm breastfeeding which means I can't use the aspirin mask.Since I wasn't ready to try new products that might break my skin out, I decided to try this one because it only contains grains that you add to your own product or just water. I actually really like this. I like everything about it. The glass bottle is pretty and you get alot of product. Although it is rather expensive, it will last a long time.

What I also like is that my face felt very smooth afterwards and I knew it was because the grains had actually taken off dead skin versus a scrub that is cream or oil based which leaves a film on your skin which can make it appear smoother.

I will update after a month of repeated use.

Update: this has the potential to really scratch your skin so use very carefully. Also, I have found similar results just using a baby washcloth to exfoliate everyday.

on 1/5/2007 4:55:00 PM

I have used this for almost a year in combination with BB Extra Balm Rinse. I use it every 8 days, and mix a small amount of the grains in with the Balm Rinse, which makes for a very luxurious scrub! My skin is so soft and radiant after using this combo-- there is a noticeable difference when I go to put my makeup on! I took off one lippie for the packaging, price, and mess factor-- it spills a little no matter what you do (probably just the virtue of it being little grains, and me being picky/neat freakish), the glass bottle makes me nervous in a bathroom, and it is quite expensive for what it is. Yet, it works very well, so I will suck up the minor flaws to have smoother, glowing skin!

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I hesitated at first, but being a shopaholic, I bought it and I'm glad I did. It's not as grainy as some others, but it got the job done. The only problem I have is that when I mixed it in with my Lathering Tube Soap, I found that some of the grains "dissolved" or something when I'm massaging my face with it, I found myself adding more of the grains to my already lathered up hands and face.