Bobbi Brown Buffing Grains For Face Adzuki Bean Powder

Bobbi Brown Buffing Grains For Face Adzuki Bean Powder

3.7

Phaseolus angularis seed powder, hydrogenated soybean oil, jojoba esters, sodium lauryl sulfoacetate, sodium chloride, sodium sulfate, potassium sorbate, chlorphenesin

on 5/17/2015 7:14:00 PM

I would just like to point out ConradZimmerman that the number 1 ingredient is indeed Polyethylene and most of the other ingredients are also synthetic.... what do you know, over priced and killing the environment. Wonder what it does to our health? ....But I think we already know that:(

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I got a sample of this product with an online order. It is an ok scrub product with no scent that I noticed, but might be too rough for someone with sensitive skin, and it seems like it would definitely irritate any blemishes. I mixed it with Cetaphil, and it did add a bit of exfoliating oomph to the Cetaphil, which was an interesting experiment that I enjoyed. I didn't have any difficulty in washing away all the grains when I was done exfoliating. You might be able to control the degree of exfoliation by adding more or less of the product. The only thing I really like about this is how you can add it to whatever cleanser you desire in whatever amount you desire. Otherwise, it seems like an overpriced waste of money. Surely you could find something similar to add to the cleanser of your choice that wouldn't come with a $40 price tag for .99oz of product. If I had shelled out that kind of money to try this product, I might be tempted to try harder to be really excited about it, just so I wouldn't feel like I wasted so much money. As it is, I'm lucky I got a sample, and I wouldn't purchase the full size product.

on 4/13/2007 12:35:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I think this is too harsh, too expensive, the packaging sucks. I tried to give this a second chance yesterday only to find out it smelled horrible maybe some fungus grew, ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.
Status: the most expensive and useless of all scrubs I've tried.

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm

You'd be better off taking and slightly dissolving an Aspirin, and mixing it with your cleanser. Those grains are very abrasive for the (facial)skin, and hard to rinse out. Even after rinsing, and toning, I STILL find stray grains on my face. Please save your money!! I wish I did!!!

UPDATE:
I have since gone to Whole Foods Market and bought a pound for $1.49. I put it in a blender and got it as fine of consistency as I could. I then laced a colander with twice-folded cheese cloth and then pour the powder from the blender on to the cheesecloth, and then patted over it gently and the finest powder is sifted! i got mine nearly to the consistency of baby powder!!

on 5/29/2006 1:19:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Did not like this at all. Large grained and very sharp feeling. I think this could scratch your face quite badly unless you were very careful. Perhaps it is better mixed with a water based cleanser. I used them with my oil cleanser and they were much too rough. I have since tried good old chickpea flour and that works wonderfully.

on 12/21/2013 1:40:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Like some other reviewers of this product, I also started out with a little sample packette of the Adzuki Buffing Grains. I have only used the product in combination with my facial cleanser, not on its own. I have used Kiehl's Extra Gentle cleanser, which is a milky, non foaming cleanser and added the grains, making a paste and softly exfoliated my face. The resulting paste is relatively smooth and I like the soft natural scent of the ground beans. It remotely reminds me of oats and I find this smell soothing. I did not find the particles sharp or rough. I have sensitive skin and I have experienced rosacea from time to time years ago and so I try to be gentle to my skin and avoid any irritation. On the other hand, obviously regular exfoliation is a necessary basis for my skin treatments that follow to have their maximum effect.
So far so good, I have used it for three weeks, once a week, and I have been experimenting a bit with the amount of grains I have used each time. I find that a dime size of the powdered grains poured into my palm and worked into a paste is sufficient to massage my whole face. Therefore, I agree with the reviewers who stated that they think that the price of one jar of this product is actually reasonable, given the fact that it should last for a year or longer. I also found that it takes a good amount of rinsing to remove any stray particles, but I didn't find this to be a real issue. My skin has been smooth after using the grains and I have not experienced any issues with redness or irritation. I have just today purchased a jar and will continue to use this product.

UPDATE 11/15: Incidentally I looked at the ingredients of this product and was surprised to see that the main ingredient is Polyethylene beads, not Adzuki beans. Multiple recent studies have shown how damaging these plastic beads are for the environment, so I took down my rating from 4 stars to 2 - this is still a pleasant exfoliant, but I will not repurchase.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Not good for sensitive skin at all. I've tried using it with water making a paste, in my cleanser, etc, but the grains are just too harsh for my skin. After I use it, my skin is left with a painful stinging sensation, so I have stopped using it because it's too rough for me.

The lip of the jar is also fairy wide, so the grains can get a little messy pouring out.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I received a sample envelope in a swap. You only need a tiny amount of this when exfoliating each week. Prior to this I had an envelope of exfoliating sand grains from the skincare business I worked for which was absolutely perfect--the grains are fine enough so that they're not scratching the skin but have enough substance to gently exfoliate. The Bobbi Brown Buffing Grains would be fine just with the white sand grains. I think the larger brown pieces are why this product is too scratchy for the face on the skin. Use great caution when exfoliating--you don't want to scrub or rub your skin; the goal is to allow the cleanser/grains mixture glide over the skin. Scrub too hard and you might risk extra sensitivity.

EDIT: I don't know why I gave it a 3. I'm giving it a 2. Just used the Laura Mercier Face Polish and it's super gentle and will not scratch the skin.

on 11/5/2007 10:47:00 AM

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

As many others have said, this is definitely not something someone w/sensitive skin could use daily, but I mix with a cream cleanser once a week for a good exfoliation. However......$40 for an ounce?! WHY??? I've been getting the same thing at The Soap Opera for eons and it's $3.95 for 2 ounces. There you can get different sizes too.. I actually get the 8 ounce bottle for $11.95 and it's the same freakin thing as Bobbi Brown's!! I love Bobbi Brown's cosmetics but this is a total rip off. That's why I only gave it two stars. The product is fine but the price is highway robbery. Go to thesoapopera.com and search "Japanese Cleansing Grains" if you like this product but hate the price tag. The Soap Opera is an awesome store!

on 10/12/2006 12:16:00 AM

Alright this isn't exactly a review, but does no one recall the identical product The Body Shop had in the 1990s, 'Japanese Washing Grains' consisting of Azuki/Adzuki beans? A similarly sized albeit unnattractive container, was roughly $8 CDN not nearly $50.....