Blue Waltz

3.6

Price: $

Price: $

on 8/17/2017 11:32:00 AM

Growing up in the 1970s, I heard about this fragrance from my parents. They remembered it from the forties and fifties, and it was a joke--dime store perfume that supposedly smelled awful. Even though my family was working class, the women in it would have gone without perfume rather than wear something like this. I later learned that my parents' story of Blue Waltz was not unusual, but was shared by a lot of Americans.
I'm a historian, and I want to know what people used to enjoy tasting, feeling, and smelling. I've also developed a fairly adventurous taste in fragrance. So when I found this bottle of Blue Waltz at the little retro 'dime store' in Fredericksburg, I got it. If nothing else, the bottle was pretty, and I would finally find out what that 'awful' perfume smelled like! I didn't imagine I'd ever actually wear it.
And then I smelled it. I expected some kind of well-behaved Victorian floral, but I was wrong. Blue Waltz is a lush, spicy, powdery fragrance. The powder aspect reminds me somewhat of my beloved Bourjois blushes and face powders. It contains treemoss, making it (to me) a long-lost relative of Tabu. If I put it on my wrists, it lasts a couple of hours before fading to a whisper.
I wouldn't wear this every day. It's not girly, flirty, or 'your skin but better.' It's a perfume with a past, and it could be off-putting to other people. But sometimes, when I'm craving something different, Blue Waltz is just right.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

This is so evocative for me. About a year and a half ago I had to be hospitalized for 2 weeks. when I came home I had no interest in my perfumes, I felt sick at just the thought of smelling any of my umpteen scents(the lovely meds made me nauseous) It was more than a month before I felt like myself after a change of meds and some time. The first perfume I dug out happened to be Blue Waltz. I put it on and was transported to a happy place- to me that is being young again riding the carousel at my local amusement park. I sniffed my wrist all day. It comes across as powdery vanilla with a hint of cola sweetness in the opening. Then I promptly forgot about it until today. I have just gotten over a nasty cold and lost my sense of smell for a week. Now I appreciate my scents even more. Today was cold and a little windy here in Northern New England and Blue Waltz was the perfect foil. It's so warm and cozy; but I'd have no problem wearing this in warmer weather as well. At $3.99 for a bottle on ebay you can't go wrong if you're a lover of sweet, powdery vanilla scents. If nothing else you'll have a beautiful bottle...

on 2/18/2006 6:23:00 PM

I've been curious about so many of these retro fragrances. After a good experience with Evening in Paris, I decided to try out several retro scents, among them: Blue Waltz. This is probably the most inexpensive of all of the retro scents. The package is cute, very nostalgic with the little heart shaped bottle and pale blue cap. The cap looks like old celuloid jewelry, and is shaped like a rosebud. I would say that this smells about like what you would expect. Like a five and dime perfume from the fifties, like strange old things that sat in glass bottles at your grandmother's house. I suppose this would be a powdery floriental, slightly spicy/creamy at the drydown. Upon opening the bottle this is all cologne. Actually it reminds me of lots of things, Chaps cologne, Avon ladies, white gloves and pearls. Most of these things come from movies, so it's funny that this smell references them so well. But to me, it simply registers as something a very very old woman might wear to scent her comfy lacey knickers. After a while the scent is a lot more tolerable, but still a little too strong and powder sweet for my taste. Honestly, it's an interesting scent like Kewra water, creamy vanilla, spice, tonka, white florals, and spun sugar. Fans of sugary fragrances might not find this too bad. I can't say that I hate it, but I'd be careful about splashing it on.
Then, like the past it conjures up, it fades to a vague bright memory. continued >>

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I bought this fragrance to round out an order for free shipping. I am pleasantly surprised, but not astounded--not that I'd expect to be with a fragrance that costs less than $3. The previous reviewer describes the scent very accurately, I think. It's a bit sweeter than what I'd typically wear, but the nostalgic value is so tempting. This is something I probably would have loved as a young teen. Though some might consider this "mature," Coco was my signature fragrance at that age, so I think that a certain kind of girl could pull it off. Regardless, if you like sweet and spicy fragrances, try it--it's so inexpensive, and I'm glad I did.

on 7/25/2007 4:14:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

Not as bad as I'd been led to expect by many reviews. It is soft, very sweet and very powdery and reminds me of being eight years old and playing grown up. It smells like that to me. There were perfumes marketed for little girls back then and this is a dead ringer for most of them. It is also nearly a dead ringer for Love's Baby Soft, which I don't much like, but all the elements are there, sweet, powdery vanilla-y... This would be great for your little niece to play with if she's past the age of trying to drink perfume.

Popular Fragrances