SHISEIDO Majolica Majorca Lash Expander

SHISEIDO Majolica Majorca Lash Expander
Majolica Majorca Lash Expander

4.3

11-12 Isoparaffin, Dextrin Palmitate, Cyclomethicone, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, CI 77449, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Sucrose Tetrastearate Triacetate, Microcrystalline Wax, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Butylene Glycol, Water, Sucrose Tetrastearate, PEG-20 Hydrogenated Castor Oil Triisostearate, Phenyl Trimethicone, Dextrin Palmitate/Ethylhexanoate, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Trimethylsiloxysilylcarbamoyl Pullulan, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Tocopheryl Acetate, Macadamia Ternifolia Seed Oil, Tocopherol.

on 1/17/2009 3:32:00 AM

I'm reading through some of the negative reviews on here, and I wonder if those reviewers know HOW this mascara is supposed to be used. I got this from Japan and you're supposed to use it AFTER you apply on your regular mascara. The user is supposed to apply it at the tips of the lashes, brushing it outwards multiple times until a desired length is accomplished. It's a lengthener; you're not supposed to use it alone on your bare lashes. I know this because I read various Japanese beauty/fashion magazines and a lot of them feature this mascara.

Now onto the review, I would definitely purchase this again. It is in the same category as the Fiberwig mascaras and Givenchy Phenomenon Eyes mascaras, where the liquid is rubbery and you brush and brush until you get the length you like. Except for this mascara, it's supposed to be used only at the tips after you apply your regular mascara.

on 11/30/2009 12:41:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

This product is supposed to one of the most popular mascaras in Japan right now. Being half Japanese myself and having an obsession with makeup.. I decided I must grab my own.

Majolica Majorca is known for its attractive looking cosmetics and they have always caught my eye. I oredered this product from ebay from another country, for $20 AUD including postage. Excellent deal, I pay the same amount for a mascara in the stores here..

I instantly fell in love with the packaging, it comes in a cute rectangular plastic box with gold decorations. The Japanese are excellent when it comes to presentation. The tube itself is the most prettiest thing I've ever seen. It is rather small for a tube but just looks gorgeous. It is black and gold with a spider web type pattern along with fancy letters spelling out 'Majolica Majorca Lash Expander Frame Plus' as well as a pretty gold emblem for Majolica Majorca on the top of the tube.

As for the content of the product itself, the brush is quite unique featuring two sides, a straight side and a curved side. The straight side is used first to apply the product on your lashes and the curved side is used for combing your lashes, removing any clumps, for lengthening and applying the nice finishing touches.

The formula contains fibres and they look like very fine small short black shreds, they stick onto the brush and looks fairly weird and at first I doubted if I was able to apply it without it being messy. To my surprised it worked out fine. I noticed the fibres would often stick to the tip of my lashes and gave the effect of long eyelashes, I'm really loving how that works.

I belive that this works quite effectively and I like the finished result. It gives me nice, very defined and long lashes. People complain about the lack of volume with this mascara. The mascara is called Lash Expander and to me that gives the idea of length not volume. I'm pretty sure its a lengthening mascara. Majolica Majolica has another mascara that provides volume, the Lash Enamel Glamour Mascara. I look for length in mascaras so this one is perfect for me. If you want volume and length, I think you could possibly try applying both mascaras on top of each other.

The mascara stays on my lashes all day without flaking and it does not smudge at all. It is a very black colour and darkens your lashes quite considerably and I really really like how dark it makes my lashes look. This mascara also does not clump at all, well it does on first application but then that's why they have the comb side. After using the comb I have lovely clump free lashes. If you curl your lashes it also holds your curl exceptionally well.

Another thing I noticed, this mascara does not make my lashes extremely stiff and hard. It feels alot softer compared to other mascaras I tried. It's not super soft of course, it's still mascara but in comparison to other mascaras it feels quite nice on the lashes.

I would give this 4.5/5 rating however it does not allow me to do so. What prevents me from giving this product a 5/5 rating is the fact that it is really difficult to remove. It is not impossible to remove, it just takes alot of time and care to remove it properly. You need to use a good eye makeup remover and work carefully to remove the mascara, if your not careful you could end up losing lashes.

It usually takes me a little bit of eye makeup remover on one cotton ball to remove my eye makeup, with Lash Expander I need two cotton balls soaked in makeup remover.

I don't find this too bothersome, just means you need to use more care when removing it. On the plus side you know it isn't going to wear off throughout the day and water and sweat most likely won't make your mascara smudge much. Because it is hard to remove... if you get mascara on your lids when applying it.. you need to use your finger immediately to rub it off because if you leave it too long you won't be able to remove it without makeup remover.

The brush is shaped nicely to fit asian eyes so I rarely have a problem with getting it on my eyelids and the brush is suited to get all your lashes and is easy to control so you shouldn't have a common problem with painting your lids.

Overall I thought this was an excellent product, although hard to remove and I do believe it is one of the best mascaras I have ever tried along with Maybelline's Full N Soft Mascara. So it's definitely a favourite and I will continue to buy it when the tube runs out. This is an excellent mascara for definition and lengthening and it holds curl really well. Definitely recommended! Plus it has very pretty packaging. If you want volume, go for the other Majolica Majorca mascara.

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

Can be a great mascara, but you need to put some work in!

-Clean and defined application, provided you're skilled at using the applicator (not me!)
-Takes time getting used to the applicator, which looks like a small and thin flat comb in a crescent shape
-Thin flat applicator works for hard-to-reach lashes
-Wet formula, takes a while to dry and tends to glob on, but if you will take the time to separate lashes and distribute the product, it can look GOOD!
-I'm no good at using the applicator, so I tend to glob it on and then use a spoolie to brush off excess product, which distributes the mascara evenly and nicely and creates definition
-Nice dark black pigment
-Wears well, looks as good as a fresh application at the end of a long day
-No flaking off
-Easy clean up with a q-tip if you get any on your skin
-Fibre-based formula which sticks to the very fine tips of lashes to give lengthening effect
-Unfortunately uncurls my stick straight Asian lashes. Lashes need to be EXTRA curled with an eyelash curler before applying this, to account for its uncurling properties (I fail to understand why there are all these reviews raving about how it holds curls very well. It doesn't.

To make this product work for me, I need to:
-over-curl my lashes so much that it almost touches my eyelids
-apply Shiseido Nourishing Mascara Base (the best primer I have encountered for holding eyelash curls)
-quickly brush through the lashes with a spoolie to for a clean primer base
-allow the base to dry thoroughly (this is a good time to do bottom lashes)
-apply Majolica Majorca Lash Expander. It can even uncurl Shiseido Mascara base, which is why I recommend over-curling your lashes before applying the base. Lash Expander doesn't dry very quickly, which is OK though, because it gives me time to:
-brush through the mascara with a spoolie to separate lashes for a clean application

Shame about the uncurling, but overall I would repurchase. The application can lengthen and darken eyelashes with a clean, defined and glossy look, if you're willing to spend the extra few minutes with a spoolie to work the product through the lashes. I'm not sure how the applicator could be improved, but it would be nice not having to use a spoolie.

If you just want a mascara that is quick and easy to apply, this is probably not for you.

I just got this mascara after looking at a ton of reviews on beauty blogs, and oh my god, this stuff is insanely awesome. It's one of my favorite mascaras, and the price is amazing.

1) Holds curls like woah. With my stick straight Asian lashes, I thought for years that buying mascara was all but useless--I've bought so many mascaras at so many different prices that simply never held the curl--they would always weigh down my lashes and make them all gross and clumpy, but never actually make them look nice and feathery. For Asian eyes, I think this is the most important quality a mascara should have, as there is no point if you have thick, voluminous lashes that no one can actually see because they are stick straight, sometimes even pointing down.

2) Lasts forever, through almost anything. I really don't get why people are complaining about this. Waterproof mascaras are mostly oil, silicon, and wax based, so you need an oily substance to remove it. My suggestion is to get a good, oil-based makeup remover and soak a cotton ball in it. Then, place it on your lashes for a little bit--there's no point in roughly rubbing your lashes with the cotton ball immediatly. Just let the solution soak through and gently rub it after a minute or so of soaking.

3) It's very flexible--use it alone for really long, separated lashes or use it on the tips of your lashes after a voluminizing mascara to enhance the first one.

4) Makes bottom lashes POP. So much better than any other lengthening mascara I've tried.

5) Reasonably priced. Not a $27 mascara like Givenchey, Dior or YSL. A couple bucks more than drugstore. Worth every penny.

6) I think the applicator is nice. I really don't use the blunter side with less teeth to put on the mascara, as I think the side with more teeth is sufficient. Takes getting used to, but you get so much more precision compared to normal, huge spoolies.

Phew. Glad I got all that out. Ignore the negative reviews--just take your time taking this stuff off and buy a nicer, OIL-BASED makeup remover with the money you saved from not buying a high-end, $30 mascara.

to keep it short :

this mascara is my HG !!!

she lengthens, adds volume, seperates (with the comb ), some kinda vinyl - black- shiny.

like NO OTHER mascara.

already tried
Diorshow
Definicils
Lash Injection
Hypnose
All L´oreal
All Maybelline ...

no mascara gave me that look and that power to hold my "Shu Uemura´s Eyelash Curler - Curl" exactly after i curled my lashes.

IT-IS-SCARY
i washed my face a million time and my lashes have been still curled. u can put on lash expander one time for the whole week if you´d like to ..

she´s a BITCH to come off. you have to know that.

don´t even try anything else as vaseline. i know what i´m talking about.

i know it´s greasy, ugly .. just uggh .. to rub it off with vaseline but it´s WORTH WORTH WORTH to buy it.

if you don´t have any access to buy it in japan, here´s a online store with EVERY brand :

on 9/18/2013 12:43:00 PM

This is the review for the Lash Expander Edge Meister. This is my first foray into Majolica Majorca mascaras. I have thin, short, sparse, straight asian lashes.

It has a plastic paddle type applicator. One side is flat, and the other side is curved. There are grooves on both side to apply the mascara. Its definitely a bit tricky to use this applicator if you're used to a regular bristle brush, or even the ones with plastic bristles. I find it a bit tricky to apply especially to the corner lashes. It can clump somes lashes together, so it takes a bit of time to brush out the lashes and to get the fibers where you want them. I definitely find the fibers are long and so it can be quite lengthening. It also holds a curl all day long and is waterproof and smudgeproof. It isn't very volumizing but you can layer on another volumizing mascara after this has dried.

I got this off ebay for 16$ which to me is a reasonable price. Packaging is nice. I particularly like the cap which has a little engraved gold decoration.

The one con about this is that it flakes. I will see the odd fiber on my cheek during the day every so often which I didn't notice with my Kiss Me Heroine Make Long and Curl mascara (which I also recommend).

I don't have trouble removing this mascara as others have expressed. Currently I'm using a Shu Uemura cleansing oil and it comes right off. I apply it with a mascara remover so that it really gets between the lashes. You can make your own mascara remover by taking an old tube of mascara and cleaning it out and filing it up with an oil cleanser.

on 8/17/2013 4:35:00 PM

This is the best mascara for short lashes that just don't want to hold a curl. I've been using this mascara for as long as I can remember (more than 10 years I believe). I buy so many mascaras on a regular basis, but I always go back to this one because nothing else is comparable. I must have repurchased dozens of these. I've also recommended this mascara to my friends, who have also loved it as much as I have.

The mascara wand is a comb-like brush, so it really coats each of my lashes completely. It lengthens them with tiny little fibers, but doesn't do much in terms of volume. If you try to layer it too much, it can become quite clumpy. I usually apply at most 2 layers. I have also found that the tiny fibers sometimes come off and get stuck in my eye or on my face. It is a fairly dry formula, which means that it doesn't weigh down my lashes and they stay curled all day. It is very waterproof (I've showered with this mascara on and it doesn't budge), so make sure you have a good waterproof makeup remover. .

Finally, the price. Unless you live in Asia, this mascara is going to be very expensive. I buy a ton of these every time I go to Hong Kong, and I believe they're about $15 usd there, which is pretty reasonable for a higher end mascara. There are tons of sellers online, but I really wouldn't trust them unless you're buying from a retailer.

on 2/19/2009 11:36:00 PM

I usually have a bias towards higher end products but with mascara, I believe when you find the right one, price isn't as big a determining quality factor (unlike foundations and powders). After all, mascara should be thrown out every 3 months so I would prefer if my mascara didn't cost a bomb.

Majolica Majorca is hands down, the BEST mascara I've ever used for my straight, sparse, short (alliteration, anyone?) eyelashes. I've tried other Japanese mascaras (Canmake - too drying and clumping, Dejavu Fiberwig - unspectacular results), American mascaras (L'oreal and Maybelline doing squat), European Mascaras (YSL Fauxcils - too big a brush and heavily fragranced, Bourjois Pump up the volume - good but not spectacular results).

Majorlica Mascara is somehow waterproof but doesn't dry out and make your lashes all clumpy. They still feel soft and look fairly glossy (some people may not like this). The fibers in this product means I get unbelievably long lashes! Used with my Shu Uemura curler, I can actually see my lashes when I look straight into the mirror (they usually just point slightly downward). This mascara also holds a curl very well with no drooping throughout the day. But a waterprood mascara means you have to use a proper oil-based eye makeup remover. I use Shu Uemura's cleansing oil and it works like a charm! :)

This is a comb wand, rather than a brush wand. Some people have problems with comb wands but I personally prefer a comb than a brush wand. It somehow works better on me. I feel I get more length AND volume whenever I use a comb brush (hence why I prefer this over the black Neo version of this mascara).

Lastly, this is cheap at about RM40 (can't remember, which is about £8, or US$10)! Like I said, hands down, the best mascara I've used thus far!

on 9/6/2015 10:33:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

My new love for Japanese mascaras is because of Majolica Majorca Lash Expander Edge Meister! The brush is a dual sided comb with one curved side which is ideal for combing through even the shortest of eyelashes. The formula is a mousse-like texture with tiny feathery fibers in it. This mascara lengthens my short, stubby straight Asian eyelashes in one coat! After two coats of this mascara, my lashes become similar to the effect of natural looking falsies applied on me. My curl stays all day after using the Shiseido eyelash curler and there is minimum to no smudging on my lower lashes even in hot weather. However sometimes there maybe one little black fiber that lands somewhere on my cheek , but that can be easily fixed if you don't overload the brush with product. Also it is more difficult to remove compared to ordinary drugstore waterproof mascara. I usually have to swipe my eye twice with a cotton round soaked with Neutrogena oil free eye makeup remover. Just be patient and gentle with removing this mascara from your lashes. Overall , this is the best mascara I've used hands down and it's about 10-12 USD from Amazon. If you're tired of looking for a good waterproof mascara from the drugstore, but don't want to commit to spending over $20 for a high end mascara, try Majolica Majorca Edge Meister! And I would repurchase this as it's my HG mascara.

Pros:
- Dual sided brush effectively combs to separate each lash
- Creates long, fluttery lashes with some volume
- Comb brush reaches most lashes, even the tiny lashes of the inner and outer corners
- Can be layered
- Fibers in formula lengthen lashes
- Pigmented black color
- Attractive packaging and design, also compact and tiny
- Reasonably priced (can be found on Amazon)
- Waterproof

Cons:
- Doesn't hold a curl really well, drooping happened 6+ hours later
- Black fibers can get stuck onto the face
- Very difficult remove compared to other waterproof mascaras
- Brush gets clumped with product easily due to fibers
- Usually has to be ordered online

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I love this mascara! My lashes are like my hair -- fine, thin, blonde, can't hold a curl -- so I tend to have to go for the crazy, make-your-lashes-look-fake mascaras to look even halfway decent. I heard that this mascara was so intense that it was too much for an everyday look, so I thought it would do nicely.

I bought my mascara from Amazon for $15 and it arrived in a week or so. I really like the packaging -- simple, but cute. I immediately curled my lashes and tried it. The brush is more like a comb -- hard plastic, curved on one edge and straight on the other. I'm sure the instructions specified which order to use these in, but as I don't read Japanese, I tried it both ways and ultimately decided I like to use the longer curved edge initially and the shorter straight edge second.

The formula was initially rather watery, but it has since dried up. I love the fact that the fibers are inside the mascara rather than included as a second step. It does take a bit more time and care to comb through your lashes and make sure the fibers are lined up / non-clumpy, but as long as I'm careful, I haven't had a problem with clumping. And my eyelashes get so impressive! Because of the aforementioned short/blonde/non-curly eyelashes I have, they don't look like fake eyelashes on me (I did, however, try this on my extremely patient boyfriend [who has super long amazing eyelashes that I'm definitely not jealous of] and they ABSOLUTELY looked like fake eyelashes in the best way). But they look good on me! In fact, if I'm doing a low-makeup look, I usually use this mascara without curling my lashes -- you can tell there's mascara, but it doesn't look out of place even without eyeliner. And it STAYS ON. Seriously, not the tiniest little flake or smudge, and I'm awful about touching my eyes. I've worn this through sweat and humidity and rainstorms, and it does not budge.

Removal is about the same as any other waterproof mascara -- a pain, but doable. I first use a cleansing oil, usually baby oil or apricot oil, to get off as much as I can. Then, I wash my face with La Roche-Posay DermoCleanser, which, despite being the gentlest cleanser I've ever used and usually doing nothing for eye makeup, seems to get off more of the mascara than the oil. When I wear this, I just accept that it will take maybe 24 hours to completely remove. I just keep a cotton round nearby to remove whatever smudges under my eyes as I cleanse and apply moisturizers, etc.

Overall: HIGHLY recommend. I'm the kind of person who can barely tell the difference between drugstore and high-end mascaras, and this is easily and by far the best I've ever used.