Bobbi Brown Long Wear Gel Eyeliner in Black Ink

Long Wear Gel Eyeliner in Black Ink

4.2

on 3/25/2009 10:04:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Other, Not Sure

So ladies I have a really good way of preventing these gel based liners from drying out on you, place your gel liner upside down all the time, this brings the water/moisture from the bottom to go through the formula. I do this with all my gel based liners and they last forever..

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

This is my HG liner! I love gel/cream liners. I need a liner that is longlasting ,smudgeproof (because i rub my eys a lot) and waterproof. This is by far, the best performer of the bunch. Here's a rundown of the BB gel liner compared to the other black liners I have tried.

BB vs MAC Blacktrack: I really wanted to love the MAC blacktrack but it just didnt seem to work on me. It would flake off within hours. I tried it with my UDPP and still the same result. Tried it with my MAC 210 brush, BB liner brush and sephora angled brush, still nothing. I also have the MAC fluidliner in Waveline and that flakes off too so I think it has something to do with the formula? My coworker swears by MAC though so I really think it has to do with your own chemical makeup.

BB vs L'oreal HIP cream liner: The HIP liners are really color-rich but the pot does dry up rather quickly and they're not as easy to apply as the BB and MAC ones. Great for a drugstore purchase but for $10 you might as well add a bit more for better consistency.

BB vs Stila Smudge pots: I tried the stila from my friend's stash but even she stopped using it. It's thicker and more gooey (if that makes sense) so I felt i got it everywhere BUT my lashline.

Hope this helps!

on 7/10/2015 10:05:00 PM

this gel eye liner was a great disappointment. If you have oily lids don't even bother with this product. I used this product on my bottom waterline and it melts off and leaves me with raccoon eyes. I tried every trick to make it stay (concealer, eye primer eye shadows) but it did not work. I then tried it on my lids to see if it only sucks on the waterline but no it smudges as well. I tired a winged eye and like in 4 hrs it was just a smudge mess. I'm sure this product works well with non oily skin but oily skin beware not a good product.

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

after a love-hate relationship with this product, i have finally come to love it a whole lot. i found it hard to use at first because i was a bit rubbish at the application. you can't layer this liner over itself once it's dry like MAC's fluidline. you can add blackness to the line but you can't re-shape it if that makes sense. anyway, after a tiny con - this liner is amazing. it is PITCH black (blacker than MAC) and is just beautiful. application is very very smooth, and mine is over a year old and is holding up well. if you think of a matte liquid liner that looks a hundred times smoother and stays on incredibly well. MAC's fluidline is lovely too, and is a bit more spreadable during application, but it is not as black and is not as long-lasting on the waterline. MAC's colour allows you to put a lot more on and blend it in with your whole eye make-up, whereas BB is more of a basic black liner. this is more of an 'inky' black as the name rightly suggests. i use this with the BB 'ultra fine' brush, which i love, and has lasted me well. i wash it after every use, and whilst using it, i cover it in liner and flatten both sides out on the edge of the liner jar to get rid of excess and get the brush into a stiff shape. i have also found that the blackness of this liner is intensified with Too faced shadow insurance, but that is a whole different kettle of reviews.
packaging: BEWARE of the lid loosening on its own in your make-up bag. screw it on tightly before chucking it back into its hiding place. i'm also unsure whether or not i like the frosted glass on my jar.
bottom 'line', incredible liner!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Single-eyelid ladies: BEWARE this product!!
I was quite disappointed with this product. I bought it with the expectation that when I teared (e.g. after yawning), this wouldn't come off, but it does - more so than the MAC eyeliner pencils, which don't claim to be long-wear. Do note that I'm a single-lidded Asian, so if you have double eyelids this prolly won't apply to you.
The most annoying thing is that when I tear, the eyeliner not only comes off, but it comes off in flakes that litter my cheeks and lower eyelid with black dust! And to add insult to injury, the black flakes smudge when I try to clean them off. =.= My MAC pencil eyeliner comes off when I tear too, and needs to be touched up, but at least it doesn't leave telltale flakes all over my face!
This eyeliner was so expensive that I feel the need to at least use it for a few months, and I've gotten the hang of looking up when I tear so that the eyeliner stays on, but it's so troublesome to do that. Definitely not buying this again!!

EDIT: I seem to have discovered a way of curing the "flaking" problem! I used silver pigment powder from Bellapierre and liberally mixed the gel eyeliner with the pigment. (I wanted a black eyeliner with silver glitter anyway. Haha!) It seems to "fix" the eyeliner such that it doesn't come off in flakes, though it still comes off and requires fairly frequent touchup. The pigment wasn't cheap either :\ I surmise from this that maybe those shades with shimmer that Bobbi sells might not flake so badly.

on 1/23/2012 2:51:00 PM

I needed to replace my MAC gel eyeliner in Blacktrack and couldnt get to a MAC counter so I tried this, instead. I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised. I think its better than MAC by far. First of all, the color is still very BLACK but in a more mature, sexy, kind of way and less like a harsh drag queen MAC kind of way. I can even make a thick line without looking like I'm impersonating an Egyptian. This gives me a sexy cat eye but yet mature and demure. The quality is very high end and it doesnt wipe off or get runny. Im looking forward to graduating to Bobbie Brown products, for sure.

on 10/15/2008 4:10:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I used this eyeliner years ago with the recommended Bobbi Brown angled eyeliner brush and it got all smushy and smeared all over my oily lids so after a while I threw it away. It looked horrible. Then I switched to Laura Mercier and they taught me how to dab liner into my lash line from below the lashes with the Laura Mercier flat eyeliner brush. Then I tried this same method with the Bobbi Brown gel eyeliner with PERFECT RESULTS. So I realized that the Bobbi Brown gel eyeliner is really a great product but I wasn't putting it on properly. Now I have precise lined eyes with no smudging (which is a huge problem with my oily Asian lids because the crease is so close to my eye) and lasts all day long. The gel consistency really lets you add quite a bit into your lash line to get the darkest solid black thin line. So if you use this eyeliner, don't use that stupid Bobbi Brown brush they suggest and you'll love this eyeliner. Now I can't live without it!!!

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I love this eyeliner. It's creamy, it glides on smoothly, it's opaque, and it never smudges. I use a Sonia Kashuk liner brush and it gives me a perfect application every time. There's really no cons about this product except the pot can dry out over time ( as with any other gel liner). I've had mine since February and it's still holding up decently. However, I won't repurchase. While it's good for what it is, it's nothing to drop another 20-something dollar on. I find the Wet n Wild gel liner does the same thing for about $20 less.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

So, I generally don't write reviews, but I just HAD to come on here and see if anyone had a single bad thing to say about this. Let me start off by telling you: I haven't worn eyeliner on my waterline or tightline for 3 years because it ALWAYS ends up smudged in the corner of my eye or underneath. Eww. I would prefer no liner than that! I went through MAC kohl pencils, UD 24/7 liner, MAC fluidline gel liner, covergirl, every brand and form of eyeliner you could think of! Just recently I decided to try again with a high end brand: Bobbi Brown. This is freaking amazing! MAC fluidline (also a gel liner) would be underneath my eye within 2 hours, I never ever thought a liner could stay on for more than 12! I never thought I'd say it, but yes: TWELVE HOURS this stayed on my waterline and tightline! I cannot describe how happy I am with the fact that I can finally wear liner in the inner rims of my eye now! On every eyeliner I've tried, I would agree with all the "this smudges under my eye" reviews but this is a very first for me!! Please save your money and BUY THIS! I am in love :) And with the wide range of colours, it's just too perfecto! I would give it 10 stars if I could.

on 6/4/2010 12:40:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Compared to MAC fluidline. It's creamier and easier to work with.
I like the consistency of bobbi brown's line of gel liners.
I wish the black was more intense though. for a better color payoff, I usually have to go over twice. Also although it dries pretty well, it fades and the black isn't so vibrant on me by midday.
It also smudges and looks really messy by the end of the day.
I guess this just isnt for me. Too bad because everyone else seems to love this liner!