Eau Thermal Avene Retrinal

Filtered by eye Color : Blue
Eau Thermal Avene Retrinal

4.2

on 6/8/2015 11:03:00 PM

I was running out of my last tube of non-USA purchased retin-a and I was researching on what to do next as I just did not want to pay USA prescription prices for retin-a. With help from the skin board (thank you) I decided to try this. I was kind of hoping it would not work as it is not cheap but I have to say I will be buying it again. My skin is looking clearer (sun spots mainly) and I really think this is doing a great job with my fine lines. I have tried over the years to use the highest non-prescription retin-a like products (ROC, Neutrogena) but this ones blows them away. It is not very moisturizing so I use it about 4 time a week with a couple nights off. I am not fond of the consistency - it comes out in a skinny thread of product from the bottle and is not super easy to blend in my skin (much like my retin-a) but it has been one of the most effective, over-the-counter treatments for my signs of again I have eve tried.

on 11/28/2013 6:36:00 PM

I purchased Avene+ 0.1% retrinal with vitamin E. It is their newest formulation. The vitamin E helps prevent irritation and is an powerful antioxidant. It goes on much easier than the usual Rx strength or high strength OTC retinol creams. It does a good job of firming skin, reducing wrinkles, and helping to exfoliate. My skin also looks brighter with continued use of Avene+. The packaging is excellent for this type of product, and the price is reasonable in that it should last you about 3 months, more if you use it for spot treatments only. The reason that I would not purchase it again is that it contains parabens, PEGs, and mineral oil to name a few of the less than desirable ingredients. I believe I can find something that works comparably without the nasty ingredients. If you don't mind those ingredients, then it really is a good product. I am more into organic or at least all-natural products. I will probably purchase a tretinoin product in gel form next time.

on 7/31/2013 8:54:00 AM

I am giving this product a review of one lippie because for me, it was a total bust. MINERAL OIL...if you are acne prone do NOT use this product...use the Triacneal instead. My face reacted to this product within days and this is not purging...this is full on acne breakouts. I tried the.1 but the .05 also contains mineral oil.

I ordered from Dermstore who is taking back the product for store credit so I'm happy about that.

Love love this stuff in spite of the price. Per the skb, this is the strongest OTC retrinol product on the market. I had previously used Eluage and w/ my advancing years (ok, mid 40s), I wanted to bump things up and this is the strongest version Avene makes. (PS - there is a wonderful article comparing the different retrinol versions/products if anyone is interested = PM me. I am not affiliated, I just found it informative!

I can use this stuff nightly, but I alternate w/ other items to save on $$. I have had no skin irritation, redness (in spite of the fact I have mild rosacea) or breakouts. It definitely helps my skin's appearance - I do have folks tell me I do not look my age and whilest I know a lot of that has to do w/ other factors (genes, environmental, other tx I use), I myself notice a difference when I stop using for a while = this is and will continue to be one of my main weapons in my anti-aging arsenal.

on 8/24/2012 5:16:00 PM

I have recently switched from this, to retin-a micro.. and recently tried it again, and man this stuff is great. I'd almost say it's better than retin-a. You might get some acne flair ups, but you also get that with retin-a when you first start using (first few weeks or so.)

If you cannot get a prescription, this is the best stuff to get. Get through the first odd week or two, and believe me, your skin will be great. Use only at night, and use a Vitamin C serum in the day, with a sunblock (preferably spf 50 or higher) and you have yourself a fountain of youth that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

It closed large pores, it cleaned up my acne after a few weeks, evened skin tone, smooth soft skin, and it makes you glow (even more with vitamin c) and is well worth the cost.

I have been holding off on writing my review because maybe like a lot of you - I bought like 4 new things and started using them all at once. Something out of the 4 things was doing a good job and making my face look really nice. I've narrowed it down to being this. It is a great feeling to wash my face at night (St. Ives Blemish/Blackhead control w/a pump of Cetephil) and then put this on. I've spent the big dollar on another product but I'm not sold on that yet (SkinCentuials Intense Line Defense). I have the Avene 1.0 retinol. It is not too strong for my face and I have no irritation nor dryness from it. It is the product that makes my face look one lovely and fresh glow. I do recommend it.

on 8/3/2007 9:00:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Cool

I had tried using this for a few months but finally gave up. I started out using it every third night and slowly worked my way up to every night. I didn't experience any purging from this, but had constant clogged pores the whole time I used it - after I stopped, they went away. I think the cream base was just the culprit, it just seemed too emollient for me and I was always waking up with a greasy-looking face - and it was wintertime. I'm now using Differin .1% gel and love it.

on 4/28/2007 1:32:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I've been using Retrinal .025% for a little over a month now. I started out using it every third night, and I now use it every other night, alternating with my BHA and BP acne treatment routine. I still haven't noticed any significant difference in my skin, but it also hasn't irritated my sensitive acne-prone skin at all. In fact, I plan to order the .05% next time. Since I can't currently afford to see a derm or get a prescription retinoid, this is the next best thing. I love that it is fragrance-free, but I do wish it were a bit lighter in texture. Hopefully I'll begin to see results after a few more months. UPDATE: Using Retrinal has allowed me to trade up to Differin Gel, which I could not use before. Although I no longer expect to repurchase Retrinal, I still think it's a great starter retinoid, especially for those like me with sensitive skin. Ingredients: water, caprylic/capric triglyceride, mineral oil, glyceryl stearate, peg-100 stearate, squalane, propylene glycol, glycol montanate, peg-40 hydrogenated castor oil, bht, butylparaben, carbomer, disodium edta, phenoxyethanol, propylparaben, red 33, retinal, triethanolamine. continued >>

on 11/12/2006 11:19:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I bought this (.1%) on the recommendation of my dermatologist. I used it for a while and then for some reason just quit because I wasn't sure I was seeing a difference. Well, once I stopped, I knew immediately it was making a big difference because my skin was just so dull! I've been back on it for a couple of weeks now and I can't imagine not using it. I have very dry skin, so I use a moisturizer first and then layer the retrinal on top. It works like a charm. My face is so soft and radiant.

on 9/3/2006 10:31:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

(I can't use this product due to the squalane but I wanted to include the ingredient listing in P'ville.)

UPDATE: Fast forward to 10/11/06: I decided to do a split face experiment with this on one side and Eluage gel on the other. Retrinal won! Who would have thought it? Squalane, though only a "1" on comedogencity lists has always been a problem for me, or so I thought. It's not terribly high on the ingredient listing, so perhaps that's why. Who knows? I'm so glad I gave it a try.

It's fast becoming my HG replacement for Ystheal Gel.

UPDATE: Jan 2007: I've now moved onto Differin gel.

INGREDIENTS: Water (aqua), Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum), Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-100 Stearate, Squalane, propylene Glycol, Glycol Montanate, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, BHT, Butylparaben, Carbomer, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Prolylparaben, Red 33 (CI 17200), Retinal, Triethanolamine. continued >>