Eau Thermal Avene Retrinal

Filtered by hair type : Wavy
Eau Thermal Avene Retrinal

4.7

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

I have been using RetrinAL 0.05 for almost 3 months now, and it is superb. The first retinol product I've ever tried. I'm 35, have dry, sensitive skin prone to rosacea and redness. A lot of things like harsh cleansers, SLS, and most acids give me instant rosacea outbreaks. But, since I had never tried retinol, I was curious to try it and settled on Avene because of good reviews and because my experience with the brand was pretty good. Their products seem well-designed for sensitive skins, even though they use a lot of petrochemicals. Almost everything I've tried, with only one exception, was well tolerated on my skin. So... the RetrinAL 0.05. I just use this on every 3rd night, to minimize any potential reaction. I've also read that you don't need to use retinol more than 3 times a week in your 30s. I had no weird peeling / redness reaction at all, although I think maybe after the first or second week, my skin felt slightly more sensitive than usual. That faded, and now I look forward to using this cream, because it means that I'll wake up with radiant skin. It shrinks pores, smooths the surface, and gives that glow that we all want. This is probably the best cream I've ever used, tbh, because it is quantifiably doing something. I love it and think it was worth the money. I use the matching eye cream too.

on 10/26/2017 8:54:00 PM

I've bought this several times. The nurse at the Med-Spa recommended it for my fair, oily, sensitive, acne-and-rosacea prone skin. (I wanted Retin-A, which was working miracles for my sister, and she said "Nope.") I used Retrinal for awhile in the spring and did appreciate the steady results. It has moisturizing properties, yet still seems to refine. But my skin regresses to total teen angst in the summer, so I switched to OTC Differin Gel, and that really helped with the breakouts. I haven't used Avene enough to be as ecstatic about the results as some are, but I am reaching for it again now that cooler weather is here and Differin Gel leaves me with dry patches. It seems much more beneficial to me in cold weather.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I bought this cream in the 0.1% strength. I am pushing 30 and I've started to notice slightly disturbing changes in my skin since my teens: larger pores on my cheeks (particularly the area closer to my nose) and worsening of genetic hyper pigmentation (think Lucy Liu freckles, except much lighter and just on the tops of my cheeks), some fine lines starting to develop but not much wrinkling. General coarsening of my skin: this I wanted to improve.

This cream has been delivering in all of the ways I had hoped for. My skin tolerates the concentration of retrinal and the formulation does not break me out. It is helping fade the horrendous breakout I developed when I tried Neutrogena Rapid Tone Repair: for some reason, the two times I've tried any of Neutrogena's products with the "Accelerated Retinol SA" I've ended up with the worst skin of my life, with NONE of the benefits Retrinal gives me.

I'd like to sum up by saying that if you want a cream in the $20 range, I recommend Neutrogena's Healthy Skin night cream with retinol. It's been around forever, and it is actually the reason I wanted to try a stronger vit A derivative: it gives me the benefits of Retrinal, albeit to a lesser degree.

To me, it's worth the $40-$60 for Retrinal. My skin has really improved quite a bit in the past month. I also experienced some purging for the first time in my life: I used to think cosmetic and cystic acne such as that which I got with Accelerated Retinol SA was "purging": it is not. It's not inflammatory pimples that are caused by purging: comedones start surfacing because the retrinal is working its' magic. When the comedones do happen to get infected, they create a minor surface pimple usually with the comedone visible at the surface of the skin.

Since Retin A micro (the only prescription retinoid I've tried) was much too irritating for me as a 22 year old, I'm not willing to risk the side effects again. For me, Retinal 0.1% is my new secret weapon (not a weak toy!), and I'm really excited about the upcoming months! One caveat to the whole Retrinal thing: I am experiencing mild irritation on my nose (esp from exposure to wind) and dryer skin. However, Cerave PM has solved that issue satisfactorily.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I consider myself lucky to have found a great skin care clinic in my area. I noticed that they carried Avene products and I bought the Retrinal .05. I have finished the tube and can say that my skin looks better than it did 10 years ago. It helps with the prevention of fine lines and minimizes pores. I have always had oily skin in my t-zone, but I am dry around my cheeks and parts of my forehead. This has not caused me any trouble at all. Great stuff, I am moving on to the 0.1 next!!

on 9/3/2006 10:31:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

(I can't use this product due to the squalane but I wanted to include the ingredient listing in P'ville.)

UPDATE: Fast forward to 10/11/06: I decided to do a split face experiment with this on one side and Eluage gel on the other. Retrinal won! Who would have thought it? Squalane, though only a "1" on comedogencity lists has always been a problem for me, or so I thought. It's not terribly high on the ingredient listing, so perhaps that's why. Who knows? I'm so glad I gave it a try.

It's fast becoming my HG replacement for Ystheal Gel.

UPDATE: Jan 2007: I've now moved onto Differin gel.

INGREDIENTS: Water (aqua), Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum), Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-100 Stearate, Squalane, propylene Glycol, Glycol Montanate, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, BHT, Butylparaben, Carbomer, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Prolylparaben, Red 33 (CI 17200), Retinal, Triethanolamine. continued >>

on 2/18/2006 10:40:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

UPDATE: 8/1/07 I upgraded to an RX retinoid (taz cream .1%) in 11/06, and now use Retrinal on body (arms, chest, hands) only, a few times a week. It has completely eliminated the KP on my upper arms, BTW. I still highly, highly recommend this product to anyone who doesn't want to deal with/can't use an RX retinoid.

(This review is for Retrinal, but includes comments on the other Avene retinaldehyde products.)

Started with the Ystheal Gel 12/1/05, first every 3rd night, then every 2nd. The alcohol in it was too drying for me in combo with that in my LRP DP 40 Spray s/s.

Switched to Ystheal Cream around 1/1/06, working up to nightly use. Found it nicely moisturizing, but pore clogging.

Replaced it with Retrinal .05 around a month ago. Currently using that 2 nights out of 3, and Retrinal .1 on the 3rd night. About to go up to alternating the 2 products on a nightly basis, and later, hopefully, Retrinal .1 every day.

Will try to incpororate Diacneal maybe 1 or 2x a week at some future point. Not sure I can handle the glycolic in it.

I'M EXTREMELY PLEASED WITH MY RESULTS FROM THE RETINALDEHYDES: skin is much more even toned, smoother, clearer (spot/blackhead-wise), sunspots and any old red acne marks have faded considerably (a couple have disappeared), wrinkles appear to have softened.

My skin type: 52 y/o, quite sensitive, dryish (especially in winter), with somewhat oily T-zone.