Eau Thermal Avene Retrinal

Filtered by hair type : Straight
Eau Thermal Avene Retrinal

4.4

INGREDIENTS: Water (aqua), Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum), Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-100 Stearate, Squalane, propylene Glycol, Glycol Montanate, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, BHT, Butylparaben, Carbomer, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Prolylparaben, Red 33 (CI 17200), Retinal, Triethanolamine

on 6/8/2015 11:03:00 PM

I was running out of my last tube of non-USA purchased retin-a and I was researching on what to do next as I just did not want to pay USA prescription prices for retin-a. With help from the skin board (thank you) I decided to try this. I was kind of hoping it would not work as it is not cheap but I have to say I will be buying it again. My skin is looking clearer (sun spots mainly) and I really think this is doing a great job with my fine lines. I have tried over the years to use the highest non-prescription retin-a like products (ROC, Neutrogena) but this ones blows them away. It is not very moisturizing so I use it about 4 time a week with a couple nights off. I am not fond of the consistency - it comes out in a skinny thread of product from the bottle and is not super easy to blend in my skin (much like my retin-a) but it has been one of the most effective, over-the-counter treatments for my signs of again I have eve tried.

Love love this stuff in spite of the price. Per the skb, this is the strongest OTC retrinol product on the market. I had previously used Eluage and w/ my advancing years (ok, mid 40s), I wanted to bump things up and this is the strongest version Avene makes. (PS - there is a wonderful article comparing the different retrinol versions/products if anyone is interested = PM me. I am not affiliated, I just found it informative!

I can use this stuff nightly, but I alternate w/ other items to save on $$. I have had no skin irritation, redness (in spite of the fact I have mild rosacea) or breakouts. It definitely helps my skin's appearance - I do have folks tell me I do not look my age and whilest I know a lot of that has to do w/ other factors (genes, environmental, other tx I use), I myself notice a difference when I stop using for a while = this is and will continue to be one of my main weapons in my anti-aging arsenal.

on 8/6/2011 3:53:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

HG stuff so far.
Thanks to med school and residency, i grew my first noticable grey hairs and naso-labial folds. :( i missed my baby face. LOL i've always applied spf 30+ sunscreen since my mid 20's and still manage to obtain few sunspots and wrinkles here in FL.
anyway, after doing research on effective anti-aging creams for skin, retinal and its derivatives are the scientific proven way to slow or control life's aging process topically. So i decided to get this.
After few months of usage of avene .1% retrinal, i notice my face more smoother, radiant than before. skin looks plumper.
after several months of usage (say over 4 months or more), i notice my less obvious sunspots (woohooo!) and naso-labial wrinkles are eh, not so much improvement. :( yes, they are still there and very stubborn and i know avene isnt the answer to it (treatment of choice for naso-labial folds: restyalane injection). there are times i notice my N-L wrinkles are making me look like a marionette puppet and there are times, i look like a 20 yr. old. LOL
i trully think proper hydration and healthy eating have alot to do on how ur skin looks overall....and i notice more hydrated i am, obviously a little less obvious that hated n-l wrinkle looks.
i think this is a great product. takes alot of patience to see results depending what u want to see. wrinkles will take months, and if deeper, probably very minimal minor noticable change to no change. Almost instant results in few weeks include: smoother, plump, evenly toned, radiant skin.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Pros:
It works for me (a staple have bought over 10 bottles in the past 3 years).
Form of Vitamin A that "gently" relaxes wrinkles.
Minimal Fragrance compared to the other lines
A little goes a long way.

Cons:
Price - was $64, (as of 7/2/2012 - now $69)
So little product for price 1oz.
Over the counter Retinol needs the help of prescription grade.

on 2/7/2009 2:41:00 PM

I'm using the .1% Retrinal about 2x a week, and it is working well at smoothing out my lines, and improving my blotchy skin's texture. I was a devoted user of the dc'ed Avene Ystheal Gel. I love and miss that one! I never had irritation, and had perfect skin, even w/ the low % of retinaldehyde in it. The Retrinal is not quite as good, but is the closest I've found. (Never tried Rx retinoids, not ready to deal w/ daily irritation.)

Other Avene formulas didn't work for me. (Ystheal & lotion, and Eluage gel .05... both = clogged pores, with no effect on my skin's texture.) The .1% Retrinal works on my lip and eye fine lines, and my forehead wrinkles are less noticeable. Overall skin texture is a little smoother. This doesn't feel heavy, and hasn't clogged my pores. I get mild dryness a day after using it, but some of that is due to the cold winter weather. I sometimes mix this with PC Antioxidant Serum or Vanicream. Using it this way, I've never had irritation or redness. Biggest complaint is the price. I got it online for about $45, but I see it going for $55-$65 in other places. I will buy it again... grudgingly. A little tube lasts a long time, but that's just ridiculous.

on 8/3/2007 9:00:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Cool

I had tried using this for a few months but finally gave up. I started out using it every third night and slowly worked my way up to every night. I didn't experience any purging from this, but had constant clogged pores the whole time I used it - after I stopped, they went away. I think the cream base was just the culprit, it just seemed too emollient for me and I was always waking up with a greasy-looking face - and it was wintertime. I'm now using Differin .1% gel and love it.

on 4/28/2007 1:32:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I've been using Retrinal .025% for a little over a month now. I started out using it every third night, and I now use it every other night, alternating with my BHA and BP acne treatment routine. I still haven't noticed any significant difference in my skin, but it also hasn't irritated my sensitive acne-prone skin at all. In fact, I plan to order the .05% next time. Since I can't currently afford to see a derm or get a prescription retinoid, this is the next best thing. I love that it is fragrance-free, but I do wish it were a bit lighter in texture. Hopefully I'll begin to see results after a few more months. UPDATE: Using Retrinal has allowed me to trade up to Differin Gel, which I could not use before. Although I no longer expect to repurchase Retrinal, I still think it's a great starter retinoid, especially for those like me with sensitive skin. Ingredients: water, caprylic/capric triglyceride, mineral oil, glyceryl stearate, peg-100 stearate, squalane, propylene glycol, glycol montanate, peg-40 hydrogenated castor oil, bht, butylparaben, carbomer, disodium edta, phenoxyethanol, propylparaben, red 33, retinal, triethanolamine. continued >>

on 10/8/2006 8:20:00 AM

Have been using .05% for 2 weeks,so far I am impressed. I have mild/moderate rosacea+am PPP,sensitive skin. This has improved redness,overall skin tone+ refined my skin already. I am a 26 year old Australian +have the beginnings of fine lines on my forehead. I think I have seen an improvement in these. Will update to be sure it's not all wishful thinking, so far I am pleased.
11/3/6 Results even better,skin much more refined+smoother. Need for exfoliation has greatly reduced, though PC BHA 2% is still needed.Roasea appears to have improved.Not a miracle, but so far impressed. Upgrading to higher strength,Eluage gel. My skin is very sensitive, (retinol in a Chanel eye cream I sampled recently caused redness), I have been very pleasantly surprised by how nicely my sensitive skin has handled this form of Vit A. As such highly rec this for sensitive skins, just go slowly (to begin with I only used this on my forehead, before including chin + cheeks). I've read Vit A doesn't necessarily increase photo sensitivity, however I could feel my skin reacting more than usual to incidental sun exposure (could feel it slightly burn on one occasion when I wasn't diligent with SPF). Update 03/09/07 Have upgraded to Eluage and Ystheal .1%, may continue to use this as eye cream. I very highly rec this product and line of Vit A for those with sensitive skin, rosacea etc.