Eau Thermal Avene Retrinal

Filtered by skin tone : Fair-Medium
Eau Thermal Avene Retrinal

4.5

The Avene Retrinal 0.1 Intensive Cream was only the second product I've ever tried from this brand so I wasn't quite sure what to expect, especially since the only other product I'd tried was their Thermal Spring Water. I was quite pleasantly surprised by the Avene Retrinal, which is their retinol cream, that they have in two different strengths. This 0.1 is the stronger of the two; their other version is .05 Retrinal Intensive Cream. I loved the consistency of this in that it is a cream that is also hydrating and give skin some good antioxidants, vitamin e, and also a few peptides. I love that this is fragrance free (and also paraben free for those looking to avoid them). I would definitely purchase more from the brand. It is a little expensive but not outrageously so. My video review can be seen here:

on 9/11/2013 11:30:00 PM

I started using this when I got a free sample, Avene is my favorite for skin care. I've used a lot of different products for aging & hands down this has worked the best. down side is the cost, but I've found great deals on eBay & Amazon. Also I find a little goes a long way. I've used several Avene products for wrinkles & fine lines for about a month a see a nice difference! I've read people say give it a couple months to get best results & that's what I'm doing. I'm 41 and realize I'll never look 20 again but to improve my skin appearance is worth the money.

on 4/29/2013 10:29:00 AM

RESEARCH:
I've been researching retinoid-based creams for months now. I chose this one because it seems to be the highest effective functionalization (aldehyde) before you go to prescription-strength (acids). FYI, the retinol in CVS products like ROC is an alcohol. For a comprehensive list, check here:

SKIN:
I have fair skin which tends to be sensitive, dry and prone to hormonal acne, large pores, white heads with a dash of KP around the cheeks. It is virtually impossible for me to find a product that will not aggravate anything and I find that my skin behaves better if I just cleanse it with warm water and nothing else! Retinoid is something I haven't tried yet so I felt hopeful - since there are very few main chemicals that I haven't tried yet - only thing that my face and body can deal with was benzyl peroxide (4%) once a month, everything else either doesn't help or makes things worse.

PURCHASE:
Avene was a little was a little difficult to find since it is one of those "available through spas" products. After a bit of search, I settled on getting it from http://www.dermstore.com/ which shipped it promptly with a couple of freebies thrown in. I bought the 0.05%.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS:
A week before my Avene arrived, I received a free sample from Sephora of a DERMAdoctor Physical Therapy exfoliator (still in search for something other that water to clean my face with). http://www.dermadoctor.com/best-sellers/physical-chemistry-facial-microdermabrasion-multiacid-chemical-peel.html
Miraculously, it did not irritate my skin (I've tried other high-end scrubs and my face turns red) and I was pleased with the results.

I used the scrub before my first application of Avene. To apply use a pea amount and dab around the face. Then work it in. About 4 days later, I repeated the scrub and Avene. I did this at night. The cream absorbs immediately, leaving skin soft.

RESULTS WEEK 1:
No unusual breaking out. My cheeks which were bumpy are incredibly soft, I can't stop touching them! The pores around the nose look less dark but the whiteheads are still there. Flakiness around week-old zit scars is gone too.

RESULTS WEEK 3:
I continue to use this every 3 days and it seems to be clearing out the pores nicely. A little push with a nail and most of the clogs slide right out. I had a break out on the chin but it lasted only about half the time it usually lasts. The Kp-like bumps around the cheeks seem to be gone for good now. Time to start using this every other day and look into getting a good night cream.

RESULTS WEEK 5:
So the much anticipated "retinoid purge" has arrived. This is a mixed blessing. On one hand pores that were so deeply clogged and closed that it's become a permanent feature on the face all of a sudden opened up. Again, I had to use mechanical means but the sebum was very hard and slipped right out (sorry, being a bit graphic here). On the other hand, it feels like there is gunk perpetually oozing out of my skin and it's making the foundation look strange and flaky. I stopped using foundation for a while and switched to Juice Beauty CC Cream. The scrub definitely helps here. Find something gentle enough that you can use every day. Any agitated pores heal within a day so despite the retinoid reaction, it still seems like the skin is better now than it was before.

on 8/24/2012 5:16:00 PM

I have recently switched from this, to retin-a micro.. and recently tried it again, and man this stuff is great. I'd almost say it's better than retin-a. You might get some acne flair ups, but you also get that with retin-a when you first start using (first few weeks or so.)

If you cannot get a prescription, this is the best stuff to get. Get through the first odd week or two, and believe me, your skin will be great. Use only at night, and use a Vitamin C serum in the day, with a sunblock (preferably spf 50 or higher) and you have yourself a fountain of youth that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

It closed large pores, it cleaned up my acne after a few weeks, evened skin tone, smooth soft skin, and it makes you glow (even more with vitamin c) and is well worth the cost.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Pros:
It works for me (a staple have bought over 10 bottles in the past 3 years).
Form of Vitamin A that "gently" relaxes wrinkles.
Minimal Fragrance compared to the other lines
A little goes a long way.

Cons:
Price - was $64, (as of 7/2/2012 - now $69)
So little product for price 1oz.
Over the counter Retinol needs the help of prescription grade.

on 12/28/2009 9:07:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Retrinal is much much better than the other Avene line, Eluage. It is less tinted, less fragranced and I never wake up with a significantly red face the next morning, as sometimes happens with Eluage, perhaps due to the strong perfume in Eluage.

I use Retrinal to calm down the occasional redness I get from my primary retinoid Afirm 3X. Retrinal restores my face to a calm while color overnight. Apart from that, I don't think Retrinal even in its 0.1% concetration is strong enough to influence fine lines or stop mild breakouts, that is why I use Afirm 3X. The 0.05% Retrinal version works just as good as the 0.1% to calm down redness and is cheaper.

I can't understand, and many other users don't, why Avene keeps tinting and fragrancing their retinaldehyde lines. I would rather have a light gel that is not tinted or fragranced but unfortunately there is no such thing as of yet.

on 4/27/2009 7:33:00 PM

I started my retinoid journey with Neutragena and was seeing some results. I had read that the Avene was a more effective form...so I switched....after a month on the Avene it was clear my skin was regressing....it did not help me at all....so I went back to Neutrogena and my skin started looking good again....I have finally over many months graduated up to Renova 2 days on and 1 day off and am REALLY seeing the results now....my skin is so soft and smoothe...and the lines are fading.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I consider myself lucky to have found a great skin care clinic in my area. I noticed that they carried Avene products and I bought the Retrinal .05. I have finished the tube and can say that my skin looks better than it did 10 years ago. It helps with the prevention of fine lines and minimizes pores. I have always had oily skin in my t-zone, but I am dry around my cheeks and parts of my forehead. This has not caused me any trouble at all. Great stuff, I am moving on to the 0.1 next!!

This review is for the Retrinal .05%. This product was my introduction to retnoids. I initially couldn't decide if I should start with the .025% or the .05%, but after reading that the .05% is still quite gentle, I decided to go with that strength. I have combo skin, which tends to be dry in the winter and oily in the summer. I usually have at least 1 or 2 zits at any given time. The acne is mild, but it has been persistent. I started off using Retrinal every other night for about 2 weeks, and then every night. After another week or two without any adverse reactions, I started using PC's AHA gel first, and then applied Retrinal (in effect, I was making my own, weaker, version of Avene's Diacneal). I just reached the 2 month mark, and I can honestly say that my skin hasn't looked this good in years! I'm a huge skeptic when it comes to "miracle" anti-aging creams, but this has really worked. My skin is much smoother and brighter, some of my sun spots have faded considerably, and I have not gotten any new zits in about a month.

on 9/3/2006 10:31:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

(I can't use this product due to the squalane but I wanted to include the ingredient listing in P'ville.)

UPDATE: Fast forward to 10/11/06: I decided to do a split face experiment with this on one side and Eluage gel on the other. Retrinal won! Who would have thought it? Squalane, though only a "1" on comedogencity lists has always been a problem for me, or so I thought. It's not terribly high on the ingredient listing, so perhaps that's why. Who knows? I'm so glad I gave it a try.

It's fast becoming my HG replacement for Ystheal Gel.

UPDATE: Jan 2007: I've now moved onto Differin gel.

INGREDIENTS: Water (aqua), Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum), Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-100 Stearate, Squalane, propylene Glycol, Glycol Montanate, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, BHT, Butylparaben, Carbomer, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Prolylparaben, Red 33 (CI 17200), Retinal, Triethanolamine. continued >>