Eau Thermal Avene Retrinal

Filtered by skin type : Sensitive
Eau Thermal Avene Retrinal

4.4

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

I have been using RetrinAL 0.05 for almost 3 months now, and it is superb. The first retinol product I've ever tried. I'm 35, have dry, sensitive skin prone to rosacea and redness. A lot of things like harsh cleansers, SLS, and most acids give me instant rosacea outbreaks. But, since I had never tried retinol, I was curious to try it and settled on Avene because of good reviews and because my experience with the brand was pretty good. Their products seem well-designed for sensitive skins, even though they use a lot of petrochemicals. Almost everything I've tried, with only one exception, was well tolerated on my skin. So... the RetrinAL 0.05. I just use this on every 3rd night, to minimize any potential reaction. I've also read that you don't need to use retinol more than 3 times a week in your 30s. I had no weird peeling / redness reaction at all, although I think maybe after the first or second week, my skin felt slightly more sensitive than usual. That faded, and now I look forward to using this cream, because it means that I'll wake up with radiant skin. It shrinks pores, smooths the surface, and gives that glow that we all want. This is probably the best cream I've ever used, tbh, because it is quantifiably doing something. I love it and think it was worth the money. I use the matching eye cream too.

on 10/26/2017 8:54:00 PM

I've bought this several times. The nurse at the Med-Spa recommended it for my fair, oily, sensitive, acne-and-rosacea prone skin. (I wanted Retin-A, which was working miracles for my sister, and she said "Nope.") I used Retrinal for awhile in the spring and did appreciate the steady results. It has moisturizing properties, yet still seems to refine. But my skin regresses to total teen angst in the summer, so I switched to OTC Differin Gel, and that really helped with the breakouts. I haven't used Avene enough to be as ecstatic about the results as some are, but I am reaching for it again now that cooler weather is here and Differin Gel leaves me with dry patches. It seems much more beneficial to me in cold weather.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I got this after reading all the great reviews. I used it once and then returned it. Caused me to break out and made my skin rough with flaky patches. After one use! I prefer Peter Thomas Roth Retinal Fusion for my supersensitive skin.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Pros:
It works for me (a staple have bought over 10 bottles in the past 3 years).
Form of Vitamin A that "gently" relaxes wrinkles.
Minimal Fragrance compared to the other lines
A little goes a long way.

Cons:
Price - was $64, (as of 7/2/2012 - now $69)
So little product for price 1oz.
Over the counter Retinol needs the help of prescription grade.

on 1/28/2010 2:31:00 PM

Avene Retrinal saved my skin.
I have fair, sensitive rosacea skin. It took about a year using this mild formula, my skin can't take strong retinols. But it was worth the wait. I still use .5% 2 nights on 1 night off, but may consider going up to .1%. If you want something that won't irritate ,but will exfoliate slowly, this is it.

on 9/25/2008 12:57:00 PM

I am one of those unlucky folks who cannot tolerate prescription retinoic acid...YET. I finally broke down and got the mildest concentration of retinaldehyde in the Retrinal cream, 0.025%. I just got this product so I will be back to tell about the long-term usage. But I wanted to note that my very acneic skin has not had any clogged pores from this, and I've had no peeling, redness, or sensitivity. This is amazing because RAM and Retin-A both tore my skin all to hell. I am SO stoked that I can use this! I intend to get the stronger percentage each time I run out of a tube, and then move on to Diacneal...hopefully by then my skin will be able to handle it. Wish me luck!

**edit: I have used a 0.025, and a .5 tube with fantastic results. No breakouts, and my skin looks younger and smoother. I am waiting on my next tube to arrive, in the highest concentration. After I use that, I'll move on to Diacneal.

***UPDATE: I am now using the .1% and no problems with sensitivity. I am really hoping that eventually this will have my skin prepared for going on some mild Rx like Differin. Wish me luck :)

on 4/28/2007 1:32:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I've been using Retrinal .025% for a little over a month now. I started out using it every third night, and I now use it every other night, alternating with my BHA and BP acne treatment routine. I still haven't noticed any significant difference in my skin, but it also hasn't irritated my sensitive acne-prone skin at all. In fact, I plan to order the .05% next time. Since I can't currently afford to see a derm or get a prescription retinoid, this is the next best thing. I love that it is fragrance-free, but I do wish it were a bit lighter in texture. Hopefully I'll begin to see results after a few more months. UPDATE: Using Retrinal has allowed me to trade up to Differin Gel, which I could not use before. Although I no longer expect to repurchase Retrinal, I still think it's a great starter retinoid, especially for those like me with sensitive skin. Ingredients: water, caprylic/capric triglyceride, mineral oil, glyceryl stearate, peg-100 stearate, squalane, propylene glycol, glycol montanate, peg-40 hydrogenated castor oil, bht, butylparaben, carbomer, disodium edta, phenoxyethanol, propylparaben, red 33, retinal, triethanolamine. continued >>

on 9/3/2006 10:31:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

(I can't use this product due to the squalane but I wanted to include the ingredient listing in P'ville.)

UPDATE: Fast forward to 10/11/06: I decided to do a split face experiment with this on one side and Eluage gel on the other. Retrinal won! Who would have thought it? Squalane, though only a "1" on comedogencity lists has always been a problem for me, or so I thought. It's not terribly high on the ingredient listing, so perhaps that's why. Who knows? I'm so glad I gave it a try.

It's fast becoming my HG replacement for Ystheal Gel.

UPDATE: Jan 2007: I've now moved onto Differin gel.

INGREDIENTS: Water (aqua), Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum), Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-100 Stearate, Squalane, propylene Glycol, Glycol Montanate, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, BHT, Butylparaben, Carbomer, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Prolylparaben, Red 33 (CI 17200), Retinal, Triethanolamine. continued >>

on 2/18/2006 10:40:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

UPDATE: 8/1/07 I upgraded to an RX retinoid (taz cream .1%) in 11/06, and now use Retrinal on body (arms, chest, hands) only, a few times a week. It has completely eliminated the KP on my upper arms, BTW. I still highly, highly recommend this product to anyone who doesn't want to deal with/can't use an RX retinoid.

(This review is for Retrinal, but includes comments on the other Avene retinaldehyde products.)

Started with the Ystheal Gel 12/1/05, first every 3rd night, then every 2nd. The alcohol in it was too drying for me in combo with that in my LRP DP 40 Spray s/s.

Switched to Ystheal Cream around 1/1/06, working up to nightly use. Found it nicely moisturizing, but pore clogging.

Replaced it with Retrinal .05 around a month ago. Currently using that 2 nights out of 3, and Retrinal .1 on the 3rd night. About to go up to alternating the 2 products on a nightly basis, and later, hopefully, Retrinal .1 every day.

Will try to incpororate Diacneal maybe 1 or 2x a week at some future point. Not sure I can handle the glycolic in it.

I'M EXTREMELY PLEASED WITH MY RESULTS FROM THE RETINALDEHYDES: skin is much more even toned, smoother, clearer (spot/blackhead-wise), sunspots and any old red acne marks have faded considerably (a couple have disappeared), wrinkles appear to have softened.

My skin type: 52 y/o, quite sensitive, dryish (especially in winter), with somewhat oily T-zone.