Eau Thermal Avene Retrinal

Filtered by skin type : Combination
Eau Thermal Avene Retrinal

4.1

INGREDIENTS: Water (aqua), Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum), Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-100 Stearate, Squalane, propylene Glycol, Glycol Montanate, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, BHT, Butylparaben, Carbomer, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Prolylparaben, Red 33 (CI 17200), Retinal, Triethanolamine

on 6/8/2015 11:03:00 PM

I was running out of my last tube of non-USA purchased retin-a and I was researching on what to do next as I just did not want to pay USA prescription prices for retin-a. With help from the skin board (thank you) I decided to try this. I was kind of hoping it would not work as it is not cheap but I have to say I will be buying it again. My skin is looking clearer (sun spots mainly) and I really think this is doing a great job with my fine lines. I have tried over the years to use the highest non-prescription retin-a like products (ROC, Neutrogena) but this ones blows them away. It is not very moisturizing so I use it about 4 time a week with a couple nights off. I am not fond of the consistency - it comes out in a skinny thread of product from the bottle and is not super easy to blend in my skin (much like my retin-a) but it has been one of the most effective, over-the-counter treatments for my signs of again I have eve tried.

on 11/28/2013 6:36:00 PM

I purchased Avene+ 0.1% retrinal with vitamin E. It is their newest formulation. The vitamin E helps prevent irritation and is an powerful antioxidant. It goes on much easier than the usual Rx strength or high strength OTC retinol creams. It does a good job of firming skin, reducing wrinkles, and helping to exfoliate. My skin also looks brighter with continued use of Avene+. The packaging is excellent for this type of product, and the price is reasonable in that it should last you about 3 months, more if you use it for spot treatments only. The reason that I would not purchase it again is that it contains parabens, PEGs, and mineral oil to name a few of the less than desirable ingredients. I believe I can find something that works comparably without the nasty ingredients. If you don't mind those ingredients, then it really is a good product. I am more into organic or at least all-natural products. I will probably purchase a tretinoin product in gel form next time.

on 7/31/2013 8:54:00 AM

I am giving this product a review of one lippie because for me, it was a total bust. MINERAL OIL...if you are acne prone do NOT use this product...use the Triacneal instead. My face reacted to this product within days and this is not purging...this is full on acne breakouts. I tried the.1 but the .05 also contains mineral oil.

I ordered from Dermstore who is taking back the product for store credit so I'm happy about that.

on 4/29/2013 10:29:00 AM

RESEARCH:
I've been researching retinoid-based creams for months now. I chose this one because it seems to be the highest effective functionalization (aldehyde) before you go to prescription-strength (acids). FYI, the retinol in CVS products like ROC is an alcohol. For a comprehensive list, check here:

SKIN:
I have fair skin which tends to be sensitive, dry and prone to hormonal acne, large pores, white heads with a dash of KP around the cheeks. It is virtually impossible for me to find a product that will not aggravate anything and I find that my skin behaves better if I just cleanse it with warm water and nothing else! Retinoid is something I haven't tried yet so I felt hopeful - since there are very few main chemicals that I haven't tried yet - only thing that my face and body can deal with was benzyl peroxide (4%) once a month, everything else either doesn't help or makes things worse.

PURCHASE:
Avene was a little was a little difficult to find since it is one of those "available through spas" products. After a bit of search, I settled on getting it from http://www.dermstore.com/ which shipped it promptly with a couple of freebies thrown in. I bought the 0.05%.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS:
A week before my Avene arrived, I received a free sample from Sephora of a DERMAdoctor Physical Therapy exfoliator (still in search for something other that water to clean my face with). http://www.dermadoctor.com/best-sellers/physical-chemistry-facial-microdermabrasion-multiacid-chemical-peel.html
Miraculously, it did not irritate my skin (I've tried other high-end scrubs and my face turns red) and I was pleased with the results.

I used the scrub before my first application of Avene. To apply use a pea amount and dab around the face. Then work it in. About 4 days later, I repeated the scrub and Avene. I did this at night. The cream absorbs immediately, leaving skin soft.

RESULTS WEEK 1:
No unusual breaking out. My cheeks which were bumpy are incredibly soft, I can't stop touching them! The pores around the nose look less dark but the whiteheads are still there. Flakiness around week-old zit scars is gone too.

RESULTS WEEK 3:
I continue to use this every 3 days and it seems to be clearing out the pores nicely. A little push with a nail and most of the clogs slide right out. I had a break out on the chin but it lasted only about half the time it usually lasts. The Kp-like bumps around the cheeks seem to be gone for good now. Time to start using this every other day and look into getting a good night cream.

RESULTS WEEK 5:
So the much anticipated "retinoid purge" has arrived. This is a mixed blessing. On one hand pores that were so deeply clogged and closed that it's become a permanent feature on the face all of a sudden opened up. Again, I had to use mechanical means but the sebum was very hard and slipped right out (sorry, being a bit graphic here). On the other hand, it feels like there is gunk perpetually oozing out of my skin and it's making the foundation look strange and flaky. I stopped using foundation for a while and switched to Juice Beauty CC Cream. The scrub definitely helps here. Find something gentle enough that you can use every day. Any agitated pores heal within a day so despite the retinoid reaction, it still seems like the skin is better now than it was before.

Love love this stuff in spite of the price. Per the skb, this is the strongest OTC retrinol product on the market. I had previously used Eluage and w/ my advancing years (ok, mid 40s), I wanted to bump things up and this is the strongest version Avene makes. (PS - there is a wonderful article comparing the different retrinol versions/products if anyone is interested = PM me. I am not affiliated, I just found it informative!

I can use this stuff nightly, but I alternate w/ other items to save on $$. I have had no skin irritation, redness (in spite of the fact I have mild rosacea) or breakouts. It definitely helps my skin's appearance - I do have folks tell me I do not look my age and whilest I know a lot of that has to do w/ other factors (genes, environmental, other tx I use), I myself notice a difference when I stop using for a while = this is and will continue to be one of my main weapons in my anti-aging arsenal.

on 8/24/2012 5:16:00 PM

I have recently switched from this, to retin-a micro.. and recently tried it again, and man this stuff is great. I'd almost say it's better than retin-a. You might get some acne flair ups, but you also get that with retin-a when you first start using (first few weeks or so.)

If you cannot get a prescription, this is the best stuff to get. Get through the first odd week or two, and believe me, your skin will be great. Use only at night, and use a Vitamin C serum in the day, with a sunblock (preferably spf 50 or higher) and you have yourself a fountain of youth that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

It closed large pores, it cleaned up my acne after a few weeks, evened skin tone, smooth soft skin, and it makes you glow (even more with vitamin c) and is well worth the cost.

on 8/6/2011 3:53:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

HG stuff so far.
Thanks to med school and residency, i grew my first noticable grey hairs and naso-labial folds. :( i missed my baby face. LOL i've always applied spf 30+ sunscreen since my mid 20's and still manage to obtain few sunspots and wrinkles here in FL.
anyway, after doing research on effective anti-aging creams for skin, retinal and its derivatives are the scientific proven way to slow or control life's aging process topically. So i decided to get this.
After few months of usage of avene .1% retrinal, i notice my face more smoother, radiant than before. skin looks plumper.
after several months of usage (say over 4 months or more), i notice my less obvious sunspots (woohooo!) and naso-labial wrinkles are eh, not so much improvement. :( yes, they are still there and very stubborn and i know avene isnt the answer to it (treatment of choice for naso-labial folds: restyalane injection). there are times i notice my N-L wrinkles are making me look like a marionette puppet and there are times, i look like a 20 yr. old. LOL
i trully think proper hydration and healthy eating have alot to do on how ur skin looks overall....and i notice more hydrated i am, obviously a little less obvious that hated n-l wrinkle looks.
i think this is a great product. takes alot of patience to see results depending what u want to see. wrinkles will take months, and if deeper, probably very minimal minor noticable change to no change. Almost instant results in few weeks include: smoother, plump, evenly toned, radiant skin.

on 4/27/2009 7:33:00 PM

I started my retinoid journey with Neutragena and was seeing some results. I had read that the Avene was a more effective form...so I switched....after a month on the Avene it was clear my skin was regressing....it did not help me at all....so I went back to Neutrogena and my skin started looking good again....I have finally over many months graduated up to Renova 2 days on and 1 day off and am REALLY seeing the results now....my skin is so soft and smoothe...and the lines are fading.

on 2/7/2009 2:41:00 PM

I'm using the .1% Retrinal about 2x a week, and it is working well at smoothing out my lines, and improving my blotchy skin's texture. I was a devoted user of the dc'ed Avene Ystheal Gel. I love and miss that one! I never had irritation, and had perfect skin, even w/ the low % of retinaldehyde in it. The Retrinal is not quite as good, but is the closest I've found. (Never tried Rx retinoids, not ready to deal w/ daily irritation.)

Other Avene formulas didn't work for me. (Ystheal & lotion, and Eluage gel .05... both = clogged pores, with no effect on my skin's texture.) The .1% Retrinal works on my lip and eye fine lines, and my forehead wrinkles are less noticeable. Overall skin texture is a little smoother. This doesn't feel heavy, and hasn't clogged my pores. I get mild dryness a day after using it, but some of that is due to the cold winter weather. I sometimes mix this with PC Antioxidant Serum or Vanicream. Using it this way, I've never had irritation or redness. Biggest complaint is the price. I got it online for about $45, but I see it going for $55-$65 in other places. I will buy it again... grudgingly. A little tube lasts a long time, but that's just ridiculous.

This review is for the Retrinal .05%. This product was my introduction to retnoids. I initially couldn't decide if I should start with the .025% or the .05%, but after reading that the .05% is still quite gentle, I decided to go with that strength. I have combo skin, which tends to be dry in the winter and oily in the summer. I usually have at least 1 or 2 zits at any given time. The acne is mild, but it has been persistent. I started off using Retrinal every other night for about 2 weeks, and then every night. After another week or two without any adverse reactions, I started using PC's AHA gel first, and then applied Retrinal (in effect, I was making my own, weaker, version of Avene's Diacneal). I just reached the 2 month mark, and I can honestly say that my skin hasn't looked this good in years! I'm a huge skeptic when it comes to "miracle" anti-aging creams, but this has really worked. My skin is much smoother and brighter, some of my sun spots have faded considerably, and I have not gotten any new zits in about a month.