Eau Thermal Avene Retrinal

Filtered by skin tone : Fair
Eau Thermal Avene Retrinal

3.9

INGREDIENTS: Water (aqua), Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum), Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-100 Stearate, Squalane, propylene Glycol, Glycol Montanate, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, BHT, Butylparaben, Carbomer, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Prolylparaben, Red 33 (CI 17200), Retinal, Triethanolamine

on 10/26/2017 8:54:00 PM

I've bought this several times. The nurse at the Med-Spa recommended it for my fair, oily, sensitive, acne-and-rosacea prone skin. (I wanted Retin-A, which was working miracles for my sister, and she said "Nope.") I used Retrinal for awhile in the spring and did appreciate the steady results. It has moisturizing properties, yet still seems to refine. But my skin regresses to total teen angst in the summer, so I switched to OTC Differin Gel, and that really helped with the breakouts. I haven't used Avene enough to be as ecstatic about the results as some are, but I am reaching for it again now that cooler weather is here and Differin Gel leaves me with dry patches. It seems much more beneficial to me in cold weather.

on 6/8/2015 11:03:00 PM

I was running out of my last tube of non-USA purchased retin-a and I was researching on what to do next as I just did not want to pay USA prescription prices for retin-a. With help from the skin board (thank you) I decided to try this. I was kind of hoping it would not work as it is not cheap but I have to say I will be buying it again. My skin is looking clearer (sun spots mainly) and I really think this is doing a great job with my fine lines. I have tried over the years to use the highest non-prescription retin-a like products (ROC, Neutrogena) but this ones blows them away. It is not very moisturizing so I use it about 4 time a week with a couple nights off. I am not fond of the consistency - it comes out in a skinny thread of product from the bottle and is not super easy to blend in my skin (much like my retin-a) but it has been one of the most effective, over-the-counter treatments for my signs of again I have eve tried.

on 7/31/2013 8:54:00 AM

I am giving this product a review of one lippie because for me, it was a total bust. MINERAL OIL...if you are acne prone do NOT use this product...use the Triacneal instead. My face reacted to this product within days and this is not purging...this is full on acne breakouts. I tried the.1 but the .05 also contains mineral oil.

I ordered from Dermstore who is taking back the product for store credit so I'm happy about that.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I bought this cream in the 0.1% strength. I am pushing 30 and I've started to notice slightly disturbing changes in my skin since my teens: larger pores on my cheeks (particularly the area closer to my nose) and worsening of genetic hyper pigmentation (think Lucy Liu freckles, except much lighter and just on the tops of my cheeks), some fine lines starting to develop but not much wrinkling. General coarsening of my skin: this I wanted to improve.

This cream has been delivering in all of the ways I had hoped for. My skin tolerates the concentration of retrinal and the formulation does not break me out. It is helping fade the horrendous breakout I developed when I tried Neutrogena Rapid Tone Repair: for some reason, the two times I've tried any of Neutrogena's products with the "Accelerated Retinol SA" I've ended up with the worst skin of my life, with NONE of the benefits Retrinal gives me.

I'd like to sum up by saying that if you want a cream in the $20 range, I recommend Neutrogena's Healthy Skin night cream with retinol. It's been around forever, and it is actually the reason I wanted to try a stronger vit A derivative: it gives me the benefits of Retrinal, albeit to a lesser degree.

To me, it's worth the $40-$60 for Retrinal. My skin has really improved quite a bit in the past month. I also experienced some purging for the first time in my life: I used to think cosmetic and cystic acne such as that which I got with Accelerated Retinol SA was "purging": it is not. It's not inflammatory pimples that are caused by purging: comedones start surfacing because the retrinal is working its' magic. When the comedones do happen to get infected, they create a minor surface pimple usually with the comedone visible at the surface of the skin.

Since Retin A micro (the only prescription retinoid I've tried) was much too irritating for me as a 22 year old, I'm not willing to risk the side effects again. For me, Retinal 0.1% is my new secret weapon (not a weak toy!), and I'm really excited about the upcoming months! One caveat to the whole Retrinal thing: I am experiencing mild irritation on my nose (esp from exposure to wind) and dryer skin. However, Cerave PM has solved that issue satisfactorily.

Love love this stuff in spite of the price. Per the skb, this is the strongest OTC retrinol product on the market. I had previously used Eluage and w/ my advancing years (ok, mid 40s), I wanted to bump things up and this is the strongest version Avene makes. (PS - there is a wonderful article comparing the different retrinol versions/products if anyone is interested = PM me. I am not affiliated, I just found it informative!

I can use this stuff nightly, but I alternate w/ other items to save on $$. I have had no skin irritation, redness (in spite of the fact I have mild rosacea) or breakouts. It definitely helps my skin's appearance - I do have folks tell me I do not look my age and whilest I know a lot of that has to do w/ other factors (genes, environmental, other tx I use), I myself notice a difference when I stop using for a while = this is and will continue to be one of my main weapons in my anti-aging arsenal.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I got this after reading all the great reviews. I used it once and then returned it. Caused me to break out and made my skin rough with flaky patches. After one use! I prefer Peter Thomas Roth Retinal Fusion for my supersensitive skin.

on 1/28/2010 2:31:00 PM

Avene Retrinal saved my skin.
I have fair, sensitive rosacea skin. It took about a year using this mild formula, my skin can't take strong retinols. But it was worth the wait. I still use .5% 2 nights on 1 night off, but may consider going up to .1%. If you want something that won't irritate ,but will exfoliate slowly, this is it.

on 8/11/2009 10:29:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I am 45 years old with very oily and acne prone skin. I was starting to get fine lines under my eyes and began using the .1% retrinal about three weeks ago. Let me tell you....this is a miracle product because those lines have diminished so much that they are nondetectable! My skin is as smooth as can be and blotches are diminishing. I am constantly getting compliments on "smooth" complection. I make sure to use it nightly and do not have any irritation. The tube should last about 3 months which puts the cost at about $20 per month--the best money I've spent on myself!

on 2/7/2009 2:41:00 PM

I'm using the .1% Retrinal about 2x a week, and it is working well at smoothing out my lines, and improving my blotchy skin's texture. I was a devoted user of the dc'ed Avene Ystheal Gel. I love and miss that one! I never had irritation, and had perfect skin, even w/ the low % of retinaldehyde in it. The Retrinal is not quite as good, but is the closest I've found. (Never tried Rx retinoids, not ready to deal w/ daily irritation.)

Other Avene formulas didn't work for me. (Ystheal & lotion, and Eluage gel .05... both = clogged pores, with no effect on my skin's texture.) The .1% Retrinal works on my lip and eye fine lines, and my forehead wrinkles are less noticeable. Overall skin texture is a little smoother. This doesn't feel heavy, and hasn't clogged my pores. I get mild dryness a day after using it, but some of that is due to the cold winter weather. I sometimes mix this with PC Antioxidant Serum or Vanicream. Using it this way, I've never had irritation or redness. Biggest complaint is the price. I got it online for about $45, but I see it going for $55-$65 in other places. I will buy it again... grudgingly. A little tube lasts a long time, but that's just ridiculous.

on 9/25/2008 12:57:00 PM

I am one of those unlucky folks who cannot tolerate prescription retinoic acid...YET. I finally broke down and got the mildest concentration of retinaldehyde in the Retrinal cream, 0.025%. I just got this product so I will be back to tell about the long-term usage. But I wanted to note that my very acneic skin has not had any clogged pores from this, and I've had no peeling, redness, or sensitivity. This is amazing because RAM and Retin-A both tore my skin all to hell. I am SO stoked that I can use this! I intend to get the stronger percentage each time I run out of a tube, and then move on to Diacneal...hopefully by then my skin will be able to handle it. Wish me luck!

**edit: I have used a 0.025, and a .5 tube with fantastic results. No breakouts, and my skin looks younger and smoother. I am waiting on my next tube to arrive, in the highest concentration. After I use that, I'll move on to Diacneal.

***UPDATE: I am now using the .1% and no problems with sensitivity. I am really hoping that eventually this will have my skin prepared for going on some mild Rx like Differin. Wish me luck :)