Eau Thermal Avene Retrinal

Eau Thermal Avene Retrinal

4.2

INGREDIENTS: Water (aqua), Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum), Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-100 Stearate, Squalane, propylene Glycol, Glycol Montanate, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, BHT, Butylparaben, Carbomer, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Prolylparaben, Red 33 (CI 17200), Retinal, Triethanolamine

The Avene Retrinal 0.1 Intensive Cream was only the second product I've ever tried from this brand so I wasn't quite sure what to expect, especially since the only other product I'd tried was their Thermal Spring Water. I was quite pleasantly surprised by the Avene Retrinal, which is their retinol cream, that they have in two different strengths. This 0.1 is the stronger of the two; their other version is .05 Retrinal Intensive Cream. I loved the consistency of this in that it is a cream that is also hydrating and give skin some good antioxidants, vitamin e, and also a few peptides. I love that this is fragrance free (and also paraben free for those looking to avoid them). I would definitely purchase more from the brand. It is a little expensive but not outrageously so. My video review can be seen here:

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

I have been using RetrinAL 0.05 for almost 3 months now, and it is superb. The first retinol product I've ever tried. I'm 35, have dry, sensitive skin prone to rosacea and redness. A lot of things like harsh cleansers, SLS, and most acids give me instant rosacea outbreaks. But, since I had never tried retinol, I was curious to try it and settled on Avene because of good reviews and because my experience with the brand was pretty good. Their products seem well-designed for sensitive skins, even though they use a lot of petrochemicals. Almost everything I've tried, with only one exception, was well tolerated on my skin. So... the RetrinAL 0.05. I just use this on every 3rd night, to minimize any potential reaction. I've also read that you don't need to use retinol more than 3 times a week in your 30s. I had no weird peeling / redness reaction at all, although I think maybe after the first or second week, my skin felt slightly more sensitive than usual. That faded, and now I look forward to using this cream, because it means that I'll wake up with radiant skin. It shrinks pores, smooths the surface, and gives that glow that we all want. This is probably the best cream I've ever used, tbh, because it is quantifiably doing something. I love it and think it was worth the money. I use the matching eye cream too.

on 6/8/2015 11:03:00 PM

I was running out of my last tube of non-USA purchased retin-a and I was researching on what to do next as I just did not want to pay USA prescription prices for retin-a. With help from the skin board (thank you) I decided to try this. I was kind of hoping it would not work as it is not cheap but I have to say I will be buying it again. My skin is looking clearer (sun spots mainly) and I really think this is doing a great job with my fine lines. I have tried over the years to use the highest non-prescription retin-a like products (ROC, Neutrogena) but this ones blows them away. It is not very moisturizing so I use it about 4 time a week with a couple nights off. I am not fond of the consistency - it comes out in a skinny thread of product from the bottle and is not super easy to blend in my skin (much like my retin-a) but it has been one of the most effective, over-the-counter treatments for my signs of again I have eve tried.

on 9/11/2013 11:30:00 PM

I started using this when I got a free sample, Avene is my favorite for skin care. I've used a lot of different products for aging & hands down this has worked the best. down side is the cost, but I've found great deals on eBay & Amazon. Also I find a little goes a long way. I've used several Avene products for wrinkles & fine lines for about a month a see a nice difference! I've read people say give it a couple months to get best results & that's what I'm doing. I'm 41 and realize I'll never look 20 again but to improve my skin appearance is worth the money.

on 4/29/2013 10:29:00 AM

RESEARCH:
I've been researching retinoid-based creams for months now. I chose this one because it seems to be the highest effective functionalization (aldehyde) before you go to prescription-strength (acids). FYI, the retinol in CVS products like ROC is an alcohol. For a comprehensive list, check here:

SKIN:
I have fair skin which tends to be sensitive, dry and prone to hormonal acne, large pores, white heads with a dash of KP around the cheeks. It is virtually impossible for me to find a product that will not aggravate anything and I find that my skin behaves better if I just cleanse it with warm water and nothing else! Retinoid is something I haven't tried yet so I felt hopeful - since there are very few main chemicals that I haven't tried yet - only thing that my face and body can deal with was benzyl peroxide (4%) once a month, everything else either doesn't help or makes things worse.

PURCHASE:
Avene was a little was a little difficult to find since it is one of those "available through spas" products. After a bit of search, I settled on getting it from http://www.dermstore.com/ which shipped it promptly with a couple of freebies thrown in. I bought the 0.05%.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS:
A week before my Avene arrived, I received a free sample from Sephora of a DERMAdoctor Physical Therapy exfoliator (still in search for something other that water to clean my face with). http://www.dermadoctor.com/best-sellers/physical-chemistry-facial-microdermabrasion-multiacid-chemical-peel.html
Miraculously, it did not irritate my skin (I've tried other high-end scrubs and my face turns red) and I was pleased with the results.

I used the scrub before my first application of Avene. To apply use a pea amount and dab around the face. Then work it in. About 4 days later, I repeated the scrub and Avene. I did this at night. The cream absorbs immediately, leaving skin soft.

RESULTS WEEK 1:
No unusual breaking out. My cheeks which were bumpy are incredibly soft, I can't stop touching them! The pores around the nose look less dark but the whiteheads are still there. Flakiness around week-old zit scars is gone too.

RESULTS WEEK 3:
I continue to use this every 3 days and it seems to be clearing out the pores nicely. A little push with a nail and most of the clogs slide right out. I had a break out on the chin but it lasted only about half the time it usually lasts. The Kp-like bumps around the cheeks seem to be gone for good now. Time to start using this every other day and look into getting a good night cream.

RESULTS WEEK 5:
So the much anticipated "retinoid purge" has arrived. This is a mixed blessing. On one hand pores that were so deeply clogged and closed that it's become a permanent feature on the face all of a sudden opened up. Again, I had to use mechanical means but the sebum was very hard and slipped right out (sorry, being a bit graphic here). On the other hand, it feels like there is gunk perpetually oozing out of my skin and it's making the foundation look strange and flaky. I stopped using foundation for a while and switched to Juice Beauty CC Cream. The scrub definitely helps here. Find something gentle enough that you can use every day. Any agitated pores heal within a day so despite the retinoid reaction, it still seems like the skin is better now than it was before.

Love love this stuff in spite of the price. Per the skb, this is the strongest OTC retrinol product on the market. I had previously used Eluage and w/ my advancing years (ok, mid 40s), I wanted to bump things up and this is the strongest version Avene makes. (PS - there is a wonderful article comparing the different retrinol versions/products if anyone is interested = PM me. I am not affiliated, I just found it informative!

I can use this stuff nightly, but I alternate w/ other items to save on $$. I have had no skin irritation, redness (in spite of the fact I have mild rosacea) or breakouts. It definitely helps my skin's appearance - I do have folks tell me I do not look my age and whilest I know a lot of that has to do w/ other factors (genes, environmental, other tx I use), I myself notice a difference when I stop using for a while = this is and will continue to be one of my main weapons in my anti-aging arsenal.

on 8/24/2012 5:16:00 PM

I have recently switched from this, to retin-a micro.. and recently tried it again, and man this stuff is great. I'd almost say it's better than retin-a. You might get some acne flair ups, but you also get that with retin-a when you first start using (first few weeks or so.)

If you cannot get a prescription, this is the best stuff to get. Get through the first odd week or two, and believe me, your skin will be great. Use only at night, and use a Vitamin C serum in the day, with a sunblock (preferably spf 50 or higher) and you have yourself a fountain of youth that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

It closed large pores, it cleaned up my acne after a few weeks, evened skin tone, smooth soft skin, and it makes you glow (even more with vitamin c) and is well worth the cost.

Skin: Dry, Dark, Warm

I use this at night along with my Revlon Eterna 27 cream with Progenitin, the most effective moisturizer I've found. Because the Revlon is old school from the 1960's, I like to drop some "science" with it. So under it I use the Avene Retrinal 0.1, SkinMedica Retinol Complex (also gentle but less heavy duty), or Kinerase C8 Peptide. The Avene is an extremely gentle and effective retinol cream. I have tried La Roche Posay and ROC versions of retinol creams, but find this Avene version to be superior in terms of gentleness. It does as an effective job at reducing fine lines and brightening. I am able to put it around my eye area without it burning. I like that I can enjoy the benefits of this cream under my eyes.

on 8/6/2011 3:53:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

HG stuff so far.
Thanks to med school and residency, i grew my first noticable grey hairs and naso-labial folds. :( i missed my baby face. LOL i've always applied spf 30+ sunscreen since my mid 20's and still manage to obtain few sunspots and wrinkles here in FL.
anyway, after doing research on effective anti-aging creams for skin, retinal and its derivatives are the scientific proven way to slow or control life's aging process topically. So i decided to get this.
After few months of usage of avene .1% retrinal, i notice my face more smoother, radiant than before. skin looks plumper.
after several months of usage (say over 4 months or more), i notice my less obvious sunspots (woohooo!) and naso-labial wrinkles are eh, not so much improvement. :( yes, they are still there and very stubborn and i know avene isnt the answer to it (treatment of choice for naso-labial folds: restyalane injection). there are times i notice my N-L wrinkles are making me look like a marionette puppet and there are times, i look like a 20 yr. old. LOL
i trully think proper hydration and healthy eating have alot to do on how ur skin looks overall....and i notice more hydrated i am, obviously a little less obvious that hated n-l wrinkle looks.
i think this is a great product. takes alot of patience to see results depending what u want to see. wrinkles will take months, and if deeper, probably very minimal minor noticable change to no change. Almost instant results in few weeks include: smoother, plump, evenly toned, radiant skin.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Pros:
It works for me (a staple have bought over 10 bottles in the past 3 years).
Form of Vitamin A that "gently" relaxes wrinkles.
Minimal Fragrance compared to the other lines
A little goes a long way.

Cons:
Price - was $64, (as of 7/2/2012 - now $69)
So little product for price 1oz.
Over the counter Retinol needs the help of prescription grade.