Eau Thermal Avene Retrinal

Filtered by age: 30-35
Eau Thermal Avene Retrinal

4.6

INGREDIENTS: Water (aqua), Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum), Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-100 Stearate, Squalane, propylene Glycol, Glycol Montanate, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, BHT, Butylparaben, Carbomer, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Prolylparaben, Red 33 (CI 17200), Retinal, Triethanolamine

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

I have been using RetrinAL 0.05 for almost 3 months now, and it is superb. The first retinol product I've ever tried. I'm 35, have dry, sensitive skin prone to rosacea and redness. A lot of things like harsh cleansers, SLS, and most acids give me instant rosacea outbreaks. But, since I had never tried retinol, I was curious to try it and settled on Avene because of good reviews and because my experience with the brand was pretty good. Their products seem well-designed for sensitive skins, even though they use a lot of petrochemicals. Almost everything I've tried, with only one exception, was well tolerated on my skin. So... the RetrinAL 0.05. I just use this on every 3rd night, to minimize any potential reaction. I've also read that you don't need to use retinol more than 3 times a week in your 30s. I had no weird peeling / redness reaction at all, although I think maybe after the first or second week, my skin felt slightly more sensitive than usual. That faded, and now I look forward to using this cream, because it means that I'll wake up with radiant skin. It shrinks pores, smooths the surface, and gives that glow that we all want. This is probably the best cream I've ever used, tbh, because it is quantifiably doing something. I love it and think it was worth the money. I use the matching eye cream too.

on 4/29/2013 10:29:00 AM

RESEARCH:
I've been researching retinoid-based creams for months now. I chose this one because it seems to be the highest effective functionalization (aldehyde) before you go to prescription-strength (acids). FYI, the retinol in CVS products like ROC is an alcohol. For a comprehensive list, check here:

SKIN:
I have fair skin which tends to be sensitive, dry and prone to hormonal acne, large pores, white heads with a dash of KP around the cheeks. It is virtually impossible for me to find a product that will not aggravate anything and I find that my skin behaves better if I just cleanse it with warm water and nothing else! Retinoid is something I haven't tried yet so I felt hopeful - since there are very few main chemicals that I haven't tried yet - only thing that my face and body can deal with was benzyl peroxide (4%) once a month, everything else either doesn't help or makes things worse.

PURCHASE:
Avene was a little was a little difficult to find since it is one of those "available through spas" products. After a bit of search, I settled on getting it from http://www.dermstore.com/ which shipped it promptly with a couple of freebies thrown in. I bought the 0.05%.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS:
A week before my Avene arrived, I received a free sample from Sephora of a DERMAdoctor Physical Therapy exfoliator (still in search for something other that water to clean my face with). http://www.dermadoctor.com/best-sellers/physical-chemistry-facial-microdermabrasion-multiacid-chemical-peel.html
Miraculously, it did not irritate my skin (I've tried other high-end scrubs and my face turns red) and I was pleased with the results.

I used the scrub before my first application of Avene. To apply use a pea amount and dab around the face. Then work it in. About 4 days later, I repeated the scrub and Avene. I did this at night. The cream absorbs immediately, leaving skin soft.

RESULTS WEEK 1:
No unusual breaking out. My cheeks which were bumpy are incredibly soft, I can't stop touching them! The pores around the nose look less dark but the whiteheads are still there. Flakiness around week-old zit scars is gone too.

RESULTS WEEK 3:
I continue to use this every 3 days and it seems to be clearing out the pores nicely. A little push with a nail and most of the clogs slide right out. I had a break out on the chin but it lasted only about half the time it usually lasts. The Kp-like bumps around the cheeks seem to be gone for good now. Time to start using this every other day and look into getting a good night cream.

RESULTS WEEK 5:
So the much anticipated "retinoid purge" has arrived. This is a mixed blessing. On one hand pores that were so deeply clogged and closed that it's become a permanent feature on the face all of a sudden opened up. Again, I had to use mechanical means but the sebum was very hard and slipped right out (sorry, being a bit graphic here). On the other hand, it feels like there is gunk perpetually oozing out of my skin and it's making the foundation look strange and flaky. I stopped using foundation for a while and switched to Juice Beauty CC Cream. The scrub definitely helps here. Find something gentle enough that you can use every day. Any agitated pores heal within a day so despite the retinoid reaction, it still seems like the skin is better now than it was before.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I bought this cream in the 0.1% strength. I am pushing 30 and I've started to notice slightly disturbing changes in my skin since my teens: larger pores on my cheeks (particularly the area closer to my nose) and worsening of genetic hyper pigmentation (think Lucy Liu freckles, except much lighter and just on the tops of my cheeks), some fine lines starting to develop but not much wrinkling. General coarsening of my skin: this I wanted to improve.

This cream has been delivering in all of the ways I had hoped for. My skin tolerates the concentration of retrinal and the formulation does not break me out. It is helping fade the horrendous breakout I developed when I tried Neutrogena Rapid Tone Repair: for some reason, the two times I've tried any of Neutrogena's products with the "Accelerated Retinol SA" I've ended up with the worst skin of my life, with NONE of the benefits Retrinal gives me.

I'd like to sum up by saying that if you want a cream in the $20 range, I recommend Neutrogena's Healthy Skin night cream with retinol. It's been around forever, and it is actually the reason I wanted to try a stronger vit A derivative: it gives me the benefits of Retrinal, albeit to a lesser degree.

To me, it's worth the $40-$60 for Retrinal. My skin has really improved quite a bit in the past month. I also experienced some purging for the first time in my life: I used to think cosmetic and cystic acne such as that which I got with Accelerated Retinol SA was "purging": it is not. It's not inflammatory pimples that are caused by purging: comedones start surfacing because the retrinal is working its' magic. When the comedones do happen to get infected, they create a minor surface pimple usually with the comedone visible at the surface of the skin.

Since Retin A micro (the only prescription retinoid I've tried) was much too irritating for me as a 22 year old, I'm not willing to risk the side effects again. For me, Retinal 0.1% is my new secret weapon (not a weak toy!), and I'm really excited about the upcoming months! One caveat to the whole Retrinal thing: I am experiencing mild irritation on my nose (esp from exposure to wind) and dryer skin. However, Cerave PM has solved that issue satisfactorily.

on 8/24/2012 5:16:00 PM

I have recently switched from this, to retin-a micro.. and recently tried it again, and man this stuff is great. I'd almost say it's better than retin-a. You might get some acne flair ups, but you also get that with retin-a when you first start using (first few weeks or so.)

If you cannot get a prescription, this is the best stuff to get. Get through the first odd week or two, and believe me, your skin will be great. Use only at night, and use a Vitamin C serum in the day, with a sunblock (preferably spf 50 or higher) and you have yourself a fountain of youth that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

It closed large pores, it cleaned up my acne after a few weeks, evened skin tone, smooth soft skin, and it makes you glow (even more with vitamin c) and is well worth the cost.

on 12/25/2011 1:53:00 PM

Pros:
-Calmed skin down after rosacea flare
-Improved skin tone

Cons: Clogged pores a little
-Not that effective in evening rough patches, eliminated clogged pores or acne ( thought it was clearing up some face pores ( it was, but not enough) however, I used it on my neck, where I never before used anything, and noticed that it had clogged pores)

Final thoughts:
-Great for non clog prone skin. I wouldn't use it if you have any acne
-Use Triacneal instead if you have any clogged pores.

I thought this was great until I bought a tube of triacneal, which was wayyyyy better. Immediately unclogged pores, improved rough patches, and somehow didn't make rosacea worse

on 2/7/2009 2:41:00 PM

I'm using the .1% Retrinal about 2x a week, and it is working well at smoothing out my lines, and improving my blotchy skin's texture. I was a devoted user of the dc'ed Avene Ystheal Gel. I love and miss that one! I never had irritation, and had perfect skin, even w/ the low % of retinaldehyde in it. The Retrinal is not quite as good, but is the closest I've found. (Never tried Rx retinoids, not ready to deal w/ daily irritation.)

Other Avene formulas didn't work for me. (Ystheal & lotion, and Eluage gel .05... both = clogged pores, with no effect on my skin's texture.) The .1% Retrinal works on my lip and eye fine lines, and my forehead wrinkles are less noticeable. Overall skin texture is a little smoother. This doesn't feel heavy, and hasn't clogged my pores. I get mild dryness a day after using it, but some of that is due to the cold winter weather. I sometimes mix this with PC Antioxidant Serum or Vanicream. Using it this way, I've never had irritation or redness. Biggest complaint is the price. I got it online for about $45, but I see it going for $55-$65 in other places. I will buy it again... grudgingly. A little tube lasts a long time, but that's just ridiculous.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I consider myself lucky to have found a great skin care clinic in my area. I noticed that they carried Avene products and I bought the Retrinal .05. I have finished the tube and can say that my skin looks better than it did 10 years ago. It helps with the prevention of fine lines and minimizes pores. I have always had oily skin in my t-zone, but I am dry around my cheeks and parts of my forehead. This has not caused me any trouble at all. Great stuff, I am moving on to the 0.1 next!!

This review is for the Retrinal .05%. This product was my introduction to retnoids. I initially couldn't decide if I should start with the .025% or the .05%, but after reading that the .05% is still quite gentle, I decided to go with that strength. I have combo skin, which tends to be dry in the winter and oily in the summer. I usually have at least 1 or 2 zits at any given time. The acne is mild, but it has been persistent. I started off using Retrinal every other night for about 2 weeks, and then every night. After another week or two without any adverse reactions, I started using PC's AHA gel first, and then applied Retrinal (in effect, I was making my own, weaker, version of Avene's Diacneal). I just reached the 2 month mark, and I can honestly say that my skin hasn't looked this good in years! I'm a huge skeptic when it comes to "miracle" anti-aging creams, but this has really worked. My skin is much smoother and brighter, some of my sun spots have faded considerably, and I have not gotten any new zits in about a month.

on 11/12/2006 11:19:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I bought this (.1%) on the recommendation of my dermatologist. I used it for a while and then for some reason just quit because I wasn't sure I was seeing a difference. Well, once I stopped, I knew immediately it was making a big difference because my skin was just so dull! I've been back on it for a couple of weeks now and I can't imagine not using it. I have very dry skin, so I use a moisturizer first and then layer the retrinal on top. It works like a charm. My face is so soft and radiant.

on 2/9/2006 10:45:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

From what I understand, Retrinal is similar to the Ystheal cream but lighter in texture, comes in varying strengths, and is marketed exclusively in the U.S. and Canada. (Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.)

I've been using Retrinal 0.025% for only a week now, so it's too early to comment on its anti-aging properties. What I want to comment on is how much I already love this stuff. I have super-oily/sensitive/acne-prone skin and have been through every drugstore retinol cream or serum, countless high and low-end glycolic concoctions and other so-called "anti-aging" beauty products, and have even recently experimented with Green Cream, to no avail, or complete disaster in the form of peeling, flaking, rawness, irritation, and/or aggravation of acne. I can always tell within a few days of use what sort of problems I'm in for and so far the Retrinal has been nothing short of fabulous. It is very light in texture, absorbs well, and has caused minimal irritation (sometimes my complexion looks slightly flushed). My skin looks smoother and more even-toned, pores are smaller, and my face is much clearer than usual. I experienced a little purging the first few nights, but the blemishes were gone by morning.

Retrinal contains retinaldehyde and comes in 0.025%, 0.05%, and .1% strengths. ***UPDATE*** One month in and I'm even more in love with this stuff! My skin is looking smoother than ever. My face actually looks airbrushed now when I'm wearing just a little powder and *no foundation*. This is a major coup for me!!