Filtered by skin tone : Tan

4.3

100 NATURAL CALCIUM BENTONITE (green clay)

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Who would have that a very simple clay mask sourced from 'Death Valley' could make such a difference? Twice a week I apply a thick layer of this on my face and wait until it's dried out before splashing with warm water and then removing with a damp wash cloth. Sure, my skin looks slightly irritated for 15 or so minutes but give it a couple of hours (or better still overnight) and my skin is at its very best. I follow with a sleeping mask such as PC Skin Recovery Mask which is ideal as no fragrance in it to irritate and locks in any moisture that's depleted after masking.

I mix with an equal part of ACV and water before applying and leave on for a maximum of 20 minutes. Have also tried with cold brewed green tea instead of ACV/water mixture and liked this equally as much if not more so. Pores are smaller, cleaned out and skin smoother too. Any acne seems to dry up in half the usual time. I would only use this if you're anywhere between normal to oily. Definitely wouldn't suggest for dry skin types unless you add honey to the mix but even then don't leave on for more than 5 minutes.

Also be aware that clay although great for puffiness is generally too drying (if left to dry out) to use around the eye area. If using there be sure to spray with a water mist or spritzer and keep it moist, otherwise if it dries out repeatedly every time you use, this could contribute to dryness and fine lines as skin is very thin around eyes. Had to mention as I've noticed some MUA reviewers are using around eye area and probably unaware.

Can't believe I've only just gotten around to using Aztec Secret clay mask now. I never imagined something so basic (it's literally 100% bentonite clay) could pack such a punch. A new staple in my skincare routine!

Selena x

~ My HG list ~

1. Hair Loss Treatment: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Hair Oil
2. Lip Balm: 'Nuxe' - Reve De Miel Lip Balm
4. Cleanser: 'Paula's Choice' - Skin Balancing Cleanser
5. Concealer: ‘Mac’ - Studio Finish Concealer
6. Lash Growth Serum: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Divinelash
7. Foundation/SPF: ‘Juice Beauty’ - Stem Cellular Repair (warm glow)
8. Face Scrub: ‘Sisley' - Botanical Gentle Buffing Cream
9. Moisturizer: ‘Antipodes' - Rejoice Light Day Cream
10. Hand Cream: 'Origins' - Make A Difference Rejuvenating Hand Treatment

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

I've been wanting to try this mask for a while after hearing all the good things about it. Normally I use Queen Helene or St. Ives, which both contain kaolin clay, so I already know it works. However, Aztec is 100% kaolin and contains no parabens or preservatives, and you mix it yourself with equal parts of either water or ACV. I already use ACV on a regular basis as a toner and it does wonders for cleaning out my pores and evening out my skin, so I assumed it would be even more effective mixed with kaolin. Oh boy, the reviews are right! This mask is powerful. You can really feel it cleaning your pores. It smells horrible, but then again so do Queen Helene and St. Ives, and that's how you know they work! The mask hardens after a few minutes, so much so that your face feels like it's covered in concrete, but it's a good feeling, especially around the eyes when you haven't slept well. The drying of the mask is what makes you feel like your face is "pulsating", and it just means that the clay is drawing out the gunk (bacteria, sebum, old makeup) from your pores. After a while, it will start to crack and your face will resemble the Salt Flats of Bolivia. But when you wash off the mask, you're left with baby-soft skin! Yes, your face will be red at first and you will have to moisturize, but the deep-cleaning action of the mask is what helps clear acne and reduce the size of your pores. I'm trying it also as a spot treatment for cystic pimples, since I know it works with the other masks I mentioned. Just dab a bit of tea tree oil on the pimple and cover with a tiny bit of this mask, leaving it on overnight. The oil will kill the bacteria and the clay will draw it out. It should be tame in the morning, no need for acne meds or harsh ointments!

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

For reference- my skin is normal with an oily T-zone at times. I don't think this mask lived up to the hype or at least up to all the glowing reviews on Amazon. Yes, it makes your skin pulsate, but aside from that it seemed average. It's pretty similar to other masks in terms of soaking up oil and maybe leaving your skin a little smoother afterwards but nothing exceptional. A personal preference- I decided I don't really like mixing with another ingredient (you can either use water or apple cider vinegar according to the package), it's just another step to deal with. I also don't like the smell of this stuff either. I don't need my masks smelling like flowers or anything, but this was a little too earthy and muddy for my liking so it definitely doesn't help the experience. I have a lot of it left and am looking to give it away, not worth it for me to keep.

on 4/25/2018 2:45:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I have had this for... a good six months or so now and I bought it with the intention of using it weekly. I was wanting it to help with my oily, acne-prone skin. At first, I used it weekly but because I am a lazy, I use it a lot less now which I think is actually better for me. I use it about every 2 weeks or once a month. I mix it with equal parts ACV and sometimes a small spoonful of manuka honey (which has antibacterial properties).
It was definitely a process to get the hang of how to use it in the most gentle way possible. I leave it on about 10 minutes just until it gets hard, and I remove it with a warm/hot washcloth. I tried washing it off with just warm water, washing it off with face wash, and the washcloth is what works best and is the least harsh on my skin.
I have noticed it reduce my active pimples, and it seems to reduce the appearance of my pores as well. I also feel my skin more plump afterwards. It also helps reduce my clogged pores.
For sure, I think it's too harsh for dry skin. It works for me, and I would repurchase it but the jar is so big that I don't see myself finishing it anytime soon.
I also have to note that I think the name of the product is cringe-worthy but not that it really matters.

on 3/3/2017 9:46:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

amazing product, I use this on my face and my back, I have back acne and over the years it left me with scars. I felt insecure about wearing anything that shows my back and I keep my hair long. I was breaking out badly at one point and had to do something so after hearing reviews I bought this and omg it's a god send. I use this with apple cider vinaged once a week on my face and back. I also use this clay mixed with yoghurt, honey, turmeric and leave it in the fridge and use it every second day on both my face and back for 20 minutes. I think the yoghurt helps clear my scars but now I have no more back acne and no pimples on my face. Now just waiting for my skin to repair itself. I'll have to try it in my hair and see how that goes.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Wow,no words to describe other than it really does the job!My skin feels clean and supple.Ever since i started using this clay mask i don't get breakouts as often as i used to. I strictly use this mask twice a week,and YES IT IS THE WORLD'S MOST POWERFUL FACIAL MASK! and BTW I use apple cider vinegar to mix the clay;half and half.

on 1/3/2017 3:21:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

tldr; no visible changes. No irritation for papulopustular rosacea, even using the apple cider vinegar.

I wanted to like this as it is highly recommended but it didn't really do anything for me. I mixed it according to the instructions with apple cider vinegar and applied as a mask. There was the tightening sensation as it dried. Washing this off was a B*TCH - it was simultaneously flaky and stuck on? I used a wet cloth in the end but it made such a mess that I am happy it didn't clog my drain (I was really worried tbh and you should keep hot water running in your sink while removing).

My skin immediately after felt very clean, in a dry, not pleasant way. My pore size remained unchanged (the most notable effect I've heard of). I think this may be an effective drying mask for those with acne prone skin, but since I don't suffer from that, I'm passing on it. My husband is using it (he has oilier skin than me) but he also doesn't think it's a miracle product.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Medium

Great product and makes loads of face masks for the fraction of the price of a store bought mask. The small tub lasts me about a year and I make face masks about twice a week (max.)

This mask helps to detoxify and clear my skin although I wish it could peel off but can't change what nature made lol

My recipe for a facial mask is
1 tsp clay (draws out toxins and increases blood circulation which helps bring nutrients to the skin)

1 tsp turmeric (to reduce inflammation and redness, too much can leave yellow tinge on skin but will easily come off with a facial wash, best done at night just in case)

3 capsules of charcoal or 1 tsp of charcoal (draws out impurities)

1/4 tsp camu camu powder (highest source of vitamin c in the world) or pinch of vitamin c powder (this helps to remove dead skin cells, exfoliate skin and increase collagen production)

1 tsp apple cider vinegar (removes dead skin cells and counteracts the alkaline pH of the clay), I often leave this out as the camu camu or vitamin c are acidic and so also balance the alkaline pH of the clay

(1/4 tsp oil, I use coconut oil because this mask can dry your skin out, but any oil or moisturiser you skin likes will work)

1 - 2 tsp water, its better to have a liquid consistency than too thick because a thick mask wont spread over the skin as well and a liquid consistency can get into the pores better and consequently get more out of your pores. If you try a liquid consistency you can see after it has all dried completely there are tiny dark circles on the surface of the mask where your pores are (there are pictures of this on google images as I can't explain it well). Basically these circles are where the clay has absorbed the impurities and excess oil in your pores, and my point is when you use a thick mask you can't see these circles so you won't know if its done. It doesn't mean a thick mask won't draw out impurities but at least with a thin mask you can see when its done.

Make sure the tea spoons aren't heaped and don't use metal utensils (bowl, spoon etc) because the clay can interfere with the metal and reduce the effectiveness of the mask. Your face make look red after using this because the clay increases blood circulation in the face, it will return to normal in about 20 minutes, its better to do this at night rather than wasting time by waiting for your face to return to normal in the morning. This mask is best followed up with a nourishing serum, oil or moisturiser as the clay can dry out skin temporarily.

This mask helps to clear my skin, exfoliate and make my skin look glowy, absolutely love it , you can also use the clay on your hair and there are many recipes out there.

Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay
I purchased this at Whole Foods and it was inexpensive, under $10 so I imagine it may be even less expensive elsewhere. This is natural. It works great. Super economical because you mix a small amount of the clay with water or apple cider vinegar. It lasts forever, I keep dipping into it, sometimes I even mix up too large of a batch, but my container doesn't seem to dwindle down much. My skin feels amazing after use. I recommend putting a layer across the skin on your face, neck, and maybe upper chest. I love that you can get an effective product at this low price-point. FYI > when it dries it cracks and it is difficult to remove. Use a very wet cloth or maybe wash off in the shower. You'll need to rinse/wipe several times, make sure you get all of it off. You will look "alienish" so warn your household you're doing the mask so you don't startle them.

on 10/26/2015 11:01:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Neutral

Hair: Other, Curly, Other

This stuff is absolutely amazing! I have never used any other acne product that works so quickly, so well, and is so affordable! Anyone who's struggled with acne knows you can spend a ton of money looking for something that works. If you're wondering whether or not to try this-- do yourself a favor and do it! 9 times out of 10 I would say it lives up to the hype. When I first started using this, I used it every night and it worked so quickly to dry up any blemishes and cystic acne I had. I noticed a difference after 1 use! As I continued to use it, my skin improved and I no longer needed to use it everyday. Sometimes when my skin is acting up I apply a thin layer on blemishes and leave on overnight. This leaves your skin soft but make sure to moisturize well as it could be drying. I use it with Braggs Apple cider vinegar and it works great. Someone on the sensitive side might wanna try using it with just water or a little bit of ACV diluted with water. This stuff is definitely worth a try. Whenever I use up the jar (it lasts a long time..I've been using the same har for 6 months and have barely made a dent in it) I will be repurchasing!