Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay

Filtered by eye Color : Brown
Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay

4.3

100 NATURAL CALCIUM BENTONITE (green clay)

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Who would have that a very simple clay mask sourced from 'Death Valley' could make such a difference? Twice a week I apply a thick layer of this on my face and wait until it's dried out before splashing with warm water and then removing with a damp wash cloth. Sure, my skin looks slightly irritated for 15 or so minutes but give it a couple of hours (or better still overnight) and my skin is at its very best. I follow with a sleeping mask such as PC Skin Recovery Mask which is ideal as no fragrance in it to irritate and locks in any moisture that's depleted after masking.

I mix with an equal part of ACV and water before applying and leave on for a maximum of 20 minutes. Have also tried with cold brewed green tea instead of ACV/water mixture and liked this equally as much if not more so. Pores are smaller, cleaned out and skin smoother too. Any acne seems to dry up in half the usual time. I would only use this if you're anywhere between normal to oily. Definitely wouldn't suggest for dry skin types unless you add honey to the mix but even then don't leave on for more than 5 minutes.

Also be aware that clay although great for puffiness is generally too drying (if left to dry out) to use around the eye area. If using there be sure to spray with a water mist or spritzer and keep it moist, otherwise if it dries out repeatedly every time you use, this could contribute to dryness and fine lines as skin is very thin around eyes. Had to mention as I've noticed some MUA reviewers are using around eye area and probably unaware.

Can't believe I've only just gotten around to using Aztec Secret clay mask now. I never imagined something so basic (it's literally 100% bentonite clay) could pack such a punch. A new staple in my skincare routine!

Selena x

~ My HG list ~

1. Hair Loss Treatment: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Hair Oil
2. Lip Balm: 'Nuxe' - Reve De Miel Lip Balm
4. Cleanser: 'Paula's Choice' - Skin Balancing Cleanser
5. Concealer: ‘Mac’ - Studio Finish Concealer
6. Lash Growth Serum: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Divinelash
7. Foundation/SPF: ‘Juice Beauty’ - Stem Cellular Repair (warm glow)
8. Face Scrub: ‘Sisley' - Botanical Gentle Buffing Cream
9. Moisturizer: ‘Antipodes' - Rejoice Light Day Cream
10. Hand Cream: 'Origins' - Make A Difference Rejuvenating Hand Treatment

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

I've been wanting to try this mask for a while after hearing all the good things about it. Normally I use Queen Helene or St. Ives, which both contain kaolin clay, so I already know it works. However, Aztec is 100% kaolin and contains no parabens or preservatives, and you mix it yourself with equal parts of either water or ACV. I already use ACV on a regular basis as a toner and it does wonders for cleaning out my pores and evening out my skin, so I assumed it would be even more effective mixed with kaolin. Oh boy, the reviews are right! This mask is powerful. You can really feel it cleaning your pores. It smells horrible, but then again so do Queen Helene and St. Ives, and that's how you know they work! The mask hardens after a few minutes, so much so that your face feels like it's covered in concrete, but it's a good feeling, especially around the eyes when you haven't slept well. The drying of the mask is what makes you feel like your face is "pulsating", and it just means that the clay is drawing out the gunk (bacteria, sebum, old makeup) from your pores. After a while, it will start to crack and your face will resemble the Salt Flats of Bolivia. But when you wash off the mask, you're left with baby-soft skin! Yes, your face will be red at first and you will have to moisturize, but the deep-cleaning action of the mask is what helps clear acne and reduce the size of your pores. I'm trying it also as a spot treatment for cystic pimples, since I know it works with the other masks I mentioned. Just dab a bit of tea tree oil on the pimple and cover with a tiny bit of this mask, leaving it on overnight. The oil will kill the bacteria and the clay will draw it out. It should be tame in the morning, no need for acne meds or harsh ointments!

on 10/13/2018 10:28:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Cool

Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine

This clay has been a staple in my beauty routine for many years. I mix a small amount with Apple Cider Vinegar and let it dry after I steam my face first.
Has a extreme tightening effect, pulls white head/black heads out and helps to heal acne. Once a week is best.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

For reference- my skin is normal with an oily T-zone at times. I don't think this mask lived up to the hype or at least up to all the glowing reviews on Amazon. Yes, it makes your skin pulsate, but aside from that it seemed average. It's pretty similar to other masks in terms of soaking up oil and maybe leaving your skin a little smoother afterwards but nothing exceptional. A personal preference- I decided I don't really like mixing with another ingredient (you can either use water or apple cider vinegar according to the package), it's just another step to deal with. I also don't like the smell of this stuff either. I don't need my masks smelling like flowers or anything, but this was a little too earthy and muddy for my liking so it definitely doesn't help the experience. I have a lot of it left and am looking to give it away, not worth it for me to keep.

I really don't understand all the rage over this mask. I bought it off of Amazon, thinking it would be some sort of miracle-worker from all the reviews I had read. I have dry skin, which is relatively sensitive, so I only kept the mask on for about 7 minutes on average. Before I started using this product, my acne was only prominent on my chin and a bit on my left cheek (which was getting better slowly). After using this mask for about 2-3 weeks, I started breaking out on my right cheek and forehead (which I had worked so hard to clear up!). Definitely do not recommend this mask for sensitive, dry, acne-prone skin.

on 4/29/2018 9:11:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Huh. My niece and I tried this out recently and I don't really see what the buzz is about.

You mix equal parts water with this clay powder, and all I have to say is that it's easier hand-whisking egg whites to stiff peaks than mixing water with this stuff. You'll get pellets of powder that refuse to make an even consistency.

With it on - I don't know? It feels like wet mud, which it basically is. After rinsing it off, my skin felt dry and tight - which isn't a plus for my already dry skin type. Definitely had to moisturize immediately after.

This product is skippable.

I read many good reviews of this product and they recommended to use this with ACV. I used it for the 1st time and it made my skin tight and itchy (plus) smell is awful. My mom and bro can't stand with that smell. ok leave it for a while. After mixing this clay mask with ACV and applied it on my face without eyes and lips area. I waited for to dry it out and then I washed it off with lukewarm water. After washing off, my skin was getting red. so, I applied loads of moisturizer and let my face then cool. I feel still confident bc a lot of people said that product works well on their skin. After one or two days, acnes are appeared on skin and my skin suddenly change to very oily skin. I won't recommend for this product if you are sensitive to clay mask or if you don't have any acnes or pores, try another mask. this one is really awful for me.

on 4/25/2018 2:45:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I have had this for... a good six months or so now and I bought it with the intention of using it weekly. I was wanting it to help with my oily, acne-prone skin. At first, I used it weekly but because I am a lazy, I use it a lot less now which I think is actually better for me. I use it about every 2 weeks or once a month. I mix it with equal parts ACV and sometimes a small spoonful of manuka honey (which has antibacterial properties).
It was definitely a process to get the hang of how to use it in the most gentle way possible. I leave it on about 10 minutes just until it gets hard, and I remove it with a warm/hot washcloth. I tried washing it off with just warm water, washing it off with face wash, and the washcloth is what works best and is the least harsh on my skin.
I have noticed it reduce my active pimples, and it seems to reduce the appearance of my pores as well. I also feel my skin more plump afterwards. It also helps reduce my clogged pores.
For sure, I think it's too harsh for dry skin. It works for me, and I would repurchase it but the jar is so big that I don't see myself finishing it anytime soon.
I also have to note that I think the name of the product is cringe-worthy but not that it really matters.

on 4/24/2018 7:39:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

firstly, the packaging is sturdy and the price is fairly reasonable - $17 for 908g; you'd only need about less than 5g per usage too.

also, in case if you didn't know it is called the world's most powerful mask because it literally makes your face pulse (also when u wash it off expect ur face to turn red for a while), that's all.

how i used this mask was as directed - 1:1 ACV & this and i left it on for 15-20minutes.

THE REVIEW:

now, why two stars? initially i only wanted to give a star, but i realised that it has helped my forehead clear up almost instantly whereas very painfully broke my cheeks and temples out; i have never broken out this badly before, and i did this mask 2 times in a span of 3 weeks (once a week, rest one week, did it again on the third week) on two Sundays to confirm that this was the product that caused me to break out. note that my nose doesn't really break out and also my chin it's in its own world, nothing will cure the pimples but nothing would inflict more damage. so what happened to the affected areas??

THE GOOD - my forehead
this mask instantly cleared my forehead up (well, almost). what was on my forehead was those little pesky bumps that never goes away, i think loads of people understand what i'm saying. so if your problem is that, this mask is for you! however, note it's only for the multiple tiny tiny bumps.

THE BAD - my temples and cheeks
woah, if only i could insert a photograph on my cheeks. my cheeks are very prone to whiteheads and pimples but i don't get acne - if i do it's only during that time of the month where i will get around 3. if not on usual days it's just plenty of whiteheads that will never come out; these bumps are like the ones on my forehead but a lot more bigger and irritating and they really make my face look extremely dirty under light. i have hyper pigmentation on my cheeks as well as some pimples but nothing too serious. for my temples, i have hyper pigmentation, whiteheads and though not all the time but pimples there too.

so now that i have described my skin issues (FYI i have oily, fair skin and i'm 17 for those who are curious) if you have these issues i would recommend you to stay far far away from them. but that's up to you of course hahaha

what happened was after the mask as said my face was red and just like every other mask your face would feel clean. however at night (i applied it in the afternoon) i noticed my face breaking out and in the morning it was so bad. i had ACNE on my cheeks and it hurt sooo bad, my hyper pigmentation become extremely red - redder than ever and i grew even more whiteheads! my skincare after the mask was toner and moisturiser btw so nothing too crazy but enough to supply back what was lost in my skin after the mask. i grew pimples as well. it's just so bad. however i'm letting my skin rest and it's healing already so that's good (i used a cotton pad face cleanser).

so yes, to conclude:

buy this if your problems are those little pores that are clogged (oh i forgot to mention my forehead doesn't get acne or pimples but whiteheads are possible)

if not, don't bother

thanks for reading, let me know if this review was helpful ❤️

on 4/5/2018 2:00:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I use this to make masks for my family's skin and hair. I have natural hair as does my daughter but my son and fiancée use it as well. The hair mask I make using this clay (with water, apple cider vinegar, and a variety of oils - castor, jojoba, almond, and avocado) leaves the hair super moisturized. I have very sensitive skin so I haven't used it on my face but my children and fiancée have and they love it. I would recommend the hair mask for anyone with dehydrated hair. Use it once to twice a week for best results and you will see a change in the way your hair looks and feels.