Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay

Filtered by eye Color : Blue
Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay

4.3

CALCIUM BENTONITE (green clay)

on 11/4/2017 11:19:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

This is a nice mask: cheap and effective! I wouldn't repurchase because I literally do not think I will ever finish this tub. I mix this with equal parts powder and apple cider vinegar (smells horrid) but this dries quickly to the point where my face won't move. I scrub this off with a washcloth and my skin is left smooth and squeaky clean, as well as donning what looks like a fresh sunburn. I don't think this really DEEP cleans the pores (nothing will touch the ones on my nose) but my skin does feel nice and smooth afterwards. My skin has stayed relatively clear, but I'm not sure I can attribute that entirely to the mask but more so to the creams and serums I apply afterwards. I think this is too harsh to use daily, so I normally try and use it twice a week or so. Overall, a good buy for a good price.

on 9/7/2017 12:12:00 PM

This is a powerful mask and I don't recommend it to the most sensitive of skins. When I started using it, I had very durable skin and I thought this was definitely on the strong side.

The price is great and it definitely gives your skin a good clean. I like how it stimulates the blood flow on your face. I almost used to use it as a good exfoliator because it leaves your skin very smooth afterwards, like it's taken away the top layer of dead skincells. I would then use another mask (the Elemis Lavender Repair Mask) and I felt like it sunk much better into the skin and calmed my face down even more.

However, I wouldn't say it does miracles. It did not cure my acne - I actually hardly noticed any difference on the spots and actually worried that this mask was agitating them even more. It did not make all my blackheads disappear. Maybe it made a slight difference, but nothing noticeable and nothing like what a good BHA does to my skin. I would also be cautious to have it on for too long as it can cause whiteheads to rise to the surface. Before using this, my forehead wasn't one of my problem areas, but because I had this mask on for too long (around 20 minutes until it dried), my forehead became really spotty and the only thing that calmed it down was tea tree oil.

These days I only use it on my nose if I want a good spring cleaning on my nose.

on 4/27/2017 2:28:00 PM

Ok, I've used this for about a month now so I figured it was time to review.

I have combination non-reactive skin and get random zits/hormonal acne. With the use of this (currently every third day), I have noticed that my pores on my cheeks and nose absolutely look smaller and it seems to have helped reduce the appearance of random whiteheads. It is slowly seeming to even my complexion out a bit, which is more than I can say for most of the chemical peels I've tried and pretty much everything else under the sun. It's not something sudden, at least for me, but it's a very gradual process that does seem to be getting better with time.

I mix with ACV only, which doesn't seem to irritate my skin, which I know others had problems with. One of the tips I read on amazon was that when you go to remove it, put a warm heated washcloth over your face for about 30 seconds to loosen the clay, then use that to gently rub the mask off. Let the washcloth dry out overnight and crackle the clay out in your grass or whatever, so you don't get it down in your drain, then wash it like normal. Works like a charm! Also, I use the super soft baby washcloths instead of regular ones because they're gentler on my skin.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

First, I should have done my homework in advance before I purchased this product. It's made of the same clay as cat litter!!! Ugh. Allegedly, it's the best reviewed product on Amazon, but the reviews are fake. Anyway, here is a funny article I found on this stuff and company. Who doesn't have a computer these days?

on 3/2/2017 2:57:00 PM

I have sensitive combination skin and am constantly trying new products to find "the one" to help with problem areas and still hydrate my dry, flaky areas. I purchased Aztec Secret a while back because of all the amazing reviews and because I believe in all natural products. First off, in order for it to work you need to combine it with Apple Cider Vinegar and secondly, it gets messy! Although my skin felt clean after, it was very drying and made my flaky areas even worse. It also has an unpleasant smell that I had a problem with. Facials are supposed to be healing, fresh, like a DIY at home spa treatment. No secret here, I think you get what you pay for which is a cheap product touting amazing results that wasn't a winner for me.

Hair: Red, Straight, Coarse

I've used this as a face mask before, mixed with vinegar (I've also tried it with water, but it didn't mix very well. Vinegar works much better). I didn't really notice any chance for better or worse in my skin, though the tingling feeling while it was drying was kind of cool. I tried it on my teen daughter's acne-prone skin as well, and it didn't seem to help her out any and she did NOT care for the aforementioned tingling feeling.

So why would I give this stuff five lippies? Because last summer, I was eaten alive by sand fleas while vacationing at the beach. You heard me. Sand fleas. I was in hell, covered with itchy bites EVERYWHERE after lying in the sand all day. Apparently I'm particularly sensitive to the little bloodsuckers, too, because the bites swelled up terribly (mosquito bites do the same thing on me). I tried the usual topical anti-itch treatments and Benadryl, but nothing worked for long. I yearned for the sweet release of death. I was still in absolute misery when we got home, and it was by pure chance that I saw my jar of Aztec clay in the bathroom while I was desperately rummaging around for something else to try to relieve the intense itch.

I made up a batch of mask and slathered it on my bites. I can't describe in detail the relief I experienced on a family friendly website. But you can use your imagination. What was most incredible was the relief LASTED, even after I finally rinsed the stuff off. The bites shrunk, the swelling went down like magic, AND the itching was relieved for HOURS. It did take a second application the next day, but that was all it took. I could have been saved days of suffering if 1) I had been aware that sand fleas were A Thing on that particular beach, and/or 2) if I'd had that jar of Aztec clay on vacation.

So forget zits. BUG BITES. I've since tried it on mosquito bites as well. They look like red mountains on me, but Aztec clay knocks 'em out quickly. I love you, Aztec clay!

on 9/23/2016 7:56:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Let's start with what this mask isn't; it's not a pamper mask, something to throw on when you want to have a relaxing time. It's not something you should put on if you want to snack on something while wearing the mask . Lastly, it's probably not a mask you should start your day with, or do right before you're planning to be out the door. Why? Because chances are you will look a little bit like a red panda when it washes off.

I will admit that the name of the product pared with the claim to be the "world's most powerful facial" made me want to roll my eyes at this product while reluctantly feeling intrigued by it. The slogan for the product is "feel your face pulsate", and the first two or three times I used it, I really did experience that! It was a little concerning and a lot cool. For some reason I didn't get such a reaction to it after the first few times (could my skin have gotten used to it?), but it still gets my blood pumping like nothing I've ever put on my face before. The first time I washed it off I was worried about the redness, thinking it was a bad reaction or signs of my skin being irritated. But the clear difference between my normally pale white skin on the areas where I hadn't put any mask and the areas that had been covered by the mask made me realise that wow, that's the blood circulation kicking in full force! Hence the panda look with pale skin around my eyes, and red all over the rest of the face. For this reason I like to do this mask in the evening. Turns out the red pandas pull off the look better than I do. I also like to do it before I hit the shower, since it can be a bit tricky to remove. By letting warm water and steam soften up the mask a bit you don't have to rub quite so hard to remove it.

In the beginning I just mixed the powder with water (rather than water + vinegar like the instruction suggests), and I found it hard to mix it into an even paste. There were clumps that I couldn't get to mix with the water that would sit weirdly on the skin when applied to the face. The first time I used a mix between water and apple cider vinegar I had to laugh at myself for trying all these different utensils and techniques in order to defeat those lumps - add a little vinegar and you'll have a chemical reaction (ish? Not a chemist!), some foaming going on and then you have a completely smooth and almost mousse like paste that easily spreads on the skin. I like to use a brush to apply the mask, more specifically a flat foundation brush from ecotools that I never use for its intended purpose anyway. Whatever you use, remember to not use any metal utensils as that alters the clay and makes it less effective.

After I've used this mask I like to put the most soothing face products I have on my face. I've never woken up with skin that is still red, and while I can't tell if it's thanks to that extra care, I figure it can't hurt either way.

I use this mask quite sparingly, and somewhat irregularly. I use it when my skin feels troubled, when I get these "not quite acne but surely something" type of stubborn bumps around my chin area, when my skin is going through some type of change, or when it's just breakout city. And somehow this just solves a lot of those problems! It's like your skin go through a deep cleanse with this mask, but without an awful purging phase where it has to get worse before it gets better. The first few times I used this I wasn't all that impressed with the results, especially after hearing all the rave about this product. It took me a while to get what the fuss was all about, but then it hit me; I think this mask's brilliance is just a lot more subtle than what I'm used to. It's not one of those flashy products that give you all these spectacular, eye-catching but temporary perks. It might not brighten and tighten (though physically it does, damn it feels tight when it's dried!) and color correct and a thousand different things - but it works on the basics. Getting impurities out and helping the skin out by increasing the blood circulation.

Personally I wouldn't use it more than two times a week, possibly just once a week. And if you have sensitive skin, I'd be careful with this to begin with. I do think it could work even on sensitive skin, but maybe be careful with the amount of vinegar you mix it with (could be a good idea to start out with more water than vinegar), try it out on the inside of your arm before your face and see how your skin reacts, do a thin layer the first time, don't leave it on for longer than 10 minutes etc. Just test the waters a bit.

+ Cruelty free
+ No weird, nasty chemicals or long ingredient lists - it's just clay
+ It says that it'll last you for 15 masks, which is just ridiculous. It'll last you way, WAY longer than that! I must've used it 15 times by now, and I accidentally make too large of a batch every single time, and I've not even gone through a third of the tub. Hence:
+ A really affordable product
+ It won't go bad anytime soon, since it's a dry powder product
+ Shortens the time it takes to heal out my hormonal or stress-related breakouts
+ Can be used for treating individual spots or specifically acne prone areas! Whenever I get these painful, almost cystic type of acne I like to mix a little powder and water in the palm of my hand and apply directly onto the area. The next day I can see a clear improvement and the time it takes to heal out is significantly shorter.
+ Can easily be tweaked to fit your skin's need. Apple cider vinegar, white wine vinegar, tumeric, tea tree oil, rose water.. The list goes on.

- Takes a little work to remove - you must let it soften with warm water before you can attempt to remove it
- I'm reaching here, but I guess it's a little bit painful when it's dried and it pulls your skin tight as f***

on 8/17/2016 5:32:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

My oily peri menopausal skin was driving me nuts then I discovered this angel in a pot. I can honestly say my skin has never looked better (sans the wrinkles of course.) To get the true benefits it must be mixed with ACV. It dries down to a rock solid consistency on the face giving a "pulsing" sensation as it does - this is normal. I leave in on for 30 mins (can't take any more than that) then simply rinse it off. Top tip - dampen the mask with water before trying to remove otherwise it can smart! I have spent ££££££ on face masks etc & this is by far the best, and the cheapest. Highly recommend this.

on 6/26/2016 7:18:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

So I have been using this around two years now. I love it it's great and does exactly what it says on the tin. Completely clean skin although i find it does dry the skin quite a bit and is a little harsh so now I'm having a break from it for a while and will probably order again soon.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I love this stuff! It's dirt cheap for how much you get and how effective it is. I have very dry, acne-prone skin with larger pores and many acne scars. I use this product with water for a weekly face mask and I'd have to say it's my HG skincare product. It itches when you put it on, but for me that's tolerable for the results you get. It gives your skin that tight, clean feeling but I know it's safe because it doesn't use any basic soaps. Also, for me it seems to melt away (?) my dry patches when I rinse this off. Any flaking skin I have (usually due to acne drying creams) turns to a white mush when I splash my face with water, and then rubs off easily with a soft washcloth. This stuff is pure magic. I've been using it for 3 months now and my skin has never been so smooth and hydrated looking. It doesn't help or hurt my acne, as I have found.