Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay

Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay

4.2

Price: $

Price: $

100 NATURAL CALCIUM BENTONITE (green clay)

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Who would have that a very simple clay mask sourced from 'Death Valley' could make such a difference? Twice a week I apply a thick layer of this on my face and wait until it's dried out before splashing with warm water and then removing with a damp wash cloth. Sure, my skin looks slightly irritated for 15 or so minutes but give it a couple of hours (or better still overnight) and my skin is at its very best. I follow with a sleeping mask such as PC Skin Recovery Mask which is ideal as no fragrance in it to irritate and locks in any moisture that's depleted after masking.

I mix with an equal part of ACV and water before applying and leave on for a maximum of 20 minutes. Have also tried with cold brewed green tea instead of ACV/water mixture and liked this equally as much if not more so. Pores are smaller, cleaned out and skin smoother too. Any acne seems to dry up in half the usual time. I would only use this if you're anywhere between normal to oily. Definitely wouldn't suggest for dry skin types unless you add honey to the mix but even then don't leave on for more than 5 minutes.

Also be aware that clay although great for puffiness is generally too drying (if left to dry out) to use around the eye area. If using there be sure to spray with a water mist or spritzer and keep it moist, otherwise if it dries out repeatedly every time you use, this could contribute to dryness and fine lines as skin is very thin around eyes. Had to mention as I've noticed some MUA reviewers are using around eye area and probably unaware.

Can't believe I've only just gotten around to using Aztec Secret clay mask now. I never imagined something so basic (it's literally 100% bentonite clay) could pack such a punch. A new staple in my skincare routine!

Selena x

~ My HG list ~

1. Hair Loss Treatment: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Hair Oil
2. Lip Balm: 'Nuxe' - Reve De Miel Lip Balm
4. Cleanser: 'Paula's Choice' - Skin Balancing Cleanser
5. Concealer: ‘Mac’ - Studio Finish Concealer
6. Lash Growth Serum: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Divinelash
7. Foundation/SPF: ‘Juice Beauty’ - Stem Cellular Repair (warm glow)
8. Face Scrub: ‘Sisley' - Botanical Gentle Buffing Cream
9. Moisturizer: ‘Antipodes' - Rejoice Light Day Cream
10. Hand Cream: 'Origins' - Make A Difference Rejuvenating Hand Treatment

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

For reference- my skin is normal with an oily T-zone at times. I don't think this mask lived up to the hype or at least up to all the glowing reviews on Amazon. Yes, it makes your skin pulsate, but aside from that it seemed average. It's pretty similar to other masks in terms of soaking up oil and maybe leaving your skin a little smoother afterwards but nothing exceptional. A personal preference- I decided I don't really like mixing with another ingredient (you can either use water or apple cider vinegar according to the package), it's just another step to deal with. I also don't like the smell of this stuff either. I don't need my masks smelling like flowers or anything, but this was a little too earthy and muddy for my liking so it definitely doesn't help the experience. I have a lot of it left and am looking to give it away, not worth it for me to keep.

I would never have found this stuff without reading about it on reviews on this site. Then, I looked at Acne.org (where it was reviewed highly) and Amazon (also reviewed highly)---there's a lot of consistency. Plus, I found it on Amazon for less than 10 dollars. For the tub you get, this will last you forever.

It does, after about 10 minutes for me, feel like its "pulsating." It also is extremely tightening---to the point that it is a little bit uncomfortable. The directions say to mix it with apple cider vinegar, which I do and do not find to be irritating (though a bit smelly). Organic, raw apple cider vinegar is best with the "mother" still in it as many reviews mention. I notice some reviews say it works with water as well but I have not tried that. I imagine it may be a bit more challenging to mix, as with the apple cider vinegar---it fizzes and makes it easier. Also, the directions say to keep this away from metals (with mixing or storage). I put it in a little plastic bowl and store with a wooden stick.

I was a bit concerned that it would be too drying based on some of the reviews. I have combination, acne-prone skin. I do sometimes get a bit of dry skin afterwards, but if you follow this up with jojoba oil (see the reviews for that with acne prone skin), you can get great results if you are prone to dry skin. It does lead my skin red as it warns that it might---due to increased circulation---so this is definitely best as a before bed kind of thing. The redness lasts a few hours for me.

This pulls everything to the surface---it's like having ultra powerful biore pore cleansing strips all over your face. Highly recommend.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

This mask a little bit drying for my face, so after use aztec mask i use mask sheet pearl or snail essence and in the morning my face look great, my face look glowing not dry or red, firm and smooth. But it didnt bring deep cyst acne to surface,,,

After countinously using this mask i see improvement in my pores, no more whitehead and blackhead.

on 7/1/2012 6:28:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

I bought this mask as a replacement for evanhealy's Green Tea Clay mask and it failed. First of all, the packaging is not very convenient, but most powdered masks are packaged in jars, except this big, bulky, plastic jar is not easy on the eyes like others. Second and most important, this clay is just a nightmare to prepare. I took about a teaspoon in the palm of my hand and added an equal amount of water to it. As I mixed, I noticed it began to clump up and ball into small dry clay bits so I added more water and it just became more and more clumpy but water-y. It was a mess and impossible to apply to my face. So I removed it with tissue and threw in the trashcan, as I read a reviewer mention it can clog pipes.
After using EH's Green Tea mask this not only pales in comparison, but fails to an ultimate low. I've never tried a powdered mask like this one. It was rather strange when it clumped up and became hard to dissolve for a creamy paste application.
So I would not recommend this mask.

Update: I've changed my rating for this mask because I now use it only with Apple Cider Vinegar and it works fantastic. I think the label states you can use it with water, but I do not think that's optimal as it clumps and does not spread easily. The ACV gives it a bit of an expanding, foamy action and the clay becomes easier to apply on face. Of course, like any clay, this can be a bit drying therefore, it is important to moisturize afterwards. I will use it more often when temps are higher, in the colder months I use Now Foods Moroccan clay. The big container makes this a very good value.

on 9/3/2011 5:40:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

First of all let me tell you I have very sensitive, acne prone, oily t zone skin,and mediocre pores. I have been battling acne/cystic acne for over 20 years. For the last 6 months I have been researching product for acne skin without all the synthetic stuff in it. I break out with almost all otc products. On youtube found alot of good reviews on this product and on MUA. So for the great reviews/ awesome cheap price/ nice ingrediant decided to get it.

I have been using Aztec Indian Healing Clay mask for about a month and a half and I have noticed these major differences...

1) pores are drastically smaller
2) pulls blackheads/whiteheads out or to the surfaces
3) skin looks/feels sooo much smoother
4) acne(regular pimples) is/are a little better (30 %)
5) when I have a pimple it does heal it alot faster
6) cystic acne gets dried up much faster, sometimes half the size
7) skin is soooo soft

I usually leave mask on for 30 mins then take a shower ( easier to take off ). Then I moisturize- one time I forgot and face was dry in the morning. Face is red for a little under an hour but that is nothing compared to the pros....

FYI- daily routine is as follows...
morning/night- face wash with st ives green tea cleanser
moisterizer with cetaphil
organic extra virgin olive oil around eyes

3x week- exfoliate with st ives green tea scrub or st ives apricot scrub for black heads

2x week- aztec mask with organic acv

I use organic extra virgin olive oil as a makeup remover and after face wash...

So far I like this product...I will see how is works after 6 months and if it keeps on working as it does with better results I will probably buy again. I will try to update after New Years....

Hope some info works for someone else ;P

Update 8/23/13

LOOVE this stuff!!! Got my family using the mask now.

My daily routine has changed a little:

Face wash: St Ives Green Tea Scrub/ St Ives Apricot Scrub
Moisturizer/ Makeup Remover: Organic Virgin Coconut Oil

Mask I use once a month or when I get breakouts/acne

This is definately a HG in my cabinet Forever!!!!

This also works on bug bites & eczema!!!

on 10/23/2010 5:45:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Other, Other, Fine

A very good cleansing mask. I thought that it wouldnt pulsate, and people were exaggerating in their reviews - but it does! I didnt measure anything - just mixed half vineagar and a bit of water until it had a creamy consistency. The first time I applied, I used lots of it, and it dried very hard and was difficult to remove. The second time, I did a thinner application, it worked just as well, and rinsed off much easier.

I have been a faithful user of Queen Helene Mint Julep and Mud Mask - this will be added to the aresenal too. For those wanting to step up the suckling action, this is your pick. I also like that it will last forever - and you can customize your formulations to add more moisture/cleansing action with different ingredients.

on 9/30/2010 10:34:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium Brown, Warm

I have been using this clay as a mask off and on for at least ten years. It definitely gets the job done. I came check out the reviews today because I am considering using it as part of my MU routine to deal with my extreme oiliness (any suggestions?).

However, I'm reading some of the reviews with people giving their recipes for use and I want to caution first time users to think twice about using them. The clay itself is very strong and it can strip the skin when just used with water. That doesn't always happen but if you have never used it and haven't figured out how long to leave it on for the best results and comfort level, you could easily experience redness and irritation. Using just water limits the possibility of harsh reactions.

The side of package does suggest adding ACV and I have done that plenty of times. It works well. But along with removing toxins and debris, the mask exfoliates skin and adding ACV increases that effect. Including essential oils may cause even more discomfort.

I'm not saying not to use them but remember YMMV and just ease into it. The clay will work no matter what you mix with it. In addition to AVC and water, I have used turmeric (great anti-oxidant, anti-irritant), honey, yogurt, eggs, neem powder (excellent antiseptic, anti-bacterial), grapeseed oil and maybe one or two other things. Each has given me the results I was looking for. But I started slowly with just water and worked up.

on 7/20/2009 7:09:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I like using this with ACV...I have combination and sometimes dry skin and this mask has never dried out my skin and most clay based masks do. I use it once or twice a week for 20 minutes and it really cleans my skin out (blackheads), shrinks my pores and the pulsing is crazy weird, but good. My skin is red after I take it off, but the redness goes away in an hour. I have acne (along my jawline) and it helps with it...doesn't take it away =( It is really cheap and you get a ton, but the container is a little messy...that would be my only complaint about this. Otherwise it is great...great price and product.

on 11/24/2007 9:52:00 PM

I received this from a nice MUA'er, and I love it! First, I wash my face as usual. Then I mix the mask with just water, because my skin is so sensitive, and leave it on for 20 minutes. My skin feels wonderfully soft and deeply cleansed afterwards. I tend to get flaky skin, so I put jojoba oil all over my face after rinsing the mask off. This is a great weekly treatment mask for people with oily/acne prone skin like mine.