Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay

Filtered by skin type : Dry
Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay

4.1

100 NATURAL CALCIUM BENTONITE (green clay)

I really don't understand all the rage over this mask. I bought it off of Amazon, thinking it would be some sort of miracle-worker from all the reviews I had read. I have dry skin, which is relatively sensitive, so I only kept the mask on for about 7 minutes on average. Before I started using this product, my acne was only prominent on my chin and a bit on my left cheek (which was getting better slowly). After using this mask for about 2-3 weeks, I started breaking out on my right cheek and forehead (which I had worked so hard to clear up!). Definitely do not recommend this mask for sensitive, dry, acne-prone skin.

on 4/29/2018 9:11:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Huh. My niece and I tried this out recently and I don't really see what the buzz is about.

You mix equal parts water with this clay powder, and all I have to say is that it's easier hand-whisking egg whites to stiff peaks than mixing water with this stuff. You'll get pellets of powder that refuse to make an even consistency.

With it on - I don't know? It feels like wet mud, which it basically is. After rinsing it off, my skin felt dry and tight - which isn't a plus for my already dry skin type. Definitely had to moisturize immediately after.

This product is skippable.

on 2/19/2017 7:40:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

After trying so many prescription creams etc that didn't work for me I decided to go with a more natural alternative. I bought this after reading rave reviews basically everywhere. I have comedonal acne as in closed comedones, tiny bumps everywhere which are very difficult to get rid of. Many reviewers that had the same problem as me said that this has helped them get rid of it, and i figured it wouldn't hurt to try, but i was wrong.

I've used this quite a lot, I would say more than 15 times. I mix it with organic ACV (with the mother in it) so it turns into a paste like texture, I then leave it on for like 15-20 min, until it dries. The first times I've used this I kinda understood the hype, after washing the mask of, my face was red as a tomato, but after the redness faded my complexion looked so much better, my skin was more even, pores were smaller and I had somewhat of a glow afterwards. But as far as the closed comedones go it was a disappointment, maybe because my expectations were really high, I thought this would help clear them or at least draw them to the surface, but it didn't do any of that. I still kept using it though, maybe once or twice a week, I wanted to give it a fair chance, I thought maybe it requires more frequent uses to make a difference, I mean hundreds of reviews can't be wrong.

During the time I used this the most I noticed I was getting more and more closed comedones, so i started to cut products that I suspected, moisturisers, serums etc. I introduced a lot of new natural products at the same time which in hindsight wasn't the best. I didn't stop with the aztec mask right away, I really thought it couldn't be because of the mask, it was supposed to get rid of the bumps not cause them.

Anyways I stopped using everything basically, only using hemp seed oil as a moisturiser, after a while my closed comedones were slowly but surely getting better, I definitely wasn't getting any more of them. So at this point i decided to reintroduce the mask into my regimen (I still didn't think it could be causing the problems) and after a few days I noticed at least 10 more closed comedones on my chin and jaw area. So I think it is safe to say that this was the culprit. It unfortunately didn't work for me, personally. The cons definitely outweighs the pros, the closed comedones takes forever to go away and nothing seems to work to get rid of them. I gave the rest to my sister, she has a completely different skin type and it seems to work just fine for her. We are all different, just because it works for a lot of people doesn't mean that it will work for all people, unfortunately.

PROS:
inexpensive (5 dollars at iherb)
tightens my pores
brightens and evens out my skin tone
made my skin feel clean and smooth right after
lasts forever (I've used it a bunch of times and its still almost full)

CONS:
caused closed comedones on my skin
difficult to remove
made my skin really red after (fades after 30 min but still)
very drying (moisturising after is a must)
messy and can clog your drain
smells bad (not unbearable but not pleasant)
uncomfortable (pulsating feeling)

In conclusion, if you are prone to closed comedones beware, this might make your skin worse.

on 8/26/2016 5:43:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I was using this product several months ago and had great results. But as time goes by and new products are introduced it got pushed to the back of my closet in order to make room to try new things. I got very busy with life and trying to get the house ready to put on the market and forgot about Aztec Secret. Needless to say, my skincare routine suffered and my complexion showed the neglect. So today I reached for the Aztec Secret, whipped up a mask and remembered why I bought and used this in the first place.

I've tried many masks at different price points, but this one does exactly what I need it to do, which is to clear out my pores and make my skin feel clean, smooth and soft again.

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I recommend using aloe vera gel to mix with this clay if you dont want to use apple cider vinegar. The aloe vera gel also keeps the mixture smooth, unlike with water which doesnt allow it to spread well and turns clumpy. Even though I do not use this mask much anymore (I did this mask once a week), I used to mix it with aloe vera gel, ground oatmeal, and turmeric (these ingredients have lots of benefits such as helping inflammation and scarring, and is overall great for your skin). Also I stopped mixing the clay with apple cider vinegar because it gave me cystic pimples on my chin and also on my nose (which you could barely see, it just felt like I had a bruised nose. I was possibly just purging but I definitely do not have the patience to go through that.) Even though the mask felt really good with my mixture of aloe, oatmeal, and turmeric, it gave me rough patches on each side of my nose which did not go away for a month. I have stopped using the clay mask for my face because it was just too strong and did not really get rid of my blackheads either, just dried me out. I use this clay mostly for spot treatments and armpit detoxes now. (for the armpit detox, i mix this clay with apple cider and apply it to my armpits, this helps pull out all the toxins that are from deodorants. This probably sounds weird but search "armpit detox" on youtube for more info!)

This stuff is a godsend if you're trying to resurface your skin due to acne or damage from acne. It has an intense feel on your face but it's gentle enough for sensitive skin. After a few uses my slightly bumby combination skin had calmed down and my skin became more even. I recommend using this with a combination of apple cider vinegar (raw, unfiltered and organic) and water. Redness is normal but don't slack and leave this on too long or you will get some irritation. It's all about making this mask work for you and there are plenty of different recipes using this on the Internet. Love this stuff.

on 11/12/2015 5:57:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Neutral

My one holy grail beauty product. I am blessed to have good skin. I have never broken out and my complexion is even. Seldom has a beauty product impressed me because they never seem to make a difference. This is one of two or three beauty products that I have ever used that impressed me. I've been using it for 8 or so years and without fail it delivers results. Ideally I would use this mask 1- 2 times per month. When I slack on using it I can tell that my skin is just missing that tightness and glow. After using the mask, it's like I had a miracle facial. My skin just feels good. Before using the mask I rinse and scrub. I mix the mask with full apple cider vinegar and leave it on until completely dry (~20 minutes). Then I pick off any of the chunks so they don't clog my drain and rinse the remainder off in the shower. A little toner and some face oil and my skin is perfection.

Bonus - this stuff is ridiculously cheap and last forever. I think I had the small-sized container for 2 years before running out. I

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

To whatever reviewer, wherever it was, who suggested mixing the clay with the vinegar in a zip-lock: YES. So much easier. So much less mess.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I ordered one and was sent another in the mail for free, so I have a ton of this stuff for probably years to come. This is as intense as people say. I mainly wanted to see what it would do for my skin since it's similar to many spa masks. If you don't have acne prone, sensitive, or heavily congested skin then you can use a drop or two of lavender oil in it. I have to disagree with another reviewer. You can use essential oils on your skin. Take a good look at most French pharmacy brands and even USA skin care products. Many in your cabinet at home have essential oils in very low amounts. It depends on your skin. For me this just pulls all of the city gunk from my pores and gives a deeper clean, but I don't use it too often. Once a month or less is enough.

on 6/18/2015 1:29:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

Overall, this stuff is great! Best mask I've ever used. I mix 1 tablespoon of the mask with organic apple cider vinegar until it becomes the proper consistency (not too runny, not too thick). It's very creamy and goes on smooth. I leave the mask on for 45 min -1 hour. When it hardens, it HARDENS. You can't talk, eat, or move your face in any way. It does leave my face red after I wash it off, but it goes away after about an hour. This mask has made my face smooth and it helping to even out my skin town and fade my acne marks. Love it!