Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay

Filtered by skin type : Dry
Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay

4.2

CALCIUM BENTONITE (green clay)

on 2/19/2017 7:40:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

After trying so many prescription creams etc that didn't work for me I decided to go with a more natural alternative. I bought this after reading rave reviews basically everywhere. I have comedonal acne as in closed comedones, tiny bumps everywhere which are very difficult to get rid of. Many reviewers that had the same problem as me said that this has helped them get rid of it, and i figured it wouldn't hurt to try, but i was wrong.

I've used this quite a lot, I would say more than 15 times. I mix it with organic ACV (with the mother in it) so it turns into a paste like texture, I then leave it on for like 15-20 min, until it dries. The first times I've used this I kinda understood the hype, after washing the mask of, my face was red as a tomato, but after the redness faded my complexion looked so much better, my skin was more even, pores were smaller and I had somewhat of a glow afterwards. But as far as the closed comedones go it was a disappointment, maybe because my expectations were really high, I thought this would help clear them or at least draw them to the surface, but it didn't do any of that. I still kept using it though, maybe once or twice a week, I wanted to give it a fair chance, I thought maybe it requires more frequent uses to make a difference, I mean hundreds of reviews can't be wrong.

During the time I used this the most I noticed I was getting more and more closed comedones, so i started to cut products that I suspected, moisturisers, serums etc. I introduced a lot of new natural products at the same time which in hindsight wasn't the best. I didn't stop with the aztec mask right away, I really thought it couldn't be because of the mask, it was supposed to get rid of the bumps not cause them.

Anyways I stopped using everything basically, only using hemp seed oil as a moisturiser, after a while my closed comedones were slowly but surely getting better, I definitely wasn't getting any more of them. So at this point i decided to reintroduce the mask into my regimen (I still didn't think it could be causing the problems) and after a few days I noticed at least 10 more closed comedones on my chin and jaw area. So I think it is safe to say that this was the culprit. It unfortunately didn't work for me, personally. The cons definitely outweighs the pros, the closed comedones takes forever to go away and nothing seems to work to get rid of them. I gave the rest to my sister, she has a completely different skin type and it seems to work just fine for her. We are all different, just because it works for a lot of people doesn't mean that it will work for all people, unfortunately.

PROS:
inexpensive (5 dollars at iherb)
tightens my pores
brightens and evens out my skin tone
made my skin feel clean and smooth right after
lasts forever (I've used it a bunch of times and its still almost full)

CONS:
caused closed comedones on my skin
difficult to remove
made my skin really red after (fades after 30 min but still)
very drying (moisturising after is a must)
messy and can clog your drain
smells bad (not unbearable but not pleasant)
uncomfortable (pulsating feeling)

In conclusion, if you are prone to closed comedones beware, this might make your skin worse.

on 8/26/2016 5:43:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I was using this product several months ago and had great results. But as time goes by and new products are introduced it got pushed to the back of my closet in order to make room to try new things. I got very busy with life and trying to get the house ready to put on the market and forgot about Aztec Secret. Needless to say, my skincare routine suffered and my complexion showed the neglect. So today I reached for the Aztec Secret, whipped up a mask and remembered why I bought and used this in the first place.

I've tried many masks at different price points, but this one does exactly what I need it to do, which is to clear out my pores and make my skin feel clean, smooth and soft again.

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I recommend using aloe vera gel to mix with this clay if you dont want to use apple cider vinegar. The aloe vera gel also keeps the mixture smooth, unlike with water which doesnt allow it to spread well and turns clumpy. Even though I do not use this mask much anymore (I did this mask once a week), I used to mix it with aloe vera gel, ground oatmeal, and turmeric (these ingredients have lots of benefits such as helping inflammation and scarring, and is overall great for your skin). Also I stopped mixing the clay with apple cider vinegar because it gave me cystic pimples on my chin and also on my nose (which you could barely see, it just felt like I had a bruised nose. I was possibly just purging but I definitely do not have the patience to go through that.) Even though the mask felt really good with my mixture of aloe, oatmeal, and turmeric, it gave me rough patches on each side of my nose which did not go away for a month. I have stopped using the clay mask for my face because it was just too strong and did not really get rid of my blackheads either, just dried me out. I use this clay mostly for spot treatments and armpit detoxes now. (for the armpit detox, i mix this clay with apple cider and apply it to my armpits, this helps pull out all the toxins that are from deodorants. This probably sounds weird but search "armpit detox" on youtube for more info!)

This stuff is a godsend if you're trying to resurface your skin due to acne or damage from acne. It has an intense feel on your face but it's gentle enough for sensitive skin. After a few uses my slightly bumby combination skin had calmed down and my skin became more even. I recommend using this with a combination of apple cider vinegar (raw, unfiltered and organic) and water. Redness is normal but don't slack and leave this on too long or you will get some irritation. It's all about making this mask work for you and there are plenty of different recipes using this on the Internet. Love this stuff.

on 11/12/2015 5:57:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Neutral

My one holy grail beauty product. I am blessed to have good skin. I have never broken out and my complexion is even. Seldom has a beauty product impressed me because they never seem to make a difference. This is one of two or three beauty products that I have ever used that impressed me. I've been using it for 8 or so years and without fail it delivers results. Ideally I would use this mask 1- 2 times per month. When I slack on using it I can tell that my skin is just missing that tightness and glow. After using the mask, it's like I had a miracle facial. My skin just feels good. Before using the mask I rinse and scrub. I mix the mask with full apple cider vinegar and leave it on until completely dry (~20 minutes). Then I pick off any of the chunks so they don't clog my drain and rinse the remainder off in the shower. A little toner and some face oil and my skin is perfection.

Bonus - this stuff is ridiculously cheap and last forever. I think I had the small-sized container for 2 years before running out. I

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

To whatever reviewer, wherever it was, who suggested mixing the clay with the vinegar in a zip-lock: YES. So much easier. So much less mess.

on 6/18/2015 1:29:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

Overall, this stuff is great! Best mask I've ever used. I mix 1 tablespoon of the mask with organic apple cider vinegar until it becomes the proper consistency (not too runny, not too thick). It's very creamy and goes on smooth. I leave the mask on for 45 min -1 hour. When it hardens, it HARDENS. You can't talk, eat, or move your face in any way. It does leave my face red after I wash it off, but it goes away after about an hour. This mask has made my face smooth and it helping to even out my skin town and fade my acne marks. Love it!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

**UPDATE** It's been a few months since I've used this! I still like it, but I use it a bit differently now. As I mentioned, I have very dry skin, so I am not the target market for this. However, I DO break out and have pore issues, so this definitely has a place in my routine. I have used it a few times on my full face, but mostly I use it as a spot treatment as needed. When I get a pimple, I mix up a small batch of this and spot treat it for 30-60 minutes, then wash it off. It dramatically reduces its life cycle.

I just used this for the first time yesterday, so I really probably should wait a bit before writing a review, but I'm pretty impressed so I'll write one now and edit later.

After an unsuccessful journey to Whole Foods to pick up this mask, I ordered it on Amazon for $10. It arrived Sunday and I picked up some ACV (not Bragg's, my local grocery is not fancy enough for that).

I mixed together a bit over 1 tablespoon of the clay powder and ACV. That turned out to be A LOT of mask. Never one to waste a perfectly good skincare treatment, I just kept applying until it was at least 1/4" thick. I ran into the kitchen, excitedly telling my roommates "I'm going to get ALL THE CRAP OUT OF MY FACE." "That's nice, Sandcat," they answered. "We're going to bed."

No one is excited about my skincare routine as I am.

I'm also never one to leave masks on for the recommended amount of time. If a mask says it's meant to be used for 10-15 minutes, I figure I can get through at LEAST two episodes of Arrested Development before I have to take it off. This one recommended 5-10 minutes for "delicate skin" so I left it on for about an hour, until it was totally dry.

WHY I USED THIS MASK:
My skin has not taken kindly to the changing season, and I feel like I've had a breakout that's juuuuust about to happen for weeks now. I was hoping to bring these breakouts to the surface. I also have a singular, terrible acne cyst on my jawline that JUST WON'T GO AWAY, and I've heard this masks shortens their life cycle (ew).

WHAT I EXPECTED:
Honestly, not much. I love a good face mask, but to me it's more about the ritual and self-pampering, and I rarely notice any actual effects. My bar was very low for this. I expected to "FEEL [my] FACE PULSATE" as is so aggressively advertised on the packaging, and I expected to experience some sensitivity/redness, as I have dry, sensitive, and usually grumpy skin.

WHAT I EXPERIENCED:
When I finally got this baby off (which was a PROJECT), my skin felt very smooth. I took it off in the shower and as soon as I got out, I used my new and delightfully squishy konjac sponge with a gentle cleanser (La Roche-Posay Dermo-Cleanser) to make sure all the clay was off and to exfoliate away the aforementioned crap I'd been hoping to suck out of my pores. To my actual surprise, the gross little crop of millia that had been hanging out on my cheekbone were mostly gone, leaving only faint red marks in their wake. Now, to be fair, there are a million problems with my skin and those millia were pretty far down on the list of things I wanted to fix. If I could keep the millia in exchange for getting this awful, perCYSTant (heeeyyyyy) cyst off my face forever, that's the kind of deal I would absolutely make. Still, it was awesome to see an actual effect immediately after using this. I put on my normal moisturizer (Laneige Water Bank Serum, which I know is technically a "serum" but what is a serum, anyway; this is totally just a moisturizer) and it stung a bit. Before going to bed I used a thin layer of Aquaphor in an attempt to seal in the moisture, because it turns out leaving clay on your face for an hour is super drying. Hm.

WHAT I DIDN'T EXPERIENCE:
No pulsing! No tingling! No extreme redness! No intense sensitivity! And no breakouts, yet, though I have hope. My gross little acne cyst does feel a bit different today, so hopefully it's on its way out for the time being.

SOME UNSOLICITED ADVICE:
* You'll probably need more clay than ACV. I started with a 1:1 ratio and it was a watery mess.
* You probably don't need a full tablespoon + of each, either. I probably could have gotten the same effect with less mask.
* TAKE THIS OFF IN THE SHOWER. Seriously. I tried to start taking it off at my sink and it was a mistake. Learn from my mistake. Get in the shower, soak a washcloth in hot water, leave it on your face until you can't breathe anymore, repeat.
* Make sure you have an unscented moisturizer on hand. My moisturizer is gentle but scented, which usually doesn't bother me, but was stingy after the fact.

CONCLUSION:
I'm into this! It's a mask that had an actual effect immediately! Will update as I keep using, but for now, I'm a fan.

Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm

HOLY COW. "feel your face pulsate" is RIGHT. you can honestly feel this product working on your face it tingles and pulses and pulls all your imperfections out of your face. This stuff is amazing and pretty cheap definitely something that people need in their bathroom. :)

on 2/14/2015 9:33:00 AM

I purchased this after seeing KathleenLights rave about it. I have a similar skin type to her (dry, sensitive) so I thought it would work for me.

I mixed it with Apple Cider Vinegar, and at fist only applied to to a few spots on my forehead where I have some acne. After 30 minutes I took it off fairly easily. (Just press a washcloth on to the mask, then gently rub it away).

My skin was red after removing it, but the redness completely disappeared after about an hour. I then put the mask on the rest of my face. Afterwards my skin felt smooth and toned. My pores were also slightly less visible. It also has made some spots on my face less red/angry. I didn't see anything "miracle" like with this mask, but my skin is not that problematic to begin with.

I will update this in a week after I have used it a few more times.