Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay

Filtered by age: 30-35
Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay

4.4

100 NATURAL CALCIUM BENTONITE (green clay)

This is the most amazing facial mask product you'll ever buy and the only one you'll ever need!
I've been using this now for about a little over a year now and I can't tell you how much my complexion has improved as a result. I used to suffer from PMS acne, rosacea and ultra-sensitive skin, keeping a watch for blemishes and controlling them was just a constant vigilant job for me but ever since I started using this product, my skin has gotten clearer and clearer and much more softer with less combination skin problems.

Depending on you're skin type you can mix this clay with just about anything to suit your own needs:
1) Apple cider vinegar - for oily, acne-prone or combination skin, esp. good for whiteheads
2) Milk or plain yogurt - for very dry or sensitive skin
3) Water - for normal skin
4) Rosewater - for sensitive skin
5) Milk and honey - for a moisturinzing mask

If you have a juicer, some FRESH vegetable juices and or fruit extracts are also helpful.

6) Strawberry juice - for oily skin
7) Aloe vera gel juice - for dry skin

Experiment a little and you can discover the "right" combination for you. I'm fairly certain the folks who posted negative comments here are ones who did not experiment and ended up trying a combination which was not suitable for themselves.
The price is rock-bottom and the tub you get will last for ages. My only gripe is the packaging, it's way too bulky for traveling and I wish the manufacturers would come up with a size and packaging that can easily be used for traveling or overnight trips.
Go for it, you have nothing to lose except $7, you could end up with your own perfect HG product!

Hair: Red, Straight, Coarse

I've used this as a face mask before, mixed with vinegar (I've also tried it with water, but it didn't mix very well. Vinegar works much better). I didn't really notice any chance for better or worse in my skin, though the tingling feeling while it was drying was kind of cool. I tried it on my teen daughter's acne-prone skin as well, and it didn't seem to help her out any and she did NOT care for the aforementioned tingling feeling.

So why would I give this stuff five lippies? Because last summer, I was eaten alive by sand fleas while vacationing at the beach. You heard me. Sand fleas. I was in hell, covered with itchy bites EVERYWHERE after lying in the sand all day. Apparently I'm particularly sensitive to the little bloodsuckers, too, because the bites swelled up terribly (mosquito bites do the same thing on me). I tried the usual topical anti-itch treatments and Benadryl, but nothing worked for long. I yearned for the sweet release of death. I was still in absolute misery when we got home, and it was by pure chance that I saw my jar of Aztec clay in the bathroom while I was desperately rummaging around for something else to try to relieve the intense itch.

I made up a batch of mask and slathered it on my bites. I can't describe in detail the relief I experienced on a family friendly website. But you can use your imagination. What was most incredible was the relief LASTED, even after I finally rinsed the stuff off. The bites shrunk, the swelling went down like magic, AND the itching was relieved for HOURS. It did take a second application the next day, but that was all it took. I could have been saved days of suffering if 1) I had been aware that sand fleas were A Thing on that particular beach, and/or 2) if I'd had that jar of Aztec clay on vacation.

So forget zits. BUG BITES. I've since tried it on mosquito bites as well. They look like red mountains on me, but Aztec clay knocks 'em out quickly. I love you, Aztec clay!

on 9/30/2010 10:34:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium Brown, Warm

I have been using this clay as a mask off and on for at least ten years. It definitely gets the job done. I came check out the reviews today because I am considering using it as part of my MU routine to deal with my extreme oiliness (any suggestions?).

However, I'm reading some of the reviews with people giving their recipes for use and I want to caution first time users to think twice about using them. The clay itself is very strong and it can strip the skin when just used with water. That doesn't always happen but if you have never used it and haven't figured out how long to leave it on for the best results and comfort level, you could easily experience redness and irritation. Using just water limits the possibility of harsh reactions.

The side of package does suggest adding ACV and I have done that plenty of times. It works well. But along with removing toxins and debris, the mask exfoliates skin and adding ACV increases that effect. Including essential oils may cause even more discomfort.

I'm not saying not to use them but remember YMMV and just ease into it. The clay will work no matter what you mix with it. In addition to AVC and water, I have used turmeric (great anti-oxidant, anti-irritant), honey, yogurt, eggs, neem powder (excellent antiseptic, anti-bacterial), grapeseed oil and maybe one or two other things. Each has given me the results I was looking for. But I started slowly with just water and worked up.

on 11/23/2011 3:45:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This stuff is the business. Back in the day when I was kid, I found a tub of this in my aunt's bathroom cabinet and surrepticiously gave it a try. The suction was so intense I was like, whoa, that was an experience. Fast foward about 15 years later, and I'm watching this woman on TV get a facial with some kind of vaccuum tool sucking a bunch of pink gunk out of her seemingly clean skin, and I thought, that's what I need, some intense suction, and then I remembered this mask. Had to google a bit ot figure out the name and then immediately went out and bought a tub at Whole Foods.

I initially used water, but switched to apple cider vinegar and I think it works better that way. The only downside to this product, as far as I'm concerned, is that it comes in powder form and is a bit of a hassle and slightly messy to mix up before each use, but I get why that's necessary, as it would otherwise completely dry itself no matter kind of container you put it in. It's also nice to be able to adjust the thickness according to your preferences.

As everyone else has said, the suction is incredibly intense. It's uncomfortable. My nose always start to itch shortly after application, which bugs me to death, but that passes as it dries. Also, I have to stay hidden away in my bedroom with this on because I look absolutely freakish as it dries. I also leave it on for some time--it takes quite a while for it to fully dry and if you put it on really thick it never will (it's sill sucking away though, dry or not). Anyway, I try to give it at least and hour. I usually apply the mask and then do my nails.

I have acne prone skin and use prescription meds to control it, but it does something the meds can't and will absolutely clear up and prevent and beakouts and promote faster healing. I had this awful stubborn breakout after trying some new skincare products--my forehead was absolutely covered with ugly little bumps and few bigger once and after I stopped using the products it would not go away despite my continued use of the the acne meds. Well, I knew this mask would solve the problem, so I resolved to use it nightly for a week or two and sure enough my skin's clearing up nicely. Welcome back attractive forehead. Do I need to say that I love this mask? I'm not always consistent about using it because I'm lazy, but I should be. Once or twice a week is probably ideal.

In summary, it's extremely effective, natural, and inexpensive (a tub lasts forever). Do give it a try.

on 11/29/2016 11:56:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Mixed with ACV, this is probably the best mask ever made!!! It's VERY VERY GOOD with cleaning pores, especially removing blackheads in the nose and cheek area. After using this, my skin looks clearer and less "red" and blotchy.

The clay is so flexible that you can use it in a lot of recipes that can cater to your own skin condition. My base recipe is 1 tsp Aztec clay + 1 tsp. Bragg ACV, leave on for 30-45 mins

I used to add 2-3 drops of tea tree oil with the base recipe, this made the mask smell better, but it did not seem to help with the zits.

Current favorite recipe: 1 tsp Aztec clay + 1 tsp Bragg ACV + 2 drops raw honey. Adding honey made the mask easier to wash out, it does not "completely" dry up, makes the mask smell better, and it leaves a very thin layer of moisture making my skin really soft.

Sometimes, I'll use a sheet mask after (chilled in the ref) for added moisture. Sometimes I'll skip the sheet mask and spot treat my acne with BP (2.5%), which will cause the zits to sting a little bit but it heals faster.

I use this weekly, and if I don't my skin will look duller. I've finished a whole tub of this. A WHOLE TUB!!! and I bought two tubs after, which I'm confident that I'll use to the last gram. Good thing that the product does not expire (I think)..

The only down side I see is that it clogs the drain in my bathroom sink. So I have to use the kitchen sink OR pour hot water on the bathroom sink after washing the clay from my face to avoid clogging the drain. But overall, I love this! And I will probably be using this continuously.

HOLY GRAIL STATUS!!! <3 <3 <3

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Oh my god. This. Stuff.

… I've struggled with congested skin for years - the only time I've been truly happy with my face was a two-year stint on a now discontinued birth control. It's not that bad - my pores are small, but each one is clogged with a small grain of sebum or sebaceous filament that I have to manually extract every night. My skin is oily deep underneath, and super-dry on top. Also, since I'm no longer on BC, I get several (read - 3 to 5) cysts that take forever to heal during my period (though Mario Badescu's drying cream has definitely helped.) I've had a little help from MUAC's retinol and Paula's BHA - they make me look fresh, but still - clogs, refilling every day. Benzoyl peroxide does nothing for me - nothing for the clogs, nothing for the cysts.

I'd read about this stuff in a magazine once, but somehow forgot about it. Now, with my skin worse than ever, overproducing oil after a long dry Chicago winter, and too much dairy that made me break out in five major cysts, I decided to go for a clay mask. I looked at GlamGlow, but decided I'd rather spend 70 bucks on a good serum versus a generic mud mask - and then I remembered this stuff.

I used it for the first time last night, and wasn't overwhelmed… It was easy to use (1 to 1 with apple cider vinegar), the pulsating was kind of hilarious (though I couldn't laugh; the mask had stretched my skin SO tight, as if it had been botoxed all over!)... I wiped it off with a warm washcloth, and was more pleased than shocked at the results. My skin looked fresher, it (surprisingly) didn't dry me out, and some small plugs came out easier than normal, but otherwise there were still filaments, a few PMS cysts trying to come out. So I slapped a mini-mask on the cystic spots as a spot-treatment in those areas and left it on for about three more hours.

When I washed that off - I was stunned. The cystic lumps had disappeared. Completely. My skin was a little red, but I went to bed super happy and optimistic, hoping the effect would stick. When I woke up this morning - Oh. My. God.

I was looking at the best skin of my life. No clogs had reappeared. The cystic red spots were gone without a trace. Everything glowed, and my face actually felt lighter, and more supple, where it usually feels weighed down and tired - probably from the excess oil. This is something I plan to use every other day as maintenance, versus a weekly special treatment, since it seems to have absorbed all excess oil from deep inside my skin and actually PREVENTED congestion.

It's so cheap, and there's so much of it, I can't imagine anyone not trying it out. It actually is the miracle for my congestion I've always wanted. HG.

on 9/2/2010 6:05:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

This works like a full face pore strip!

Recently I had a pretty angry allergic reaction. My entire face was a mess and just as bad after treatment. The steroid cream I had to apply clogged my pores SO badly. My entire face was left covered in blackheads once the original reaction had subsided. I knew this mask would help so I started applying this mask o1-2x a week or so. After just the first application there was significant reduction in blackheads. I mean SUPER significant.(I do loosen things up first with a cleansing oil) Its been 3 applications now and my face is almost completely cleared up.

I've used this mask now for about a year. I LOVE it. I have pretty sensitive skin and was glad to find something that is pure and simple.

I use generic ACV which turns this into a little bit of a mousse like consistency. It's kinda fluffy :) and then add 2-3 drops of tea tree oil. The tea tree oil was the trick for me. Before I added the TTO it kinda started itching and I couldn't let it sit on my face long enough to dry. Still got nice results, but not as good. Once I added the TTO it was perfect. The tingly sensation fromt TTO allowed it to be comfortable on the face until it dried. I let it dry completely and then I give myself a big-o smile! Yeah, kinda hurts, but it's like I can feel it pulling the crap outta my pores!

To get it off, I pat/spalsh water over it a few times til it softens. Eventually, it breaks down and washes clean and takes all the nasty with it. My skin always feels so soft afterwards, too.

You need so little of this stuff. My container is still pretty close to the brim a whole year later!

on 9/18/2010 6:16:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I was looking for a replacement for my old usual mask, Queen Helene Mint Julep. I just don't like using products with added fragrance or color. This fits the bill. Its the same clay you find in almost all commercial clay masks, with the benefit of it not having anything else. I make mine with apple cider vinegar (ACV) and a dollop of honey. I find that the honey keeps it from being to drying, plus honey is a great natural humectant and has anti-bacterial properties.

I leave it on about 20-30 min and then wash off. I find that the best way to get it off is too thoroughly wet the face, let the water soak into the mask and then gently scrub it off the face. You will get the added benefit of exfoliation.

This also works as a hair mask, which I had read about as a way to deep clean the hair and scalp. It really works. Wet you hair, towel blot and mix up a generous amount of mask. my hair is about 3 inches past my shoulder and I used about 1/4 cup of the clay powder added to 1/4 cup mixture of half water/half ACV and a tablespoon of honey. I may also add a little more water as I like this thinner than the mask I make for the skin.

Section off the hair. I make 4 sections. Work the mask into the hair in scalp making sure it is all coated. You can find some youtube videos on how to do this if you look up "clay mask for hair". I then wrap my head up in a plastic bag, and cover with a towel. You don't want this to dry. Leave in about 20-30 min and then rinse thoroughly. I wash it out with Curl Junkie Daily Fix Cleansing Conditioner. But a conditioner wash with a cheap conditioner like Suave Coconut will work too. Don't use a traditional shampoo, its too drying. I find that I restore my hair softness faster if I do an ACV rinse after washing it, but its not necessary though your hair may feel a little stiff if you don't. Follow with a deep treatment. I like Curl Junkie Curl Fix, and I leave it overnight on the day I do a clay mask. Then next morning I rinse and style as usual. My hair will feel lighter, have a lot of shine and be very clean.

I feel like this REALLY cleans out my pores!
note: I have sensitive, combo skin and this doesnt make me break out or irritate my skin at all!
I've only used this as a face mask & acne spot treatment.
I purchase this at the vitamin shoppe, or order online. It's totally worth it because you get SOOOO much product and only use a little bit at a time. I can barely use it all up before it expires. Considering how much product you get it really isn't a bad price.
I mix equal parts of this powder with bragg organic apple cider vinegar (highly suggest this mixture, it is definitely better than just mixing with water)

I mix it in a bag, then rub on my face and leave on for about 15 minutes.
The sensation is hard to explain, it is like a pulsing/pulling/tightening feeling!! I can't handle it for more than 15 minutes until I have to take off the mask. my face is a little red afterwards but that goes away. I take it off with water then usually use a gentle hydrating cleanser like cerave or even cetaphil, then put on a gentle moisturizer since the mask can leave me dry.
but once I use this, HOLY COW my skin is sooooo clear and I feel like all the gunk in my pores is out. it feels SO CLEAN
once a week I do it all over my face and other than that I use it as a spot treatment or just around my nose/tzone/acne prone areas.
the only cons are the smell, it's kind of messy, takes time to prepare, and difficult to take off. The pulling feeling it gives when it's on your face is odd, but not a big deal. the end result is definitely worth it

IMPORTANT:
When you mix this with water or the organic apple cider vinegar it makes this gross paste. (if you spill some powder, vacuum it up.. do not use a damp towel to wipe it up bc it'll turn into that paste). That paste should NOT be put down your drain. this is why I mix it in a plastic bag, put it on my face via plastic bag so nothing has to be washed. IMPORTANT: when you take off the mask do not let any go down the drain!! I use damp paper towels then throw them in the trash.

I'm so sick of masks not doing anything, so this mask is totally worth the extra trouble. It is more time consuming than squeezing product from a tube and jumping in the shower to rinse off. I'm seriously so lazy but I will definitely spend time on this mask. Once you do it a couple times it's not a big deal
I know it's hard to find, smells bad, you have to be extra careful, can't go down the drain, feels weird, etc but I SWEAR THIS PRODUCT IS WORTH IT. it has made such a difference in my skin. I've stopped using other face masks because this one is amazing. it seriously gets my pores soooo cleaned out. definitely worth it. it's my secret weapon and i highly recommend it.

on 7/12/2016 3:20:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium Brown, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

Must buy. I have sensitive skin. I usually tend to break out if i use masks that aren't homemade natural ones (love them) or sanctuary's masks... apart from those... nothing suits.

This is a hidden gem of a product. It is pure bentonite clay... a natural product. It comes in a big plastic tub in powder form.

My skin feels smoother, pores feel/look smaller, face doesn't get oily anymore, and old acne marks have faded.

This product had to be used in non-metal containers/non metal spoons etc too. I use a brush to apply evenly. The product has to be mixed in equal measures with apple cider vinegar (recommended) or water. When mixed with just water it can remain lumpy and when mixed with acv it is smooth. I have sensitive skin and noticed after using once that it left my skin a little dry so i add a few extras to my mask mix. I add a few drops of either almond or coconut oil, i also add a spoon of natural yogurt and i always use acv.
I apply a thick layer of the mask and leave it on for a min of 20 min - 45 mins. I use it once or twice a week in the evening.
Once applied the mask will begin to feel tight on your face, then you have to try and get past the 'itchy' stage which can last 5 mins lol! Get passed this and you'll then start to feel your face pulsate lol! When it starts to dry it can crack but again this is normal. Also the pulsating sensation feels strange but it's worth it for the results.
Washing off can be tough but i've finally found a way to wash it off without blocking drains or ruining washcloths etc!! I basically peel off the cracked mask from my nose area (this removed blackheads too.. i know.. great right! I also use on just my nose sometimes) and then i splash and ensure my face is throughly wet/the mask is wet and soft again. I then begin to use a cotton wool pad that i keep washing to wet an area whilst wiping away. This washes the mask away cleanly, without big bits blocking drains and without my skin being sore from rubbing it off.
The mask can leave face red for a few minutes after but that's natural as it's been busy pulling dirt from the pores. Once face has been washed etc I moisurise with aloe vera gel all over.

This mask can also be used for blackheads as mentioned above. It can also be used in a bath to remove toxins and leave skin soft (mixes fine.. no lumps). It can also be used on hair.. takes far too long to wash out though. If i feel i have a spot coming.. i use this on just the spot at night and by morning it goes. As i said... I add oil to the powder and apple cider vinegar as i don't want my face to dry out etc... sure it'll be fine to use without oil.

Also a heads up.. Bear in mind i'm talking from my experience from using the product... the first time i used this i broke out in a few bumps, this is due to the fact the mask pulls out the dirt from your pores etc. After this i have been fine. Also as i've said above... if i feel like i'm going to break out and feel a bump i dab/apply the mask on to the spot(s) for about 20 mins then wash off and by morning the spot thankfully doesn't appear and if the spot does appear then this helps it.

Price.. It can be bought for a good price on amazon. A tub lasts a very long time. Packaging is ok.. basic and explains the mask's instructions etc.