Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay

Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay

4.3

CALCIUM BENTONITE (green clay)

on 4/4/2009 9:54:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

After slugging it out with the DDF Sulfur Therapeutic mask for a year with very mediocre results (despite all the glowing reviews I guess my skin was deadened to the effect of sulfur) I decided to try this out. I bought it at Whole Foods, and it was less than $10 for a giant tub. I had a spare bottle of apple cider vinegar at home, and as recommended I used them in conjunction. I like that it's up to you to make a "fresh" mask everytime you want.

Simply put, this simple mask is AMAZING. It blows everything else I've tried (DDF Sulfur, sea salt mask, honey mask, aspirin mask), clear right out of the water. I had some pretty bad breakouts before finding this mask, and now they are all gone. My skin is pretty tough, and in the beginning I used it once a night and left it on for an hour each time around. Skin gets a bit red and sensitive after, but nothing a little moisturizer can't fix. I do feel the pulse slightly which I find pretty cool, but after a while I think your skin gets used to it. On bad spots I sometimes even spot treatment overnight, and it always reduces the severity of the breakout.

Slight disclaimer - do not try to talk or change your facial expression at all with this mask on. It is a tough mask that hardens like thin concrete, and it will hurt your face to move or talk. Just prepare to read a book with it on, or do something relaxing and let it do its work. Also, it smells awful used with apple cider vinegar. I'll stomach that any day, though.

If you have oily or acne-prone skin, please try this mask. You'll love it!

UPDATE (6/15/09): Still obsessed with this mask. Use it when I have a breakout or clogged pores, and it is always makes me skin super soft and calms down any irritation. I found the BEST WAY to mix it. Have a small scooper constantly inside the jar (tsp sized). And then, put your ACV into a clean pump bottle. When you need to use it, scoop a bit onto your palm in a small "bowl" shape. Simply take your pump and use as many pumps as you need to turn the powder into sludge. This way you don't need a new container, don't need to rinse anything, you never get the ACV bottle dirty with powder, nor do you ever risk pouring too much ACV into the powder! Just wash your hands after and voila!! Soooo easy and convenient to use now. =)

This is the most amazing facial mask product you'll ever buy and the only one you'll ever need!
I've been using this now for about a little over a year now and I can't tell you how much my complexion has improved as a result. I used to suffer from PMS acne, rosacea and ultra-sensitive skin, keeping a watch for blemishes and controlling them was just a constant vigilant job for me but ever since I started using this product, my skin has gotten clearer and clearer and much more softer with less combination skin problems.

Depending on you're skin type you can mix this clay with just about anything to suit your own needs:
1) Apple cider vinegar - for oily, acne-prone or combination skin, esp. good for whiteheads
2) Milk or plain yogurt - for very dry or sensitive skin
3) Water - for normal skin
4) Rosewater - for sensitive skin
5) Milk and honey - for a moisturinzing mask

If you have a juicer, some FRESH vegetable juices and or fruit extracts are also helpful.

6) Strawberry juice - for oily skin
7) Aloe vera gel juice - for dry skin

Experiment a little and you can discover the "right" combination for you. I'm fairly certain the folks who posted negative comments here are ones who did not experiment and ended up trying a combination which was not suitable for themselves.
The price is rock-bottom and the tub you get will last for ages. My only gripe is the packaging, it's way too bulky for traveling and I wish the manufacturers would come up with a size and packaging that can easily be used for traveling or overnight trips.
Go for it, you have nothing to lose except $7, you could end up with your own perfect HG product!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

VERY IMPORTANT: This type of clay is very alkaline, so please do not put it on your skin without altering the pH first. I made this mistake and I ended up with damaged skin barrier and a breakout. I'm so glad I gave this another chance even after that! I now mix it with apple cider vinegar or fresh lemon juice, both of which bring down the pH of the clay and create a wonderfully fluffy mousse.

The second most important thing to remember when using this mask is to never let it dry completely! While it is moist it will absorb unwanted compounds and oils from the skin, but once it begins to dry, it loses that ability. Instead, it will start drawing moisture from the skin, making it red and raw. Even if you have oily skin, losing water is not a good thing!

Third, masks need to be used regularly get results and maintain them. Yes, this clay will shrink your pores and reduce your sebaceous filaments, but you have to use it at least once a week (maybe twice or thrice upon starting the regimen).

My favorite combo so far: lemon juice (brightening vitamin C), honey (humectant), clay, and turmeric (lightening). In the future, I plan on making a 5% solution with vitamin C powder + water to try with this mask. This clay is extremely versatile, so don't be afraid to experiment!

on 4/1/2013 1:53:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Upon reading all of the hype, I had to give this mask a chance! I have extremely sensitive skin that is acne-prone and even if it is said to be safe and recommended, there is no way I am using ACV on it. I feel my skin begin to burn and turn bright red at the mere thought. So, I have used this mask three times, mixing it with water and applying it with a foundation brush, leaving it to dry for about 15-20 minutes. I do get the pulsating effect that is a bit annoying but not unbearable. Unbearable is when I have applied it to my neck, even just under my jawline and chin, and it gets extremely itchy and tight, very uncomfortable, so never again will I make that mistake. My skin is definitely brighter after use, it does deep clean my pores and minimizes the blackheads on my nose that ordinarily nothing will cure. This stuff is harsh, however, and I do find it to be drying. Also having such acne-prone skin that I **finally** have learned to manage in the last few years makes using this mask less appealing because I know it does purge pimples from beneath the surface, even within the matter of time I use it, when acne appears that wasn't there 20 minutes before. It could be true that the blemish would have surfaced eventually anyway, that this helps you deal with it now rather than later, but I'm not completely sure about that given the success I have had with my skincare routine at keeping breakouts from forming. I feel discouraged when that happens w/ this mask because it is like I'm needlessly tampering with the effective routine I have by using something so powerful that immediately causes breakouts, so with all that said, I don't think this product is for me. Hopefully I can find a different mask with the same good cleansing and blackhead-eliminating effects that this does, that doesn't make me an instant pizza face in the process and dry out my skin at the same time.

UPDATE, 4/12/13: Upped rating from 3 lippies to 4. I tried mixing this with witch hazel (Dickinson's 100%) and now we're getting somewhere! It worked much better than water at making the consistency of the mask easier to work with and my skin was even brighter and actually soft and smooth. Also not drying, which is weird because sometimes witch hazel is on my skin. I still broke out a little but not as bad this time and I recovered from it faster. I recommend trying with WH if water isn't working or if you're scared of ACV like me! :) & I know I swore it off sort of before, but I just have so much of it and it really does deep clean my pores... I have to use it up and if I have success again, I may repurchase.

Update, numero dos! 4/23/13: Ok, now I caved with the ACV and have used it with the mask twice. It turned my skin every shade of red that I thought it would and my skin felt the most dry of anything I have used it with, but it seriously cleaned out my pores best. Despite the acne and some redness I have, my skin looks so clean and smooth. With moisturizer and an hour or so, the redness went away, also. As some have said too, I do notice it might take a day or two after use to really see improvement but it's worth it when you do. I'm a believer now because I think this will be a good weekly mask to help clarify my skin after a week of full face makeup and such. :D I will often use it again with witch hazel, or so I intend. ACV when I really need it. Water only if I'm out of the other two products. ;) This stuff is great and I totally recommend if your skin needs deep cleaning and pore unclogging. (I think this is the most obnoxious review I've ever written with all of the updates)

on 2/19/2008 7:35:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

WOW! I was browsing the product aisle at Whole Foods yesterday and came across this mask. At $10, I thought why not? But before I used it I read the reviews -- then I couldn't wait to try it after all the rave! So today I used it, mixed with ACV and Manuka Honey.

(NOTE: This type of honey (Manuka) is unbelievable. It's very expensive, but worth every penny. It's something like 100x more disinfecting than tea tree oil. Also, you get a lot in the jar and you only need a little at a time. I mix it with dissolved aspirin as a mask -- it's just amazing and I notice a difference after just one application. If I'm super dry, I'll even sleep with it on my face. When I wake up, not only am I not dry, but the lines are gone.

Anyway, this Indian Healing mask has shown the most improvement in just one application than any other mask. My skin was glowing and so soft. I swear old acne spots are a lot lighter. I didn't even have time to leave it on more than 10 minutes.

I really recommend mixing it with the honey and ACV. I think the ACV alone would strip the skin, but the honey allows all the products to work in harmony without drying you out. I've tried the Queen Helene mask and it did nothing for me.

Lastly, I think applying a thin layer is best. From the reviews I read, if the mask is too thick, it will not harden and do its job.

UPDATE... 5 weeks later (March 25, 2008)

I still LOVE this stuff. Actually it's my favorite thing that i use. i can use it as i often as i want. I ge the best results by using my microdermasion (which is just an oil of olay brand from costco), then i mix the clay powder with ACV to form a thick paste. I really only use like a teaspoon of the powder -- a little goes a long way. Above I described mixing the mask with ACV and honey. Now I only mix it with the ACV, as I think it clears things up a little more. I leave it on as long as i can, even up to 45 minutes. Your face will be blotchy with redness. This goes away within a few minutes.

After the mask is washed off, i'll rub Manuka Honey all over my face and sleep with it on (see my review above). This is not comfortable by any means and it's sticky, so put a towel over your pillow. But I'm one of those people who is willing to sacrifice for good skin, so it's fine for me. I'm also single, so there's no one to complain about it ;-)

I tend to "pick" my face (the worst thing I can do). This causes breakouts and redness. If I've been picking, then I do the mask then honey thing, it's all gone by morning. No redness, no zits.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

Wow, dirt cheap, highly effective and easily adaptable to all skin types. I mainly use this on my chin and nose where I am oily and get blackheads/Whiteheads. I do an allover mask once a week. I mix 2 Tablespoons of clay, 2 tablespoons of Braggs ACV and 1 tablespoon of water and mix with non-metal utensils (Metal will make it less affective). Bentonite clay has been used for centuries to remove Toxins and impurities from the body. You can also ingest it for stomach/Digestive issues and for internal healing. It's not only great for clogged pores, acne, blackheads but also great for spider bites, poison ivy, chicken pox (Use in a bath), snake bites, wounds and I have even seen it used on psoriasis patients. It's awesome stuff from nature.

I started using Bentonite clay internally for ulcers and it healed them within a matter of a week. I don't take this brand internally, I buy clay from Mountain Rose herbs that comes from Wyoming. But I do use the Aztec for my face. For those gals with acne, hormonal or otherwisde, this mask if used correctly can heal your face, draw out oil and clogged pores, smooth out the texture of your skin. I do suggest that those with very sensitive skin be careful. the pulling action of Bentonite can almost hurt. you will be red afterward for about an hour.

For Sensitive Skin- 2 Tbsp clay, 1 tbsp of Glycerin, 1 or 2 tbsp of distilled water. Glycerin is very soothing to red, irrited or rosacea prone faces.

For normal skin- I would use the Clay with just the ACV. You can add essential oils but many times these oils add to irritation. If you want to add a bit of moisture to this I suggest a little bit of olive oil or sweet almond oil.

For acne- Clay and Acv are wonderful for acne. I do suggest if you have irritated acne to be carefull with the ACV. ACV can burn the skin in areas that have clusters of acne. So do a test patch area. I suggest adding Manuka honey to the mask or tea tree oil. Manuka honey is 100 times more antibacterial than tea tree and less irritating. It will also moisturize a bit and smooth out red marks.Calendula is also great if you have inflamed acne. It will calm it down and reduce redness.

And the secret to removing this stuff, is to apply it in a light layer to begin with, it does not have to be thick to work. Just even coverage. Wait until after it pulsates a bit and dries and then jump in the shower. Let the hot water wash over your face, it will moisten and loosen the clay for much easier removal. Wash with a gentle cleanser, I then tone with Colloidial copper spray or witch hazel and then moisturize. My skin is as soft as a baby's.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I love this stuff! I only use it with water, and let it sit till it dries.

I have a solution for people who don't want to use ACV but want a smooth application. I mix up a lot of this solution at one time - and just use it as I need it as a more liquid mask, then mix up some more. This is going to sound weird, but bear with me.

I use a small glass jar with a water proof lid. I put in the powder and add more water than I need. I usually make the water super-hot, though I don't know if this makes a difference. Then I shake the jar reallly well, and let it sit - for a day at least. The water absorbs into the clay and makes a mud. Just like in your front yard when it's rained for several days. Pour off any excess water that may sit on top of your mud, and you will have a super-smooth, silky application of just aztec clay and water that you can use multiple times before making another batch.

on 4/16/2015 5:55:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

TIPS:
-using apple cider vinegar instead of water made a HUGE difference for me.
-leaving this on for a full hour also makes it much more effective for me.
-this is not a pre-date-night mask. my skin is REDDD after, but always 100% back to normal by morning.

i have acne and have done/tried it all, from pro-activ all the way to Accutane. my pores are literally always clogged. every day.

this is my HG face mask. doesn't make me break out and is the ONLY thing that's ever made me feel like my pores are somewhat less clogged after use.

i'm using retin-a so my skin is somewhat dry, but i still use this 2x a week. i slather my face in cetaphil after and everything is fine.

AND THE PRICE! this is proof god exists and might have had acne at one point.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

DIVINE! This is such an amazing product. I have several uses for it. I want to share with people, so I wanted to put my uses, recipes, and how it works for me.

Face Mask:
1 heaping tbs Clay
1 tbs Apple Cider Vinegar
1/2 tbs Olive Oil
1 drop Lavender Essential Oil
1 drop Chamomile Essential Oil
1 drop Tea Tree Essential Oil
I put it on with a paint brush, then let it sit until it dries. I wear makeup everyday and use very moisturize pretty heavily. This clears up all the buildup I get in my pores and leaves my skin feeling super soft. It also helps keep my complexion even.

Spot Treatment:
1/2 tsp of Clay
1/4 tsp of Apple Cider Vinegar
I just dab a bit of this mixture onto any pimples that I get (although I get them rarely) and leave it on over night. It dries out my pimples without leaving a dry patch.

Body Wrap:
1 heaping cup Clay
1 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
2 drops Lemon Essential Oil
2 drops Orange Essential Oil
2 drops Eucalyptus Essential Oil
I use Yogi Detox Tea to soak my wraps in (I just got regular bandage wraps that I can wash). I cover myself in clay, then wrap the bandages around myself, put on my cheap sweatsuit, and let it sit for about an hour. I usually do this once a month with my henna. It's really helped me while I've been losing weight. I don't have any stretch marks and my skin has tightened up very much. It also helps my kp and keeps my skin super soft and glowing.

The price is amazing and the variety of ways that you can use it is endless. I would definitely recommend it and I will of course be purchasing again!

on 2/14/2006 3:55:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I have disgustingly clogged skin on my nose and cheeks (bad skin-care when I was an oily teen) and if I squeeze, I get tons of gunk from the pores there. I had accepted that this was something I had to live with, since everything Ive tried, from salicylic acid to the OCM, had either helped a little or not at all. But then, this stuff came to my rescue! I just mix it (in a non-metal bowl, with a non-metal spoon) with some Braggs apple cider vinegar and apply it to my face. I let it dry, trying to ignore the occasional slight stinging, and the throb, then rinse. This stuff is a major pain to rinse. I highly recommend doing it in the shower. When I rinse it off, my face is extremely red. (The redness does go away within about 30 mins, though. Sometimes if my skin feels a little irritated, I apply a thin coat of honey for 20 mins. Oh, and I always follow with a thin coat of jojoba oil. Dont want to clog those newly cleaned pores.) Why, if it has all these negatives, am I giving it 5 stars? Because when I squeeze my problem areas after using this, I get almost no gunk. I used it regularly for a month, and couldnt get any gunk out of those areas ever! Then I got lazy, and stopped for a while. Return of the gunk. When I started using it again, it got better again. I have not noticed a big difference in breakouts one way or the other with this, but I dont break out that often, and when I do, its big, hormonal, under-the-skin acne, so Im not upset. My biggest skin complaint was all the clogged pores, but this is eradicating it. I wouldnt recommend it for really sensitive skin, but mine is mildly sensitive and it hasnt given me problems.

My google research tells me the bentonite this is made out of forms an electro-magnetic field when hydrated, which literally pulls the toxins out of your skin. And we all know that ACV is good for your skin. The combination of the two can only be a good thing.

I bought this at Whole Foods for about $10, for a huge tub of it. You can find it online at MotherNature.com, and other spots. For more info, the website is Aztec-secret.com.