Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay

Filtered by skin type : Normal
Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay

4.4

100 NATURAL CALCIUM BENTONITE (green clay)

on 2/19/2008 7:35:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

WOW! I was browsing the product aisle at Whole Foods yesterday and came across this mask. At $10, I thought why not? But before I used it I read the reviews -- then I couldn't wait to try it after all the rave! So today I used it, mixed with ACV and Manuka Honey.

(NOTE: This type of honey (Manuka) is unbelievable. It's very expensive, but worth every penny. It's something like 100x more disinfecting than tea tree oil. Also, you get a lot in the jar and you only need a little at a time. I mix it with dissolved aspirin as a mask -- it's just amazing and I notice a difference after just one application. If I'm super dry, I'll even sleep with it on my face. When I wake up, not only am I not dry, but the lines are gone.

Anyway, this Indian Healing mask has shown the most improvement in just one application than any other mask. My skin was glowing and so soft. I swear old acne spots are a lot lighter. I didn't even have time to leave it on more than 10 minutes.

I really recommend mixing it with the honey and ACV. I think the ACV alone would strip the skin, but the honey allows all the products to work in harmony without drying you out. I've tried the Queen Helene mask and it did nothing for me.

Lastly, I think applying a thin layer is best. From the reviews I read, if the mask is too thick, it will not harden and do its job.

UPDATE... 5 weeks later (March 25, 2008)

I still LOVE this stuff. Actually it's my favorite thing that i use. i can use it as i often as i want. I ge the best results by using my microdermasion (which is just an oil of olay brand from costco), then i mix the clay powder with ACV to form a thick paste. I really only use like a teaspoon of the powder -- a little goes a long way. Above I described mixing the mask with ACV and honey. Now I only mix it with the ACV, as I think it clears things up a little more. I leave it on as long as i can, even up to 45 minutes. Your face will be blotchy with redness. This goes away within a few minutes.

After the mask is washed off, i'll rub Manuka Honey all over my face and sleep with it on (see my review above). This is not comfortable by any means and it's sticky, so put a towel over your pillow. But I'm one of those people who is willing to sacrifice for good skin, so it's fine for me. I'm also single, so there's no one to complain about it ;-)

I tend to "pick" my face (the worst thing I can do). This causes breakouts and redness. If I've been picking, then I do the mask then honey thing, it's all gone by morning. No redness, no zits.

Love this clay. The package states that you can make 20-30 clay masks from the 2lb. tub but I think you can definitely make more than that. I only need around 1 1/2 tbsp. of powder to make a thick mask. I mix my clay with Organic Apple Cider Vinegar from Trader Joe's. I hate the smell of vinegar but I'm the type of person who will try anything to look good (lol). The ACV from Trader Joe's doesn't actually smell that bad. The smell isn't pleasant but it's completely tolerable as the smell is relatively faint. I always put in a couple drops of ACV and add a few drops of water to the mixture if the mixture is still too dry.
I purchased this after I ran out of my Borghese Fango Mud but decided that I didn't want to spend $60.00 if there are cheaper alternatives out there. After the first use, I noticed that many of the white/blackheads on my face were gone. Washing the mask off is a pain so I usually do it right before I hop into the shower. After washing it off, I put on a layer of toner and then a light layer of moisturizer. Will definitely repurchase after I run out.

My HG facial mask. I was recommended this mask by another user and I'm totally in love with this stuff. At first I was really scared my skin would be too sensitive for this mask, but it works amazingly well with my skin! I've been using it every other day for almost two weeks and my face is seriously flawless even my mom and sister commented my skin looks better. O.O The mask got all the gunk out of the pores around my nose. I've found that when I use a thin layer on my face the mask works a lot better.

on 4/3/2009 6:32:00 PM

I love this stuff! I never understood the hype about other clay masks (QH Mint Julep, etc) because they never seemed to work for me. Yeah, they felt cool and tingly going on, but I never saw any kind of difference in my skin. So I supposed I just persisted at it because "it worked for everyone else." Well, in comes this mask. And now I know how clay masks are really supposed to behave and why people love them so much.It's a huge and cheap ($5 at Whole Foods) tub and in essence, it works. It pulsates, stiffens up my face something awful, and yes it does turn you red after you take it off. But that's okay (do it at night and no one will see you and you'll wake up with glowing skin too). I get teeny (but annoying) blackheads and clogged pores on my nose and this gets rid of them. No other way to put it. I put this on whenever my skin feels congested (about 1-2x a week) and just when my skin is due for its weekly cleaning. I will mention though: do NOT let it sit on your face for too long. Anywhere from 10-20 minutes is probably the max it should go. I've left it on for over an hour, and I felt it was more effective after I washed it off after 15min. You may purge a little bit, but it's not a bad thing. In fact, it brings all my pimples to a head so they can be extracted or healed. I think pimples heal faster when they're drained (and then slathered with antibiotic or antiseptic ointment) anyways.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

I've been using this mask for around a month now.

I realized that if I add just water to the clay, the pulsing sensation is much stronger.

Since I really don't have acne or pimples, I can't attest to the zit-drying power of this mask, although the first time I tried it, I actually thought it washed away all of my blackheads.

But they returned overnight. :( Still, this mask is a good buy, since you can really feel the sensation. Maybe that's the indicator that this thing is working.

One more thing: I don't know if I should be pleased, but I did not experience the redness at all! Well, only my upper lip area was pink. The rest of my face, well...still the same color.

I advise those with dry/sensitive skin to do a patch test first since this may be too drying.

on 12/20/2009 10:35:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

I bought this product because of so many rave reviews about it. I have so many clogged pores under my lips and nose, so I would like to give this a try. I bought this at Healthy Options for $3 only. The tube is a bit messy when being opened because of the clay powder. I mix the Indian healing clay powder with ACV. I can not find honey that time so ACV is my only ingredient to try. I tried 1 tbsp of ACV and 1 tbsp of Indian healing clay, then mix. I don't know why other don't like the smell, but for me I really like it (maybe because I like vinegar so much, sour smell). The tube indicates that there is pulsating effect while the mud is drying out on your face and I've been waiting for that moment. After 15 minutes OMG!! I can really feel the pulsation in my cheeks, nose, chin, forehead, and neck (I applied mud mask in neck also)! Another 15 minutes pass by and I can now feel the mud mask tightening my face as it dries out and pulsation is still there. It's like the mud mask is massaging your face alone!!

I got curious what it looks like so I faced the mirror. OMG! My face looks like a stone! It's like I am Stone man (one of the characters in Fantastic four).

After 45 minutes, I wash it off with warm water and as expected, my face is bit red but gone after 30 minutes or less. I notice that my skin feels soft and smooth. A day after using the mask, I also notice that pimples on my cheek were gone and have an even facial tone.

I back read some reviews here and I see some 2-3 stars and they complain about the smell, the stingy sensation, and others. I can say that those who tried this out and gave 2 stars are the ones who don't like sacrificing in the name of beauty!!! Believe me, your sacrifice worth it!!

I will continue using this product.

on 8/15/2010 3:14:00 AM

I mix this with ACV, 1/8 to 1/4 tsp. of sulfur powder (check Amazon), a few drops of lavender (or other EO like tea tree) and jojoba oils, and occasionally lemon juice and plain yogurt. I leave it on for about one hour. It's exceptionally cleansing, tightening, and purifying. I imagine you could add pureed banana, avocado, turmeric powder, herbal teas, etc. to customize for your skin type. Rather than having many expensive tubes of brand name items, it's nice to have an inexpensive, highly effective, pure, non-preservative and freshly-made mask on hand.

on 9/18/2010 3:30:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Skin background: oily skin, prone to breakouts mostly on my forehead and cheeks near my mouth and I scar pretty easily. I was sick of my acne so I tried Acne Free thinking it would help but NOOOO it was a terrible waste of money. The benzoyl peroxide in this wayyyy harsh system made my skin red, flaky, dry, tight especially under my eyes I literally had WRINKLES. I had crows feet. I'm 19 years old. After that I decided I was going to try an all natural skincare regime and now I'm using: Dr. Bronner's tea tree oil soap, witch hazel toner, pure jojoba oil as a moisturizer, pure tea tree oil as acne medication and this clay.

My skin now: CLEAR, smooth, no whiteheads lurking under the surface, no blackheads, no pimples, NO CYSTS, scars are still there but I might try an AHA lotion to get rid of those, but mostly CLEAR CLEAR SKIN. I haven't had clear skin since I was 13. It's just a testament to the power and gentleness of natural products.

I definitely attribute most of this marked improvement to this clay. It's amazing, I saw clearer less congested skin on the first application. I've applied it for two weeks every 2-3 days and it's seriously a miracle. Other reviewers have talked about what it feels like so I won't go into it, but I do suggest mixing it with apple cider vinegar and NOT water as the first time I mixed it with water and it was a clumpy, nasty mess. Still worked beautifully but it was a pain in the ass. The ACV makes it smooth and almost a whipped consistency. This clay is basically a vacuum for yours pores and gets everything out, oil, dirt, blackheads, whiteheads, bacteria, you name it. When I wash it off my skin is soft, smooth, a bit red (only for around 20 minutes) and BLACKHEAD AND WHITEHEAD FREE. I always moisturize with jojoba oil after because I don't want it to dry my skin out. In conclusion: this is a miracle product and my HG face mask and it's awesome for oily or acneic skin. GO BUY IT. Plus I got a HUGE 2 pound container at Whole Foods for $10. It will probably last me a year.

on 9/18/2010 8:23:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

I just used Aztec Secret for the first time. I have normal/combination skin with pores slightly bigger than I'd like and blackheads on and around my nose and a couple on my chin. Those are officially ALL GONE.

I mixed according to the instructions, half ACV, half Aztec Secret and added a few drops of tea tree oil for its cleansing properties.

HUGE CAVEAT: I had read a couple reviews and they stuck in my head (some people said they slept with this mask on) so my friend and I left the mask on for 1.5hrs. Do NOT do this! At least not the first time! And I would not add tea tree oil, not to this mask at least. Only after I saw my face did I kick myself for not reading the instructions and relying on a few people's reviews (and my friend who had fallen asleep with this concoction on probably wanted to kick me as well). Anyway, it has been over 2hrs since I took off the mask and my skin still looks like I have second degree burns on my right cheek. I put apricot kernel oil on my face after washing the mask off and hoped for the best. I will definitely use this again WELL after my face heals. I will try it with ACV again for a much shorter period of time and, otherwise, I'll try it with water to see if it was the ACV. Either way, this mask removed blackheads I didn't even know existed until there were all these empty pores.

UPDATE: It's the next day, it has been about 20hrs and I woke up and the burn mark is now darker. I am extremely upset that in the quest for perfect skin I have what looks like a potential scar on my face. This obviously is not because of an ingredient on the mask but due to me leaving it on too long or perhaps having put too much vinegar or the tea tree oil, who knows. Just wanted to emphasize following the instructions with respect to time, I don't know how some of these reviewers sleep in this mask...definitely try it out for 10 minutes or so and see how it feels...you can always go a little longer the second time. I may have to go to a dermatologist.

UPDATE: upon the suggestion of a kind reviewer, I went out and bought vitamin E oil and luckily aloe grows wild here. I cut fresh aloe and gently patted it onto the three areas of my face where I had developed what looked like scabs and followed it with the vitamin E oil. I did this about 3-5 times per day I think (essentially, any time I realized that my skin was not oily, I put the aloe and vitamin E back on) and only put on my usual spf 100 when I had to walk outside. Usually I am all for letting my skin breathe, especially since my skin usually reacts negatively to any type of topical medication. In this case, however, I was afraid of the scabs getting dry and 'breaking off'. After just a few days, the burns seemed somewhat lighter. After a week the scabs started gently coming off on their own. About 9 days later, the last of the scabs gently rubbed off and the only thing that was left was beautiful skin!

Check out my pictures of my burn and how it looked after a week of using Vitamin E and fresh aloe every day.

Another reviewer told me that a good treatment after a burn like that was egg yolk (with omegas if possible) with turmeric. If my skin ever goes haywire again after an overzealous treatment, I'll make sure to try this!

UPDATE: I just used the mask again for the first time since the horrible burn. I used about 2 tbsp of the powder, about 3 tbsp water, 1 tbsp Rose & Glycerin water, only a couple drops of ACV to take out some of the clumps and I put in a drop of lavender EO instead of tea tree and I left it on for 15 minutes. Not using all ACV definitely leaves this stuff clumpy but oh well. I do find that the blackheads are still on and around my nose which was not the case last time. I put on a Bioré strip right afterward and my nose looked totally clear.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool

I like this mask a lot. I bought this to help deep clean my skin once a week or less as sometimes I don't always treat it perfect. I have clear, normal-dry skin that gets drier in the winter. The first time I used this (mixed with just water) I think I left it on too long as it left flaky patches on my forehead and around my mouth. I was annoyed with myself too as I had a date that night and I wanted my skin to look perfect! LOL. Oh well. I lived and learned so now I leave it on no more than 15 minutes and do it no more than once per week and I don't do it right before I am going somewhere I want to look my best for.

It does deep clean and makes my skin smoother. I use water so it tends to get clumpy. I just get a plastic fork and sit my butt in front of the TV and mix it and whisk it for about 5 minutes. It gets almost 100% smooth. Removal is okay as I splash my face with warm water a few times to loosen it up and then continue to do that until it's gone. Now I apply a thin layer of Argan or Jojoba oil afterwards to help with any dryness.

All in all this is a great mask once you get the hang of it. It is kind of a PITA with the measuring and mixing and removing, but other than that I would probably buy this again.