Boots Soltan Facial Sun Defence Cream SPF30

Filtered by eye Color : Brown
No Image

3.9

on 9/10/2010 7:46:00 PM

This cream is of a heavier consistency which isn't too greasy on the skin. However putting on the recommended amount makes my skin look very White. Even after the cream feel absorbed. I feel it does protect my face from sun damage.

Cons: stained my dress - think it has bleach mixed in...

To be honest the only reason I use this product religiously is the UVA***** protection. Seems to do it's job though, although it's a bit too oily for me as long as I apply sparingly and give it time to absorb it's ok. I find after long-term use you really start to notice the effect it has on your skin. Although I'm spot-prone, it doesn't break me out, moisturizes well and applied correctly does provide a decent (suppose 'average' is a suitable word) makeup base. Overall, a worthy, reliable product, one thing I can say for sure, is that long term you won't regret using this product. Good luck.

on 7/13/2009 10:48:00 AM

HG! i wear this everyday. makes my face look healthily dewy but i still use powder as i have oily face. doesnt break me out :) i went to a festival recently and i became burnt near my parting where i hadnt put this so i can really see that this works. Keeps my face perfectly moisurised, but its not too greasy +it has antioxidants :D:D

on 11/10/2008 11:52:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

I was going to hold off reviewing this until after a trip to hotter climates but wanted to post ingredients and add that this is a new formulation for 2008. I've been testing both the spf30 and spf50. I have to say they are great. The products are slightly tinted and absorb easily - it is not difficult to apply 1/4 tsp. For the first 10 minutes or so my face shines like a beacon but it does mattify afterwards.
I've had no reactions to this at all and although I am not massively prone to breakouts I have had problems with a number of sunscreens (including the old formula Soltans) in the past - I think it might be Shea Butter but I'm not sure.
I have noticed that the spf30 has a slightly better finish but I'll still use the 50+ on 'beach' days.
If nothing else it is a hugely practical, stable and affordable SS for days when sun exposure is unavoidable. I will update on use in the heat. It would be ironic if this was really only usable in UK winters when such a high PPD protection is not such an issue!
It is one of very few SSs that are still in the shops in November and still on BOGOF.

Update:
3 months in tropical sunshine using Diacneal in the evenings and my skin was protected and didn't change colour. The PPD on this must be very high. It is sticky and on windy days my face felt like sandpaper as the sand stuck even hours after application. I find it hard to wear TM or make up on top of this without looking too shiny but it's fine on its own. Still on the lookout for something as protective but more elegant - aren't we all!
The ingredient list below is actually for the spf50+

Aqua, C12-15 alkyl benzoate, Glycerin, Octocrylene, Cyclopentasiloxane, Isotridecyl salicyate, Butyl methoxydibenzoylmethane, Alcohol denat, Cyclohexasiloxane, Polysilicone-15, Methylene bis-benzotriazolyl tetramethylbutylphenol, Bis-ethylhexyloxyphenol methoxyphenyl triazine, Dimethicone, Cetyl alcohol, Potassium cetyl phosphate, C18-36 acid gycal ester, Titanium dioxide, Diethylhexyl butamido triazine, Lauryl methacrylate/glycol dimethacrylate cross polymer, Phenoxyethanol, Acrylamide/ammonium acrylate copolymer, Glyceryl stearate, PEG-100 stearate, Mica, Polyisobutene, Parfum, Decyl glucoside, Dimethiconol, Tocophenyl acetate, Xanthan gum, Sodium PCA, Vitis vinifera seed oil, Sodium ascorbyl phosphate, Polysorbate 20, Tetrasodium EDTA, Dimethyl oxazolodine, Dipropylene glycol, Butylene glycol, Propylene glycol, Panax ginseng extract, Manganese dioxide, Aminomethyl propanol, CI 77891.

on 8/15/2007 9:26:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Other

I tried the new formulation of this cream, but it is too greasy for my combination/oily t-zone skin. This cream is thick and not very easy to rub in, after applying this product my face looked very oily. It did stop my face from burning in the sun, but it is probably more suited for those with dry skin.

on 7/13/2007 5:21:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

After trying out a few other sunscreens this week, I realised how truly great this one is. I have oily/combination skin and mild acne. This doesn't break me out, doesn't leave a white cast (my skin is light brown,) and is light and non-greasy. It's always on 2 for 1, so it's also very cheap. It doesn't leave my skin completely matte, but it doesn't leave it shiny either. I find it feels like a lotion going on, and is quite refreshing.

I don't use a moisturiser with it, and I reapply during the day, and after breaking out from other sunscreens, which also left my skin looking generally blah, after one day's use of this my skin is already looking and feeling much better. I actually prefer this to most moisturisers I've used, and I've used lots. And most of them were fairly expensive.

I have the SPF 30 and 50+, they're both great, and they even seem to make my complexion look more even while I'm wearing them. I've used these for a while now, and I don't think I'll be straying again.

Edit: I still love the SPF50+, but I've gone off the SPF30 - the scent is stronger, and it's greasier. I've changed my overall rating, as this is for the SPF30, but not by much, as it's still better than others I've tried, and cheaper than most.

Edit again: I realise now that I had the old version of the SPF50, which for some reason was still on the shelves at my local Boots. I can't stand the new version.

on 6/2/2007 9:30:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

My skin is combination/acne-prone, and can sometimes be a bit sensitive, but this sunscreen is very good as it does not make me break-out or irritate my skin. It has a pleasant texture which does not leave the skin greasy. I have some marks from previous blemishes, and this helps to give a slight radiance which makes my skin appear more even -the winning factor for me! My skin is NC40 and this leaves no whiteness on the skin. I can use this over my normal moisturiser or on its own. I took this on holiday with me to India where on most days it was 35 degrees celsius + , and it was perfect. I got this for 2 for 1 at Boots, so it good value. Would definitely repurchase.

This is not greasy, and offers great protection. The only con is that it isn't sold in the US ...when it ran out, I was very unhappy.

on 6/30/2006 4:57:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I really like this sunscreen. I have sensitive and quite dry skin, and wear it on top of moisturiser in the morning. It is really light, easily absorbed, no white cast and smells of summer. I do not find it a hassle to put on whereas I did with the Avene SPF 50 cream, which is really thick and takes ages to sink in. The UVA protection is really good too. And I don't find it a problem to reapply during the day either - I carry a tube in my handbag.

Good stuff, especially as I only buy it when it's 2 for 1 at Boots!

on 6/10/2006 8:36:00 AM

This is best best sunscreen for the face I have found. Best because it actually has 5 star UVA protection! No other facial sunscreen I have tried has this high of a rating. Also the best because it leaves no white cast. It is moisturising, so no need to use a seperate moisturiser. I brush a bit of translucent power over it after application, and I remain shine-free. (And I have oily skin.) It doesn't break me out, texture is light, fragrance is very slight. Well done Boots!