Boots Soltan Facial Sun Defence Cream SPF30

Filtered by hair type : Wavy
No Image

on 11/10/2008 11:52:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

I was going to hold off reviewing this until after a trip to hotter climates but wanted to post ingredients and add that this is a new formulation for 2008. I've been testing both the spf30 and spf50. I have to say they are great. The products are slightly tinted and absorb easily - it is not difficult to apply 1/4 tsp. For the first 10 minutes or so my face shines like a beacon but it does mattify afterwards.
I've had no reactions to this at all and although I am not massively prone to breakouts I have had problems with a number of sunscreens (including the old formula Soltans) in the past - I think it might be Shea Butter but I'm not sure.
I have noticed that the spf30 has a slightly better finish but I'll still use the 50+ on 'beach' days.
If nothing else it is a hugely practical, stable and affordable SS for days when sun exposure is unavoidable. I will update on use in the heat. It would be ironic if this was really only usable in UK winters when such a high PPD protection is not such an issue!
It is one of very few SSs that are still in the shops in November and still on BOGOF.

Update:
3 months in tropical sunshine using Diacneal in the evenings and my skin was protected and didn't change colour. The PPD on this must be very high. It is sticky and on windy days my face felt like sandpaper as the sand stuck even hours after application. I find it hard to wear TM or make up on top of this without looking too shiny but it's fine on its own. Still on the lookout for something as protective but more elegant - aren't we all!
The ingredient list below is actually for the spf50+

Aqua, C12-15 alkyl benzoate, Glycerin, Octocrylene, Cyclopentasiloxane, Isotridecyl salicyate, Butyl methoxydibenzoylmethane, Alcohol denat, Cyclohexasiloxane, Polysilicone-15, Methylene bis-benzotriazolyl tetramethylbutylphenol, Bis-ethylhexyloxyphenol methoxyphenyl triazine, Dimethicone, Cetyl alcohol, Potassium cetyl phosphate, C18-36 acid gycal ester, Titanium dioxide, Diethylhexyl butamido triazine, Lauryl methacrylate/glycol dimethacrylate cross polymer, Phenoxyethanol, Acrylamide/ammonium acrylate copolymer, Glyceryl stearate, PEG-100 stearate, Mica, Polyisobutene, Parfum, Decyl glucoside, Dimethiconol, Tocophenyl acetate, Xanthan gum, Sodium PCA, Vitis vinifera seed oil, Sodium ascorbyl phosphate, Polysorbate 20, Tetrasodium EDTA, Dimethyl oxazolodine, Dipropylene glycol, Butylene glycol, Propylene glycol, Panax ginseng extract, Manganese dioxide, Aminomethyl propanol, CI 77891.

on 4/10/2008 5:30:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

Too greasy for my oily skin, and makes my eyes uncomfortable

on 6/2/2007 9:30:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

My skin is combination/acne-prone, and can sometimes be a bit sensitive, but this sunscreen is very good as it does not make me break-out or irritate my skin. It has a pleasant texture which does not leave the skin greasy. I have some marks from previous blemishes, and this helps to give a slight radiance which makes my skin appear more even -the winning factor for me! My skin is NC40 and this leaves no whiteness on the skin. I can use this over my normal moisturiser or on its own. I took this on holiday with me to India where on most days it was 35 degrees celsius + , and it was perfect. I got this for 2 for 1 at Boots, so it good value. Would definitely repurchase.

on 6/10/2006 8:36:00 AM

This is best best sunscreen for the face I have found. Best because it actually has 5 star UVA protection! No other facial sunscreen I have tried has this high of a rating. Also the best because it leaves no white cast. It is moisturising, so no need to use a seperate moisturiser. I brush a bit of translucent power over it after application, and I remain shine-free. (And I have oily skin.) It doesn't break me out, texture is light, fragrance is very slight. Well done Boots!