Boots Soltan Facial Sun Defence Cream SPF30

No Image

2.5

on 11/10/2008 11:52:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

I was going to hold off reviewing this until after a trip to hotter climates but wanted to post ingredients and add that this is a new formulation for 2008. I've been testing both the spf30 and spf50. I have to say they are great. The products are slightly tinted and absorb easily - it is not difficult to apply 1/4 tsp. For the first 10 minutes or so my face shines like a beacon but it does mattify afterwards.
I've had no reactions to this at all and although I am not massively prone to breakouts I have had problems with a number of sunscreens (including the old formula Soltans) in the past - I think it might be Shea Butter but I'm not sure.
I have noticed that the spf30 has a slightly better finish but I'll still use the 50+ on 'beach' days.
If nothing else it is a hugely practical, stable and affordable SS for days when sun exposure is unavoidable. I will update on use in the heat. It would be ironic if this was really only usable in UK winters when such a high PPD protection is not such an issue!
It is one of very few SSs that are still in the shops in November and still on BOGOF.

Update:
3 months in tropical sunshine using Diacneal in the evenings and my skin was protected and didn't change colour. The PPD on this must be very high. It is sticky and on windy days my face felt like sandpaper as the sand stuck even hours after application. I find it hard to wear TM or make up on top of this without looking too shiny but it's fine on its own. Still on the lookout for something as protective but more elegant - aren't we all!
The ingredient list below is actually for the spf50+

Aqua, C12-15 alkyl benzoate, Glycerin, Octocrylene, Cyclopentasiloxane, Isotridecyl salicyate, Butyl methoxydibenzoylmethane, Alcohol denat, Cyclohexasiloxane, Polysilicone-15, Methylene bis-benzotriazolyl tetramethylbutylphenol, Bis-ethylhexyloxyphenol methoxyphenyl triazine, Dimethicone, Cetyl alcohol, Potassium cetyl phosphate, C18-36 acid gycal ester, Titanium dioxide, Diethylhexyl butamido triazine, Lauryl methacrylate/glycol dimethacrylate cross polymer, Phenoxyethanol, Acrylamide/ammonium acrylate copolymer, Glyceryl stearate, PEG-100 stearate, Mica, Polyisobutene, Parfum, Decyl glucoside, Dimethiconol, Tocophenyl acetate, Xanthan gum, Sodium PCA, Vitis vinifera seed oil, Sodium ascorbyl phosphate, Polysorbate 20, Tetrasodium EDTA, Dimethyl oxazolodine, Dipropylene glycol, Butylene glycol, Propylene glycol, Panax ginseng extract, Manganese dioxide, Aminomethyl propanol, CI 77891.

At first I thought this was great - cheap, not too scented, not too "whitish" on my skin (which is: fair, a little sensitive).
Then it broke me out, and blocked my pores.
Sorry to write a neg review, but no no no. The tube I have left I may try as a sunblock on my arms and hope it doesn't do any damage there!

on 7/27/2007 9:23:00 AM

This used to be a great product. I used it for about four years, forsaking all others. Lightweight, reasonably priced, made my skin look even-toned ... okay, maybe a slight shine, but nothing I couldn't cope with. But guess what? The Boots boffins couldn't leave well enough alone. They've reformulated and 'improved' it. Well, not from my point of view They've added shea butter and other ingredients, and now if I use it my face shines like an oil-slick! I'll never repurchase this product again.

on 1/29/2006 7:36:00 PM

The Soltan Facial Sun Defence Creams (available in SPF15 and SPF30 flavours) use Optisol, a new form of TiO2 'doped' with Manganese, thanks to the wonders of nanotechnology. The Manganese makes the TiO2 a better UVA filter, stabilises the Avobenzone and cuts down the production of free radicals. Since it's not white but a semi-flesh toned colour, Optisol is much more cosmetically elegant than vanilla TiO2.