Boots Soltan Facial Sun Defence Cream SPF30

Filtered by skin type : Other
No Image

4.7

on 4/8/2007 3:49:00 PM

The Soltan faces range was reformulated this year, so reviews prior to this are for the older versions.

The most notable change is the addition of Tinosorb S and M (spf50+ vrs only) - which increase the uva protection of these ss's substantially. They now have truly high ppd's, and ive heard rumours that the spf50+ has a ppd of 25.

What I dont like is the addition of fragrance, and shea butter. The fragrance in them is a weaker vrs of the one that is in the regular soltan line - its very artificial smelling, and i believe it irritates my eyes. The shea butter also adds more emmoliancy to this which i dont like as it was fine before.

I like that they have changed the butylene glycol to glycerin, as this is more skin friendly.

The finish is somewhat similar to the old vrs. Its a little tacky in places, and there is a fleshy cast left in places that can streak if not rubbed in properly. I have a tube of both the new spf30 and 50+ vrs, and i have to say overall i think i prefered the older vrs more. After wearing the new one for a couple of days i developed a couple of blemishes around my chin/jaw. I also think they arent as cosmetically elegant as the older vrs's.

I am somewhat dissapointed with this new change. I feel they could have done better to make them more pleasant to wear.

here are the ingred's of the spf50+

Aqua, C12-15 alkyl benzoate, Glycerin, Octocrylene, Butyl methoxydibenzoylmethane, Isotridecyl salicyate, Isononyl isononanoate, C18-36 acid glycol ester, Polyglyceryl-3 methyglucose distearate, Polysilicone-15, Methylene bis-benzotriazolyl tetramethylbutylphenol, Bis-ethylhexyloxyphenol methoxyphenyl triazine, Butyrospermum parkii butter, Dimethicone, Titanium dioxide, Diethylhexyl butamido triazine, Sorbitan stearate, Phenoxyethanol, Cetyl alcohol, Polysorbate 20, Mica, Decyl glucoside, Tocopherol acetate, Parfum, Xanthan gum, Acrylates/vinyl isodecanoate crosspolymer, Sodium ascorbyl phosphate, Vitis vinifera, Sucrose cocoate, Dimethyl oxazolidine, Potassium hydroxide, Tetrasodium EDTA, Butylene glycol, Propylene glycol, Panax ginseng, Manganese dioxide, Aminomethyl propanol, CI 77891.

Edit I decided to give this another go, and I really like it! I prefere the spf30 vrs over the 50 though as leaves less trace. The fragrance doesnt bother me anymore unless i get it right near my eyes, so I just avoid this. I havent broken out this time, so last time must have been from something else. I even like the addition of shea butter in this now, and i appreciate the glycerin more - my skin feels smoother after a day wearing it, well hydrated as opposed to dry from wearing LRP dermo peds spray.

EditHhhmmm, ok - so I think this does mildly break me out if I wear it for a few hours. And apparently its not as matte as I thought it looked... was talking to my mum who expressed her dislike of the 'grease' I insist on putting on my face all the time. lol continued >>

This is not greasy, and offers great protection. The only con is that it isn't sold in the US ...when it ran out, I was very unhappy.

on 6/9/2006 7:19:00 AM

I've just started wearing this in SPF30 (there's also an SPF 50 available) with hopes of being able to wear it everyday with powder base on top as summer makeup.

So far, so good. With the addition of powder, it dries to a far more matte finish on my oily skin than previous SPF30s I've tried (L'Oreal Solar Expertise for the face most recently). Scent is inoffensive.

Obviously I need to be sure that I don't burn with moderate exposure but I'm pleased so far.

The only disappointment is that it's quite a small 50ml tube for around £9 which might be a disincentive to applying it as liberally as you should. They could easily have made a handbag size of 75 or 100 ml.