Boots Soltan Facial Sun Defence Cream SPF30

No Image

3.6

on 4/8/2007 3:49:00 PM

The Soltan faces range was reformulated this year, so reviews prior to this are for the older versions.

The most notable change is the addition of Tinosorb S and M (spf50+ vrs only) - which increase the uva protection of these ss's substantially. They now have truly high ppd's, and ive heard rumours that the spf50+ has a ppd of 25.

What I dont like is the addition of fragrance, and shea butter. The fragrance in them is a weaker vrs of the one that is in the regular soltan line - its very artificial smelling, and i believe it irritates my eyes. The shea butter also adds more emmoliancy to this which i dont like as it was fine before.

I like that they have changed the butylene glycol to glycerin, as this is more skin friendly.

The finish is somewhat similar to the old vrs. Its a little tacky in places, and there is a fleshy cast left in places that can streak if not rubbed in properly. I have a tube of both the new spf30 and 50+ vrs, and i have to say overall i think i prefered the older vrs more. After wearing the new one for a couple of days i developed a couple of blemishes around my chin/jaw. I also think they arent as cosmetically elegant as the older vrs's.

I am somewhat dissapointed with this new change. I feel they could have done better to make them more pleasant to wear.

here are the ingred's of the spf50+

Aqua, C12-15 alkyl benzoate, Glycerin, Octocrylene, Butyl methoxydibenzoylmethane, Isotridecyl salicyate, Isononyl isononanoate, C18-36 acid glycol ester, Polyglyceryl-3 methyglucose distearate, Polysilicone-15, Methylene bis-benzotriazolyl tetramethylbutylphenol, Bis-ethylhexyloxyphenol methoxyphenyl triazine, Butyrospermum parkii butter, Dimethicone, Titanium dioxide, Diethylhexyl butamido triazine, Sorbitan stearate, Phenoxyethanol, Cetyl alcohol, Polysorbate 20, Mica, Decyl glucoside, Tocopherol acetate, Parfum, Xanthan gum, Acrylates/vinyl isodecanoate crosspolymer, Sodium ascorbyl phosphate, Vitis vinifera, Sucrose cocoate, Dimethyl oxazolidine, Potassium hydroxide, Tetrasodium EDTA, Butylene glycol, Propylene glycol, Panax ginseng, Manganese dioxide, Aminomethyl propanol, CI 77891.

Edit I decided to give this another go, and I really like it! I prefere the spf30 vrs over the 50 though as leaves less trace. The fragrance doesnt bother me anymore unless i get it right near my eyes, so I just avoid this. I havent broken out this time, so last time must have been from something else. I even like the addition of shea butter in this now, and i appreciate the glycerin more - my skin feels smoother after a day wearing it, well hydrated as opposed to dry from wearing LRP dermo peds spray.

EditHhhmmm, ok - so I think this does mildly break me out if I wear it for a few hours. And apparently its not as matte as I thought it looked... was talking to my mum who expressed her dislike of the 'grease' I insist on putting on my face all the time. lol continued >>

on 11/10/2008 11:52:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

I was going to hold off reviewing this until after a trip to hotter climates but wanted to post ingredients and add that this is a new formulation for 2008. I've been testing both the spf30 and spf50. I have to say they are great. The products are slightly tinted and absorb easily - it is not difficult to apply 1/4 tsp. For the first 10 minutes or so my face shines like a beacon but it does mattify afterwards.
I've had no reactions to this at all and although I am not massively prone to breakouts I have had problems with a number of sunscreens (including the old formula Soltans) in the past - I think it might be Shea Butter but I'm not sure.
I have noticed that the spf30 has a slightly better finish but I'll still use the 50+ on 'beach' days.
If nothing else it is a hugely practical, stable and affordable SS for days when sun exposure is unavoidable. I will update on use in the heat. It would be ironic if this was really only usable in UK winters when such a high PPD protection is not such an issue!
It is one of very few SSs that are still in the shops in November and still on BOGOF.

Update:
3 months in tropical sunshine using Diacneal in the evenings and my skin was protected and didn't change colour. The PPD on this must be very high. It is sticky and on windy days my face felt like sandpaper as the sand stuck even hours after application. I find it hard to wear TM or make up on top of this without looking too shiny but it's fine on its own. Still on the lookout for something as protective but more elegant - aren't we all!
The ingredient list below is actually for the spf50+

Aqua, C12-15 alkyl benzoate, Glycerin, Octocrylene, Cyclopentasiloxane, Isotridecyl salicyate, Butyl methoxydibenzoylmethane, Alcohol denat, Cyclohexasiloxane, Polysilicone-15, Methylene bis-benzotriazolyl tetramethylbutylphenol, Bis-ethylhexyloxyphenol methoxyphenyl triazine, Dimethicone, Cetyl alcohol, Potassium cetyl phosphate, C18-36 acid gycal ester, Titanium dioxide, Diethylhexyl butamido triazine, Lauryl methacrylate/glycol dimethacrylate cross polymer, Phenoxyethanol, Acrylamide/ammonium acrylate copolymer, Glyceryl stearate, PEG-100 stearate, Mica, Polyisobutene, Parfum, Decyl glucoside, Dimethiconol, Tocophenyl acetate, Xanthan gum, Sodium PCA, Vitis vinifera seed oil, Sodium ascorbyl phosphate, Polysorbate 20, Tetrasodium EDTA, Dimethyl oxazolodine, Dipropylene glycol, Butylene glycol, Propylene glycol, Panax ginseng extract, Manganese dioxide, Aminomethyl propanol, CI 77891.

on 1/29/2006 7:36:00 PM

The Soltan Facial Sun Defence Creams (available in SPF15 and SPF30 flavours) use Optisol, a new form of TiO2 'doped' with Manganese, thanks to the wonders of nanotechnology. The Manganese makes the TiO2 a better UVA filter, stabilises the Avobenzone and cuts down the production of free radicals. Since it's not white but a semi-flesh toned colour, Optisol is much more cosmetically elegant than vanilla TiO2.

on 4/10/2008 5:30:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

Too greasy for my oily skin, and makes my eyes uncomfortable

At first I thought this was great - cheap, not too scented, not too "whitish" on my skin (which is: fair, a little sensitive).
Then it broke me out, and blocked my pores.
Sorry to write a neg review, but no no no. The tube I have left I may try as a sunblock on my arms and hope it doesn't do any damage there!

on 8/7/2006 7:44:00 AM

I have this in the Factor 30, and also the Factor 50 for the recent weird hot British summer weather. I love the 5 star UVA rating and the good UVB protection, plus it sinks in quickly, the pinky tint means it doesn't turn my pallid redhead skin any whiter than it already is, and since Soltan is nearly always 2 for 1 at Boots, it works out at bargain prices - meaning I keep a tube of this in the car, in my handbag, by the door, all over the place for frequent applications. What's not to love?

on 1/29/2014 5:12:00 AM

I have rosacea and veeeeerrrrry dry skin, and this is my HG product. Light-weight, easily absorbed and effective. I don't wear any foundation or concealer, but the slight white cast that this SPF creates actually gives me a much better skin tone - I'm extremely pale so it'll probably only work for the super super fair. Though the formula is a little greasey it doesn't sit on my skin, and after 5 minutes it's gone. I just hope they never discontinue it :) After using it, people have told me I'm 'glowing' - which never happens when I'm not wearing it, so something must be working!

on 4/21/2008 10:11:00 AM

I got this in Boots 2 for 1 deal - 2 bottles cost me 12euros.I like it as it leaves no white cast - it does add a little glow as noted on the bottle.I have dry skin so it soaks this up quickly - but always leaves my skin supple. MU application is no problem over it - i dont need an extra moisturiser underneath it.A good sunscreen that i will continue to use unless any problems arise.

Edit: I also got the SPF50 version & find it great - the only difference being that it has a higher protection...it still works well under MU & leaves no white cast!I upped this to 4 lippies!

on 9/19/2007 10:49:00 AM

Broke me out after 2 days. My very fair skin didn't burn but it's going in the bin.

on 7/27/2007 9:23:00 AM

This used to be a great product. I used it for about four years, forsaking all others. Lightweight, reasonably priced, made my skin look even-toned ... okay, maybe a slight shine, but nothing I couldn't cope with. But guess what? The Boots boffins couldn't leave well enough alone. They've reformulated and 'improved' it. Well, not from my point of view They've added shea butter and other ingredients, and now if I use it my face shines like an oil-slick! I'll never repurchase this product again.