Boots Soltan Facial Sun Defence Cream SPF30

No Image

3.6

on 1/26/2006 11:16:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

This is the only line of sunscreens I'm aware of that has five star UVA protection; in fact, the first sunscreen ingredient listsed is in the UVA range, which is nice because I find most sunscreens have a lot more UVB protectants than A.

This cream is almost lotion like it has such a thin consistency, sinks in really well, none of this white residue business.

As with all sunscreens, it does leave a shinyish finish, but for a sunscreen, it's not not too bad; it's not oil slick looking just in need of some powder.

I don't think it contains any perfumes as the only scent there is is a slight dull chemical smell, which I actually prefer. It is formulated for sensitive skin. This is very easy to apply and use coz the skin soaks it up so well and it doesn't feel as occlusive on the skin as other sunscreens I've tried.

This is the sunscreen for me from now on because of the impressive UVA protection and the nice formulation. It was something like 11.80 for a 50ml tube-great size for putting in a handbag.

on 1/29/2006 7:36:00 PM

The Soltan Facial Sun Defence Creams (available in SPF15 and SPF30 flavours) use Optisol, a new form of TiO2 'doped' with Manganese, thanks to the wonders of nanotechnology. The Manganese makes the TiO2 a better UVA filter, stabilises the Avobenzone and cuts down the production of free radicals. Since it's not white but a semi-flesh toned colour, Optisol is much more cosmetically elegant than vanilla TiO2.

on 5/30/2006 12:52:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Very cheap and doesn't break me out like most sunblock,the texture similar Laroche posay anthelios XL spf50+ creme fondante (new formulated) which isn't feel greasy or leave white mask on myskin.this's my alternative sunblock i can't use on my hypersensitive skin.

on 6/9/2006 7:19:00 AM

I've just started wearing this in SPF30 (there's also an SPF 50 available) with hopes of being able to wear it everyday with powder base on top as summer makeup.

So far, so good. With the addition of powder, it dries to a far more matte finish on my oily skin than previous SPF30s I've tried (L'Oreal Solar Expertise for the face most recently). Scent is inoffensive.

Obviously I need to be sure that I don't burn with moderate exposure but I'm pleased so far.

The only disappointment is that it's quite a small 50ml tube for around 9 which might be a disincentive to applying it as liberally as you should. They could easily have made a handbag size of 75 or 100 ml.

on 6/10/2006 8:36:00 AM

This is best best sunscreen for the face I have found. Best because it actually has 5 star UVA protection! No other facial sunscreen I have tried has this high of a rating. Also the best because it leaves no white cast. It is moisturising, so no need to use a seperate moisturiser. I brush a bit of translucent power over it after application, and I remain shine-free. (And I have oily skin.) It doesn't break me out, texture is light, fragrance is very slight. Well done Boots!

on 6/30/2006 4:57:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I really like this sunscreen. I have sensitive and quite dry skin, and wear it on top of moisturiser in the morning. It is really light, easily absorbed, no white cast and smells of summer. I do not find it a hassle to put on whereas I did with the Avene SPF 50 cream, which is really thick and takes ages to sink in. The UVA protection is really good too. And I don't find it a problem to reapply during the day either - I carry a tube in my handbag.

Good stuff, especially as I only buy it when it's 2 for 1 at Boots!

This is not greasy, and offers great protection. The only con is that it isn't sold in the US ...when it ran out, I was very unhappy.

on 8/7/2006 7:44:00 AM

I have this in the Factor 30, and also the Factor 50 for the recent weird hot British summer weather. I love the 5 star UVA rating and the good UVB protection, plus it sinks in quickly, the pinky tint means it doesn't turn my pallid redhead skin any whiter than it already is, and since Soltan is nearly always 2 for 1 at Boots, it works out at bargain prices - meaning I keep a tube of this in the car, in my handbag, by the door, all over the place for frequent applications. What's not to love?

on 4/8/2007 3:49:00 PM

The Soltan faces range was reformulated this year, so reviews prior to this are for the older versions.

The most notable change is the addition of Tinosorb S and M (spf50+ vrs only) - which increase the uva protection of these ss's substantially. They now have truly high ppd's, and ive heard rumours that the spf50+ has a ppd of 25.

What I dont like is the addition of fragrance, and shea butter. The fragrance in them is a weaker vrs of the one that is in the regular soltan line - its very artificial smelling, and i believe it irritates my eyes. The shea butter also adds more emmoliancy to this which i dont like as it was fine before.

I like that they have changed the butylene glycol to glycerin, as this is more skin friendly.

The finish is somewhat similar to the old vrs. Its a little tacky in places, and there is a fleshy cast left in places that can streak if not rubbed in properly. I have a tube of both the new spf30 and 50+ vrs, and i have to say overall i think i prefered the older vrs more. After wearing the new one for a couple of days i developed a couple of blemishes around my chin/jaw. I also think they arent as cosmetically elegant as the older vrs's.

I am somewhat dissapointed with this new change. I feel they could have done better to make them more pleasant to wear.

here are the ingred's of the spf50+

Aqua, C12-15 alkyl benzoate, Glycerin, Octocrylene, Butyl methoxydibenzoylmethane, Isotridecyl salicyate, Isononyl isononanoate, C18-36 acid glycol ester, Polyglyceryl-3 methyglucose distearate, Polysilicone-15, Methylene bis-benzotriazolyl tetramethylbutylphenol, Bis-ethylhexyloxyphenol methoxyphenyl triazine, Butyrospermum parkii butter, Dimethicone, Titanium dioxide, Diethylhexyl butamido triazine, Sorbitan stearate, Phenoxyethanol, Cetyl alcohol, Polysorbate 20, Mica, Decyl glucoside, Tocopherol acetate, Parfum, Xanthan gum, Acrylates/vinyl isodecanoate crosspolymer, Sodium ascorbyl phosphate, Vitis vinifera, Sucrose cocoate, Dimethyl oxazolidine, Potassium hydroxide, Tetrasodium EDTA, Butylene glycol, Propylene glycol, Panax ginseng, Manganese dioxide, Aminomethyl propanol, CI 77891.

Edit I decided to give this another go, and I really like it! I prefere the spf30 vrs over the 50 though as leaves less trace. The fragrance doesnt bother me anymore unless i get it right near my eyes, so I just avoid this. I havent broken out this time, so last time must have been from something else. I even like the addition of shea butter in this now, and i appreciate the glycerin more - my skin feels smoother after a day wearing it, well hydrated as opposed to dry from wearing LRP dermo peds spray.

EditHhhmmm, ok - so I think this does mildly break me out if I wear it for a few hours. And apparently its not as matte as I thought it looked... was talking to my mum who expressed her dislike of the 'grease' I insist on putting on my face all the time. lol continued >>

on 6/2/2007 9:30:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

My skin is combination/acne-prone, and can sometimes be a bit sensitive, but this sunscreen is very good as it does not make me break-out or irritate my skin. It has a pleasant texture which does not leave the skin greasy. I have some marks from previous blemishes, and this helps to give a slight radiance which makes my skin appear more even -the winning factor for me! My skin is NC40 and this leaves no whiteness on the skin. I can use this over my normal moisturiser or on its own. I took this on holiday with me to India where on most days it was 35 degrees celsius + , and it was perfect. I got this for 2 for 1 at Boots, so it good value. Would definitely repurchase.